2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno Pro 225 Reviews

jetmech879

On 12/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Agree, something is not right with those clubs. Distances should be proportionate. The one thing I differ from you is these are the longest clubs I have ever played. Most recent irons played before these were PXG Gen3 P and Mizuno JPX921 HMP.

With my previous clubs, the 7i was around 155-160 and with the Pro225, I am 165+. I am also 1˚ weak from stock spec.

Mr. Wolfe

How do your 225's compare to the Gen3 P's when it comes to holding greens? I'm currently gaming the Gen3 P's and love everything about them other than the distance. Been looking into the 225's as a potential longer version of the Gen3 P's. 

2 hours ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

How do your 225's compare to the Gen3 P's when it comes to holding greens? I'm currently gaming the Gen3 P's and love everything about them other than the distance. Been looking into the 225's as a potential longer version of the Gen3 P's. 

Hmmm, not sure. My home course has very receptive greens that bite so typically not an issue holding greens with either. I have been revamping my swing and have also changed shafts since the PXG's so I don't think I can give you an apples to apples comparison, unfortunately. I liked my Gen3's, but really digging the Pro 225's.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased the 225s 4-pw with the DG 105 S300 shafts.  I’m coming from a combo set of MP20 HMBs, 3-7, MP 20 MBs, 8-pw with DG 120 S300s.  In the testing bay I was getting 10 yards more distance with the 225 6 iron vs the HMB 6.  Maybe it was due to the lighter shaft.  The 225s look much more like a traditional Mizuno blade.  They feel almost as good as my old MP4 blades.  On the grass practice tee, the turf interaction seemed fine.  Peak height is good as is launch angles and spin.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing the Titleist T200's for about a while.  I like them except for the sound.  On a whim and based on reviews (I know...should have been fitted), I purchased the 225's for a very good price.  I have not received them yet and I am hoping I can hit them.  The blade looks much smaller than the T-200.  Has anyone hit both?

On 12/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, a1superdad said:

I just purchased the 225s 4-pw with the DG 105 S300 shafts.  I’m coming from a combo set of MP20 HMBs, 3-7, MP 20 MBs, 8-pw with DG 120 S300s.  In the testing bay I was getting 10 yards more distance with the 225 6 iron vs the HMB 6.  Maybe it was due to the lighter shaft.  The 225s look much more like a traditional Mizuno blade.  They feel almost as good as my old MP4 blades.  On the grass practice tee, the turf interaction seemed fine.  Peak height is good as is launch angles and spin.  

225 lofts are stronger than HMBs. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

2 hours ago, yellowjacket82 said:

I have been playing the Titleist T200's for about a while.  I like them except for the sound.  On a whim and based on reviews (I know...should have been fitted), I purchased the 225's for a very good price.  I have not received them yet and I am hoping I can hit them.  The blade looks much smaller than the T-200.  Has anyone hit both?

I played T200s last year and got the 225s last month. Overall I like the look and feel better of the 225. Performance, I would say pretty even in terms of yardage and turf interaction.  I also went from AMT black shaft to DG 120 s300. 

On 12/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, a1superdad said:

On 1/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, Boognish said:

225 lofts are stronger than HMBs. 

It's only a 1* difference (27 vs 28). That's not going to equate to a 10 yard difference so loft would not have been a significant factor here IMO.

Without any specific info my guess would be that it might have been the lighter shaft and a1 producing more swing speed as a result.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Agree, something is not right with those clubs. Distances should be proportionate. The one thing I differ from you is these are the longest clubs I have ever played. Most recent irons played before these were PXG Gen3 P and Mizuno JPX921 HMP.

With my previous clubs, the 7i was around 155-160 and with the Pro225, I am 165+. I am also 1˚ weak from stock spec.

Mr. Wolfe

thanks for the Replies.  I’ve been struggling on with the 225s but today I decided I was done .  Took them out of the bag and put my old irons back it.  It’s real relief to have them out.

But what a disappointment the whole episode has been.  I wonder if there is a way to salvage them.  Lighter shaft and a half an inch longer.  I hate to throw good money after bad though.

Edited by likesgolf

On 12/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Mr. Wolfe

How did the weight compare to your former clubs.  The fitter made the mizuno shafts heavier than my old clubs.  They are also half an inch shorter even though the speck says they are the same length as my old ones.

9 hours ago, likesgolf said:

How did the weight compare to your former clubs.  The fitter made the mizuno shafts heavier than my old clubs.  They are also half an inch shorter even though the speck says they are the same length as my old ones.

So basically the fitter did two things here that would more than likely end up costing you distance. Heavier shaft usually = slower swing speed = distance loss in most cases. Shorter shaft = less swing speed = distance loss. Add to this- potentially poor gapping on the them and yep, you would end up with a very unfriendly setup. Also if you simply do not get on with a heavier shaft feel wise, it only makes it all worse. I'm not saying you should keep them but if it were me and I was going to give them another whirl, I would get refit and decide from there if a shaft or other changes would help.

10 hours ago, likesgolf said:

I build all of my clubs so weights were the same. I typically build my irons around a D2 SW.

Mr. Wolfe

I had my 225's built to the exact specs of my cf19's they replaced and as much as I loved my cf19's the 225's have been better for me in most every way.  I like the look, feel, and distance control in the 225's.  I am hitting them a similar distance to my previous irons but they are more consistent. I have gotten comfortable with the shaft I play, the swing weight, loft, and lie angles I have them at.  

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Mizuno Pro 225 is one of the best feeling hollow body irons out there. The size and shape doesn't work for me in the mid and short irons, but the 225 is a sweet long iron. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - Black RDX 6.5 / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / ZX7 Modus 115 X 5-P, SM9 52.12 Modus 115X / SM9 56.10 - PX 6.0 / SM9 60.08 PX Wedge 6.0/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 4:10 AM, SDG90 said:

Not really, for me they sort of bounced of the turf instead of cutting through it. Must admit I play on slightly firmer turf most of the time. 

Would it sound like they are geared more towards a sweeper?

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 11:38 AM, yellowjacket82 said:

• 4 weeks later...

66 year old... 6 hdcp. Low swing speed (~92mph Driver)

I bought a set of 225s with recoil 95 f3 shafts to replace a set of Apex cf16s with recoil es780 F4 smacwrap shafts..

After 5 rounds I would say I am disappointed and struggling:   

Several things:  The 225s are HEAVY... I actually weighed a few on a food scale and they run about 5-8 OZs heavier than the CF16s.... Yes the shaft weighs about 10 grams more, but same grip so it is definitely the heads.   Either the 225s are very heavy or  the Cf1 6 heads were light... confusing.

I find the feel in the 5-8 irons to be tolerable -- not great, but to me the 9-P-GW feel dead.

Distance is comparable to my CF 16's  although I will say I'm struggling to find the sweet spot.

Also, they seem to want to go left.... maybe because they are too heavy for me and causing me to flip hard at the bottom.   

Would be interested to know if anyone else here finds that they feel heavy or has issues with them going left.   I actually read a review on another site where some of the testers mentioned the weight.

Trying to decide if I should throw in the towel or try to work through ir.    I love the looks in the bag and at address. 

22 hours ago, snowman0157 said:

I bought a set of 225s with recoil 95 f3 shafts to replace a set of Apex cf16s with recoil es780 F4 smacwrap shafts..

Several things:  The 225s are HEAVY... I actually weighed a few on a food scale and they run about 5-8 OZs heavier than the CF16s.... Yes the shaft weighs about 10 grams more, but same grip so it is definitely the heads.   Either the 225s are very heavy or  the Cf1 6 heads were light... confusing.

I find the feel in the 5-8 irons to be tolerable -- not great, but to me the 9-P-GW feel dead.

Distance is comparable to my CF 16's  although I will say I'm struggling to find the sweet spot.

Also, they seem to want to go left.... maybe because they are too heavy for me and causing me to flip hard at the bottom.   

Would be interested to know if anyone else here finds that they feel heavy or has issues with them going left.   I actually read a review on another site where some of the testers mentioned the weight.

Trying to decide if I should throw in the towel or try to work through ir.    I love the looks in the bag and at address. 

I had a quick stint with the MP225s last year and I also found they had a tendency to go left. However it could have been due to a shaft that doesn’t fit me. I got them with Modus 120X and I don’t think those work for me. 

I had them reshafted with Project X 6.0, but I have not tried them with the new shafts yet. 

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

On 4/3/2023 at 1:40 PM, snowman0157 said:

I’m 67 & went from recoils in my i525 to Steelfiber i95 cw and love them. The heavier weight match with my JPX 923 HMP’s gives me better control

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 6/16/2022 at 7:04 PM, Nudgster said:

My set makeup I've ordered. I will check specs, Spine shafts and re-assemble once they arrive including, PX IO shafts, BB&F ferrules & GM Roo Grips in Olive and Dark Green (alternate colours through the bag). I will put up some pics when I'm done and let you know how the mix and specs work for me.

225:

5 @ 26* Loft, 62.5* Lie

6 @ 29* 63* 

7 @ 33* 63.5* 

223:

8 @ 37* 64* 

9 @ 42* 64.5*

W @ 46* 65*

Already have a HMB 4 @ 23* 62*

how did the 225s work for you at 3* weak? Any issues with bounce? 

I’m  not a high swing speed player, typically 7i goes 140, but these jump to 160 but super low spin. There’s no way I would hold a green compared to my MMCs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After playing the 225s with DG105 S300s for about 8 months I couldn’t be happier.  I’m 70 now and I’ve never struck irons so well in my life.  I’ve got the 4-pw.  They look and feel great.  Previously, I played a combo set of HMBs and MP20s.  Back in the day it was Wilson Staff FG17s.   These clubs are the best at distance control and accuracy.  My stock 6 iron goes 172 yards, 79 mph ss.

Love the 225s!

• Like 1

I've had these for 4 months so far. On the sim, my spin is low, but on the course no issues holding greens. The forged PW and 9i are precise. The 8i, 7i, and 6i are hot. I can't get the 5i or 4i off the ground. 

My experience has been 9i and PW play like a traditional forging.  There's a pretty big gap to 8i, 15+ yards, and then big gaps to 7i and 6i. 

I guess if you're okay PW to 6i going 120 to 180, then they're good for you. 

Looks are great, feel is great. 

20230819_150844.jpg

10 hours ago, petep5280 said:

I've had these for 4 months so far. On the sim, my spin is low, but on the course no issues holding greens. The forged PW and 9i are precise. The 8i, 7i, and 6i are hot. I can't get the 5i or 4i off the ground. 

My experience has been 9i and PW play like a traditional forging.  There's a pretty big gap to 8i, 15+ yards, and then big gaps to 7i and 6i. 

I guess if you're okay PW to 6i going 120 to 180, then they're good for you. 

Looks are great, feel is great. 

20230819_150844.jpg

My set just came in today and I fired an 81 with minimal time to tinker with them and get the distances down - but based on what you just stated I can see how most of it will be true for me. The 4i and 5i will require time to get used to, but I rarely hit those clubs.

6i and 7i are definitely hot.Caught a 7i flush today on a Par 3 and it carried 180 uphill. It felt so good though. The feedback on these is phenomenal and they are pretty forgiving. Had a couple tugs with them but was still catching pieces of the greens. 

8-PW all felt like butter. Going to need time to get distances dialed here as I no longer have a gap wedge. 

Played an easier track, but I hit these so much better than my previous irons. 

I am coming out of the 921 Forged with 120g stiff shafts. I went back to 105g Dynamic Golds which I think is helping a little. 

IMG_7267.jpeg

8 hours ago, J4Camp said:

My set just came in today and I fired an 81 with minimal time to tinker with them and get the distances down - but based on what you just stated I can see how most of it will be true for me. The 4i and 5i will require time to get used to, but I rarely hit those clubs.

6i and 7i are definitely hot.Caught a 7i flush today on a Par 3 and it carried 180 uphill. It felt so good though. The feedback on these is phenomenal and they are pretty forgiving. Had a couple tugs with them but was still catching pieces of the greens. 

8-PW all felt like butter. Going to need time to get distances dialed here as I no longer have a gap wedge. 

Played an easier track, but I hit these so much better than my previous irons. 

I am coming out of the 921 Forged with 120g stiff shafts. I went back to 105g Dynamic Golds which I think is helping a little. 

IMG_7267.jpeg

I did a little work last night on launching long irons and I need a more aggressive AOA or I get them thin. 

I'm a DG105 hitter too, R300 or S300. It doesn't matter. That shaft feels too natural to me. 

Low strikes are the one negative I have experienced with the 225 coupled with a project X I/O shaft.

They simply do not get up very high. The carry is still decent, but the height and of course angle of descent suffer badly. Not saying that this is atypical of a players or players distance iron in general, just wish it offered a bit more help in that area.

Edited by Dpavs