2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best anti-flip drills?

khalespace

I started golf without formal lessons and my problem is flipping and adding a lot of loft. I play with an 8* driver but my ball flight, around 18* launch angle, is higher than most people with 9* or 10.5* drivers.

What swing drill or training aid do you suggest that I use to reduce the problem?

I have been using the short swing and hit the ball hard with small back swing drill. Basically I am doing half swing with the left wrist in the extreme bowed position and then turn and hit the ball hard while maintaining bowed wrist and hopefully have some shaft lean. At practice, my ball flight is lower than before and sometimes I hit the ball 20 yards longer. However, I find that when I play on the course my mind often goes blank and I tend to go back to the old swing. I do see better ball contact and my divot is now behind the ball but ball flight is still high.

Edited by khalespace

Try some flying wedge drills and see how you do. If you're flipping it's probably because it's the only way to get the club on the ball, likely because you're not pivoting well. If you can't put on the brakes after impact and hold the wedge angles, that's what to work on.

• Like 1

Hold an alignment stick on the lead side of the club shaft extended halfway down the steel.  Address the ball with the part of the alignment stick pointing up on the lead side of your hip.  Start with small swings trying not to smack yourself in the lead rib cage. 

Immediate feedback that hurts when you do it wrong.  Nothing better to learn from.

More advanced version starting with stick on trail side is great for shallowing and rotation starts at 2:10 mark.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

I recommend every golfer try the Impact Snap at least once in their life.  I purchased one years ago and it was the most eye opening golf experience I've ever had.  I would say just go out and buy one, but they're kinda pricy (~$90?).   I'm in no way associated with the company - just a massive fan of something that can give you such a eye opening, counter intuitive feeling.

The bowed writst, knuckles down feeling that it gives a flipper is very different than what many folks brains associate with how to hit a ball.

Other mental images I've found useful in the past are hammering a nail through the ball and into the ground, scraping the ball off the ground, or even trying to skim the top of the ball with the face of the club.  All are intended to get the hands forward and strike the ball with a descending blow. 

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Agreed, OR your club face is wide open as you approach impact, the "little golfer" inside you knows you have to square it up and your lead arm/side slows down so the trail can catch up.  Do you flip when you take a practice swing (i.e. with no ball to hit)? If not then chances are that's at least part of the problem.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

Here are two videos. 1 year apart. 

My problems that I see:

1) Overswing with backswing. I am hanging a wire to limit this, when I turn too much my club hits the wire.

2) Early release, flipping - relating to #1? Open club face?

3) With the second video, my weight is on the outside of the right foot at the top of backswing. I am working on putting more weight on the left foot and try to keep weight on inside of right foot at top of back swing.

I am doing bow my wrist and have extreme shaft lean and hit the ball hard drill.

Hopefully with the hackmotion device, callaway chip stix and Impact snap I can have enough feedback to reduce this flipping. I am using a Stealth 8* driver and still hitting the ball higher than most people with 10.5*.

What other issues you see with my swing? Currently my handicap is 13, I think if I can eliminate this flipping and have better contact/lag/shaft lean I can get to single digit handicap. I also need to improve my short putting.

I am right handed, the first video was taken incorrectly and is mirror image.

Edited by khalespace

You need to clean up your backswing hip action before anything else.  Down the line would show some of this as well.  Forcing yiur head to stay down isn’t helping.  Look at the difference in pelvis positions at the top.  This is an almost universal problem.  Pros move their right hip to rotate the pelvis in the backswing and the left hip in the downswing.  Ams do the opposite and it’s why they sway and early extend.

8A5C3A70-D46C-48AC-A0BC-D0858A360DA3.png

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

12 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You need to clean up your backswing hip action before anything else.  Down the line would show some of this as well.  Forcing yiur head to stay down isn’t helping.  Look at the difference in pelvis positions at the top.  This is an almost universal problem.  Ams move their left hip to rotate the pelvis in the backswing and the left hip in the downswing.  Ams do the opposite and it’s why they sway and early extend.

8A5C3A70-D46C-48AC-A0BC-D0858A360DA3.png

Thanks. If I put more weight on the left side, does it help? I tried keeping my left knee like the pro and I can barely turn my torso. I will try doing hundreds of slow swings while keeping my left knee and left hip like this.

8 minutes ago, khalespace said:

Thanks. If I put more weight on the left side, does it help? I tried keeping my left knee like the pro and I can barely turn my torso. I will try doing hundreds of slow swings while keeping my left knee and left hip like this.

Then your still turning incorrectly.  It should allow your torso to turn more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFW-xPFdLf/?utm_medium=copy_link

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Then your still turning incorrectly.  It should allow your torso to turn more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFW-xPFdLf/?utm_medium=copy_link

I am unable to open instagram because I don't have an account. I am straining to turn. Is this close enough?

1 hour ago, khalespace said:

I am unable to open instagram because I don't have an account. I am straining to turn. Is this close enough?

Both hands need to be more closely integrated together at setup. 
Your should also move your hands a little more towards the target at setup.

During your backswing your left shoulder is moving too much down . Instead  it  should naturally move both down and away from target  as your thoracic ( middle ) spine rotates . 

Place your hands on opposite shoulders and practice the below drill. 

Edited by golfarb1

Here’s a drill I came up with for you:

Assume position in backswing in which left arm if parallel to ground and club vertical, right hip and shoulder rotated back and left hip and shoulder rotated toward the ball.  N.B. To get this position with proper shoulder plane you have to bend your left knee enough, and away from the target, while rolling inwards with the left foot.  From there, without moving your arms relative to your shoulders, continue to rotate your right hip and shoulder back until at around 45 and 90 degrees respectively, while at the same time shifting your entire body towards the left.  This may feel like your are shoving your right hip behind your back towards the target or like you are moving toward the target with your back towards the target or even like you are falling towards your left toe and creating a reverse pivot.  You may also feel this allows you to turn your shoulders more than you are used to, actually getting your left shoulder under your chin.

If you have rotated your hips and shoulders enough and you let it your body will react to being in the above condition by producing the type of down swing you want.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, Chunkitgood said:

Here’s a drill I came up with for you:

Assume position in backswing in which left arm if parallel to ground and club vertical, right hip and shoulder rotated back and left hip and shoulder rotated toward the ball.  N.B. To get this position with proper shoulder plane you have to bend your left knee enough, and away from the target, while rolling inwards with the left foot.  From there, without moving your arms relative to your shoulders, continue to rotate your right hip and shoulder back until at around 45 and 90 degrees respectively, while at the same time shifting your entire body towards the left.  This may feel like your are shoving your right hip behind your back towards the target or like you are moving toward the target with your back towards the target or even like you are falling towards your left toe and creating a reverse pivot.  You may also feel this allows you to turn your shoulders more than you are used to, actually getting your left shoulder under your chin.

If you have rotated your hips and shoulders enough and you let it your body will react to being in the above condition by producing the type of down swing you want.

Thank you but this is too complicated for me to visualize and replicate. Is there a video on Youtube for something similar.

Edited by khalespace

I will meet Monte in about two weeks. By chance, we both live in Orange County. I am very excited.

I have been toying with the Impact Snap. I clearly release early as the device "snaps" before the impact position. It is extremely difficult for me to make it snap at or after the impact position. I watch the Hackmotion videos and understand them but it is so hard to unlearn a bad habit.

I also received the Hackmotion Player device. Hope to use it soon.

My goal is to get to a 9 handicap, from the current 13, this year. I think I can do it.

4 minutes ago, khalespace said:

I will meet Monte in about two weeks. By chance, we both live in Orange County. I am very excited.

I have been toying with the Impact Snap. I clearly release early as the device "snaps" before the impact position. It is extremely difficult for me to make it snap at or after the impact position. I watch the Hackmotion videos and understand them but it is so hard to unlearn a bad habit.

I also received the Hackmotion Player device. Hope to use it soon.

My goal is to get to a 9 handicap, from the current 13, this year. I think I can do it.

Your problems are a result of an incorrect understanding of how to pivot going back.

The impact Snap  can help you feel a good release and the Hackmotion Wrist sensor will measure the various movements of the wrist , but neither will help without a good pivot

3 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

Your problems are a result of an incorrect understanding of how to pivot going back.

The impact Snap  can help you feel a good release and the Hackmotion Wrist sensor will measure the various movements of the wrist , but neither will help without a good pivot

Yes, hope Monte can explain this in person.

On 2/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, khalespace said:

Thank you but this is too complicated for me to visualize and replicate. Is there a video on Youtube for something similar.

Well, it’s a “drill” of my own invention (as far as I know).  All I was trying to say is that you need to initiate a lateral move towards the target before your hip and shoulder turn are complete.  One way to get the feel of doing it is, not surprisingly, to assume the (shaft vertical/left arm parallel to ground) position, and then move your body laterally towards the target while at the same time turning your hips and shoulders until your left shoulder is under your chin.

When you incorporate this idea (lateral shift before shoulder turn back ends, aka having a proper transition) in your swing, you tend to insure full shoulder turn, and move the point of contact with the ground forward toward the target (helping “flip” as I understand it), as well as shallow the club and a lot of other good things.

IMHO, of course.

Or see this video part. after 9:00:

On 2/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, Chunkitgood said:

Well, it’s a “drill” of my own invention (as far as I know).  All I was trying to say is that you need to initiate a lateral move towards the target before your hip and shoulder turn are complete.  One way to get the feel of doing it is, not surprisingly, to assume the (shaft vertical/left arm parallel to ground) position, and then move your body laterally towards the target while at the same time turning your hips and shoulders until your left shoulder is under your chin.

When you incorporate this idea (lateral shift before shoulder turn back ends, aka having a proper transition) in your swing, you tend to insure full shoulder turn, and move the point of contact with the ground forward toward the target (helping “flip” as I understand it), as well as shallow the club and a lot of other good things.

IMHO, of course.

Or see this video part. after 9:00:

Thank you for the video and more explanations. I think I slowly understand the idea.

So a small lateral left hip move during final moment of completing the backswing helps to shallow and clear enough space so that I can turn and not have to stand up and move forward? And that the chest should be about 20 degrees open rather than square at impact?

So If I have to address the ball with the driver at the toe and end up hitting the ball at the heel is evidence of my swing flaw because I have move forward?

Edited by khalespace

I'd recommend finding a place you can hit off some dirt, like a field, the worse shape the better. Hit chips and 20-30yard pitch shots, groove your impact zone swing and strike. Hit pitches left hand only, then right hand only. I find places to practice with google map satellite. Have 3 good ones within a mile of my house and try to practice every day if I can. 

Edit- that video above is great. Right cheek, left cheek. Swing with your butt cheeks. That's what I've been working on last 4-5 months. 

Edited by ezra76

• 10 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, sprcoop said:

Hold an alignment stick on the lead side of the club shaft extended halfway down the steel.  Address the ball with the part of the alignment stick pointing up on the lead side of your hip.  Start with small swings trying not to smack yourself in the lead rib cage. 

Immediate feedback that hurts when you do it wrong.  Nothing better to learn from.

More advanced version starting with stick on trail side is great for shallowing and rotation starts at 2:10 mark.

This is not only the best anti-flip drill, it's the best drill for 95 percent of the things that can go wrong when you don't fundamentally understand the way the club passes in front of the body on the downswing. If you are a beginner and an instructor doesn't show you some form of the above drill within 2-3 lessons, you should question your instructor's motives.

[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Titleist 917D3 10.5*[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Titleist 917f2 15*[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Titleist 818H2 19*[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Mizuno MP Fli HI Cut Muscle 3I[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Bridgestone J33CB 5I-PW[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Vokey SM7 50*, 54* and 58*[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Ping Redwood Zing[/size][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][size=3]Srixon Z Star[/size][/color]

I've been working on the same things as you.  Life long flipper.  Full body rotation is my big hang up right now because I'm so used to being a stall flipper to hit the ball. Monte will really help in person, but until then my advice is based on your take away video let your right hip work back towards the target and you should be able to get more depth and turn.  My feel on the take away is once I pressure on the right foot my right hip feels like I'm turning it back toward the target.  Good luck.