2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

@hagimihale Update on the MAD 65s (68 grams/non-pro) in my Epic Speed 3w with standard: tipping per GD and Cally length. This setup went straight to the 1st tee with no range time yesterday.  I have not played a 3w in 2 years due to my UW 17*.  So, I was a bit concerned how this test would go.  But, after a few extra warm up swings on the tee box I was able to get a feel for it.  Then, I went 4 for 4 on fairways today when hitting this setup. 

The ball flight was

mid high/penetrating/straight, the shaft kept up with the swings I put on it and the carry distance/run out was as expected.  You can tell this shaft is from the same family of shafts and comparable in feel to the Tour AD shafts I play regularly in fairway woods (UB/IZ/DI).  There is a subtle difference in feel for sure, but not in a bad way.  It’s not as linear as the UB/IZ and does not kick as much as the DI to me. It is a very smooth shaft overall and easy to adapt too if you are use to GD shafts. I really like this shaft for a fairway wood or even a hybrid. If you want something more linear than the MAD Pro would be a better fit. The Pro would be a better fit for me in the driver.  

This setup will not replace my UW 17* or Paradym 3HL both with IZ’s behind my driver.  I would not have any issues playing this setup up if needed though. I had this built to go into a guest bag since I removed the UB 7x out of this head for my UW 19*. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

On 12/15/2023 at 10:40 PM, hitnfades said:

I have not played the UB in a driver yet. But, the UB was great for me in my Epic Speed 3 wood as well. It was beat out by my 17* Apex UW due to the versatility for me.

The UB shaft is making a comeback this weekend. I was not happy with the DI in the 19* UW even though it performed well.  The DI just did not have the linear feel as the IZ and UB in my other 2 UW heads. So, I finally had the UB re-installed into the 19* head this week. This club now has feel I was looking for and blends better into this area of the bag for me. 

UB is an awesome shaft.  I have it on my TSR 3 10°. Very predictable. 

• Like 1

@hitnfades, how would you compare the MAD vs the XC in your driver?

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

@hagimihale For me, the MAD (non-pro) would not be the same as XC. I would think the MAD Pro would be closer to the XC per the charts/my experience. XC is more linear even with the softer butt section. The MAD reminded more of the DI since it has a kick. 

• Like 1

I take it back I hate the UB in 3 wood. Out it goes and the GP is back in. 

I do still have a UB 8 reserved for a very short 5/7 wood build and that will be my last stint with the UB if it doesnt work out.

I also have a CQ 7 on the way to go into 3 wood since I'm enjoying it in driver to see if it translates.

• Haha 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Yeah, the UB did not work for me in 3 wood either.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

On 12/14/2023 at 5:10 PM, phizzy30 said:

You really should've gone with the 6X/TX.  S at your ss won't be stable enough, IMO. 

I’m 112 average SS and usually play X or TX in GD (HD 6TX untipped, XC 7X tipped .5”, Di 6X Tipped 1”, UB 6TX usually @ 45-45.5”) … just put in the VF 6 S untipped in my tsi3 and absolutely love it since I’m around 2200-2450 spin and launch is consistent. I also play a 300 mini 13.5 with the XC 7X tipped 1” at 42” playing length. Not sure if I’ve been playing too stiff of a flex but I’m really consistent with the VF, even when I kick my speed up to 115-117. Not sure why… am I fooling myself? I start competing again next year after a couple years off from injury and want to make sure I’m not making a jump in the wrong direction. No feeling of shaft being loose although it’s easier to load. 

Edited by Scottishducati

Similar speed and looking at the video, your X/TX assumption seems about right.  Only thing to watch out for is if S plays well under pressure, esp untipped. 

I haven't hit a VF though only TP 6x, DI 6x 1" tip, HD 7tx and XC 6tx/7x so may be stable enough...? Profile wise, it sounded like it was close to a TR black. So the bend profile may outweigh the flex designation and feel considerably more stout relative to the rest of the GD line.  But if you like the feel and numbers no reason to not give it a whirl, bet some money with friends next round and see how it does.

One of my favorite fairway shafts was a KK XT 70s because it was stable but had feel, tried a 70x and it lost the feel which screwed with how much I "favored" the club.  I swung the HZRDS green shaft 2 weeks ago only in stiff and thought it was awful, basically rebar with a little flex. My uncle plays it. He is scratch, hits the ball 80 yards less than me with a beautiful high draw so he is playing well above his supposed stiffness designation on paper.

How do you like it compared to XC, basically the only other GD whiteboard offering?  HD 6tx is no slouch either, my 7tx is pretty stout relative to a lot of shafts for me

Edited by Kwheat

15 hours ago, Scottishducati said:

I’m 112 average SS and usually play X or TX in GD (HD 6TX untipped, XC 7X tipped .5”, Di 6X Tipped 1”, UB 6TX usually @ 45-45.5”) … just put in the VF 6 S untipped in my tsi3 and absolutely love it since I’m around 2200-2450 spin and launch is consistent. I also play a 300 mini 13.5 with the XC 7X tipped 1” at 42” playing length. Not sure if I’ve been playing too stiff of a flex but I’m really consistent with the VF, even when I kick my speed up to 115-117. Not sure why… am I fooling myself? I start competing again next year after a couple years off from injury and want to make sure I’m not making a jump in the wrong direction. No feeling of shaft being loose although it’s easier to load. 

Do you see yourself playing mini with the VF shaft? I was afraid to try VF if it felt too stiff with the tip.

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

52 minutes ago, Jbar said:

Do you see yourself playing mini with the VF shaft? I was afraid to try VF if it felt too stiff with the tip.

I will definitely throw it in there to test out. VF in my mini will be configured differently since I play it relatively short (42” playing length). I currently have VF 6S untipped in a TSi3 @ 45” playing length D2 swing weight No1 pro 50 grip… my guess is I’ll go VF 7S tipped 1” or possibly a 7X tipped .5”. I definitely want it to load similarly to the driver since it’s so consistent and I hit the center more without trying. My 7X XC seems to be a bit stouter in the mini tipped .5” so I will probably go VF 7S tipped 1”. 

300 mini shafts I’ve tried recently - 

Di 7X tipped 1” (a bit inconsistent for whatever reason - still was good but a bit too loose in the handle for how heavy the head is at 42”)

Diamana GT 70TX tipped 1” (consistent but super stout in the handle - different feel than the XC or VF).

XC 7X tipped .5” (current shaft and works great - obviously soft handle but is stiffer throughout so maintains consistency) 

Edited by Scottishducati
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kwheat said:

Similar speed and looking at the video, your X/TX assumption seems about right.  Only thing to watch out for is if S plays well under pressure, esp untipped. 

I haven't hit a VF though only TP 6x, DI 6x 1" tip, HD 7tx and XC 6tx/7x so may be stable enough...? Profile wise, it sounded like it was close to a TR black. So the bend profile may outweigh the flex designation and feel considerably more stout relative to the rest of the GD line.  But if you like the feel and numbers no reason to not give it a whirl, bet some money with friends next round and see how it does.

One of my favorite fairway shafts was a KK XT 70s because it was stable but had feel, tried a 70x and it lost the feel which screwed with how much I "favored" the club.  I swung the HZRDS green shaft 2 weeks ago only in stiff and thought it was awful, basically rebar with a little flex. My uncle plays it. He is scratch, hits the ball 80 yards less than me with a beautiful high draw so he is playing well above his supposed stiffness designation on paper.

How do you like it compared to XC, basically the only other GD whiteboard offering?  HD 6tx is no slouch either, my 7tx is pretty stout relative to a lot of shafts for me

This is spot on - what works under pressure is what’s important to me. I think it’s a good idea to put some pressure on it here in the winter so I’ll do that for sure. The XC is great for me with the butt section being softer so feels a bit easier to load even tipped .5”. I played this exact setup in my driver and is very consistent but a bit stout feeling tipped .5”. It’s such a unique shaft but found my strike pattern to be very consistent like the VF. I tend to stay away from shafts that are too boardy feeling since it makes me feel like I have to step on it during transition to load it (regardless of if it loads or not). The VF takes away the stout feeling but maintains the consistency so far. Strike pattern is the best I’ve had with the driver. 

I think the balance between stability and feel is very personal so it’s tough to say why something works for one person and not another. The VF is a much more linear profile than what I usually play so the S flex might end up being the answer for me. Loved the KK XT btw. 

I’ll fall back on my Di 6X tipped 1” if it seems to be inconsistent out on the course under pressure. So far I’m not even thinking about the shaft at all since it’s so easy for me to swing and hit the center of the face. Di tipped 1” is more fade bias however as I have to loft down a bit to keep the numbers and launch in the right window. 

VF is in a 9 degree TSi head in D4 setting (+.75 loft) * very noticeable lower flight and spin from the Di in the same settings 

Di in the same head is in A1 setting or D1 setting (standard loft or -.75 loft)

Edited by Scottishducati

1 hour ago, Scottishducati said:

I will definitely throw it in there to test out. VF in my mini will be configured differently since I play it relatively short (42” playing length). I currently have VF 6S untipped in a TSi3 @ 45” playing length D2 swing weight No1 pro 50 grip… my guess is I’ll go VF 7S tipped 1” or possibly a 7X tipped .5”. I definitely want it to load similarly to the driver since it’s so consistent and I hit the center more without trying. My 7X XC seems to be a bit stouter in the mini tipped .5” so I will probably go VF 7S tipped 1”. 

300 mini shafts I’ve tried recently - 

Di 7X tipped 1” (a bit inconsistent for whatever reason - still was good but a bit too loose in the handle for how heavy the head is at 42”)

Diamana GT 70TX tipped 1” (consistent but super stout in the handle - different feel than the XC or VF).

XC 7X tipped .5” (current shaft and works great - obviously soft handle but is stiffer throughout so maintains consistency) 

Did you have to add a bunch of lead tape to the head to get sw back up because of the short playing length?

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / MP 223 6-PW + $ -TPR 120 / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

Curious on folks' recommendations - play an IZ-6S in my driver (102mph CHS), have both VR6 S and VR7 S in 3 wood (though 7 is currently in the bag), and VR8 in my 19 * UW.  I had an IZ-7 in the 19* UW, and hated the club, but love it with the VR 8, which is probably more about weight than shaft itself. 

Looking for a shaft for a 23* UW I picked up. I've been looking for a VR8 S to match the 19*, but haven't even seen one sold let alone one for sale. I'm replacing a 23* Nickent 4DX that has an Aldila VS ProtobyYou 80S in it - I loved that club, but it's just past it's prime per Trackman...compared to newer heads.

What else should I be looking at for the 23* UW? Does the Aldila have any Graphite Design comps?

Edited by ndoyle

2 hours ago, HillbillyHoma said:

Did you have to add a bunch of lead tape to the head to get sw back up because of the short playing length?

I added a 12g back weight to the 300 (when I bought the head from classifieds it came with a bunch of weights for it - Just my style 😂). I think it came stock with a 6g weight? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

13.5 Taylormade 300 mini dark version 42.25” playing length XC 7X tipped .5”, D2 SW, +-1.5 adapter STD loft setting  - 12g back weight, no hot melt, 50g No1 pro grip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ndoyle said:

Curious on folks' recommendations - play an IZ-6S in my driver (102mph CHS), have both VR6 S and VR7 S in 3 wood (though 7 is currently in the bag), and VR8 in my 19 * UW.  I had an IZ-7 in the 19* UW, and hated the club, but love it with the VR 8, which is probably more about weight than shaft itself. 

Looking for a shaft for a 23* UW I picked up. I've been looking for a VR8 S to match the 19*, but haven't even seen one sold let alone one for sale. I'm replacing a 23* Nickent 4DX that has an Aldila VS ProtobyYou 80S in it - I loved that club, but it's just past it's prime per Trackman...compared to newer heads.

What else should I be looking at for the 23* UW? Does the Aldila have any Graphite Design comps?

Recently put a Diamana Thump f85 in a 21 degree 7 wood and it has been very good.  It replaced a Tour AD DI TP 8S.  

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, ndoyle said:

I've been looking for a VR8 S to match the 19*, but haven't even seen one sold let alone one for sale. 

There are VR 8s options out there new and used per a quick Google search and the Bay has some options. Tour Spec Golf has a new 8s for a great price if used is not an option. 

Good morning all!  My name is CC and I’m a Graphite Design’oholic that is seeking the opinion of this collective caucus of knowledgeable testing addicts.

I should clarify that while I love GD shafts, I haven’t experimented with many.  When I find what works, I tend to stick with it.  I’ve not seen any shaft change my launch and spin, more so it changes my ability to find the center of the face consistently - the rest is on me.  I know I don’t like boardy shafts, so I tend to gravitate towards smoother feeling shafts - hence GD. 

When the DI first became big, I played the BB for years.  I then got fitted into the TP.  As I’ve gotten older (and slower), I stumbled upon the IZ and it has been perfect for me in every driver since for the last several years.  I love the feel and the IZ just seems to sync with my swing.

I’ve been playing the IZ in my G430 max all year and the TSi2 for several years before that all to great results.  My wife surprised me this Christmas with a sweet MyStealth2 so I’m trying to decide if I get another IZ or dabble with other GD I haven’t tried?  In reviewing the GD info, it seems the HD isn’t far off from the IZ and the colorway matches my stealth perfectly…. 😬

Ultimately,  I’m seeking feedback comparing IZ to HD from someone who has gamed both as I try to decide if I take a leap of faith on an HD or find another IZ…

Appreciate the time and info, this is a great thread!

IMG_3577.jpeg.fab59a0416caa98fe045c83c3ccff476.jpeg

IMG_3578.jpeg.41c9a382444358c8f39058d3a83331c6.jpeg

IMG_3579.jpeg

Edited by CC Stryder
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

Good morning all!  My name is CC and I’m a Graphite Design’oholic that is seeking the opinion of this collective caucus of knowledgeable testing addicts.

I should clarify that while I love GD shafts, I haven’t experimented with many.  When I find what works, I tend to stick with it.  I’ve not seen any shaft change my launch and spin, more so it changes my ability to find the center of the face consistently - the rest is on me.  I know I don’t like boardy shafts, so I tend to gravitate towards smoother feeling shafts - hence GD. 

When the DI first became big, I played the BB for years.  I then got fitted into the TP.  As I’ve gotten older (and slower), I stumbled upon the IZ and it has been perfect for me in every driver since for the last several years.  I love the feel and the IZ just seems to sync with my swing.

I’ve been playing the IZ in my G430 max all year and the TSi2 for several years before that all to great results.  My wife surprised me this Christmas with a sweet MyStealth2 so I’m trying to decide if I get another IZ or dabble with other GD I haven’t tried?  In reviewing the GD info, it seems the HD isn’t far off from the IZ and the colorway matches my stealth perfectly…. 😬

Ultimately,  I’m seeking feedback comparing IZ to HD from someone who has gamed both as I try to decide if I take a leap of faith on an HD or find another IZ…

IMG_3579.jpeg

I'd say that EI profile wise the IZ and HD are sorta similar in that both are more linear.  HD however launched lower and spun a little less for me.  HD is smoooooth whereas the IZ lacked a bit of feel to it but that's probably due to the updated/different materials used in the HD.  IZ and HD both have a hint of kick to it as well. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I'd say that EI profile wise the IZ and HD are sorta similar in that both are more linear.  HD however launched lower and spun a little less for me.  HD is smoooooth whereas the IZ lacked a bit of feel to it but that's probably due to the updated/different materials used in the HD.  IZ and HD both have a hint of kick to it as well. 

Thanks Phiz - this just makes me think I’d love the HD because i love how the IZ feels!

16 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

I did something similar last month, but with the XC. I played the IZ in 3 different Callaway heads over the past 2 years. Plus, I have the IZ in my Paradym 3HL and Apex UW 17*. The IZ shaft has been great for me and did not think I would make a change. But, I found a Paradym with an XC on CPO last month. I decided to give it a go after reading some reviews, profile charts, and member feedback.

Sadly now, my 2 remaining IZ’s driver shafts are back in their shipping tubes on the Island of Misfit Shafts in my golf storage area. That reference just seems to fit the season. I will bring them back out at some point, but the change to the XC was exceptionally good in my Paradym and Epic Max LS for me.  So, good I traded my builder IZ #3 for another XC.  The XC is very smooth, more linear/less kick than the IZ and has a very penetrating ball flight compared to the IZ for me.  I replied and mentioned this since the HD came up in a lot of reviews when I was comparing the XC/IZ, the GD smooth feel you mentioned/non-boardy feel you prefer (same for me) and from the other GD shafts you noted. 

Good luck and what a nice gift!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hitnfades said:

I did something similar last month, but with the XC. I played the IZ in 3 different Callaway heads over the past 2 years. Plus, I have the IZ in my Paradym 3HL and Apex UW 17*. The IZ shaft has been great for me and did not think I would make a change. But, I found a Paradym with an XC on CPO last month. I decided to give it a go after reading some reviews, profile charts, and member feedback.

Sadly now, my 2 remaining IZ’s driver shafts are back in their shipping tubes on the Island of Misfit Shafts in my golf storage area. That reference just seems to fit the season. I will bring them back out at some point, but the change to the XC was exceptionally good in my Paradym and Epic Max LS for me.  So, good I traded my builder IZ #3 for another XC.  The XC is very smooth, more linear/less kick than the IZ and has a very penetrating ball flight compared to the IZ for me.  I replied and mentioned this since the HD came up in a lot of reviews when I was comparing the XC/IZ, the GD smooth feel you mentioned/non-boardy feel you prefer (same for me) and from the other GD shafts you noted. 

Good luck and what a nice gift!!

Wow, that says a lot about the XC!  That’s another one I haven’t tried, but probably should given my love for the BB… 

I dabbled with Ventus like everyone else.  I liked the OG blue and the TR red, but that’s it.  I have yet to find a GD shaft i haven’t enjoyed some aspect of.  And with that, I found a great deal on an HD and snatched it up yesterday, so we’ll see!

And if it doesn’t work out, at least the color scheme will look 🔥 for selling on the boards here at some point.  😝 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CC Stryder said:

Wow, that says a lot about the XC!  That’s another one I haven’t tried, but probably should given my love for the BB… 

I dabbled with Ventus like everyone else.  I liked the OG blue and the TR red, but that’s it.  I have yet to find a GD shaft i haven’t enjoyed some aspect of.  And with that, I found a great deal on an HD and snatched it up yesterday, so we’ll see!

And if it doesn’t work out, at least the color scheme will look 🔥 for selling on the boards here at some point.  😝 

If you liked the BB and TP, you will like the HD. Surprisingly, a little lower launch than TP for my swing with a little more kick. Good luck. 

• Like 2

TSi3 Ventus Black 6TX

TSi2  Ventus Black 7X

3 T100s Tour AD DI 95X

4-GW T100s PX LZ 6.0

MG3 52, 56, 60 

PXG 0311 53, 58

PXG Blackjack/Scotty phantom 11

On 12/21/2023 at 10:36 AM, jt2gt said:

Anyone have a VR 5s w/ping tip they might want to move.  Having a hard time finding one. Moved back to tour ad from Ventus.  Liking the IZ in my 3/4 wood lately.  But want to try VR in the driver again...one of my fav setups was a G400 max with a VR.  

Couldn’t agree more with your combo…I’m playing a G400 with a VR5 R1 and love the setup. I’m searching to replace the Diamana in my Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood.

• Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW Modus 105 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

Anyone know what GD shaft would be closest to the Aldila Riptide CB in feel?

Driver- Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond 8*/Graphite Design Tour AD HD 6S

Fairways- PXG 0311 Gen5 3&5/Aldila Riptide CB 6.0

Irons- Taylormade P7MC 4-PW/True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges- Cleveland RTX6 Tour Raw 52/56/60/True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter- Odyssey AI One Milled 1T

On 12/22/2023 at 4:47 AM, CC Stryder said:

IMG_3579.jpeg

I was able to try out both the HD and IZ in my driver fitting. For some reason, I was hitting the IZ incredibly well throughout all types of heads. I was finding the middle and getting smash factors at 1.5 with that shaft. With the HD, I was struggling to get it in the middle and was hitting a lot of low/low heel shots. 

I ended up with the IZ for my driver. Now that I have the shaft, i’ve struggled to replicate that day. I’ve had some good days, and some bad ones and I blame that on my swing and not the equipment.

I think that one can try to make an educated guess (doing research online) on what shaft to start with, but the best way to know will to be test it out long term.  

I wanted to try out a GD shaft for my 3HL and from all of my reading (website and this post), I tried out the HD and it’s been pretty good so far. I posted earlier in this thread that experience. 

I didn’t hit it very well with the HD over the IZ with my driver, but my 3HL off the turf and off the tee has been pretty good for me. I’m pretty sure your experience will be different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jamesgang91 said:

Anyone know what GD shaft would be closest to the Aldila Riptide CB in feel?

CQ would be my first option.  EI profile is very similar.  Weights are also close at the same stiffness.  I think Evenflow CB is a bit more counterbalanced, and the torque values on CQ seem a bit lower.  CQ would probably feel a little tighter than Riptide CB.  

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

On 12/19/2023 at 4:40 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

I take it back I hate the UB in 3 wood. Out it goes and the GP is back in. 

I do still have a UB 8 reserved for a very short 5/7 wood build and that will be my last stint with the UB if it doesnt work out.

I also have a CQ 7 on the way to go into 3 wood since I'm enjoying it in driver to see if it translates.

What’s the CQ feel like? I’ve been wondering if maybe it’s close to something like the Fujikura Speeder NX Blue? What’s its nearest Graphite Design neighbor?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Just now, eric61 said:

What’s the CQ feel like? I’ve been wondering if maybe it’s close to something like the Fujikura Speeder NX Blue? What’s its nearest Graphite Design neighbor?

It's very lively and has a pronounced kick with the signature GD smoothness is the best way to describe it. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2