PXG Fitting Experiences

MikeG

Back to the game after a long and strange 4-year absence. I've been beating balls out on the range and played a few practice holes at one of our local places. I'm 58 (yikes!) and unsure how much swing speed I may have lost or even how the latest clubs and shafts stack up against my current gear. No decision yet, but I'm thinking about a fresh equipment start -- mostly irons, wedges and driver. I've read through a bunch of threads here and went to a couple of local shops. After getting over the sticker shock and empty equipment racks I have a few clubs in mind from several manufacturers. On the other hand PXG intrigues me, and I'd like to give them a good look before I go to a local retailer for other choices. I've scheduled a full bag fitting at the closest spot, which is a private joint in Lincoln, NE. Unfortunately I can't find much info on the place other than it's great for weddings. 

Unsure if it's an indoor or outdoor fitting. Since it's PXG, I'm sure it's not in some dude's single-car garage or 10x30 backyard, but I have no idea about the environment. Either way, I'd appreciate learning about anyone's experience at a local/non-PXG Studio location. Thanks.    

Is it firethorn country club, east of 84th on van dorn'ish?

If so that will be outside I am pretty sure.  Played there a couple of months ago and 3 of our 4 were pxg.  But we are all left handed, so that makes sense.  Playing there again later this month.  Difficult course.

Edited by Lasorcier
Add some

2 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Is it firethorn country club, east of 84th on van dorn'ish?

If so that will be outside I am pretty sure.  Played there a couple of months ago and 3 of our 4 were pxg.  But we are all left handed, so that makes sense.  Playing there again later this month.  Difficult course.

Wilderness Ridge. I had to click on Membership Information to get to the golf section. They have a couple of instruction bays indoors, so it may be inside.

4 lefties in a group? I've never seen that. Pretty cool.  

I’ve been fit twice at our local course where PXG has a bay in the indoor training facility. With good weather, the bay doors open out to the full length outdoor range.  The bay was equipped with all the latest heads listed for sale on their website.  The fitter was very knowledgeable about the heads and we discussed shafts in great detail.  I never felt rushed or intimidated at my modest skill level.

I’ve also been to the PXG facility in Chicago.  I went one year on my birthday while on a business trip and they just turned me loose on anything I wanted to try. It really was a ‘kid in a candy store” experience that they gave me for free!

For the two fittings at my local course I came away with a great experience and felt it was worth the $50.00 fee.  They were much better experiences than my fitting at our local Club Champion.

Did a PXG hybrid fitting at a local course. Outdoor on mats. Experience was great, fitter was very knowledgeable and ended up with the 0317 gen 2 hybrid with an MMT 80 stiff shaft. Fantastic club, fit my gap perfect

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

I did one a month or so ago. It was at a private club on a nice range with good balls. Trackman set up, and they had everything available. A little mixing and matching iron generation heads to check all the potential swingweight and lie angles, but we covered it all. The fitter was knowledgeable and not pushy in any way.

I just did the iron fitting but they had a whole spread of everything else, so you wouldn't be missing out for equipment to try. In the end I'm not going PXG for irons but it was worth the $50.

I am not sure how much they bring to a fitting event at a one-off location...one-off meaning a course they just visit. PXG has a fitting location near me that is superb. Tons of shafts. All heads. Trackman. The only drawback is the course has a water range and floater balls. Trackman was showing 212-220 carry on 3w for me and I'm always 240-250 carry. Trackman was set to "normalize " the balls but it wasn't doing a very good job. That is my only gripe.

The good...every shaft has the pxg adapter, no universal fit adapter like club champion. If you've ever done a club champion fitting then you'll know that for woods, the universal adapter is super heavy. Drivers and 3ws come out to d5 swingweight and all shafts are tipped a bunch to account for the weight. 

With pxg fitting you get real performance but with range balls. I'm not a fan of the normalizing on trackman. Club champion uses real balls (I always take one of mine). 

As others mentioned, fitter knew shaft profiles well and made suggestions. He was also quick to pull me put of a shaft that wasn't working after 2 swings. I liked that..no "let's make this work" kind of stuff. 

I did a pxg fitting a couple years ago at TPC Potomac. The fitter had a “tour van” and full setup of shafts and heads.

It was outdoors. They told me they prefer to do fittings on grass when possible.

Like any fitting the experience and results will be all about how good the fitter is. Mine was great and enjoyed the experience 

15 hours ago, MikeG said:

Back to the game after a long and strange 4-year absence. I've been beating balls out on the range and played a few practice holes at one of our local places. I'm 58 (yikes!) and unsure how much swing speed I may have lost or even how the latest clubs and shafts stack up against my current gear. No decision yet, but I'm thinking about a fresh equipment start -- mostly irons, wedges and driver. I've read through a bunch of threads here and went to a couple of local shops. After getting over the sticker shock and empty equipment racks I have a few clubs in mind from several manufacturers. On the other hand PXG intrigues me, and I'd like to give them a good look before I go to a local retailer for other choices. I've scheduled a full bag fitting at the closest spot, which is a private joint in Lincoln, NE. Unfortunately I can't find much info on the place other than it's great for weddings. 

Unsure if it's an indoor or outdoor fitting. Since it's PXG, I'm sure it's not in some dude's single-car garage or 10x30 backyard, but I have no idea about the environment. Either way, I'd appreciate learning about anyone's experience at a local/non-PXG Studio location. Thanks.    

I'm sure you are aware of the Club Champion in Omaha at One Pacific Place (102nd & Pacific Street).  While I haven't been to that one, I did go to one while on vacation in Las Vegas.  Pretty cool to be able to try any club you wanted with any shaft.  Their approach was to first find the shaft that delivered the best performance and then match a club head to your requests.

I've had 3 or 4 different fittings and other than some basic information about lie angle, club length, etc., I've been able to self-fit more effectively.  

However, on one occasion on a short trip to Kansas City, I went to the Golf MD and had them evaluate my clubs.  That was better than any fitting I've ever had.  They made some slight tweaks to my clubs and when I inquired about some more expensive equipment, they were straight-forward and said "you can spend the money if you want to, but you won't see any better performance".

I picked up the game at 67 and currently 73.  I can tell you what has worked for me, but it may or not be what works for you.

Callaway Epic Max driver - 10.5

Callaway Epic 3w and 5w

Titleist T300's 5i-PW 

Callaway Jaws MD5 - 48* and 54*

Odyssey Stroke Lab putter

Currently about 10 hc and improving.  Good luck with your selection.

I was intrigued by the recent discounts and went in for a driver fitting at the local PXG here in Edina, MN.  Hit about a zillion balls and eventually settled on the 0211 driver, even though by the numbers it didn't perform any better than my 10-year old gamer.  I wanted to get something out of my $50 fitting fee, and for $200 I've now got another driver to play with.

I was a bit disappointed by the setup, honestly.  They had a cool store with shafts on the wall and stuff, but the hitting bays were not very deep and they were using trackman, and I never know how far to trust a trackman with 10 feet of ballflight to go off of.  The numbers never quite seem to line up with my experience of reality outside on the course.

However, fitter was knowledgeable and had a good grasp of the shaft and head options available.  I'm now on the lookout for a Graphite Design TP / DI / IZ, since the one I hit in the fitting was giving me the best numbers by far.  But I wasn't ready to spend an extra $300 to get a driver producing similar numbers to what I have today.

Edited by gophers79
More to say

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, gophers79 said:

I was intrigued by the recent discounts and went in for a driver fitting at the local PXG here in Edina, MN.  Hit about a zillion balls and eventually settled on the 0211 driver, even though by the numbers it didn't perform any better than my 10-year old gamer.  I wanted to get something out of my $50 fitting fee, and for $200 I've now got another driver to play with.

I was a bit disappointed by the setup, honestly.  They had a cool store with shafts on the wall and stuff, but the hitting bays were not very deep and they were using trackman, and I never know how far to trust a trackman with 10 feet of ballflight to go off of.  The numbers never quite seem to line up with my experience of reality outside on the course.

However, fitter was knowledgeable and had a good grasp of the shaft and head options available.  I'm now on the lookout for a Graphite Design TP / DI / IZ, since the one I hit in the fitting was giving me the best numbers by far.  But I wasn't ready to spend an extra $300 to get a driver producing similar numbers to what I have today.

Do you get the $50 credited toward the club if you buy it? Or is that $50 in addition whether you buy or not?

It's $50 no matter what.

I know, sunk costs and all...

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

Thanks for everyone's insights. I'm really looking forward to it based on the comments in this thread.

9 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

I'm sure you are aware of the Club Champion in Omaha at One Pacific Place (102nd & Pacific Street).  While I haven't been to that one, I did go to one while on vacation in Las Vegas.  Pretty cool to be able to try any club you wanted with any shaft.  Their approach was to first find the shaft that delivered the best performance and then match a club head to your requests.

I've had 3 or 4 different fittings and other than some basic information about lie angle, club length, etc., I've been able to self-fit more effectively.  

However, on one occasion on a short trip to Kansas City, I went to the Golf MD and had them evaluate my clubs.  That was better than any fitting I've ever had.  They made some slight tweaks to my clubs and when I inquired about some more expensive equipment, they were straight-forward and said "you can spend the money if you want to, but you won't see any better performance".

I picked up the game at 67 and currently 73.  I can tell you what has worked for me, but it may or not be what works for you.

Callaway Epic Max driver - 10.5

Callaway Epic 3w and 5w

Titleist T300's 5i-PW 

Callaway Jaws MD5 - 48* and 54*

Odyssey Stroke Lab putter

Currently about 10 hc and improving.  Good luck with your selection.

To tell you how out of the game I've been, I had no idea there was a Club Champion here. I just went to Austad's and Golf Galaxy when I looked around the other day. I'll check out Club Champion after the PXG fitting. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went for the full bag fitting yesterday.    Fitter started by asking details questions of what i was looking for and why I am looking at PXG.    I told him i was interested to see what all the fuss was about and for $50, I can see how well my irons are today compared to when i was fitted for them 4 years ago (Callaway Apex CF16s).   I know my distances on my all my clubs from playing 2-3 times a week as well as confirming most of them on my Rapsodo Launch monitor.   Was going to ask to bring it out and put it next to the trackman, but didn't want to push it.   

After doing my standard pre-play warmup, I hit about 10 balls with my 7 irons.  I spread a few purposely just to see what the trackman would pull.    Trackman yardage was within a few yards of my normal shots .   I was not pushed into the Gen 4 stuff by the fitter,   we played we the Gen 3 and Gen 4 items just to see where the rest of the bag was going to go.   I felt better control and shot shaping with the Gen 4 irons with stock included shafts.  He did not push any "exotic" shafts on me but we did try a few mixed in to see ball flight changes.   He made me aware that the shaft was a price increase before trying it.   

Once irons were dialed in, I was picking up lower ball flight resulting in about 10-15 yards of additional carry.     I went back to my current 7 iron and hit a few again to compare differences after swinging more consistent and my distances were the same as what i was used to.

Driver took a little longer as I was locked into the gen 4 based on my iron choices.    We went through quite a few shafts to get my spin numbers down (i hit driver very high), and tried a few exotics but there was not enough difference.     I tried the gen 3 head using the same shafts and did notice a bit of difference from my current setup.    Overall, the Gen 4 head gave me a little better control of my shot shape.    

3 wood was a little quicker to fit since he saw my wood swing from the driver.   We tried the matching shaft to the driver but ended up going to a different stock included shaft.   I did pick up about 10 yards of carry with this one.    He did mention, if I like my current set up that much, to leave it and add an extra wedge to the bag.     

Hybrid took about ten minutes to fit and only took two shafts to get it to my liking.     Tried the 3 and it was close to my Titleist U501 so I tried the 25 degree.   He asked what i was looking for and i told him a 205 club.    We reviewed irons and he noted,  my 5 iron set up should get me to 205.     Based on my sometime eratic driving off the tee,  it made sense to get the hybrid for my 240 shot out of the rough when needed.

Wedges,    my set up includes 4 sugar daddy wedges,  I explained to him my 100 yards in was my biggest inconsistancy.   We worked on 120 (50 degree, which I required), a 56 and 60.    Discovered most of my inconsistency is from my swing, and gave me a little tip and I got them where i wanted (110 on the 56 and 100 on the 60) and lots of backspin.

By the time we got to the putter, we were already at 2 hours and I was exhausted.   He looked over my current Scotty and showed me the options available.  I took a few putting strokes and he recommended three putter options.   He through shafts in them and send me to the putting green.    watched a few putts and switched out a shaft and I was comfy with what i picked.  Hardest part was deciding what grip for the putter.  

Overall I was satisfied with the fitting.   I have also been fit and Golf Tec and Club Champion.    

I was satisfied with the entire fitting and information he gave me from the difference in iron heads, shaft weights, as well as putter heads.  He was definitely knew the equipment and shaft options.  

He was also outright up front on what might be backordered and what was currently available,  I think the hybrid shaft was the only thing that was going to backordered for a week.   

I am waiting for him to send me my specs and order sheet to put it through.  I was told I should have the order in about 10 days.

• Like 2

Have done 2 fittings for PXG....one outside with PXG and the other thru club champion, here are my experiences.

With PXG...

Outside on real turf at the range World Golf Village in FL.  The fitter was ok, only real concern is they pigeon hole you into the newest equipment which I did not like.  He just kept telling me the numbers were so much better.  Tried 4 shafts, which was another concern.  What I did like was the turf interaction.  Was able to see my divots.  Also he didnt charge me for the fitting.  But fair WARNING, they push you to buy the clubs after you are fit.  DID NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL.  Dude kept hounding me all day, texting and emailing.  I finally told him to stop.

With Club Champion...

There is a reason you pay the prices to get fit here, and its def worth it.  Problem was they have Gen4 irons only, again did not like this as I could not test against Gen3 which is half the price right now.  Tested about 20 shafts, and finally settled on the one that worked.  Checked every bit of loft/lie/length.  Fitter gave me options and did not say this was the best one, he said you have 2 options (Callaway DCB or Gen4 XP).  Also there is no obligation to buy one damn thing.  Which is also nice.  Paid my $150 and left.  No hassle no phone calls or emails asking me to purchase.

For whats it worth, I would never get fit by PXG again.  That after sales BS really is a turnoff.  Stop being a used car salesman.  No knock on their equipment as I am def going to purchase the Gen4's when they drop below $200 a club (hopefully for Bday/Xmas).

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

13 minutes ago, 4bees said:

Have done 2 fittings for PXG....one outside with PXG and the other thru club champion, here are my experiences.

With PXG...

Outside on real turf at the range World Golf Village in FL.  The fitter was ok, only real concern is they pigeon hole you into the newest equipment which I did not like.  He just kept telling me the numbers were so much better.  Tried 4 shafts, which was another concern.  What I did like was the turf interaction.  Was able to see my divots.  Also he didnt charge me for the fitting.  But fair WARNING, they push you to buy the clubs after you are fit.  DID NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL.  Dude kept hounding me all day, texting and emailing.  I finally told him to stop.

With Club Champion...

There is a reason you pay the prices to get fit here, and its def worth it.  Problem was they have Gen4 irons only, again did not like this as I could not test against Gen3 which is half the price right now.  Tested about 20 shafts, and finally settled on the one that worked.  Checked every bit of loft/lie/length.  Fitter gave me options and did not say this was the best one, he said you have 2 options (Callaway DCB or Gen4 XP).  Also there is no obligation to buy one damn thing.  Which is also nice.  Paid my $150 and left.  No hassle no phone calls or emails asking me to purchase.

For whats it worth, I would never get fit by PXG again.  That after sales BS really is a turnoff.  Stop being a used car salesman.  No knock on their equipment as I am def going to purchase the Gen4's when they drop below $200 a club (hopefully for Bday/Xmas).

I am still waiting for my specs from my fitter, only has been a day.

Edited by mikecasc

4 hours ago, mikecasc said:

I am still waiting for my specs from my fitter, only has been a day.

thats really strange that you are waiting on specs.  it should be instant as long as you were fit by PXG.  I got all my specs and stuff the minute we ended the session w/PXG.  Same for club champion.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

13 hours ago, 4bees said:

With PXG...

With Club Champion...

I guess with the PXG fitting, as with any fitting, it really all depends on the fitter.  When I went for a fitting over the summer when they were running the $299 gen 4 driver deal, I specifically asked to try the gen 4 driver.  But for the irons, I tried the 0211s and the Gen 3s because I told him that I thought the gen 4 irons were too expensive still.  He has no problem with that and agreed that the 0211s were the best deal at the time.  He followed up exactly twice.  Once to give me my info after the fitting, and once about a week or two later to see if I had any questions.

The major downside of the fitting was that it was outside in August in 100 degree weather with 99% humidity.  After like 10 minutes, I was dying.  It's one thing to hit a ball, hop in the cart and wait a couple of minutes to hit your next shot, its another to just stand there on the range hitting shot after shot in that weather.