Srixon Zx7 vs Callaway Apex Pro 21

AcesAndHoles

I had the opportunity to game the Apex Pro 21 irons this weekend and really enjoyed them. Can anyone provide personal feedback outside technical specs to the Zx7s? I've only had an opportunity to hit a few cheap balls with an out of spec demo iron for the Srixons.

Also, is ball sensitivity a thing for the Callys? I played a few diff balls this weekend as part of my testing and they really gelled with the Chrome Soft X or ProV1s

Edited by AcesAndHoles

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

Not sure really what you mean by “ball sensitivity”. But yes Apex Pro and Zx7 were on my short list this year. 
Looks- I personally prefer the shape of the Pro irons and always have. I felt like the elongated look of the Zx7 didn’t suit my eye. 
Feel- The pros are going to give you a soft but techy pop to them. Like you can feel when you hit it off the toe but you always feel like you’re hitting a good shot because of the hollow body design. The Zx7 reminded me a lot of the T100 from last year that were a very powerful but forged feel. Feel went to Zx7 there 

Numbers- lofts should be slightly strong on the Apex so between that and it being a hollow body might see some lower spin and 4-5 yards farther compared to the ZX7 but not much in it. Find the right shaft that fits you and numbers should be the same. 

I think you need to decide what style of iron you are looking for. The ZX7 is going to be in a slightly more players family, 7MC, T100,921 tour, Xforged/TCB. Where as the Apex Pro is more in the family of “players performance” 770, T100s and 921 Forged. Nothing wrong with either both are great sets of irons, just have to decide between what suits your game better, a little bit more playability or a bit more forgiveness

• Like 1

Hit the Apex Pro at demo days a week or so ago.  High and straight with decent feel.

Purchased the ZX7.  Less high and straight and more distance per number on the sole at least.  I really don't know how lofts compare.

Both are great looking irons. 

The Apex Pro reminded me a lot of the latest P770, which I played for a while and liked.

The ZX7 reminded me most of the Z945.  Same feel with more distance and a bit more forgiving.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

3 hours ago, Tommyboi95 said:

Not sure really what you mean by “ball sensitivity”. But yes Apex Pro and Zx7 were on my short list this year. 
Looks- I personally prefer the shape of the Pro irons and always have. I felt like the elongated look of the Zx7 didn’t suit my eye. 
Feel- The pros are going to give you a soft but techy pop to them. Like you can feel when you hit it off the toe but you always feel like you’re hitting a good shot because of the hollow body design. The Zx7 reminded me a lot of the T100 from last year that were a very powerful but forged feel. Feel went to Zx7 there 

Numbers- lofts should be slightly strong on the Apex so between that and it being a hollow body might see some lower spin and 4-5 yards farther compared to the ZX7 but not much in it. Find the right shaft that fits you and numbers should be the same. 

I think you need to decide what style of iron you are looking for. The ZX7 is going to be in a slightly more players family, 7MC, T100,921 tour, Xforged/TCB. Where as the Apex Pro is more in the family of “players performance” 770, T100s and 921 Forged. Nothing wrong with either both are great sets of irons, just have to decide between what suits your game better, a little bit more playability or a bit more forgiveness

Great feedback. much appreciated. 

I guess maybe it’s a tennis thing but certain racquets have what we call “string sensitivity”. Some strings just synergize really well, others not so much even though you know and live the string usually. Over the course of two days in FL, and two really hard courses filled with water and dangerous greens I played the ProV1, V1x, Chrome Soft X, and a Kirkland V2 at various points. My group lost a small nation’s GDP to the Golf Gods so there was a lot of rotation and lending of balls. 

I typically rate the CSX, V1 and V1X in a similar feel/performance tier ratio for my game. Obviously there are differences, but def don’t mind hitting all three. For some reason the CSX really gelled with the Apex Pros. I played one particular ball for about 12 holes over two days before an iguana and a rogue coconut on the course led to its watery demise. It took an absolute beating but just kept doing what I wanted it to. The Pro V1 had a similar run even though I tend to favor the V1X. I’m not sure if I’m explaining it right but it just seemed to click with the CSX for the shots I was hitting, and feedback I was getting where I normally prefer a bit harder ball. 

I like your description of the Apex, it’s def a “techy pop”. I had great feedback for where I was hitting the ball but still had very solid results on a few toe-y balls, or low struck balls. That “oh crap”moment you should be punished for turning into, “oh, ok, I can fix that”. Anything that was pure made my knees a little weak and my eyes water. 

Spec wise it’s a bit of a surprise. The Apex are actually a bit weaker lofted and have less distance despite the hollow tech. I tend to like Thomas Campbell from 2nd Swing for performance reviews since he is as mechanical as they come. Check the results from their recent vid. He did an excellent job  4D731495-C142-4B37-99B8-85A82A75C648.png.f435b7d0e6fe18ac39e39c9c47265793.png

Ultimately my dilemma is that I’m likely not “qualified” to be playing this level of irons, yet I played some of the most precise golf of my life with the Apex, and hit the ZX7 exceptionally well on a sim. Visually they both look stunning to my eye. There was no point in my two rounds that I thought the Apex clubs were too much, or that they let me down even with tight greens, and wind.  I hit my D7 forged at the range today trying to repeat that magic from the weekend and, well, left feeling rather disappointed. Something was missing, and now I’m stuck thinking about making another purchase I likely don’t need 🤔

93F5A077-FD28-420F-B6F6-5871F9B6774E.png

25E7A488-2719-4089-A2F6-F2FB827E618C.png

1 hour ago, rxk9fan said:

Hit the Apex Pro at demo days a week or so ago.  High and straight with decent feel.

Purchased the ZX7.  Less high and straight and more distance per number on the sole at least.  I really don't know how lofts compare.

Both are great looking irons. 

The Apex Pro reminded me a lot of the latest P770, which I played for a while and liked.

The ZX7 reminded me most of the Z945.  Same feel with more distance and a bit more forgiving.

Yep, I noticed in the other thread. These are my first experience with Srixon so I can’t comment too much except that I went to demo the Zx5 the first time and the guy sneakily gave me a Zx7 after letting me warm up. Didn’t realize until he went to change shaft 🤦‍♂️.

They got me thinking and led me to rent the Apex Pros for the weekend. Now I’ve been looking at the 770s too. They weren’t kidding when they said it’s an addiction. All I know is I’m not a big fan of the Sims, the P790 and the P7MC but would give the 770 shot if I had the opportunity. 

I hit them roughly the same distance which I think is a testament to how sneaky long the ZX7s are for being less tech packed than the Apex Pro's. Essentially the same lofts, same 41* 9iron and a 1* difference in the other irons is negligible.

Feel is miles better in the ZX7s, when I'm hitting a hollow iron I can never really tell what ball I'm hitting so that might explain your ball note. Apex Pros are generally a hair more forgiving, especially in the long irons. 

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

1 hour ago, kwainio said:

I hit them roughly the same distance which I think is a testament to how sneaky long the ZX7s are for being less tech packed than the Apex Pro's. Essentially the same lofts, same 41* 9iron and a 1* difference in the other irons is negligible.

Feel is miles better in the ZX7s, when I'm hitting a hollow iron I can never really tell what ball I'm hitting so that might explain your ball note. Apex Pros are generally a hair more forgiving, especially in the long irons. 

I think that may have something to do with it. I'm used to playing cast clubs and while I'm normally pretty sensitive (but not necessarily caring) these maybe ramped up the feel?. My first dabble into the forged world was with the D7s which have a "forged face" and hollow body. I think I'm noticing more the "proper" feel with these two sets I hit. 

I'm not as worried about distance as I am the other parameters. I hit the ball pretty far and will happily trade 10-15y for the ability to snipe greens or fairways around hazards to set up approaches. Dispersion and distance control are my no 1 priorities right now. Holding greens are secondary so spin is certainly a factor but both these spin more than my setup so it's a plus. 

Edited by AcesAndHoles

I play the Apex Pros in my mid irons and they are excellent but they do make a different sound depending on the ball used. I do think @AcesAndHolesmight notice some ball sensitivity on sound. The Pros can sound a little “clacky” with range balls, but sound is much cleaner with the Snell Black ball I play.

I doubt there is a distance difference vs the Srixons loft for loft. I had my Pros bent 1 degree strong because I hit a high ball. They play great. I don’t think hollow heads automatically increase distance, I think they boost launch and preserve more ballspeed on mishits. The Srixons feel excellent, classic forged feel, but I do doubt they could be as forgiving on wandering contact as the Apex Pros.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The minute ZX7's went in the bag I stopped caring about new irons. 

Hit the Apex Pro's a few weeks ago when being fitted for woods. By comparison they felt awful. 

Didn't hit enough balls to determine if they added anything in terms of distance or forgiveness, but I'd never play them based on feel alone. 

• Like 2

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

8 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I play the Apex Pros in my mid irons and they are excellent but they do make a different sound depending on the ball used. I do think @AcesAndHolesmight notice some ball sensitivity on sound. The Pros can sound a little “clacky” with range balls, but sound is much cleaner with the Snell Black ball I play.

I doubt there is a distance difference vs the Srixons loft for loft. I had my Pros bent 1 degree strong because I hit a high ball. They play great. I don’t think hollow heads automatically increase distance, I think they boost launch and preserve more ballspeed on mishits. The Srixons feel excellent, classic forged feel, but I do doubt they could be as forgiving on wandering contact as the Apex Pros.

Yep, good points all around. Flush is flush, but I think you're right. The hollow construction gives a little more ball speed and forgiveness if you're not as clean a ball striker. I found the Zx7s to be really long for a Player's Performance iron on sim, but can definitely see the Callaway a touch more forgiving. One of the par 3's was missing a tee box so we made our own where we thought it should have been. The ground was.... rough... to say the least and I didn't take it into account. Caught a toe shot that almost came out of the grooves and I still hit the green, even if it was a loooong putt

• 6 months later...

I played another two rounds with the Apex PRO 21 and I'm still very much stuck on them. To the point where I've been debating going for a fitting and just pulling the trigger. My irons feel like blunt instruments comparatively.

Then the golf Gods decided to throw a curve ball. I had an opportunity to hit the older Z765 (I think) irons this weekend with a few friends and... wow... the feel. The indecision is brutal. 

In my personal opinion, Srixon/Cleveland really got it right with the ZX/RTX series.

Currently using ZX7 4 iron and Z Forged from 5-PW.

Longest reigning iron set ever... In fact, my next purchase is going to be the Z Forged replacement (5-PW) rumored to be coming out next year.

Srixon has a dense powerful feel that is very unique to their irons.

Also another thing you might want to consider are the V.T. Soles. You will either love it or hate it.

But if you are the type to get along well with the V.T. Sole, there is no going back to other irons sets... 

Since you mentioned balls, try out Z Star balls (Pro V1 equivalent). 

I was a Mizzy user until I found Srixon irons, Vokey out the bag and replaced with RTX Zipcore (they too have V.T. sole on mid grinds) and started using Z Star balls instead of Pro V1... I was very surprised myself I made this move but I don't think Srixon/Cleveland will be leaving my bag anytime in the near future.

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Yeah, I echo @hypergolf’s sentiments..the ZX7’s are extremely good!!

I haven’t tried the Apex Pro, but I’ve tested lots of other irons, and the feel, control, consistency, and forgiveness of the ZX7’s are off the charts!

I’m not one of those guys that will buy a backup set of ZX7’s and will only play those for the next 15-20 yrs, but I also have no idea what irons will come along that will be able to beat them out!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

6 hours ago, hypergolf said:

In my personal opinion, Srixon/Cleveland really got it right with the ZX/RTX series.

Currently using ZX7 4 iron and Z Forged from 5-PW.

Longest reigning iron set ever... In fact, my next purchase is going to be the Z Forged replacement (5-PW) rumored to be coming out next year.

Srixon has a dense powerful feel that is very unique to their irons.

Also another thing you might want to consider are the V.T. Soles. You will either love it or hate it.

But if you are the type to get along well with the V.T. Sole, there is no going back to other irons sets... 

Since you mentioned balls, try out Z Star balls (Pro V1 equivalent). 

I was a Mizzy user until I found Srixon irons, Vokey out the bag and replaced with RTX Zipcore (they too have V.T. sole on mid grinds) and started using Z Star balls instead of Pro V1... I was very surprised myself I made this move but I don't think Srixon/Cleveland will be leaving my bag anytime in the near future.

I haven't had a chance to try the RTX on course bc I got selected as a reviewer/tester for a  JAWS FT 58* and it pushed me to match the SW for my current wedge setup. Looks are SO sharp with the RTX and they were def on the test list. I think dense/powerful is a good way to put it from my recollection of the Zx7. I wish I could find a set to test out on course. Based on the 5-6 shots I hit of my buddy's I liked the VT sole so much more on course than off the mat even though I'm typically a picker. Haven't had a good chance to try the ZStar balls but have found a few here and there. One of them was literally a rock. I'll have to dabble once I run through my stock of TP5.

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I echo @hypergolf’s sentiments..the ZX7’s are extremely good!!

I haven’t tried the Apex Pro, but I’ve tested lots of other irons, and the feel, control, consistency, and forgiveness of the ZX7’s are off the charts!

I’m not one of those guys that will buy a backup set of ZX7’s and will only play those for the next 15-20 yrs, but I also have no idea what irons will come along that will be able to beat them out!

The Zx7 definitely beat out the old T100s irons for me and the TM equivalent. I guess the reason I lean Apex Pro is because they're a touch more techy and forgiving. My mishit is toward the toe and the Apex seem to still give me generous consistency and control. Def need to hit the Srix again with the most recent version of my swing. 

I’ve owned both.

Apex pro are hollow so they’ll sound & feel different if you’ve only played traditional irons. 

If you’re testing make sure you hit off grass, the Srixon sole plays much differently than the Apex. 

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

11 minutes ago, magnus7319 said:

I’ve owned both.

Apex pro are hollow so they’ll sound & feel different if you’ve only played traditional irons. 

If you’re testing make sure you hit off grass, the Srixon sole plays much differently than the Apex. 

What ended up staying in the bag? As much as I'd like to, I can't justify having both sets 😕. Coming from the D7F they hollow apex still feel amazing.