2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

18 hours ago, silverstang98 said:

Same thing for me.  Love them but compared to my T100S losing about 1 club even though I got the I230s in the same lofts.  I did come from modus 120S to KBS Tour 120S.  Ping did not offer the Modus.  Not sure if I should give them up or try a different shaft….

interesting. I’m roughly the same, if not longer with the 230 over the 100s I played last year. Standard loft too. 

plus if I was losing 5-7 yards with the 230, I’d gladly take that and adjust. The accuracy with them is way better than the 100s for me. Very consistent too

Edited by xGameOver
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ktyler2 said:

FWIW I haven’t seen any distance issues with these irons and I’m in the standard lofts. But I also don’t play irons for how far they go so I’ll never understand that concern. I just want them to gap well and I’ll bend whatever iron I need to a degree or two to get them there.

Agree here!! I don't quite understand why everyone is losing distance. I gained distance with the i230 using standard lofts. Maybe y'all need a fitting to stop using noodles as shafts. No reason to lose all that distance. 

6 minutes ago, realmfg said:

Lol, what a hardo statement. I guess the Ping pros who passed on them and the ones who put them in the bag and switched out need stiffer shafts too....

It's not at all a "hardo" statement lol I didn't at all claim I hit it like a pro. But there shouldn't be any reason you are losing 15 yards with the same lofted club in the same size category unless the SHAFT is too soft.  And what does them passing on them have to do with needing stiffer shafts? Lol. 

Edited by toastinato
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, toastinato said:

It's not at all a "hardo" statement lol I didn't at all claim I hit it like a pro. But there shouldn't be any reason you are losing 15 yards with the same lofted club in the same size category unless the SHAFT is too soft.  And what does them passing on them have to do with needing stiffer shafts? Lol. 

Who is claiming a 15 yard loss of distance? A stiffer shaft doesn't mean distance gains.  Accuracy can be a factor, but if you can time any flex right, I dont see loss in distance.

Edited by realmfg

5 minutes ago, realmfg said:

Who is claiming a 15 yard loss of distance? A stiffer shaft doesn't mean distance gains.  Accuracy can be a factor, but if you can time any flex right, I dont see loss in distance.

Page 73 and 75 both have someone claiming 10-15 yards. Pros not choosing an iron have nothing to do with because they need a stiffer shaft. You can always change shafts and loft to fit what you need. I am not saying certain irons don't spin more or take off some distance. And I disagree with the last statement. A softer lighter shaft is going to create more spin which means higher and loss of distance. All I was saying is I see a lot of people on here saying "I'm losing 10-15 yards and I'm using modus 120S".. all I'm saying is maybe try stiffer to eliminate some spin. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wobgon said:

No horse in this race, but I would guess that more players lose distance due to overly stiff shafts than shafts that are too soft.

To add to this statement. When someone is saying they are losing distance because of too much height and spin, it is NOT because a shaft is too heavy or stiff. That would do the opposite. 

@realmfgim not quite sure where you are getting your information. Go to any reputable fitter and they will agree that if you are spinning it too much and hitting it too high, they will put you in a STIFFER shaft. If you are hitting it too low with no spin and losing distance, they are going to put you in a LIGHTER shaft. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, toastinato said:

@realmfgim not quite sure where you are getting your information. Go to any reputable fitter and they will agree that if you are spinning it too much and hitting it too high, they will put you in a STIFFER shaft. If you are hitting it too low with no spin and losing distance, they are going to put you in a LIGHTER shaft. 

13 minutes ago, wobgon said:

No horse in this race, but I would guess that more players lose distance due to overly stiff shafts than shafts that are too soft.

Edited by realmfg

@wobgon @realmfgcan you sir please tell this misinformed fellar that my above statement "too spinny and high equals too soft and no spin and low means too stiff". Both can cause loss of distance. This is all my point is because of others claiming this. NOT me just telling them it's too soft for fun. 

Edited by toastinato

5 minutes ago, toastinato said:

@wobgon @realmfgcan you sir please tell this misinformed fellar that my above statement "too spinny and high equals too soft and no spin and low means too stiff". Both can cause loss of distance. This is all my point is because of others claiming this. NOT me just telling them it's too soft for fun. 

You are trying to fit people by their posts of loss of distance, when you have never see them swing or know the numbers.  You just made a statement that anyone claiming short distance on i230s is playing noodles.  If that was the case, all stock clubs on the shelves would be X, but all you see anymore is light weight regular and stiff.

Edited by realmfg

5 minutes ago, realmfg said:

You are trying to fit people by their posts of loss of distance, when you have never see them swing or know the numbers.  You just made a statement that anyone claiming short distance on i230s is playing noodles.  If that was the case, all stock clubs on the shelves would be X, but all you see anymore is light weight regular and stiff.

I'm not trying to argue or be an a** lol but I'm stating noodle shaft because of people claiming "too spinny and high and loss of distance." Not just loss of distance. Yes you are correct, I may be generalizing those specific people, yes. But it is just factual. This isn't my opinion. I have been a fitter for 8 years. I've never in my life had someone come in and hit a ball spinny and high, and fit them into something lighter and softer. And vice versa, I've never had someone come in that can't launch it, too low of spin, and losing yardage and fit them into a stiffer and heavier shaft. Just my own experience and .02 cent. My apologies if I came off the wrong way. 

• Thanks 1

In my fitting I was not losing distance either with the 7 iron; my set is the jpx 921 tour and they were flying about two yards further but with more height. You never know until you get on the course so I guess we will see. Unfortunately with the weather up here that will be at least a month and a half away. 

1 hour ago, wobgon said:

Look at 5:22 mark. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-PW PX 6.0

SM10 50-12º F PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

PING Ketsch

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

2 minutes ago, wobgon said:

So is this supposed to mean that the stiffer the shaft, the farther the ball goes?

I don’t know 

I know Karsten was an engineer and had some knowledge and the ZZ LITE shafts were light, very stiff and fit tour pros to weekend hacks

• Like 2

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-PW PX 6.0

SM10 50-12º F PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

PING Ketsch

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

22 hours ago, ktyler2 said:

FWIW I haven’t seen any distance issues with these irons and I’m in the standard lofts. But I also don’t play irons for how far they go so I’ll never understand that concern. I just want them to gap well and I’ll bend whatever iron I need to a degree or two to get them there.

That was my issue though--I lost distance and it killed my gapping at the top and bottom of my bag. I all of a sudden had a 25 yard gap at the top and had an i230 PW going the same distance as my T100-S GW. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not a distance guy. And these were actually my third set of them with different shafts (Steelfiber 95 S, Modus 105 S, PX IO 6.0) , but I saw the exact same issues with all three--absolutely perfect in every way except having to retool my bag at the top and bottom.

I'm in no way heaping anything bad on these. I wanted to love them. And I'd imagine I could've just played 4-PW and played them as I do my 5-GW T100-S, but after seeing the same thing with a third set of shafts, I'm positive it's something with me and they just don't jive well with me. Can't explain it, but just wanted to throw something out there to the people that are seeing contrary to the majority.

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S, 45.5"

Titleist TSR2 16.5° & 21°/ Project X HZRDUS 4G Black 6.0 70g

Titleist T150 5i / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Titleist T100-S 6-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 52.08 F, 56.10 S, 60.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

PXG Mini Gunboat / BGT Stability Tour Black LE / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red

Wow this escalated quickly lol.  I did notice (with same lz 6.0 shaft in all 3) that the i230 were going 10-15 yards shorter than 923 forged and zx5/7 in a fitting - most likely due to the stronger lofts however.  Ordered i230 (in power spec) regardless as the beautiful towering ball flight and consistent dispersion won out.  Should have them in the next 10 days…hoping the Oban shafts don’t delay the build.

9 hours ago, wobgon said:

So is this supposed to mean that the stiffer the shaft, the farther the ball goes?

This is all my point was lol it's physics. The goal with a driver is to create the highest smash factor with consistency. If you took 2 shots, one with a light soft shaft and a heavy and stiff(not overly stiff, fitted properly) the smash factor will be higher with the stiff and heavy shaft. There is more force created with the heavier and stiffer. As I said, not overly stiff. I'm not saying give a 95 year old a ventus black 8tx in his driver. There is a limit of course. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, PINGRebel said:

It’ll be a hard push to get the 210’s out of my bag since they are the best since the 55’s….maybe time for the jump this fall

Only time will tell.  Multiple sets of S55s still out on tour with some being recent changes.  I have a tuned set of 210s that aren't going anywhere for a while. 

I moved on from 230s. Can't say it was any one thing but the clubs just did not work for me. I played 210s forever and these were just so different in my hands. Turf interaction was off, forgiveness was not there, they were shorter and spinnier. Just overall did not work for me. Maybe I should have been fit for them but I just took my 210 specs and ordered same shaft and same lie. Anyway, not downing the clubs. Always a Ping fan and love my 430 LST but these were not it. I'd say if you are new to the line and moving from another brand similar, you may have great experience. If you played 210s like I did, get fit and be sure they work. 

9 hours ago, over7par said:

That was my issue though--I lost distance and it killed my gapping at the top and bottom of my bag. I all of a sudden had a 25 yard gap at the top and had an i230 PW going the same distance as my T100-S GW. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not a distance guy. And these were actually my third set of them with different shafts (Steelfiber 95 S, Modus 105 S, PX IO 6.0) , but I saw the exact same issues with all three--absolutely perfect in every way except having to retool my bag at the top and bottom.

I'm in no way heaping anything bad on these. I wanted to love them. And I'd imagine I could've just played 4-PW and played them as I do my 5-GW T100-S, but after seeing the same thing with a third set of shafts, I'm positive it's something with me and they just don't jive well with me. Can't explain it, but just wanted to throw something out there to the people that are seeing contrary to the majority.

What do you think of the PX IO bs the Modus 105? I’ve been fit in to IOs and think they are nice but always wondered about the Modus and have never hit them. 

59 minutes ago, Gundee said:

FWIW I just came from a combo 4/5 T200 and 6-PW T100S to i230s. Same Nippon 105 S shafts in both and went power spec and my distances between the two have been fairly consistent. 

Do you find that the i230's spin a little more and are more forgiving?

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Titleist T150, KBS Tour R+, 6-pw

Titleist SM10 Nickel, 48F,54D,& 58D Black Onyx wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom 11L

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Coming off the Callaway X-Forged CB 21 irons and find the i230s do indeed spin more but ironically I am not losing any distance.  Have had a lot of approach shots land and spin back 5-10ft where my old irons would just sit where they landed.  The X-Forged have PX IO shafts and the i230s have DGS 120s but I don't think this is the difference...... must be the coating and extra grooves.

What I can tell you is that the i230s feel better on well struck shots. Feels more like a Titleist CB or Adams CMB iron than a cast club. Very muted feel. 

1 hour ago, dalillama47 said:

Do you find that the i230's spin a little more and are more forgiving?

I have only played one round with them and did not play particularly well (not due to irons), but can absolutely say I caught a couple very toe-side (my typical miss) and ball made it to green. This never would have happened with T100. Can't speak to spin quite yet. Seem to be on par with T100s, possibly a little higher but need more swings with the clubs. 

• Thanks 1