Masters Ticket Scalpers

dalehead

On 1/26/2024 at 2:34 PM, cardia10 said:

I'd say their very first sentence. It leaves it totally open from a legal standpoint to do whatever they like whether you like it or not. The crowd last year was more than double what it was 5 years ago and it is getting much more rowdy. Less and less people caring about the golf and becoming a golfers Kentucky Derby it feels. Every time you go, they have bought more and more land to expand for more parking lots. The furthest parking spot to the front gate is now right at half a mile. Maybe that is what happens when a major is hosted at the same course every year, but to see a line that would require over an hour wait to buy garden gnomes just to resell on Ebay is getting silly and feels way different than the Augusta from years ago.

I still dont understand what you are trying to say. You're trying to relate two things that have absolutely *nothing* to do with each other. The crowds have nothing to do with the resale policy or procedures - none. If members wanted smaller crowds - they would sell fewer tickets. Period.

I haven't seen any official ticket counts though so I dont know how you can say the crowd was more than double anything. Just because it seems busy when you were in a certain place doesn't mean that it was.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

20 hours ago, dmbolp said:

LMS was available well before Mar 31 last year; it should be available as soon as people get tickets in hand

Edit:  I assume the Mar 31 date you reference is the day that shipping listings were turned off, and therefore LMS listings were the only option remaining since too late to ship and receive before tourney.

Yeah I understand that after Mar 31 last year sellers had no option but LMS. What I’m wondering is how many sellers typically choose the LMS option between mid-March or so when they had tix in hand? Or will we only see LMS listings at the end of March/beginning of April ?  

On 1/26/2024 at 11:34 AM, cardia10 said:

I'd say their very first sentence. It leaves it totally open from a legal standpoint to do whatever they like whether you like it or not. The crowd last year was more than double what it was 5 years ago and it is getting much more rowdy. Less and less people caring about the golf and becoming a golfers Kentucky Derby it feels. Every time you go, they have bought more and more land to expand for more parking lots. The furthest parking spot to the front gate is now right at half a mile. Maybe that is what happens when a major is hosted at the same course every year, but to see a line that would require over an hour wait to buy garden gnomes just to resell on Ebay is getting silly and feels way different than the Augusta from years ago.

You're about the spend 10 hours walking up and down hills (probably more than 5 miles if you walk the course), standing in line at concessions and merchandising and are irked about a 10 minute walk from your car to the entrance?

People talk about massive lines for ID checks, but I just attended a few Serie A matches in Italy last summer where all tickets needed names when purchasing (addresses, countries and birthplaces too!).  You needed ID (passport or DL to get in.   It was checked at two different spots.   Despite the games being sold out, and well over 60000 in attendance, it took us less time to get in than any major US sporting event.

And that was in Italy, not Switzerland or Germany!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CURO said:

Yeah I understand that after Mar 31 last year sellers had no option but LMS. What I’m wondering is how many sellers typically choose the LMS option between mid-March or so when they had tix in hand? Or will we only see LMS listings at the end of March/beginning of April ?  

I haven't tracked it by delivery method in the past; you're in charge of that this year 🙂

But it's certainly before end of March; there are examples in this thread from last year

If I was a seller I'd probably go with LMS; no disputed "lost in shipping" or "I didn't get the package" or "the tickets weren't in the FedEx envelope" from disputing bad buyers; let Stubhub interact directly with their buyer at the house.  It also allows you to reclaim them at Augusta if yours haven't sold and you decide to use them

On 1/28/2024 at 12:34 PM, dmbolp said:

I haven't tracked it by delivery method in the past; you're in charge of that this year 🙂

But it's certainly before end of March; there are examples in this thread from last year

If I was a seller I'd probably go with LMS; no disputed "lost in shipping" or "I didn't get the package" or "the tickets weren't in the FedEx envelope" from disputing bad buyers; let Stubhub interact directly with their buyer at the house.  It also allows you to reclaim them at Augusta if yours haven't sold and you decide to use them

What would you recommend buying LMS vs mail? LMS safer dealing directly with StubHub in person?

8 hours ago, AlwaysWildin said:

What would you recommend buying LMS vs mail? LMS safer dealing directly with StubHub in person?

I was saying if I was a seller.  But as a buyer yes, safe as you aren’t waiting for a seller to ship to you, your tickets are in Augusta waiting for pickup.  And in all years prior to last year, waiting until a few days prior, when LMS is the only option, is when you got the cheapest price.

Fascinating thread, thanks for the amazing detail @dmbolp I feel far more informed now. 

I'm from Australia, but have a chance of being in Atlanta for 24ish hours from the Friday night. A few questions if you don't mind:

- How long is the drive from ATL to Augusta on a Friday late afternoon? Is it so bad I'm just better waiting until later at night?

- I have no ticket and could only attend Saturday. Had a look on SH and it's north of $3500 right now. In your experience is it going to get better than that closer to the time?

- Is waiting until the day of play (right up until lunchtime) guaranteed to get you a ticket on SH? Assuming you can pick up at the SH House?

- And if you were me what would you do?!

Thanks!

On 1/26/2024 at 9:39 AM, dmbolp said:

What in that would allow them to require ID, or prevent an original purchaser from selling at face value, or giving a ticket to a family member or friend???  Nothing in that says the original purchaser must use the tickets.

As a lawyer, I would argue that the "at any time, with or without cause" language gives them free reign to revoke for any reason (even an unfair or "bad" reason).  This could include you refusing to comply with a "policy" that required you to show ID.  You could argue against it, but it would be a massively uphill fight when you agreed that they could revoke your license "at any time" and "in their sole discretion."

Just my 2 cents . . . 

11 hours ago, ryan2000 said:

Fascinating thread, thanks for the amazing detail @dmbolp I feel far more informed now. 

I'm from Australia, but have a chance of being in Atlanta for 24ish hours from the Friday night. A few questions if you don't mind:

- How long is the drive from ATL to Augusta on a Friday late afternoon? Is it so bad I'm just better waiting until later at night?

- I have no ticket and could only attend Saturday. Had a look on SH and it's north of $3500 right now. In your experience is it going to get better than that closer to the time?

- Is waiting until the day of play (right up until lunchtime) guaranteed to get you a ticket on SH? Assuming you can pick up at the SH House?

- And if you were me what would you do?!

Thanks!

Drive time depends on what time you leave.  Lots of rush hour traffic heading East out of town, so maybe 3+ hours depending on where you're starting from.  You could fly on Delta for $234 if you're already going to be at the ATL airport: https://www.delta.com/flightsearch/search-results?cacheKeySuffix=1b7cf336-af6b-4fea-8994-475827e90c80

Prices and inventory from last year are in this thread, even into the day you're looking for

Nothing is Guaranteed; estimated same-day cutoff times are in this thread from last year

If I were you, and I will be you the next day (hoping to grab a cheap Sunday single intraday), I would get to Augusta the night before, stay at the $100 Knights Inn at I-20 & Washington, have dinner at TBonz, and be set up at the hotel 1st thing in the morning to constantly monitor Stubhub until you see a price you like.  Driving over on SAT morning is going to make it tough on price monitoring.  And if you're happy with the price you see at 7am you're already there, not 3 yours away.

Edited by dmbolp

52 minutes ago, PMD669 said:

As a lawyer, I would argue that the "at any time, with or without cause" language gives them free reign to revoke for any reason (even an unfair or "bad" reason).  This could include you refusing to comply with a "policy" that required you to show ID.  You could argue against it, but it would be a massively uphill fight when you agreed that they could revoke your license "at any time" and "in their sole discretion."

Just my 2 cents . . . 

Agree on the revoke language, but add additional requirements on who can use the tickets?  They are very particular about using the term "TICKET HOLDER" and not "TICKET PURCHASER" in the Ts/Cs.  They know tons of tickets are bought by family members for other family members and friends, where the original purchaser doesn't attend.  Requiring ID of the original PURCHASER without prior notice would be a PR nightmare they certainly don't want.

Edited by dmbolp

On 1/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, dmbolp said:

Ha will do!  Will it show LMS on the front page of the ticket listings or will you have to click into each ticket listing and go through the buying process to see if the delivery method is ship or LMS ? 

1 hour ago, CURO said:

Ha will do!  Will it show LMS on the front page of the ticket listings or will you have to click into each ticket listing and go through the buying process to see if the delivery method is ship or LMS ? 

As of the last couple years Stubhub has created about 7 different pages you have to click thru to complete a purchase, LMS will be mentioned on the 2nd or 3rd I think.  You won't see it on the main pages with all the listings.  

Just noticed a couple new features on Stubhub:

1) Average Price % Change:  "The Average Sold Ticket Price has changed by XX% in the last day as compared to the last 7 days".  Not sure what to do with that info, and wonder how TUE for example dropped 63%?  Did someone snag a great deal, maybe face value, which dragged down the average?

2) A filter to view just new listing in the last few days.  Not sure of a benefit to that either, for this event; we just want to know the cheapest price regardless of when it was listed.

Image 2-7-24 at 4.40 PM.jpeg

Image 2-7-24 at 4.43 PM.jpeg

Edited by dmbolp

On 2/7/2024 at 4:49 PM, dmbolp said:

Just noticed a couple new features on Stubhub:

1) Average Price % Change:  "The Average Sold Ticket Price has changed by XX% in the last day as compared to the last 7 days".  Not sure what to do with that info, and wonder how TUE for example dropped 63%?  Did someone snag a great deal, maybe face value, which dragged down the average?

2) A filter to view just new listing in the last few days.  Not sure of a benefit to that either, for this event; we just want to know the cheapest price regardless of when it was listed.

Image 2-7-24 at 4.40 PM.jpeg

Image 2-7-24 at 4.43 PM.jpeg

DMBOLP, I normally click the day, and remove suggested tickets, and then use that to see what the lowest cost ticket is by day. Do you still agree that’s best approach? 

@dmbolp Great stuff in this thread. Thanks for the insight. I'm curious on if you have monitored Azalea Hospitality's pricing in previous years and if their prices move with the market (ie, drop in that sweet spot window the 3rd week of March)?

Thier fee structure is lower, but zero weather protection. Assuming they buy 4 day badges from locals and resell so there is none of the Stub Hub speculation so maybe their prices "are what they are". Let me know if you have any thoughts, pros/cons on buying from them vs. Stub Hub.

Thx,

Steve

Edited by sjaccaud

First time poster here - @dmbolp and others thanks for the wealth of information in this thread, very informative. I am from Australia and will be over in the US for work in April (near Charlotte). Likely driving down to Augusta on the Friday night and will be trying my luck on Stubhub/Washington Rd for tickets to Saturday and Sunday. No accommodation booked yet and happy to slum it for a couple of nights - I did have a question around where to stay, I'm assuming if you are on the hunt for tickets then you would be better off staying off Washington Rd west of the course (where the scalpers are setup) as opposed to downtown? Thanks! Jonesy

@jonesy148 If you're up for slumming I highly recommend the Knights Inn at the corner of Washington and I-20.  Stayed there last year several nights, and it was fine and cheap.  1 mile walk to the course, 100 yard walk to TBonz, and a liquor store just outside the parking lot, as well as a MCDs for breakfast.  Free soft drinks in the hotel lobby to use as mixers with the liquor.  I will be there SAT/SUN this year again stalking a cheap SUN badge.

My room and merch haul from last year:

Ly1L5SA.jpg

@dmbolp tremendous haul - am bringing a bigger suitcase on this trip so I can fit everything in.

Looks like Knights Inn is booked out over the weekend but some other (relatively) cheap options still available in that area (Scottish Inns).

Thanks for the recommendations though, if you're around on the Saturday would love to buy you a beer.

Thanks

Jonesy

21 minutes ago, jonesy148 said:

@dmbolp tremendous haul - am bringing a bigger suitcase on this trip so I can fit everything in.

Looks like Knights Inn is booked out over the weekend but some other (relatively) cheap options still available in that area (Scottish Inns).

Thanks for the recommendations though, if you're around on the Saturday would love to buy you a beer.

Thanks

Jonesy

TBonz, 8pm

13 hours ago, sjaccaud said:

@dmbolp Great stuff in this thread. Thanks for the insight. I'm curious on if you have monitored Azalea Hospitality's pricing in previous years and if their prices move with the market (ie, drop in that sweet spot window the 3rd week of March)?

Thier fee structure is lower, but zero weather protection. Assuming they buy 4 day badges from locals and resell so there is none of the Stub Hub speculation so maybe their prices "are what they are". Let me know if you have any thoughts, pros/cons on buying from them vs. Stub Hub.

Thx,

Steve

I tracked them last year. They do charge a fee, go all the way to checkout and you’ll see around a $200 fee for practice. Tracked them last year I think price moved $100 maybe. 

12 hours ago, dmbolp said:

@jonesy148 If you're up for slumming I highly recommend the Knights Inn at the corner of Washington and I-20.  Stayed there last year several nights, and it was fine and cheap.  1 mile walk to the course, 100 yard walk to TBonz, and a liquor store just outside the parking lot, as well as a MCDs for breakfast.  Free soft drinks in the hotel lobby to use as mixers with the liquor.  I will be there SAT/SUN this year again stalking a cheap SUN badge.

My room and merch haul from last year:

Ly1L5SA.jpg

@dmbolp how much does that masters gnome flag cost? 

11 hours ago, jonesy148 said:

Thanks

Jonesy

Remember there's a UPS outlet literally *right* next door to the main merch building. You walk right in, takes maybe ten minutes, stuff shows up a couple days later. In fact our stuff arrived at our house the day we got back.

Couldn't be easier.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

3 hours ago, Harmon25 said:

I tracked them last year. They do charge a fee, go all the way to checkout and you’ll see around a $200 fee for practice. Tracked them last year I think price moved $100 maybe. 

Yep noticed their fees. I was intrigued because their current Thursday price is not far off of what @dmbolp 's tracking shows for a Thur low (maybe $250 at the moment). Practice rounds are a different story.

Did you end up buying from them last year?

59 minutes ago, dmbolp said:

Don't remember, sorry.  I'd guess $35?  It's 14" x 18".  Also got a much bigger one, maybe $60?

MMO Golf had the smaller ones for $40 last week.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*