2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping PLD users

braincramp52

On 10/16/2022 at 3:21 PM, brettplaysgolf said:

I had Ping install a new Ping shaft. I don't know if they'd install an aftermarket shaft for you, I haven't checked. The reshaft and repair was a little over $120, including shipping.

Let me know how your plan works out!

Got the BGT shaft installed with the .350 shaft from BgT didn’t have to use the original ping shaft. I looooooove this thing now. Went with the lamakin deep etched gripped with 33 inches of total length for the perfect swing weight. 

Edited by flotilla

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know whats the best precise location to add a sight dot or line to pld anser ? 

looking at the pld anser 2 that has a sight line looks like the line is between the letter LA .  

i tried putting the dot on my PLD in the same location but it doesnt look like as centered as the pld2, it looks like its closer to the heel (blue dot  is what it feels like its to me when i look down at address versus the red on the PLD, sorry for using the pld 2 for example but its best for comparison purposes) but it does feel crisp when i strike the ball though, just wondering if its mental or there's a fundamental difference between pld and pld2.

image.png.517b0fdb758a93e2e7079ae2a80313d7.png

• 2 months later...

Can someone with the DS 72 comment on the sound of the putter on longer putts? Does it make a higher pitched noise on longer putts? In this Youtube review, you can hear it when she hits some lag putts and she mentions the sound (starts at the 7:30 minute mark). I've not noticed this on short and intermediate putts in the store. Just curious if it sounds different when you have to hit it harder.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus Blue TR 6

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 Black 

LAB DF3 Counterbalance - TPT Shaft

19 minutes ago, biglefthander said:

I’ve used a DS72 and a pro v1 this fall/winter and not noticed any unusual sounds from any distance 🤷‍♂️ 

Thanks for the response. I found it odd in the video, because nothing about the milling or construction of the head would lead me to believe it would sound tingy. This confirms that. Thanks!

On 6/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, Shawn0 said:

On the topic of the Ping PLD Anser 2… does anyone know if the head weight is the same regardless of shaft length? I’ve only seen anywhere that the head weighs 350g. Seems you’d have very different swing weights depending on the length you purchase. This is unlike the Scotty approach of using different sole weights for different lengths. Any insights would be great. Thanks, guys!

It is the same head weight for all shaft lengths with ping on this line. if you need head weight adjustable the vault 2.0 is you best chance with ping

Maybe a question for this thread:

Was in PGA SS, needed a head taken off. Rolled some putters while I waited. Loved the PLD but in the black ones, the shaft is black, but the shaft doesn't seem too stable to me. Obviously it's a graphite shaft. 

It's a ping shaft and I do know that ping does a lot of their own work. I had a vault anser 2.0 that I put a KBS shaft in but the builder had to sand down the tip to make it fit. 

Has anyone who owns a PLD replaced the shaft with a different one and how did the putter feel?

Thanks!! 

1 hour ago, gevans24 said:

Was in PGA SS, needed a head taken off. Rolled some putters while I waited. Loved the PLD but in the black ones, the shaft is black, but the shaft doesn't seem too stable to me. Obviously it's a graphite shaft. 

It's a ping shaft and I do know that ping does a lot of their own work. I had a vault anser 2.0 that I put a KBS shaft in but the builder had to sand down the tip to make it fit. 

Has anyone who owns a PLD replaced the shaft with a different one and how did the putter feel?

Thanks!! 

Haven’t replaced it but played the graphite quite a while.  Honestly feels stiffer than my Phantom X steel shafts.  Your mileage may vary.  

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, gevans24 said:

Thanks!! 

I believe the custom PLD graphite and steel are slightly different than OTR.  You may have been trying a custom, don't know (hope no one would trade that in...lol).  Alex from Ping noted the initial feedback on the graphite was that it was really stiff...I don't know how people tell that on a putter, but we went steel. Seems 'beefier' than any of my vault pings...

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

On 1/23/2023 at 2:35 PM, gevans24 said:

Thanks!! 

I wouldn't change a thing about my PLD Anser. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:08 PM, WarEagleGolf said:

I believe the custom PLD graphite and steel are slightly different than OTR.  You may have been trying a custom, don't know (hope no one would trade that in...lol).  Alex from Ping noted the initial feedback on the graphite was that it was really stiff...I don't know how people tell that on a putter, but we went steel. Seems 'beefier' than any of my vault pings...

Well it had the plastic on it and it was MSRP price. Don't get wrong the putter felt phenomenal. I'm just wondering if anyone had noticed what I did. Chances are I buy one and just roll it haha. I would assume Ping did plenty of R&D on them

2 hours ago, gevans24 said:

Well it had the plastic on it and it was MSRP price. Don't get wrong the putter felt phenomenal. I'm just wondering if anyone had noticed what I did. Chances are I buy one and just roll it haha. I would assume Ping did plenty of R&D on them

I’ve heard that comment on here before. I personally thinks it’s a good shaft but it’s up to you.  Some people like the stability shaft feel. 

6 hours ago, Nic1972 said:

I rolled the Anser 2D in a local shop, loved everything about it, look, feel, weight. The problem is that I just received my new irons, next on the list are wedges, and I am putting quite well with my Scotty right now…

Always good to have a nice backup to threaten ur existing putter to behave so it knows it will be benched if it misbehaves

• Haha 2

I can't get my PLD out of the bag.  Not sure why I try as it's noticeably better for me than anything I try.  I will keep plugging away LOL.  

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW - KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Taylormade Spider Tour X Double Bend

8 minutes ago, Eeecc said:

Always good to have a nice backup to threaten ur existing putter to behave so it knows it will be benched if it misbehaves

And why we have the mantra of “putters dont count” in our group of friends when talking about spending too much on clubs.

Edited by ClarkGriswold
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nic1972 said:

Very valid point, but I already have 6 putters… The wife would not be happy.

By u really only have 5 extra putter since u always use 1. U need an even 6 backups.

clearly I am not married yet. Lol

I have 3 putters…so really just 2 spares

Edited by Eeecc
  • Haha 1

Speaking of the Anser D... does anyone know if the neck is longer than the Anser/Anser 2 necks?

Ping G430 Max 10.5* Alta CB Black 65 S

Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist U505 20* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.5 80g

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 48.8F, 54.10S, 58.8M S300

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+

Titleist ProV1x

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2023 at 3:13 PM, njmack said:

Can anyone compare the feel off the face of the PLD line vs the Anser 2D with the PEBAX insert? Golf Galaxy is the only place around me with them & they're all wrapped in plastic...

Expectation would be PLD line to be firmer vs. the insert? But compared to what? Is the insert softer than a white hot? Firmer?

I hit the Anser 2D with Pebax at the shop a bit but it was a couple of weeks ago. Had a soft unique feel that has a bit of audible ting/pop to it if I remember correctly. Kind of unique. Made it feel soft and lively at the same time.  I liked it. I think the difference with a white hot is  the white hot is soft but also has a soft sound. I am basing this off memory so take it with a grain of salt. The PLD's I tried felt like most other nice solid milled 303 stainless putters. Just a firm/solid feel with a soft tock sound. 

I am thinking of getting a PLD Anser D because I am a snob and need to have the more premium version, but the Anser 2D looks sounds and feels really nice. 

Edited by halfsumo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

Apex UW 19* DI 8x

P DHY 22* Ct-aper lite 110
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

4 hours ago, halfsumo said:

I hit the Anser 2D with Pebax at the shop a bit but it was a couple of weeks ago. Had a soft unique feel that has a bit of audible ting/pop to it if I remember correctly. Kind of unique. Made it feel soft and lively at the same time.  I liked it. I think the difference with a white hot is  the white hot is soft but also has a soft sound. I am basing this off memory so take it with a grain of salt. The PLD's I tried felt like most other nice solid milled 303 stainless putters. Just a firm/solid feel with a soft tock sound. 

I am thinking of getting a PLD Anser D because I am a snob and need to have the more premium version, but the Anser 2D looks sounds and feels really nice. 

I know the feeling! lol thanks

I'm between the two myself. I did find a shop with a PLD and one of the 2023 insert models to try, but it was the DS72 and the Tyne G--neither of which I can aim very well, so the experience felt sort of off. But I agree with you, the 2D felt and sounded different from most insert putters I've tried--not a bad different, though.

PLD felt great, I thought it sounded a little more muted than the new Super Special Camerons, and was maybe a little firmer, too. Newport 2 plus was a very nice putter, but I did like the feel/sound of the PLD more.

On 3/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, braincramp52 said:

Anybody playing the PLD Oslo?

I had one delivered yesterday. Ordered it a couple weeks ago before I picked up my custom Mack Made. Not sure the Oslo 4 is even going to get a fair shot at the bag now, the Mack Made is incredible. I rolled the Oslo 4 at a PGA Superstore and really liked it. I will echo what the poster before me just stated, it does seem firmer on my small putting mat versus how it felt at the Superstore (using the same ball, I'm the weirdo that takes their own golf balls to PGA Superstore). I may take it to the course today to see how it feels on the putting green. It sets up great behind the ball. The head does feel very heavy at 35" (375 grams). But that's something I've been experimenting with lately. Heavy putter heads seem to sure up my stroke a bit. 

• Like 1