Could a 4 cap beat Lydia Ko?

cardoustie

11 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

They use average scores as a metric for ranking and awards in pretty all competitive golf both amateur and professional tours. PGA Vardon Trophy and LPGA Vare Trophy. There is no handicapping and dropping last 10 worst scores of last 20. If average scoring is how they rank/rate pros and high level competitive amateurs, they should use the same system for all golfers. 

Sandbagging is bad enough as it is. Imagine how awful it would be if a professional sandbagger was allowed to throw 12 additional "bad" scores into the mix.

The pros represent what, .01 percent of all golfers? They're incredibly consistent, and they're 8 best scores are probably not a world apart from their average. The rest of us mortals? Not so much.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

Put simply…..per the USGA the handicap is more a measure of your potential, as @ThinkingPlusmentioned, not average. 

The reason is simple.  Handicaps are made so that in general two players, or even multiple players, can have a match where the results would be close to 50-50.  On average a player shoots approximately 3 strokes over his handicap as an average.  So why is everyone’s handicap not just 3 higher?  Because that would skew the results in favor of the higher handicap. One side effect of that would be a disincentive to improve.  A lower handicap player will generally have a narrower score range than the high handicap.  If you were say a 5 handicap would you want to give your 10 handicap buddy a few more strokes because his occasional high scores are MUCH higher?  What does the occasional high score have to do with your ability to play golf?

In a, poorly worded on my part, nutshell that’s is why they use 8 of 20.

Gee, I never shoot 100. I wonder where that came from? Wink. Wink. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

13 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

They use average scores as a metric for ranking and awards in pretty all competitive golf both amateur and professional tours. PGA Vardon Trophy and LPGA Vare Trophy. There is no handicapping and dropping last 10 worst scores of last 20. If average scoring is how they rank/rate pros and high level competitive amateurs, they should use the same system for all golfers. 

Ranking golfers has little to do with handicaps.  Handicaps were created to allow players of differing abilities to compete on somewhat equal footing in match play and stroke play events.  Basing handicaps on an average of somewhat recent subset of all differentials does not provide an adequate solution as far as the ruling bodies are concerned (and most players for that matter).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Put simply…..per the USGA the handicap is more a measure of your potential, as @ThinkingPlusmentioned, not average. 

The reason is simple.  Handicaps are made so that in general two players, or even multiple players, can have a match where the results would be close to 50-50.  On average a player shoots approximately 3 strokes over his handicap as an average.  So why is everyone’s handicap not just 3 higher?  Because that would skew the results in favor of the higher handicap. One side effect of that would be a disincentive to improve.  A lower handicap player will generally have a narrower score range than the high handicap.  If you were say a 5 handicap would you want to give your 10 handicap buddy a few more strokes because his occasional high scores are MUCH higher?  What does the occasional high score have to do with your ability to play golf?

In a, poorly worded on my part, nutshell that’s is why they use 8 of 20.

Already high handicappers have big advantage over lower handicappers in net tournaments. How many low handicaps have you seen win net tournaments? Lower handicappers rarely win any net tournaments because there is much less strokes to gain in relation to their handicaps. Average scores (differential to par adjusted to difficulty of the course) would match players more accurately. Most of the scores of a player would fall around the average with the about the same amount of scores below average and higher than average.

27 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Ranking golfers has little to do with handicaps.  Handicaps were created to allow players of differing abilities to compete on somewhat equal footing in match play and stroke play events.  Basing handicaps on an average of somewhat recent subset of all differentials does not provide an adequate solution as far as the ruling bodies are concerned (and most players for that matter).

Handicaps do not allow for competing on equal footing. Higher handicaps always have a big advantage in net tournaments. When have you seen a lower handicap win a net tournament? Higher handicaps always win the net tournaments because they have many more strokes to play with. 

Edited by tacklingdummy

1 minute ago, tacklingdummy said:

Handicaps do allow for competing on equal footing. Higher handicaps always have a big advantage in net tournaments. When have you seen a lower handicap win a net tournament? Higher handicaps always win the net tournaments because they have many more strokes to play with. 

In my experience high handicappers win net events because they're sandbaggers. That would get exponentially worse if they were allowed to throw in a dozen worse scores. That's reason #1 why I don't play net events.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Handicaps do allow for competing on equal footing. Higher handicaps always have a big advantage in net tournaments. When have you seen a lower handicap win a net tournament? Higher handicaps always win the net tournaments because they have many more strokes to play with. 

Based on the statistical analysis performed by the ruling bodies, your statement is incorrect.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Don't follow or read my opinions then. Simple. It is a debate forum. 😜

Honest debate assumes that someone is truthful and has done their homework.

Unfortunately, you haven’t done your homework on the handicap system. However, there are kind folks here who will educate you as Shilgy has just done. ThinkingPlus might offer her wisdom, too.

For me, I’m still waiting for you to put the time in to understand how slope and course handicaps work as you have displayed your ignorance on those in a different thread.

As Emerson invoked, “Stand on your own two feet!”

Edit: I see that both ThinkingPlus and Argonne69 have added to the educational session.

Edited by JeffreySpicoli
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Honest debate assumes that someone is truthful and has done their homework.

Unfortunately, you haven’t done your homework on the handicap system. However, there are kind folks here who will educate you as Shilgy has just done. ThinkingPlus might offer her wisdom, too.

For me, I’m still waiting for you to put the time in to understand how slope and course handicaps work as you have displayed your ignorance on those in a different thread.

As Emerson invoked, “Stand on your own two feet!”

Edit: I see that both ThinkingPlus and Argonne69 have added to the educational session.

You have yet had any shred of facts to debate your argument. Everything you have said is just opinions, saying I am ignorant and trolling me. Have you even played golf competitively? 

Edited by tacklingdummy

Just now, tacklingdummy said:

You have yet had any shred of facts to debate your argument. Everything you have said is just opinions and saying I am ignorant. Have you even played golf competitively? 

I’m not going to spend my time educating you if you’re not willing to educate yourself.

As far as playing golf competitively, it’s irrelevant to this discussion as it’s an ad hominem appeal. (Do you need to be schooled on logical fallacies, too?)

But that aside, I certainly have played competitive golf.   🤑

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

I’m not going to spend my time educating you if you’re not willing to educate yourself.

As far as playing golf competitively, it’s irrelevant to this discussion as it’s an ad hominem appeal. (Do you need to be schooled on logical fallacies, too?)

But that aside, I certainly have played competitive golf.   🤑

Playing competitive golf is very relevant because you see how the handicapping system directly affects comparing players and competition in both net and scratch tournaments.