2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Epic super hybrid

erikro

11 hours ago, john myrbch said:

I’m a 68 yo mid cap (14) with an 85mph SS any thoughts on which would be a better hybrid for me, the PXG Gen4 XF  or the Super Hybrid?
I’m thinking 4&5, MMT in the Gen4 or the Aerotech in the Epic. For what it’s worth, I have the MMT in my irons and like the shaft very much. I’ve never hit aerotech, but at $175 new, the price seems really good with the Epic.

I'm a senior with the same SS as you and currently playing the Epic Super Hybrids (21° @ 20°, 24°, 27° @ 28°) with Aerotech FC65 F2 shafts (never played, nor considered, PXG hybrids). What I really like about the ESH is that they absolutely do not want to go left (for me, at least). I believe the ESH sold for about $360 when introduced, so $175 is a great value IMO for a titanium hybrid.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

10 hours ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

I'm a senior with the same SS as you and currently playing the Epic Super Hybrids (21° @ 20°, 24°, 27° @ 28°) with Aerotech FC65 F2 shafts (never played, nor considered, PXG hybrids). What I really like about the ESH is that they absolutely do not want to go left (for me, at least). I believe the ESH sold for about $360 when introduced, so $175 is a great value IMO for a titanium hybrid.

Distance and forgiveness thoughts?

I’m a little leery of Aerotech F2… I always heard it’s a low launch shaft?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

58 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Distance and forgiveness thoughts?

I’m a little leery of Aerotech F2… I always heard it’s a low launch shaft?

As a senior, I tend to need all the help I can get in distance and forgiveness with hybrids, hence I went with the all-titanium ESH. As far as the Aerotech FC shaft (F2 is the senior flex designation), here's Aerotech's description:

SteelFiber FC "Flight Control" graphite hybrid shafts combine the composite technology of SteelFiber with a tip section optimized for players who need higher trajectories.

I definitely don't find the FC to be a low launch shaft (which I don't need), but perhaps that's because I'm playing the F2 flex.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x

22 minutes ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

As a senior, I tend to need all the help I can get in distance and forgiveness with hybrids, hence I went with the all-titanium ESH. As far as the Aerotech FC shaft (F2 is the senior flex designation), here's Aerotech's description:

SteelFiber FC "Flight Control" graphite hybrid shafts combine the composite technology of SteelFiber with a tip section optimized for players who need higher trajectories.

I definitely don't find the FC to be a low launch shaft (which I don't need), but perhaps that's because I'm playing the F2 flex.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I’m looking to buy the F2 also. That info on the high launch, just about seals the deal, imo.

My thought is to get both the 21* & 24* as I’m playing PXG’s strong lofted Gen3 XP irons. My 5i is 21* (I might return it if the 5h suits me better.

On paper the 4h at 21* would seem to be a better gapping option in front of either the Gen3 5i or even the Gen4 25* hybrid.

The 22* & 25*. I ordered from PXG should arrive this week, I have 60 days to bang them around though before I would have to send them back for a refund. That’s such a great option, whereas the Epics are “mine to keep” once I hit a ball with them…

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

10 hours ago, john myrbch said:

The 22* & 25*. I ordered from PXG should arrive this week, I have 60 days to bang them around though before I would have to send them back for a refund. That’s such a great option, whereas the Epics are “mine to keep” once I hit a ball with them…

At the risk of sounding like a shill for Callaway, the ESH doesn't have to be "mine to keep" one you hit a ball with them. I bought my ESH's via Callaway Golf Preowned, which has a 90-day buy back policy (see the details on their website). Their "Like New" hybrids that I bought were indeed that. In addition, they often have 20%-30% discount deals.

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x

FWIW, I am a 100 mph driver swing speed guy and play two Epic Super Hybrids in 21* and 18* with Regular flex Aerotech Steelfiber shafts.  They are tight dispersion and anti-left shafts for me.  So much so I am looking into the iron equivalent shafts to test!

• Like 2

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

2 hours ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

At the risk of sounding like a shill for Callaway, the ESH doesn't have to be "mine to keep" one you hit a ball with them. I bought my ESH's via Callaway Golf Preowned, which has a 90-day buy back policy (see the details on their website). Their "Like New" hybrids that I bought were indeed that. In addition, they often have 20%-30% discount deals.

👍 Yes, I realize that

Trust mr, I’ve bought my share of Callaway clubs on CPO 😉

it’s just that GolfEtail has them brand new LH with the shaft and flex I need for $175. That’s what I was referring to. You make a great point though. I can give them a whirl if I go through CPO..

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

• 2 months later...

Is everyone who was happy with the club still satisfied with the Epic Super Hybrid? 

I just recently came to know about the unique features of this club and am interested in any experience a member is willing to share.  On paper it appears to be a more of a short shafted high moi fairway wood than an actual hybrid.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

Is everyone who was happy with the club still satisfied with the Epic Super Hybrid? 

I just recently came to know about the unique features of this club and am interested in any experience a member is willing to share.  On paper it appears to be a more of a short shafted high moi fairway wood than an actual hybrid.

That’s accurate.  Flies like a low spin fairway - at least for me with extensive play.  I only held onto the 21 because the 18 and 16 I could not flight

• Thanks 1

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

Noticed lots of people in here preferred the UW to the ESH. What was the deciding factor there? Head shape? Ball flight? Workability? 

I’m looking for a high launching 21* metal to land softly at 250. Was thinking heavenwood but I could be sold on the RSH or UW 

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, stimpmeterp said:

FWIW, I am a 100 mph driver swing speed guy and play two Epic Super Hybrids in 21* and 18* with Regular flex Aerotech Steelfiber shafts.  They are tight dispersion and anti-left shafts for me.  So much so I am looking into the iron equivalent shafts to test!

100 SS here too. Just triggered 18* ESH w/ SF stiff (“very good” CPO - $145). Anything anti-left will always get my attention, and I’ve watched these for awhile. Expecting a big time safe shot tee-club… and hopefully acceptable from grass when needed. It’s replacing a Sim2 3h, was too inconsistent to consider “safe.” And w/ no roll out, only good for max 210, usually ~200. 

Curious how your bag brackets the 21* and 18*… 3 wood @ 13-15? Then 5i? I picked up 15* Epic Flash (would like to turn it down to 14*) and I have a 21.5* PXG 0311X UI which I really love but will have to see gapping w/ ESH distance and shot versatility (lack of) then decide what to do between 18-23.5. 

I have zero doubt about if off tee. How’s ESH treated you on grass, tall? Short? TIA! 

Edited by el_caporal
Shots not shorts*

Epic Max LS (HZRDUS HC Red) // PXG Gen5 (HZRDUS HC Yellow)

Epic Flash 14* (HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX)

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

Apex21 5-7, Apex Pro 8-GW

PING Glide 3.0 54/ 58 (Eye2) // TM Hi-Toe 54/ 58

Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11 // PING Karsten B60

ALWAYS, ALL WHITE FOOTJOYS 

On 10/17/2022 at 8:58 AM, HiTrajLoSpin said:

Preach, preach! Never owned a Cally golf club, did enjoy hitting GBBs as a kid. My incorrect assumption of “all draw bias and offset” carried 20 years (Cobra as well). In last week  I’ve gone full bag Cally… via CPO 😂 TBD what stays but optimistic. Get a feel in 14 days for cash, or little longer… the 90-day credit schedule is fair. And being that they have a warrantied CPO program, and it’s their product… I wasn’t so up tight about sticking to top of ratings scale. All in the last 3 days; 

Apex21 5-7, Pro21 8-AW (Recoil 110)

> demoed heads at Dicks w/ Elevate 110, had to have head, need to go graphite 

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS HC Red

> haven’t hit, like the adjustability and the “friendly to a 10-15hcp for LS” reviews, have wanted to get my hands on this shaft 

Epic Flash 3W - HZRDUS HC Yellow 

> never hit yellow… lead tape waiting 🤞 

Epic SH 18* - stock SteelFiber stiff 

This near full bag was $1400. And they ~overpaid for i-E1 trade-in. Clubs across all condition ratings. 

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

I just ordered the 3 & 4 Epic Super Hybrids from Callaway Pre-Owned. The prices are down to about $135 for "Good" condition so I figured I might as well have them both to try at the same time. I figure I'll end up keeping only one of them but we'll see.

I've tried really hard to simplify the long end of my bag to the point where I only carry 13 clubs. The top end is currently driver/4W/4H.

My driver is pretty reliable so when a hole calls for a long tee shot I don't have any issue swinging it. 

My 4 wood is the next longest club because it's easier to launch than a 3 wood and the added loft gives me a better chance at hitting it off the deck. It's also useful for holes where trouble awaits more than 225y off the tee and I need to stay short of that. 

The Apex 4 hybrid is more of a 4 iron replacement for me and I have it adjusted to gap off my 5U. I often pull it for second shots on par fives (almost always a layup for me) and long par threes that require a 190-200y shot. 

This all works in theory but in the real world my four wood doesn't get used all that much. I don't have the confidence to hit it off the deck unless the lie is perfect and the landing area is wide open. I don't use it off the tee very much as my driving has improved and I don't need that security blanket as much as I once did. I'm not going to ditch it without a fight. In fact I just cut a 1/2" off it today as an experiment. Callaway puts a 43.25" shaft in 4 woods which I think is too long. I'm going to continue to practice with it over the winter and try to turn it into a scoring weapon for me. 

I'm really curious how the Super Hybrid 3 will fly in my hands. I don't think it will go as far as a perfectly struck 4 wood but it might well be better than my average result with the 4 wood. If I can somehow get 215-220 out of it I may not carry a fairway wood at all. 

The Super Hybrid 4 should be slightly longer and more forgiving than the Apex '21 4. I don't necessarily need "longer" but I wouldn't mind "more forgiving." I can always adjust the loft sleeve for gapping. 

I do have that 14th slot to play with but I doubt I'd carry both the SH3 and the 4 wood. When I have overlap in my bag it just creates doubt in my head about which club to pull. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Thought this would be a good fit (don’t get along w/ trad hybrids and tend to want to cut down a heavy/ stiff 3w, built for fairway finding). Pulled trigger on 3h from CPO last week. LOVE it.

Went stock SteelFiber to start, will keep in rotation but explore. Can see a LOT of build and play options w/ these. May pick up 2h, turn down and look at it vs. 3w. Thinking 4h in bag 2 also, as 5i there plays at 26*.

Funny tho, teed this on #1 for first swing. ~360… trees left, creek right. Swings: 1) MISS! 2) 4ft. topper, 3) torpedo diver 30 yards down cart path 😂 The starter; “hey man, just have some fun out there.” Lead taped it on #2… went on to play best round in 6 months, w/ 3 aggressive high tree baby draws into tight target zones. 

Def need range time to “feel out” SF length/ flex, explore shafts/ settings, and dial in “off-deck.” Was able to sting some range balls w/ it post-round… a penetrating flight/ roll I can’t get out of 0311X UI (favorite club)… however that swing felt a bit high risk, w/ memory of the torpedo diver.

As I can work distance/ flight on the 0311X better than any club in bag, foresee no gapping issues. And this allows me to reconsider what I put in front of it at 13-15*.

Edited by el_caporal
  • Like 1

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

On 12/26/2022 at 7:03 PM, DaRiz said:

Noticed lots of people in here preferred the UW to the ESH. What was the deciding factor there? Head shape? Ball flight? Workability? 

I’m looking for a high launching 21* metal to land softly at 250. Was thinking heavenwood but I could be sold on the RSH or UW 

Yea, I'm looking for one of those too.🤣

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Just off range. What’s wrong w/ my swing/ settings (that I may not know) if I’m anti-right w/ this (compared to y’all)?? Pured, is a climbing baby draw. Missed, is a low left screamer… low spin, just a (short) running dart. Moving around hands/ stance still, and “working” woods for me = intentional hook/ slice, not controlled draw/ fade. Lack that precision. Also working to get more shallow, in general. Have negative AoA… D-hybrids (which is reason #1 me and hybrids haven’t gotten along). 

Y’all are anti-left w/ SF shaft? Reg or stiff?

Tee, “easy money.” Off-deck, inconsistent. I haven’t made any hosel adjustments, yet. I did play my Sim2 better (not good enough) when I “opened” it and went 19* to 20*

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

I took the 3 and 4 Epic Super Hybrids out today, first to my local Trackman bar and then to the golf course. 

In the sim I hit the 4 pretty well, 190 carry and 205ish with roll. I was starting to think about keeping it but decided to swing my current Apex 21 4 hybrid and ended up with nearly identical numbers. Easy decision to keep my current club in the bag. 

I struggled to launch the 3h off the deck. I was basically getting the exact same numbers as the 4 which lets me know I’m not swinging fast enough to make the club work. However, like @el_caporalsaid above, it’s a different story off a low tee. It was pretty easy to get numbers similar to my Epic Speed 4 wood…210 carry, 225 total, nice draw flight. It’s pretty weird to see 1.50 smash factor with a hybrid but that’s what I was seeing. 

There are two tee shots on the course we played today where that shot should be perfect, but both times I hit low smother hooks instead of majestic high draws. I think I can learn to hit that tee shot but I don’t think it’ll ever work for me as an off the deck club, which my four wood will. 

More than likely I’ll return both clubs, but I plan to spend a little more time with them on Trackman before I make a final decision. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Thinking (now, out loud) about kicking down to ESH 2h… booting my 3w, then possibly Epic UW, a 5/7w, or friendliest UI/ DI at 17/18. Whatever that is…? Maybe get another 0311X at 2i/ 3i, just carry 2 woods. Don’t think losing a wedge is net accretive.

Know I want ESH in bag. But is it just a tee club, or a true hybrid? I’ll gladly give up ~10yds from my 3w for auto-fairway (and almost always want to pull it over a teed 3w)… so 3w becomes bag weight, as I’m no more likely to want that off grass either.

3 clubs top of bag. Driver, fairway finder, and “utility.” I like this club but see how people pass/ give up on it… creates some conundrum. Think the shaft exploration/ selection is critical to build/ place of this, and has to marry w/ the 3rd (versatile) top of bag club.

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

May be talking to myself here, but wondering from shaft/ setting perspective what may make this more ground friendly…? If anything? 

3h - stock SteelFiber FC 75S. My favorite club, 4ui - 0311x at 21.5* w/ Tensei Blue 80S (+5g lead tape center back shaft, 2.5g club head). 5-PW are Recoil 110…

Could Reg flex improve ground game? Know it would take from some consistency off tee, but feel I have some to give…

Found a hybrid HZRDUS Red 80, model I’m loving launch/ spin on in my driver, but not sure driver comp is relevant?

Could also get another Tensei Blue 80S pretty easy. 

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

It's winter and I have time before making a decision on keeping or returning these sticks, so I've continued to demo them on Trackman this week. 

Tuesday I was playing a virtual round with another dude at the Trackman bar and I pulled the ESH 4h every time I would have normally pulled my Apex 21 4h. Most of the time that was on tee shots on shorter holes, so I boosted it off the mat with a very low tee. It performed exactly as I expected. The 4h may have a little more pop than my Apex 21 but it is marginal. Still, I hit very good shots with the ESH 4h that day. 

Yesterday was more about working on my swing. Once I was on the right track I did a little shootout with my Epic Speed 4 wood (GOLD) and the Epic SH 3h (PURPLE). 

I was getting the best result from the 4 wood on a very low tee...like almost on the mat. I had to use a slightly higher tee to get similar launch from the ESH 3h. This is not a big deal on a tee box, but it lets me know I have a better chance off the fairway with the 4 wood than the 3 hybrid. 

My 4 wood has been cut down 1/2" so the distances aren't all that different. However there were big differences in the consistency of launch, spin and height as shown below. There's way more variation in the ESH 3's relatively small data set. 

Hitting the ESH 3 off a low tee comes with a super satisfying feeling that can be a little intoxicating, but A) I'm concerned about consistency and B) I don't think I'll ever be able to launch it properly off the ground. 

unnamed-5.jpg.f4b814da68455f218b62448a956a9d57.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg.371729767dd1471d8e43e72a6142e26a.jpg

unnamed-7.jpg.5b8daa234d1e1a1f83505d767475582a.jpg

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ginrin said:

I bought the 34and 5 but the sound is not the best. They are very forgiving and everything you want in a hybrid but the sound is tinnier than most.

It sounds more like a driver because it's made more like a driver. Small price to pay IMO. Still loving my 4h. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Love mine long time, firmly in the bag. Let me tune 3wood as a true D2. Has better dispersion than any other wood or hybrid I’ve played off turf. Sound is different but feel is great, IMO.

Stock SteelFiber FC is stellar but I really want to experiment a bit. 

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

Just put a smoke black RDX 6.0 70g into 3w. Better feel than SF, and assume you added distance w/ little change to dispersion? How is the launch? In my bag, and at home course, need ESH to launch and hold. Already low/ low in 3w and 4ui. 

The SF is consistent… just not “creative” and I have to run 5-10g lead tape down it. 

Have a Tensei blue 80g in my 0311x 4ui. It is made and carried to punch, turn, roll… so might put a 90g Tensei white or smoke black RDX in it, kick the blue down to ESH. Or, pick up a Smoke Red RDX. 

Epic SuperHybrid 17*

PXG Gen2 O311X 21.5*

• 1 year later...
31 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

Does everyone who loved the Epic Super Hybrid still love it? 

I loved mine Epic 3 SH for a week or two.  Then I had a mental block on how to hit it.  Started chunking and hitting down with it too much, and never could get the feel to swing it more like a fairway wood and catch it clean.  The taller look at address just throws me off for the swing I need to make with that club.

I was hitting my 19* UW [OG] better, but ended up giving that to my brother.  I may move on to something more like a 5 wood for that slot in my bag.

All in all, the SH produced great numbers when I hit it right - slightly higher and more spin than the UW, even at a lower loft.  I just got the yips with how to swing it out on the course.

• Thanks 1