2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

PXG Gen 5?

StillCantPutt

On 4/17/2023 at 10:50 PM, OspreyCI said:

I bought a set used here on BST and used them for a two rounds. Not sure how many rounds were on them before, but so far they look really good. Scroll up a few posts. I absolutely love how the black frames the ball. Cannot see ever going back to a chrome/satin iron ever again. 

BTW, G5 P is phenomenal! Had G3 before this. All time PB with my second round with them. Irons were the reason for 5 birdies and an eagle. The 5 iron over a huge trap uphill to 8 feet for eagle was awesome. With a G5 and a ProV1 is the best feeling iron  I have ever used in 40 years of playing this crazy game. Sorry for the rant. What a great day it was. 

Any insights/review on the G3 vs G5 irons. Currently playing i210 and would like to build a second set with PXG. The G3 lofts seem to match up little bit better than G5.  However it looks like from the robot testing the G5 seem much more forgiving (at least in shot dispersion).  Do you recall if the heads are the same size or did it get just slightly smaller on Gen 5?  thanks.  

Edited by Kid Bro Sweets
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

1 hour ago, Kid Bro Sweets said:

Any insights/review on the G3 vs G5 irons. Currently playing i210 and would like to build a second set with PXG. The G3 lofts seem to match up little bit better than G5.  However it looks like from the robot testing the G5 seem much more forgiving (at least in shot dispersion).  Do you recall if the heads are the same size or did it get just slightly smaller on Gen 5?  thanks.  

I can say the G5 IS improved over the G3. I am playing the black ones so them look smaller maybe. I find them a hair more forgiving and getting maybe 5-7 yards more and better spin. I think they are a touch more solid feeling too. I am in the camp that PXG makes the best irons on the market for us normal amateur players and I stand by that. My handicap has dropped by 5 shots after getting my latest set. But I am also using a LAB putter now too. Lol. Hope that helps. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I can say the G5 IS improved over the G3. I am playing the black ones so them look smaller maybe. I find them a hair more forgiving and getting maybe 5-7 yards more and better spin. I think they are a touch more solid feeling too. I am in the camp that PXG makes the best irons on the market for us normal amateur players and I stand by that. My handicap has dropped by 5 shots after getting my latest set. But I am also using a LAB putter now too. Lol. Hope that helps. 

100% always useful to get insights on folks that have used them.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

On 12/1/2021 at 10:42 PM, Kamen said:

Their constant price changes is why I will never buy another PXG club...

I don’t blame you

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

6 hours ago, slalomdude said:

So you reply to a 18 month old comment that is no longer relevant or accurate. Weird ! 

And why is that, only because this thread is 64 pages long and to go through what is posted takes to much time to go thru in one sitting and this is very accurate then what is weird is when you will have people who just like to comment to keep the thread as long as possible. So yes hearing from people who have used them is very helpful. Try to read 90+ pages on the PING i230 pic's. To me PXG makes nice clubs and as I myself have tried them owned them and maybe later when the next Gen 7's come out I might comeback. No one on here is convincing me to buy them or not to buy them. 

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

9 hours ago, slalomdude said:

So you reply to a 18 month old comment that is no longer relevant or accurate. Weird ! 

I'm curious why you don't think it's accurate or relevant anymore, when PXG is still guilty of the price fluctuations.

Although I was surprised there was no Memorial day sale.  Maybe 4th of July?

1 hour ago, KGrinols said:

I'm curious why you don't think it's accurate or relevant anymore, when PXG is still guilty of the price fluctuations.

Although I was surprised there was no Memorial day sale.  Maybe 4th of July?

Because at the Gen 6 release, Parsons himself said that there would be no more wild fluctuations in pricing. Guess what, all prices have remained the same on all clubs since 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 1:02 PM, slalomdude said:

Because at the Gen 6 release, Parsons himself said that there would be no more wild fluctuations in pricing. Guess what, all prices have remained the same on all clubs since 

It won't be long now till a price drop on the Gen 6 irons as the Gen 5 are now 124.99 per club. Re sale on these are dropping faster too. What's going on as I'll wait till the Gen 7's come out now

7 minutes ago, slalomdude said:

Thats Hero's pricing, normal retail is still $159.

I know but prices are dropping and they will for retail too, just a matter of time

Edited by Tiptx1122

• 1 month later...

I still scratch my head with their pricing fluctuations.  Every time I've checked on the extreme dark Gen 5's, the Private Reserve Steelfiber was the default shaft at no upcharge, along with several other upgraded shafts at no upcharge.  Now, the Private Reserve Steelfiber is a $49 upcharge per club.  They used to have a paragraph or two about the black label elite for the Gen 5's and the various shaft options at no upgrade charge, but it's been scrubbed.

Guess they want to push people to the Gen 6's.

That’s a good reason why I don’t bother with PXG as they are always changing their prices. Just glad I never did pay for the full original price as this might be a reason why so many people skip the Gen 5 and 6 as the Gen 4’s are just as nice and so are the 0211s except they are not forged and don’t feel as nice as the 0311s

56 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

That’s a good reason why I don’t bother with PXG as they are always changing their prices. Just glad I never did pay for the full original price as this might be a reason why so many people skip the Gen 5 and 6 as the Gen 4’s are just as nice and so are the 0211s except they are not forged and don’t feel as nice as the 0311s

I have the Gen 4 0311T and they are superb irons. Have to be something special to move them out of my bag.  Might try the gen 6 P line but they will have to feel as good. These irons shock me as they feel as good if not better then the Mizuno JPX Sel set i played for a while before moving to PXG. 

• Like 1

They will have a better feel as the JPX line is not forged 

Edited by Tiptx1122

51 minutes ago, JB lefty said:

I have the Gen 4 0311T and they are superb irons. Have to be something special to move them out of my bag.  Might try the gen 6 P line but they will have to feel as good. These irons shock me as they feel as good if not better then the Mizuno JPX Sel set i played for a while before moving to PXG. 

Those Gen 4’s are great irons, precise and powerful and have a soft but solid feel. They probably would rank as my favorite overall of the PXG irons. They have a clean look PXG should return to IMO. Amazingly, those can still be bought on close out on the PXG site but the trick is you have to get to them via a search. They’re out of some P heads but still had the T’s and for $119 per club til they’re gone that’s a nice value.

It sure seems like PXG has gone away from the crazy price changes and are now following a more expected discount progression on past models. In any case, can’t knock the products. I have a borrowed Gen 6 5 wood that I like so much I’m going in to PXG in Virginia to do a full fairway wood fitting and hit Gen 5 ($199) and Gen 6 ($299). My buddy raves about his Gen 5 5 and 7 woods. 

In my setup I go driver, then 4 or 5 wood, then 7 wood to 4 hybrid to 5 iron. Getting that 4 or 5 wood spot figured out is tricky as ideally it is a backup driver on short holes but also can stop on a green. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Those Gen 4’s are great irons, precise and powerful and have a soft but solid feel. They probably would rank as my favorite overall of the PXG irons. They have a clean look PXG should return to IMO. Amazingly, those can still be bought on close out on the PXG site but the trick is you have to get to them via a search. They’re out of some P heads but still had the T’s and for $119 per club til they’re gone that’s a nice value.

It sure seems like PXG has gone away from the crazy price changes and are now following a more expected discount progression on past models. In any case, can’t knock the products. I have a borrowed Gen 6 5 wood that I like so much I’m going in to PXG in Virginia to do a full fairway wood fitting and hit Gen 5 ($199) and Gen 6 ($299). My buddy raves about his Gen 5 5 and 7 woods. 

In my setup I go driver, then 4 or 5 wood, then 7 wood to 4 hybrid to 5 iron. Getting that 4 or 5 wood spot figured out is tricky as ideally it is a backup driver on short holes but also can stop on a green. 

Have to agree there. I have the gen 5 driver and just picked up a Gen5 three wood to try and i will have to say if the fairway wood is as good as the driver then its a keeper. Would love to test the Gen 6 wood line up. Just here in Australia the options are very limited. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JB lefty said:

The JPX 921 SEL are forged. 

Whoops your right as it's so hard to keep up with things especially reading these forums. Being a lefty has good to be hard when your not as able to try out as many irons as you would like. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Well Parsons stated before the release of the G6 that there would be no more erratic price fluctuations. Surprisingly he has stuck to it so far.

As far as the G5 fairway woods they are money. Took out my G2 Hybrids when I bought the XCOR2 black, playing 4 - GW. Added a G5 5/7 wood and they are easier to hit than the G2 Hybrids. Which is definitely saying something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL