*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

What’s the CQ feel like? I’ve been wondering if maybe it’s close to something like the Fujikura Speeder NX Blue? What’s its nearest Graphite Design neighbor?

I would say it’s close to a VR or DI in feel. IMO it shines with newer low spin driver heads like the triple diamond or stealth+ and LS heads etc 

im loving mine right now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

It's very lively and has a pronounced kick with the signature GD smoothness is the best way to describe it. 

Gotcha, maybe something like a softer tipped Diamana TB?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

38 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Gotcha, maybe something like a softer tipped Diamana TB?

TB and CQ are similar, IMO.  Tipping either shaft the correct amount is key to get the spin in the right zone for your swing as they are both tip soft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 10/22/2022 at 5:58 AM, Valtiel said:

I'd argue that the MJ is actually quite close to the Ventus Red profile wise, just maybe half a flex softer or so from a CPM standpoint. 

I just picked up an AD-TP 8x from a forum member to test in my 3w, on paper it should be in a similar family to the Blue TR in the driver. 👍

I play an MJ-8X in my.3 wood - best fairway shaft I've ever tried. It's a little spinny in the 5 and 6 categories, but in the 8X, it launches mid and spins low-midish with tight dispersion and great feel.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

On 12/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, phizzy30 said:

TB and CQ are similar, IMO.  Tipping either shaft the correct amount is key to get the spin in the right zone for your swing as they are both tip soft. 

Funny you mention this. I always felt the TB was a bit loose and noodlish and I don’t get that at all with the CQ but I can definitely see a similar feel with both of them in a classic blueboard sense.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

I gave the UB one last chance in a different fairway head to behave today and it did, again. Such polarizing performance so far. I have my Callaway flat adapter installed on it and its rare as all hell so the UB had that going for it since I didnt feel like pulling it again. I'm going to try and tinker with this Paradym X head and the UB in a 3 wood and see what happens.

Oh also forgot to mention I have an ADIZ HYB 95 to try in 5 hybrid today as well. I love the DI 85 and have moved it to my fli hi utility. I recall not liking the IZ vs the DI in hybrid but I found one in 95g for a great price so I’ll revisit it here. I wanted to try a 95 vs 85 as well since the 25* 5h has quite a heavy head on it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Oh also forgot to mention I have an ADIZ HYB 95 to try in 5 hybrid today as well. I love the DI 85 and have moved it to my fli hi utility. I recall not liking the IZ vs the DI in hybrid but I found one in 95g for a great price so I’ll revisit it here. I wanted to try a 95 vs 85 as well since the 25* 5h has quite a heavy head on it.

The IZ is by far my favorite GD shaft. The feel is soooo good. Will be interesting to hear your take on the IZ hybrid. I had the DI hybrid for a while and hated the feel. Part of the reason I'm testing a 9 wood is so I can use fairway shafts. 

• Like 1

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / Miura TC-201 6-PW + PX 6.0  / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

On 12/24/2023 at 2:27 PM, eric61 said:

What’s the CQ feel like? I’ve been wondering if maybe it’s close to something like the Fujikura Speeder NX Blue? What’s its nearest Graphite Design neighbor?

@eric61 I’ve hit both in the same head, no numbers just feel and ball flight. Visually launch, spin and distance were similar. If anything speeder nx blue was a little higher launch for me. 

CQ felt much tighter and dispersion was better. With the nx I was never really confident which way it was going to go. CQ was predictable. 

Edited by Reg_Golf
  • Thanks 1

Curious, what are you guys playing in iron shafts?  I've been playing my XC 6tx/7x, HD 7tx in woods over the last few weeks and thought maybe it'd be interesting to see what matches up to these- obviously not perfectly but I really like the feel.  XC even more than HD, the softer handle is great for me.

I've got px LZ 6.5s SSx1 in my zx7s which I think are somewhat similar to GD family.  My only complaint is they are much easier to draw and much harder to cut.  Stock Cut = 2 yards which is basically straight, draw = 7-10.   But distance and dispersion are excellent, it's just more left friendly.   I can work x100s no problem but not a fan of the ball flight, feel or weight.

What else is out there that you guys like?  I was looking at modus 120 might be similar to XC...?

Edited by Kwheat

4 hours ago, Kwheat said:

Curious, what are you guys playing in iron shafts?  I've been playing my XC 6tx/7x, HD 7tx in woods over the last few weeks and thought maybe it'd be interesting to see what matches up to these- obviously not perfectly but I really like the feel.  XC even more than HD, the softer handle is great for me.

I've got px LZ 6.5s SSx1 in my zx7s which I think are somewhat similar to GD family.  My only complaint is they are much easier to draw and much harder to cut.  Stock Cut = 2 yards which is basically straight, draw = 7-10.   But distance and dispersion are excellent, it's just more left friendly.   I can work x100s no problem but not a fan of the ball flight, feel or weight.

What else is out there that you guys like?  I was looking at modus 120 might be similar to XC...?

I was always told not to worry about matching steel irons to woods at a technical level to each other - but FWIW as a GD shaft ho I have been using Modus, C-Taper Lite, and DG105/120 with success. YMMV.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:51 AM, HillbillyHoma said:

The IZ is by far my favorite GD shaft. The feel is soooo good. Will be interesting to hear your take on the IZ hybrid. I had the DI hybrid for a while and hated the feel. Part of the reason I'm testing a 9 wood is so I can use fairway shafts. 

I have a love/hate with the IZ (wood) and even more so with the IZ hybrid. I tested it a bunch of pages back vs the DI and tbh didnt like either. I ended up revisiting the DI hybrid and loved it after some recent swing changes.

I also tested the Ventus HB Blue briefly due to seeing it in so many LPGA bags in the hybrid spot. Didnt like it (nor do I like Fujikura but thats a diff story).

So back to the IZ hybrid. I took it out on the course today while also finally not having a dogsh*t swing after the Christmas break and it performed fantastic. IMO the IZ hybrid as others have said 'feels' stiffer and more linear than the DI hybrid but also the IZ and DI hybrids feel nothing (more stout) like their wood counterparts. Many have said the same in this thread over the various pages.

IMO the IZ hybrid is the quintessential "this performs great, but I wish it felt better" shaft. I really can't argue with the eye test of my ball flight, distance, and dispersion that I'm getting with the IZ hybrid right now but I really just have nothing memorable to say about the feel.

....then again I'm playing an AD GP in my 5 wood @ 41" and thats pretty much playing a hockey stick so I guess I'm not one to complain about stuff like that.

Edited by third-times-a-charm

19 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I have a love/hate with the IZ (wood) and even more so with the IZ hybrid. I tested it a bunch of pages back vs the DI and tbh didnt like either. I ended up revisiting the DI hybrid and loved it after some recent swing changes.

I also tested the Ventus HB Blue briefly due to seeing it in so many LPGA bags in the hybrid spot. Didnt like it (nor do I like Fujikura but thats a diff story).

So back to the IZ hybrid. I took it out on the course today while also finally not having a dogsh*t swing after the Christmas break and it performed fantastic. IMO the IZ hybrid as others have said 'feels' stiffer and more linear than the DI hybrid but also the IZ and DI hybrids feel nothing (more stout) like their wood counterparts. Many have said the same in this thread over the various pages.

IMO the IZ hybrid is the quintessential "this performs great, but I wish it felt better" shaft. I really can't argue with the eye test of my ball flight, distance, and dispersion that I'm getting with the IZ hybrid right now but I really just have nothing memorable to say about the feel.

....then again I'm playing an AD GP in my 5 wood @ 41" and thats pretty much playing a hockey stick so I guess I'm not one to complain about stuff like that.

Interesting that GD would name a hybrid shaft the same as the wood shaft even though the feel is completely different.

I'm playing my 5 wood @ 41.5" and it's so good. My favorite club in my bag. I don't know why more people don't play short fairway woods. Just did some testing between the IZ and the HD in the 5 wood. Both launched at 13° and peaked at 93 ft. However, I was surprised to discover that with the IZ the avg spin was 3900 and the HD was 4600. 

I also got a 9 wood to turn down to 23° to fill the gap between my 5 iron and 5 wood. I've run out of ideas for that gap so here we are lol. I thought about cutting down either the IZ or HD to play @ 40.5" but it pains me to do so because it essentially makes it unsellable lol. 

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / Miura TC-201 6-PW + PX 6.0  / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

20 minutes ago, HillbillyHoma said:

Interesting that GD would name a hybrid shaft the same as the wood shaft even though the feel is completely different.

I'm playing my 5 wood @ 41.5" and it's so good. My favorite club in my bag. I don't know why more people don't play short fairway woods. Just did some testing between the IZ and the HD in the 5 wood. Both launched at 13° and peaked at 93 ft. However, I was surprised to discover that with the IZ the avg spin was 3900 and the HD was 4600. 

I also got a 9 wood to turn down to 23° to fill the gap between my 5 iron and 5 wood. I've run out of ideas for that gap so here we are lol. I thought about cutting down either the IZ or HD to play @ 40.5" but it pains me to do so because it essentially makes it unsellable lol. 

Thats the spot I am/was testing this IZ hybrid in. I'm playing a 5h turned down 1 to 25* IIRC with the IZ 95 hyb. Above that I have a 3w and 5w combo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwheat said:

I play MMT 125TX in my irons.  XC is essentially GD's version of the white board and the Modus 120 is tip stiff and gets softer so it's not exactly a match.  X100 is tip and mid stiff and softer in the handle which would be more white boardish. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

A recent GD convert. From nothing to,

CQ 6s in Callaway TD 9*
VR 7s in Sim 2 Ti 3 Wood 13.5*

IZ 8S in Sim 2 Ti 5 Wood 18*

Such great shafts. I love the feel of them.  Have an IZ 7 on the way to battle the VR. 

CQ is a great pairing with the TD. Perfect flight and I can really go after every drive and it just wants to go straight. Was a little worried as there is a lot of flex in the shaft but it’s definitely the best driver shaft I’ve had.

Edited by grantley88
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 2:27 PM, Kwheat said:

I disagree with Phizzy... I play the Modus 120 in X and I'm in all GD's in the wood and hybrids.  Love how they match up.

Recently switched from an XC in the driver to the UB, but its neither here nor there... might switch back.  Love how the XC feels.

Can't get much closer than this...

Modus 120 Profile:

image.jpeg.32c94e4efd6d758ade2c3446adc97090.jpeg

GD XC:

image.jpeg.104f6619e0a174e12ab8b5c538e5a3cf.jpeg

Modus 120 El profile is more similar to a S300/S400 than a X100:

image.jpeg.4a98daef82e8e746718098f182736b46.jpeg

Edited by R_Swanson

Interesting @R_Swanson.  What flex are you in the driver shafts?  X like irons?  I've found, randomly, that an EI area stiffness of 18 is somewhat of a happy space for me along with a "friendly" midish bend profile. My LZ 6.5, XC 6tx driver, 7x FW seem to match well stiffness wise at least.  I tried an HD 7tx at 20 and that was way too stiff.

As far as profile goes:

If I feel it flex too low = unstable.  High/mid are fine.  Really linear = too stiff feeling and can't get the load feel I want.

7 hours ago, Kwheat said:

Interesting @R_Swanson.  What flex are you in the driver shafts?  X like irons?  I've found, randomly, that an EI area stiffness of 18 is somewhat of a happy space for me along with a "friendly" midish bend profile. My LZ 6.5, XC 6tx driver, 7x FW seem to match well stiffness wise at least.  I tried an HD 7tx at 20 and that was way too stiff.

As far as profile goes:

If I feel it flex too low = unstable.  High/mid are fine.  Really linear = too stiff feeling and can't get the load feel I want.

Yeah, I play an X UB in the driver and X DI 7's in the fairways.  The hybrid is a 105 Hybrid in X.  The XC was actually a stiff.  I bombed it, but it just felt too weak and the dispersion was tough to deal with.  I have never hit a TX in a GD, so I can't compare for you.

I think I am going to pick up a UB for the 3 wood as well - probably stay in the DI for the 5 wood as it launches it a decent amount higher than the UB for me, which I like for that club.  I have been looking for a used XC in X for a while, they never pop up, especially in 45.5, which is what I play my driver at.

I'm a little unique, I was a scratch-ish (never had a handicap back then) junior player, but haven't really played more than 3-4 times a year in 22 years until 2023.  Started taking golf more seriously again, and I am down to an 8 (although I have a ways to go).  I say all this to say, don't take the S in XC too seriously... I was just amassing GD shafts (and a couple Ventus's) as I got back into golf, and even though I should be in an X, the XC came in a driver I bought and I liked that shaft a lot, and by the time I got the UB it was  June (which here in AZ means less golf, plus I hurt my wrist).  If it helps I fluctuate between 155 and 165ish ball speed, depending on how I am swinging that day, the weather, etc.  

When I actually get fit some of this might go out the window, although I've been on tons of simulators being that I live in Phoenix and they are everywhere, so I have a decent idea of what's going on.  And feel is big for me in wood shafts (I care in irons shafts, but there's more shafts that feel ok to me), and there's just something about how a GD shaft feels, so I will be interested to see what a fitting tells me now that I am starting to swing more consistently.

I cannot STAND a shaft where I can't feel the head of the club.  So anything boardy is out for me... which usually corresponds to very linear shafts.  Shafts that are weak in the tip launch too high for me and feel weird to me as well - I dont like Ventus Red's for instance, even though I probably should on paper.

Edited by R_Swanson

3 hours ago, R_Swanson said:

I cannot STAND a shaft where I can't feel the head of the club.  So anything boardy is out for me... which usually corresponds to very linear shafts.  Shafts that are weak in the tip launch too high for me and feel weird to me as well - I dont like Ventus Red's for instance, even though I probably should on paper.

Couldn't agree more with these feels, although I did have a red ("purple") 6x that was tipped 1.75".  That was an excellent shaft imo, felt actually somewhere between a DI and XC in many ways.  

If you're looking for an XC in X, there is an eBay seller... Tour spec golf I think that puts up auctions on GD shafts about every 2 months.  I've seen 6x/7xs go twice for around 100 bucks.  Lol I wish I paid that much for my 6tx, that was around 180💩

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:29 PM, grantley88 said:

A recent GD convert. From nothing to,

CQ 6s in Callaway TD 9*
VR 7s in Sim 2 Ti 3 Wood 13.5*

IZ 8S in Sim 2 Ti 5 Wood 18*

Such great shafts. I love the feel of them.  Have an IZ 7 on the way to battle the VR. 

CQ is a great pairing with the TD. Perfect flight and I can really go after every drive and it just wants to go straight. Was a little worried as there is a lot of flex in the shaft but it’s definitely the best driver shaft I’ve had.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

And a CQ driver user! My man. I have almost the same combo in driver (Paradym tour similar to the TD head) and the CQ 6 is just a fantastic shaft for it and my swing.

• Like 1

After 4 full rounds playing the combo, I really like the IZ 7S in my G425 LS driver.  The main reason is that it has essentially taken out the left side of the course.  I had tried the usual suspects from my bucket-o-shafts (GP 6S, TP 7S, Ventus TR Red 7S, TR Blue 7S, among others) and the IZ has been the only one where I have yet to produce an uncontrolled hook.   Even when I've gone super strong right hand grip and swinging out of my shoes, the most I've seen is a baby draw.  If anything, it's taken me a while to finally start aiming down the center instead of taking my typical aimpoint of the far right sides of fairways or, worse yet, farther right over junk and assuming I'll see a draw.  I've even hit a few baby fades with the IZ which, for me, should be almost considered a slice.  Haha.

Even so, I have UB and MT 7S's coming in which I may try, but I think I'm going to save those for a new Paradym 5W which is also on the way.  Our workplace points-based recognition program finally has some enticing golf club options to order, so I figured "why not" since I'm not paying for it.  I just wish they had Cobra King Tour irons available.  LOL.

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50* / New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

On 12/28/2023 at 9:26 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

I recall not liking the IZ vs the DI in hybrid but I found one in 95g for a great price so I’ll revisit it here.

IZ is one of those shafts that I really wanted to work.  Based on feedback here and elsewhere, seemed like a good fit.  But both the driver shaft and hybrid were meh, just couldn't get the right feel for it.

XC/BB, GP and MJ are the only GD shafts that I've ever hit well.  Could easily put XC or GP back into the bag in my driver, and MJ is a fantastic fairway option for me.  

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I wonder which GD shaft resembles the NV Green (NXT) shaft. I am using 75-S for 13.5 BRNR and looking into the GD shaft. NV Green has a softer tip than the mid and butt. 

Edited by Jbar

13.5 BRNR | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | NL SPN-SS 50* | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

Okay I have some numbers from my session with all those shafts today. The 5w numbers are kind of apples to orange due to the heads being completely different but whatev.

It was FREAKING COLD today. I think it was 55 degrees when I was on the range. I could barely move. These numbers arent great not to mention as I always say this MEVO LM is off by like 10% easily.

As always it's carry - CHS - BS - launch - spin - smash - height - time

Paradym 3w w/ VR 7

Avg - 205.3 92.4 131.6 15.7 3055 1.42 89 6.2

Paradym 3w w/ UB 6

Avg - 207.3 91.4 133.3 14.8 3090 1.46 85.5 6.2

Epic Max 5w (18.5*) w/ GP 7

Avg - 196.3 90.3 127.8 16.6 3418 1.41 91.1 6.2

Rogue ST LS 5w (19.2*) w/ UB 8 

Avg - 199.4 90.8 128.6 16.4 3090 1.42 89.2 6.2

So for the 3 woods I think the clear winner is the UB 6. I dont know why the peak height was registering so low (MEVO is a POS) because it looked fine to my eye but the ball speed is much better with the UB 6 than the VR 7. The VR 7 has slightly more feel and I really wanted it to work but the UB 6 was just all around better with that 1.46 smash. Spin is okay around 3k for both. I would like it a smidge higher and I might try and chase that but for a mostly tee club I think that works. The shafts, though, were surprisingly similar in numbers probably because of the weight difference even though the UB is the 'stiffer' shaft.

The 5w test was a little more separated in spin. The GP and UB are closer in relation on the Tour AD chart than the VR and UB and it shows. Slightly lower spin due to the LS head in the UB 8 gave more carry. 3k spin is IMO too low for a 5w I want to hit greens with. The almost 500RPM difference gives the GP 7 the edge here. Peak height of 91 I think is another error as I was hitting many of the balls way high with that Max/GP setup but thats just fine with me to hold a green on a par 5.

The numbers are of the best 5 average but here's the best two shots with the 5 woods:

Epic Max/GP:

2   202.3 90.6 130.4 17.6 3449 1.44 102.1

ST LS/UB:

1   200.6 90.7 128.9 17.3 3185 1.42 95.9 6.4

The Max/GP combo still wins out on those best shots IMO. I may try the UB 8 in the max head just to be sure, but right now I dont really want to touch my 5w setup as it's working great but I'm and idiot so you know 😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Okay I have some numbers from my session with all those shafts today. The 5w numbers are kind of apples to orange due to the heads being completely different but whatev.

It was FREAKING COLD today. I think it was 55 degrees when I was on the range. I could barely move. These numbers arent great not to mention as I always say this MEVO LM is off by like 10% easily.

As always it's carry - CHS - BS - launch - spin - smash - height - time

Paradym 3w w/ VR 7

Avg - 205.3 92.4 131.6 15.7 3055 1.42 89 6.2

Paradym 3w w/ UB 6

Avg - 207.3 91.4 133.3 14.8 3090 1.46 85.5 6.2

Epic Max 5w (18.5*) w/ GP 7

Avg - 196.3 90.3 127.8 16.6 3418 1.41 91.1 6.2

Rogue ST LS 5w (19.2*) w/ UB 8 

Avg - 199.4 90.8 128.6 16.4 3090 1.42 89.2 6.2

So for the 3 woods I think the clear winner is the UB 6. I dont know why the peak height was registering so low (MEVO is a POS) because it looked fine to my eye but the ball speed is much better with the UB 6 than the VR 7. The VR 7 has slightly more feel and I really wanted it to work but the UB 6 was just all around better with that 1.46 smash. Spin is okay around 3k for both. I would like it a smidge higher and I might try and chase that but for a mostly tee club I think that works. The shafts, though, were surprisingly similar in numbers probably because of the weight difference even though the UB is the 'stiffer' shaft.

The 5w test was a little more separated in spin. The GP and UB are closer in relation on the Tour AD chart than the VR and UB and it shows. Slightly lower spin due to the LS head in the UB 8 gave more carry. 3k spin is IMO too low for a 5w I want to hit greens with. The almost 500RPM difference gives the GP 7 the edge here. Peak height of 91 I think is another error as I was hitting many of the balls way high with that Max/GP setup but thats just fine with me to hold a green on a par 5.

The numbers are of the best 5 average but here's the best two shots with the 5 woods:

Epic Max/GP:

2   202.3 90.6 130.4 17.6 3449 1.44 102.1

ST LS/UB:

1   200.6 90.7 128.9 17.3 3185 1.42 95.9 6.4

The Max/GP combo still wins out on those best shots IMO. I may try the UB 8 in the max head just to be sure, but right now I dont really want to touch my 5w setup as it's working great but I'm and idiot so you know 😂

I'd kill for a 55° day in January. 😂 It's 12° in Indiana. 

• Haha 1

Well I put the ST LS up for sale as it was too low spin, but I pulled a clown move and disassembled my 5w and put the UB 8 in there (removed GP 7) for some testing. I did like some of the feels the UB 8 gave me in a short 41" setup and it's working well in 3w. I have some flashbacks of hitting nice shots with an HD 8 a few months back but did not love the linear feel of the HD.

• Like 1

I have the Ventus Red in my FW and Hybrids. Been playing with driver shafts. Just had some time in a fitting bay 2 weeks ago.

IZ was the closest I found to what I like, but felt a little loose. Waiting on a TP to show up, on paper and reviews it could be what I'm looking for.

I currently have a Hulk Smoke small batch, but would like something with a little more feel in it.

Didn't care for Ventus Blue and the Ventus Black is very similar to what I play now.

Edited by VA_Astra

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

On 1/20/2024 at 10:44 AM, Jbar said:

I wonder which GD shaft resembles the NV Green (NXT) shaft. I am using 75-S for 13.5 BRNR and looking into the GD shaft. NV Green has a softer tip than the mid and butt. 

2 shafts come to mind:  MJ and MAD. 

MJ probably has the closest profile to NV.  Its EI profile is similar to a Tour Green, but with less of a mid-shaft bump in stiffness.   Its a different feel from XC, but MJ is one of the more stable shafts in the GD lineup.

The profile for MAD looks like GD's take on Tour Green, but it might also be worth hitting.  

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback