2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Adult Multi-day Golf Schools or Academies in the US?

I've played golf most of my life and started playing golf when I was relatively young thanks to a great junior golf program at my hometown Country Club. Outside of that, I've never really had any consistent golf instruction. I've been playing consistently over the last year and am eager to get back into golf and commit to getting better. I'm in my early 40's and a low-90's scorer and by no means have aspirations of becoming a scratch golfer. That said, I'd like to get better starting with a solid instructional experience that I can build off of. Additionally, I am finishing up a huge project at work and also looking at this as a gift to myself for finishing the project so I'm also looking for a cool experience (although good instruction is the priority).

I'm interested in a multi-day (2-4 days) golf school or academy here in the states. I live in Oklahoma but would be willing to travel most anywhere in the US for a good experience. My preference would be to have a comprehensive experience which I would hope would include full-swing instruction, long and short game instruction, plus on-course instruction. I've started researching some places online, but there a quite a few it seems and certainly don't want to waste my money on a bad experience. I'm willing to spend some money, but definitely don't need a one-on-one session with David Leadbetter!

If anyone here has any experience with something like that and/or has some recommendations, I would love to hear them! Thank you in advance!

• Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Golf Made Simple!!!!!

Marc & his team are the best in the world at teaching Amateur Golfers 

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Andrew Rice does one.

and I mean this with all respect butttt, I just can’t make myself pay $150-200 an hour to split time with 5-11 strangers for 6-7 hours over 3 days.

I love the idea and the fraternity but mannn talk about Cha Ching for the instructor and anyone else involved.

that’s like Physician level salaries if you filled your schools up.

2 hours ago, BB28403 said:

Andrew Rice does one.

and I mean this with all respect butttt, I just can’t make myself pay $150-200 an hour to split time with 5-11 strangers for 6-7 hours over 3 days.

I love the idea and the fraternity but mannn talk about Cha Ching for the instructor and anyone else involved.

So around $40 an hour over even just a couple of days with Monte and a few other folks sounds pretty darn good!  

Clinics are different than individual lessons and you have to figure out what works for you.  I get benefits from both and sometimes clinics coincide with a chance to see friends/family in the area, etc.   Monte's are interactive as well as individual and I've learned a ton from watching him work with other folks and his semi-Socratic or seriocomic or whatever you want to call it method, lol. Lots of knowledge there for the taking, and pretty much instant feedback on your golf swing - and excellent short game instruction as well.

2 hours ago, BB28403 said:

Andrew Rice does one.

Golf pro costs have to be put in context . I just paid $100 to have 4 signatures notarized  and witnessed in CA . I pay  4.25$/ gallon for gas at Costco in CA. In NJ I paid %2.2 of my houses estimated market value in annual real estate taxes. San Francisco pays $175,000/ year to municipal workers to clean up waste. 
25 years ago I paid $ 200/ hour for a golf lesson with a golf digest top 25  golf pro and $175/ hour  for  a top 100 golf pro . Both had written well regarded books ; IMOP neither one was worth a damn.  

150/200$/ hour  is well worth it if a golf pro can help you achieve your goals. If he can not , paying anything is overpaying . 

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

So around $40 an hour over even just a couple of days with Monte and a few other folks sounds pretty darn good!  

Clinics are different than individual lessons and you have to figure out what works for you.  I get benefits from both and sometimes clinics coincide with a chance to see friends/family in the area, etc.   Monte's are interactive as well as individual and I've learned a ton from watching him work with other folks and his semi-Socratic or seriocomic or whatever you want to call it method, lol. Lots of knowledge there for the taking, and pretty much instant feedback on your golf swing - and excellent short game instruction as well.

I would also argue that paying for 6-8hrs straight of 1 on 1 instruction time is largely a waste, realistically speaking 90%+ of that time would be the instructor watching you beat balls. 

4 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I would also argue that paying for 6-8hrs straight of 1 on 1 instruction time is largely a waste, realistically speaking 90%+ of that time would be the instructor watching you beat balls. 

If it is all on the range, totally agree.  Even broken up with short game area and putting I could see 4-5 hours with a nice lunch and discussion, etc. -- one day-ish.  First time I saw Monte my oldest daughter was along and I let her have the bulk of the time, so to speak, when we were out on the range because she was getting a lot out of it (I did, too, but I was more interested in seeing her enjoy it) and I'd say the short game aspect was pretty equally divided and worth every minute but I think we were on the range a couple of hours, had a nice lunch and short game area for a good just over an hour and back to the range for not too long and it was a solid day -- the key was the issues were quickly identified and things to work on figured out with full swing so where do you go from there other than take it with you and get to work, IMO.  Second time she and I went did range/short game "refresher" for a couple hours total, lunch then a 9 hole playing lesson, but still nothing like a 6-8 hour day.   First time we left Palm Desert in March with the sun up and were back from Irvine with the sun still just above the mountains, nice easy day that included a little over 4 hours of travel.

For me the benefit of a clinic is individual sessions that are to the point and spread out over a couple of days and a very focused playing lesson, so some opportunity for reinforcement/making sure you are getting it so the group aspect really doesn't take away from that and maybe for some it isn't "overload", take what you like from the group analysis, etc. (worth paying attention, IMO) and over 2-3 days you are really getting the full benefit or more over what you might pay the same amount for a 4-5 hour individual session.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

If it is all on the range, totally agree.  Even broken up with short game area and putting I could see 4-5 hours with a nice lunch and discussion, etc. -- one day-ish.  First time I saw Monte my oldest daughter was along and I let her have the bulk of the time, so to speak, when we were out on the range because she was getting a lot out of it (I did, too, but I was more interested in seeing her enjoy it) and I'd say the short game aspect was pretty equally divided and worth every minute but I think we were on the range a couple of hours, had a nice lunch and short game area for a good just over an hour and back to the range for not too long and it was a solid day -- the key was the issues were quickly identified and things to work on figured out with full swing so where do you go from there other than take it with you and get to work, IMO.  Second time she and I went did range/short game "refresher" for a couple hours total, lunch then a 9 hole playing lesson, but still nothing like a 6-8 hour day.   First time we left Palm Desert in March with the sun up and were back from Irvine with the sun still just above the mountains, nice easy day that included a little over 4 hours of travel.

For me the benefit of a clinic is individual sessions that are to the point and spread out over a couple of days and a very focused playing lesson, so some opportunity for reinforcement/making sure you are getting it so the group aspect really doesn't take away from that and maybe for some it isn't "overload", take what you like from the group analysis, etc. (worth paying attention, IMO) and over 2-3 days you are really getting the full benefit or more over what you might pay the same amount for a 4-5 hour individual session.

This is so true.

What more could you want from a golf clinic?  First, calling it a clinic is a misnomer given how many "clinics" are out there where you are shown repeatedly what a pro can do and you just sit and watch.  That aside, Monte's clinic plays right into what is best for your game.

You are going to get an early diagnosis of what your game needs the most.  That one thing to focus on.  And then you are going to work on that one thing a variety of ways.  Sprinkle in some fundamentals around short game designed to just get you playing high percentage manageable shots and on course lessons.  

But most important, you are going to get plenty of time and feedback on that one thing.  If you are smart, you go home and keep on working on that one thing, send in a video every once in awhile.  And about the time you have nailed that one thing never to be an issue for you again, it's time for Monte's clinic the next year where you can find that next "one thing".

Golf is hard, improvement not linear, get the right foundation and coach to guide you through one thing at a time.

Edited by CasualLie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

If some people had to choose between a better golf game and better health, I can be certain everyone would choose health

You would think so, but I doubt it.  

• Thanks 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

I can recommend Bill Moretti in Austin.  His Academy of Golf Dynamics has been around since the 80's  Top 100 teacher and has a stellar record for developing players.  And he's one of the nicest guys in golf.  I attended one of his 3 day clinics back in the early 90's and really enjoyed it.  Learned a few bunker techniques that served me well.

https://www.golfdynamics.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's input and feedback. I am starting to hone in on a shortlist of camps that might work best. Has anyone here had experience with Bird Golf camps? They are a little pricier, but look to have camps at nicer resorts and also offer 1:1 coaching. Please share if  you have any experience with them!

On 1/25/2022 at 3:08 PM, C0wboyG0lfer02 said:

Thanks for everyone's input and feedback. I am starting to hone in on a shortlist of camps that might work best. Has anyone here had experience with Bird Golf camps? They are a little pricier, but look to have camps at nicer resorts and also offer 1:1 coaching. Please share if  you have any experience with them!

If you want a resort type feel, wait for Monte's clinic at the Hal Sutton Golf Academy. I personally would be more concerned about who the instructors is and less where the clinic is held. 

It would be worth it if you are getting alot of touchpoints with the instructor(s) during those days. If it's 5 students but you get 1 hour per day on individual coaching and the rest to watch others and to do drills the rest of the time, it may not be worth it. If I go to a golf school, i'd want the instructor(s) watching over me from time to time on the lesson, the drill, reinforcement, etc. I went to a local one last year, and I definitely got some stuff out of it, but for the money I spent, the amount of instruction i personally got, wasn't worth the money. Could have gotten more out of 2 days with just a package of 4-hrs of lessons each day over 2 days. 

Having said that, I would probably still attend one, because I always pick stuff up that is new. It just has to make sense for you if the cost is worth it. 

Monte's 3-day school with Fee's is like $850+200 for the facility fee. That includes a playing lesson. Not a bad deal at all. Maybe something I should do next year! 

WITB:

Woods: Titleist TSR2 9° Driver, TSR2 3 wood, Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (4-GW)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: Spider Tour Z

Ball: TP5x

• 1 year later...