2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about putting my HD 8s in my UW and taking out my Oban Kiyoshi White 75s. Probably a dumb idea because my UW is my favorite club in my bag right now. I play the UW at 40" (1" short). I want the UW to be spinny to fit my 5i - 5w gap better. Do I tip the HD 1" or 1.5"? Just not sure how it will react being tipped 1" at 40" playing length. 

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / MP 223 6-PW + $ -TPR 120 / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

4 hours ago, HillbillyHoma said:

Thinking about putting my HD 8s in my UW and taking out my Oban Kiyoshi White 75s. Probably a dumb idea because my UW is my favorite club in my bag right now. I play the UW at 40" (1" short). I want the UW to be spinny to fit my 5i - 5w gap better. Do I tip the HD 1" or 1.5"? Just not sure how it will react being tipped 1" at 40" playing length. 

I actually just had a UB 8 in a UW experiment head. Didn’t last but I had it tipped 1” @ 41” fwiw 

I like fwy woods better so went back to that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Any info on the VR shaft, especially in a fairway wood? 

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

14 minutes ago, scottleo said:

I recently grabbed a VR 7s from CPO to try out in my Mav SZ 4 wood (one of the tour certified adjustable heads). So far, though I am in my offseason (but am able to get out on a course from time to time), it seems quite nice. I was coming from a Smoke Black 70 that worked quite well for over a year in that head.

Of course, the VR has better feel, and seems to have a good penetrating flight, and solid dispersion. I have high hopes for this combo, and I would endorse the VR as a FW shaft if you like that general profile.

On that point, I wanted to say that this thread has been a real joy to read. And going off some of the input in this thread, I purchased a used IZ 6s for my Ping heads (G430 Max and G430 LST). The IZ 6s seems to be terrific for me, and works exceptionally well in both heads. The VR seems to be similar in profile to the IZ, so no surprise that the VR seems to work for me as well in my FW. I now have a VR 6s on the way to test out with the Ping drivers (for science...).

And to add, I also gave the UB 6s a go, and that did not seem to mesh with my swing or the Ping heads. I gathered from this thread that the UB is polarizing, and I can see why. Nice shaft, but I could just not get it dialed in like the IZ. I will be sticking with the GD profile that seems to work for me (IZ and VR), which seems to also encompass the HD, TP and DI to varying degrees. YMMV.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

9 minutes ago, scottleo said:

I have tried it several times and it hasnt worked for me personally.

Since I never learn my lesson - I am again testing one right now (VR7) in a 5 wood spot vs my UB 8.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

my run with the UB is over. i'll be posting it to bst soon. i just couldn't get it stable enough when i stepped on it enough to keep trust in it. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I have like five different 3 wood shafts and nothing can beat the DI 8… I’ve had it in there for over a year and of course I’m trying to neurotically find a reason to kick it. it’s crazy this is from 2010 and is still arguably the best fairway shaft on the market. Like you can’t name one other relevant graphite shaft from that era.

Edited by mattman
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* - Speeder Evo VI 661 X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX

TM M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Glide PF 50*, Epon Tour M 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Ping Anser 2

I threw a XC 8x tipped 1.5" into my 19* UW and it is incredible. So smooth and launches in a perfect medium/medium window. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3  | GD Tour AD XC 6X

Titleist 915F 15° | Fuji Ventus TR Blue 7X

Callaway UW 19° | GD Tour AD XC 8X

Taylormade P7TW 4-PW | PX Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 (50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M) | DG S200

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Classics

Ball | Chrome Soft X LS

12 hours ago, mattman said:

I have like five different 3 wood shafts and nothing can beat the DI 8… I’ve had it in there for over a year and of course I’m trying to neurotically find a reason to kick it. it’s crazy this is from 2010 and is still arguably the best fairway shaft on the market. Like you can’t name one other relevant graphite shaft from that era.

Diamana. 😉

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

5 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

Diamana. 😉

I mean they have had to put out successive editions to keep up and remain in bags since then. No shade to Diamana, great line of shafts. But the DI is in its original form 14 years on! GD has tried to update the DI a number of times (most recently the UB) but it keeps on trucking, I’m sure it’s still their top seller year after year.

Edited by mattman

Titleist TSR2 10* - Speeder Evo VI 661 X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX

TM M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Glide PF 50*, Epon Tour M 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Ping Anser 2

I picked up a used VR-6 S driver shaft for my G430 heads (9* Max and 10.5* LST), and it seems like it will be a great complement to the IZ. Only some simulator time thus far, but true to their specs, they seem to be similar shafts but with some differences in characteristics to make it worthwhile to demo and keep both.

Both great feel, some kick but not too much, lowish spin, and mid-high launch. Swing-weight similar as well, so I don't need to keep swapping the back weight like I do with some other shafts (playing the LST at D3-D4, and the Max at D3). Weather seems to be warming up in NJ, so hopefully getting these out on the course soon. 

Edited by jeffrey r

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

I picked up a used VR-6 S driver shaft for my G430 heads (9* Max and 10.5* LST), and it seems like it will be a great complement to the IZ. Only some simulator time thus far, but true to their specs, they seem to be similar shafts but with some differences in characteristics to make it worthwhile to demo and keep both.

Both great feel, some kick but not too much, lowish spin, and mid-high launch. Swing-weight similar as well, so I don't need to keep swapping the back weight like I do with some other shafts (playing the LST at D3-D4, and the Max at D3). Weather seems to be warming up in NJ, so hopefully getting these out on the course soon. 

where are you in northern NJ? morris county here...

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

10 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

where are you in northern NJ? morris county here...

Essex County--let's hope the snow is gone for good and we'll be back on the courses soon!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, infinii said:

Does GD do cheapo OEM shafts? What does this TM sticker mean (on a UB)?

Screenshot_11.png

No, thats a real shaft. It's just a sticker signifying it's genuine. Theres lots of counterfeit stuff overseas.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Busted a ventus blue 7x (tipped 1.5 inches) in my driver.  Third Fuji shaft ive broken in a year so looking to GD.  Just bought a UB 7TX on a whim as I saw some comparisons to ventus blue for the UB, and figured 7TX would be right since I had my ventus heavily tipped.  Am I on the right track? 

I am about 125 SS but usually need a little launch as I dont deliver a lot of loft, is a tipped HD my next experiment if the UB doesnt work out? 

Appreciate the help guys. 

WITB
Driver: G425LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue 7x
4 wood: Tis2 16.5* - Kai'li Blue 80TX 42"
Driving Iron: New Level Utility Iron 21* - Ventus Blue HB 9x
Irons: Srixon Z Forged II 4-p - DG x100
Wedges: 

Miura Y Grind - 50* - DG s400

Mizuno T22 Raw 56,60 - DG s400
Putter: TP Mills Ming 35"

10 hours ago, AMorgan8818 said:

Busted a ventus blue 7x (tipped 1.5 inches) in my driver.  Third Fuji shaft ive broken in a year so looking to GD.  Just bought a UB 7TX on a whim as I saw some comparisons to ventus blue for the UB, and figured 7TX would be right since I had my ventus heavily tipped.  Am I on the right track? 

I am about 125 SS but usually need a little launch as I dont deliver a lot of loft, is a tipped HD my next experiment if the UB doesnt work out? 

Ventus Blue is softer overall in feel compared to the UB, IMO.  Blue kicks more, launches a touch higher and spins more for me.  UB is more mid/low and feels very linear despite the EI profile.  I had the UB-7TX as well and loved the feel but couldn't square the face to save my life.  Had the HD-6TX in driver as well and launch is same as UB but spun less.  It wanted to go left more as well compared to the UB.  Currently have the VF-7TX and it launches just a touch lower than the UB/HD but much more stable while still feeling ultra smooth much like the UB/HD and I highly recommend it if the UB/HD don't work for you.  VF isn't a true low/low shaft IMO, but more mid-low/low.     

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Anyone have DJ vs MJ comparisons?

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Maybe someone can help me out with all the Graphite Design Experts.

I play Project X LZ 6.5 in my Irons. Mainly for weight and the softer mid section. The Shaft doesn't feel like X Flex at all. 

Played the normal Project X Rifle 6.0 and 5.5 for the last 5 years. (5.5 was better for my elbows).

I find the 5.5 stiffer than the LZ in 6.5 (but that is very personal feeling for me)

I had a short testing with Graphite Design AD IZ 7 stiff in a Titleist TSR 2 Fairway Wood 15 degree. It was the beset feeling Shaft I ever had. But I couldn't get the face square at impact. Not by much, but producing little baby cuts, that fades away in the last part of the bullfight. I normally play a slight draw.

I hate blue profile ala Tensei or Diamana and normal play Tensei white in all Woods, Fairway, Hybrid and Driving irons. No problem in squaring the face.

The stiffer the tip, or sometimes the heavier the Shaft, the better I´m with squaring the face. Every shaft that is too soft or too light produces push fades.

What would be a good way to start with Graphite Design? I love the heavy weight and the feel of the load in the Project X LZ iron shafts and would love to get the same feel in Driving Iron, Hybrid and so on.

Would it makes sense to go up in Flex or weight?

Thanks for your help?

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

I too tend to draw the ball and the Tour AD DI is a very fade biased shaft in my experience.  The DI 7S has been great for me in my 4 wood to counteract a hook when I swing hard.  But the DI did not work for me in Driver.  I just didn’t like to see the ball going left to right. The Tour AD VR 6S was better for me in Driver.

I have recently moved on to the Diamana ZF 60S in my driver with great results and the Tour AD VR 6 S is now being used by a good friend of mine that was also struggling with the right miss using the Tour AD DI 6S.  He is having much better results with the VR, gaining a little launch, more carry distance and less side spin.

20 minutes ago, SvenS3 said:

I play Project X LZ 6.5 in my Irons. Mainly for weight and the softer mid section. The Shaft doesn't feel like X Flex at all. 

Played the normal Project X Rifle 6.0 and 5.5 for the last 5 years. (5.5 was better for my elbows).

I find the 5.5 stiffer than the LZ in 6.5 (but that is very personal feeling for me)

I had a short testing with Graphite Design AD IZ 7 stiff in a Titleist TSR 2 Fairway Wood 15 degree. It was the beset feeling Shaft I ever had. But I couldn't get the face square at impact. Not by much, but producing little baby cuts, that fades away in the last part of the bullfight. I normally play a slight draw.

I hate blue profile ala Tensei or Diamana and normal play Tensei white in all Woods, Fairway, Hybrid and Driving irons. No problem in squaring the face.

The stiffer the tip, or sometimes the heavier the Shaft, the better I´m with squaring the face. Every shaft that is too soft or too light produces push fades.

What would be a good way to start with Graphite Design? I love the heavy weight and the feel of the load in the Project X LZ iron shafts and would love to get the same feel in Driving Iron, Hybrid and so on.

Thanks for your help?

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

Just now, SvenS3 said:

Thanks for your help?

PX LZ kicks like a mule with a soft mid and is mid-high launch.  Something like the TP/DI/VR would be good choices, IMO, as all three are mid to mid-high launch and do have that kick/load.  IZ is good in that it's mid-high launch however is very linear and doesn't have much kick which is why you may have had a hard time squaring the face or it could be that you need the heavier option.  Tough to know unless you test the IZ-8S. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Thanks for your help. Very appreciate it. 

As I said, I tend to have problems with soft or light shafts. heavy and stiff shafts are absolutely no problem to square the face.

Thats why I hate Tensei blue, Diamana blue or ventus blue. Was always in the white profiles the last years of playing.

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

Havent posted any testing in a few pages and my home course has been closed for some event so havent had time to tinker. Finally got back out this week.

The IZ 95 is back in my 5/4h spot after a short stint back with the DI 85. The IZ is just more stable and provides a lower flight which i want in that spot. DI was sold off.

I built a new 5w with a tour 5w head I found and my UB 8. Giving the UB 8 one more chance but its looking like it might stay in there. Hit a sweet second shot on 18 yesterday after playing an impromtu post-API round with a friend - after a bad drive - and got to the green in two. I have the trusty GP 7 as a backup but the UB 8 is good for now.

I've been cycling through 3 woods like a madman but finally found one I like in the TSR2+. Got one for a steal off of CPO with a DI 7 in it. I was using the DI 7 in my 3w spot with success a few months ago but took it out because you know I'm an idiot. First tee shot with it was a beaut baby fade on hole 5. I built up the same spec AD CQ 6 for the TSR2+ but it didnt do as well as the DI 7. The DI is for sure more fade biased than the CQ but that's obvious given the specs. The CQ just wanted to pull left. The UB 6 I had in my paradym 3 wood experiment was awesome but also started to go left on me.

The Tour AD CQ has stayed in driver even with a head change. I'm going to keep the new Srixon ZX5 LS and use my AD CQ tipped .5" @ 44.75". This combo is amazing and I've had some of my longest drives in a long time. The ZX5 LS is a fantastic head, too - in performance. Sound/feel is blah but it's performing really well.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2024 at 9:01 AM, AMorgan8818 said:

i am a long time Diamana blue guy and feel like this is a similar transition. 

If you are a fan of the blue profile I actually really enjoy the GP part which is now a legacy/retired shaft but can be found on eBay/some retailers new. The profile is softer in the mid, but gets extremely stiff in the tip, promoting a flatter flight. 

Even though GP is very stout on paper, dynamically it feels a hair softer to me than UB in 3w (same 8TX). On trackman, they both fly in a similar window but I get a bit more spin with UB, which lets me go down in loft a little. 

FYI: I play UB 9x in a 20 deg. 5 wood at the moment but may switch into HD 9x. 

Edited by goje22
Spelling

Longtime listener, first time caller (to this thread). 

Looking for some fairway wood advice. Currently gaming a PXG Gen6 15 degrees with a Ventus Blue 7S. It's a bit leaky and hard work off the deck, but when swinging well goes really well. Did a little bit of testing today, and we adjusted the face to 15.75 degrees which definitely helped. But essentially I would like a shaft that is just a bit softer in the tip, feels like hard work.

Got to hit some Di7 S in a Callaway head and that felt good and numbers were good, but maybe a touch too loose. 

What would be your recommendation in the GD Range, or is it the Di7 maybe tipped an extra half inch?

Also hit a g430 Max and LST three wood. The Max was consistently the fastest fairway wood I hit out of all of them. 

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

4 minutes ago, Honman said:

Longtime listener, first time caller (to this thread). 

Looking for some fairway wood advice. Currently gaming a PXG Gen6 15 degrees with a Ventus Blue 7S. It's a bit leaky and hard work off the deck, but when swinging well goes really well. Did a little bit of testing today, and we adjusted the face to 15.75 degrees which definitely helped. But essentially I would like a shaft that is just a bit softer in the tip, feels like hard work.

Got to hit some Di7 S in a Callaway head and that felt good and numbers were good, but maybe a touch too loose. 

What would be your recommendation in the GD Range, or is it the Di7 maybe tipped an extra half inch?

Also hit a g430 Max and LST three wood. The Max was consistently the fastest fairway wood I hit out of all of them. 

You could try an IZ-7.  Another one to check out is the BB - that's a great FW shaft and a little tighter than the DI.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

2 minutes ago, dwboston said:

You could try an IZ-7.  Another one to check out is the BB - that's a great FW shaft and a little tighter than the DI.  

Loved the feel of BB back in the day. Not sure there are many out there, it never took off in the same way as DI. 

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

5 minutes ago, Honman said:

Loved the feel of BB back in the day. Not sure there are many out there, it never took off in the same way as DI. 

There's almost 100 BB-7 shafts listed on eBay right now.  There's plenty of them out there.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g