Crosswater

Pulledabill

• 8 months later...

Make sure that you don't go to play it before July.  I booked my housing in december, called to make my tee times yesterday, and was told that Cross Water would be closed until 7/1 due to a 1 million dollar bunkering project.  Can you say bummer?  Was planning on playing Crosswater twice, now I have to scramble.  Hopefully my pro will be able to get me onto a couple of the private tracks.

15 minutes ago, DandyDon said:

Make sure that you don't go to play it before July.  I booked my housing in december, called to make my tee times yesterday, and was told that Cross Water would be closed until 7/1 due to a 1 million dollar bunkering project.  Can you say bummer?  Was planning on playing Crosswater twice, now I have to scramble.  Hopefully my pro will be able to get me onto a couple of the private tracks.

It's ~45 mins from Sunriver, but both the Faz and Nicklaus at Pronghorn are great options. Our pro was able to get 12 of us onto the Faz at Pronghorn with one call, so shouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, DandyDon said:

So I had my pro call get us on to the pronghorn Fazio.  We are staying at Sunriver and looking for one more course.  Thoughts on Woodlands, Meadows or a drive to Black Butte?

I'd have your pro inquire about getting you onto Bend G&CC or Broken Top.  If not, then Woodlands > Meadows > Black Butte.  And Pronghorn Nicklaus over all of these.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 3:09 PM, DandyDon said:

So I had my pro call get us on to the pronghorn Fazio.  We are staying at Sunriver and looking for one more course.  Thoughts on Woodlands, Meadows or a drive to Black Butte?

IMO

If I were staying in SunRiver, I wouldn’t drive to Pronghorn twice, though the Nicklaus course is very good. 

Woodlands is comparable in quality to Crosswater, and I can’t see staying there and not playing it.

Tetherow is in very good condition at this point. If you’re interested and have the ability, this is a good time for an attempt.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Meadows and (especially) Woodlands don't get the love they deserve, IMO. 

And you don't have all the annoying speed-regulated trips over the multitude of wooden bridges that you get on Crosswater (which should be named "Crosswater And Crosswater and Crosswater and Crosswater")...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 4/21/2023 at 3:09 PM, DandyDon said:

If you are staying at Sunriver, only make 1 trip to Pronghorn. As for Sunriver, Crosswater is the jewel but there are multiple bland holes. I’m not a Meadows fan but it’s not a bad round. If you want an interesting test make the drive 10 minutes south and play Quail Run. 

21 hours ago, mallrat said:

Has Tetherow become harder to get on?

Not exactly. If you haven’t been here in the last two years, the pandemic money influx resulted in a massive building boom. It’s no longer a desert/juniper environment, just a mass of large houses/mansions/compounds.

The golf memberships are sold out and there are more reserved times early, when it’s less windy. Weekends still flirt with very long rounds.

6 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

Not exactly. If you haven’t been here in the last two years, the pandemic money influx resulted in a massive building boom. It’s no longer a desert/juniper environment, just a mass of large houses/mansions/compounds.

The golf memberships are sold out and there are more reserved times early, when it’s less windy. Weekends still flirt with very long rounds.

When we left Bend (my wife worked at Tetherow) they were talking about going all private. I think he has said that since day 1 that once they got to 350 members (I think that was the number) that they would go private but not sure how that would work with lodging and the guests staying there. 

That place is just run so poorly. 

Lived in Bend for 25 years. We moved at end of 2020. So sad what that town has become just horrible....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

38 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

Lived in Bend for 25 years. We moved at end of 2020. So sad what that town has become just horrible....

It’s certainly not horrible. Just Very Northern California. The latest mass migration did pretty much wipe away what remained of the original social environment.

5 hours ago, mallrat said:

When we left Bend (my wife worked at Tetherow) they were talking about going all private. I think he has said that since day 1 that once they got to 350 members (I think that was the number) that they would go private but not sure how that would work with lodging and the guests staying there. 

That place is just run so poorly. 

Most of those responsible for Tetherow’s aura of poor management and a-hole attitudes are gone. They did leave quite a leadership and technical ability void that they have struggled with, but they are far from alone in that regard.

I am no longer a member so I don’t know, but if they went private, there would be virtually no one on the course in the afternoon. It’s already like that on weekends.

Tetherow is a waste of time and money in my opinion. You hit a great shot and are penalized. The bunkers were over sanded, that unless it was absolutely perfect it would not get out of the bunker. The greens were not receptive 9iron couldn’t hold the green. 

again good shots were punished. I’m a 4 handicap and failed to break 85 everytime and didn’t feel the course was “that hard”. So much so we’ve gone back three times and each time we leave with the same comment before of “I’m never playing there again, what a waste of money” do then a bit later saying no way, I’m going to conquer that place to have it just take my money again and be frustrated. 

Widgi creek is fun as a short course. Aspen lakes is nice if they keep it maintained. Pronghorn is my favorite in oregon besides bandon and pacific dunes. 

Edited by sheppick.dan
Spelling

10 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

It’s certainly not horrible. Just Very Northern California. The latest mass migration did pretty much wipe away what remained of the original social environment.

Sure did used to be a sleepy blue collar town and no longer is. sad....

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

7 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

Tetherow is a waste of time and money in my opinion. You hit a great shot and are penalized. The bunkers were over sanded, that unless it was absolutely perfect it would not get out of the bunker. The greens were not receptive 9iron couldn’t hold the green. 

again good shots were punished. I’m a 4 handicap and failed to break 85 everytime and didn’t feel the course was “that hard”. So much so we’ve gone back three times and each time we leave with the same comment before of “I’m never playing there again, what a waste of money” do then a bit later saying no way, I’m going to conquer that place to have it just take my money again and be frustrated. 

Widgi creek is fun as a short course. Aspen lakes is nice if they keep it maintained. Pronghorn is my favorite in oregon besides bandon and pacific dunes. 

I agree with you about Tetherow, though it's entertaining if you're none too concerned about scoring.  

One of my favorites is Brasada Canyon out at Brasada Ranch.  The greens are great, and it's perfectly possible to score well there, as the fairways are generally forgiving.  It does get windy in the afternoons.  I understand it went private, so you'll need some sort of connection, but I believe you can still play if you're staying at the resort.  It can be a very nice day...