2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Trackman 7 iron Numbers?

DrBrown54

Was wondering if anyone knows what the pro level guys numbers are for 7 irons on a swing monitor? I found some articles but nothing in the modern era to compare notes to. I recently had a lesson and I snapped a pic of one of my best shots of the day on the screen so I could see where my specs are. My 7-iron is a srixon 765 with *edit* 36.0 deg loft. This was not a trackman (whatever GolfTEC has). The swing speed was around 79-84mph. The only info I've found is my launch is bit high and I'm betting it's because my angle of attack is about zero, it has been for a long time. If I rented the range/room for an hour and worked on trying to get the launch angle down I think I could learn some things or "feels" that are relatable to spin and launch. Here's the numbers I had...

BALL SPEED: 109mph

LAUNCH ANGLE: 22.7*

PULL: 0.5* L

BACKSPIN: 7641 rpm

SIDESPIN: 360 rpm

CARRY: 149 yds

TOTAL DIST: 157 yds

PEAK HEIGHT: 34.2 yds

Just fishing for feedback but I can vouch for the numbers being accurate because on the course I carry my 7i 150-155. Thanks in advance

Edited by DrBrown54

mvoss, my bad... or my fat thumbs I guess. Loft is 36 for this set, 32 would be a lot stronger than what I have. Wonder if that's what the more modern clubs are? Anyway thank you for that link, my launch is a couple deg higher and the most obvious answer is speed. I'm 10-15mph slower so it's about 15 yards short from the average you posted. That's definitely interesting knowing my launch isn't as bad off as I thought. I just have to put my purse down and get in touch with the primal animal and swing faster.

27 minutes ago, DrBrown54 said:

Was wondering if anyone knows what the pro level guys numbers are for 7 irons on a swing monitor? I found some articles but nothing in the modern era to compare notes to. I recently had a lesson and I snapped a pic of one of my best shots of the day on the screen so I could see where my specs are. My 7-iron is a srixon 765 with 18.0 deg loft. This was not a trackman (whatever GolfTEC has). The swing speed was around 79-84mph. The only info I've found is my launch is bit high and I'm betting it's because my angle of attack is about zero, it has been for a long time. If I rented the range/room for an hour and worked on trying to get the launch angle down I think I could learn some things or "feels" that are relatable to spin and launch. Here's the numbers I had...

Just fishing for feedback but I can vouch for the numbers being accurate because on the course I carry my 7i 150-155. Thanks in advance

Angle of attack being pretty level combined with the higher launch and spin definitely suggests a lack of shaft lean and probably a bit of flipping/adding loft at impact. At your speed though that isn't the worst thing in the world and your numbers aren't bad. I would be more concerned about strike and low point control if i'm right about the above mechanics. If you suffer from a mixture of thin/chunk misses at times or generally don't have good control over where you're striking the ball on the face then it warrants looking mechanics, the general idea being not to chase numbers by swinging differently, but to work on swinging *better* which will then inherently produce "better" numbers. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

36 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Angle of attack being pretty level combined with the higher launch and spin definitely suggests a lack of shaft lean and probably a bit of flipping/adding loft at impact. At your speed though that isn't the worst thing in the world and your numbers aren't bad. I would be more concerned about strike and low point control if i'm right about the above mechanics. If you suffer from a mixture of thin/chunk misses at times or generally don't have good control over where you're striking the ball on the face then it warrants looking mechanics, the general idea being not to chase numbers by swinging differently, but to work on swinging *better* which will then inherently produce "better" numbers. 

You're not wrong. I don't "flip" but I have a ton of rate of closure so it's inefficient. I used to leave the face wide open at the top and then roll the forearms at the ground to square the face... horrible I know! That's what I was taught as a kid and it's been a hard habit to break. But I'm working at it! And I agree, one of the things I'm working on now is hitting the inside of the ball and striking ball first every time. I have no idea how guys swing 100+ with a 7i! Boggles my mind

Just now, DrBrown54 said:

You're not wrong. I don't "flip" but I have a ton of rate of closure so it's inefficient. I used to leave the face wide open at the top and then roll the forearms at the ground to square the face... horrible I know! That's what I was taught as a kid and it's been a hard habit to break. But I'm working at it! And I agree, one of the things I'm working on now is hitting the inside of the ball and striking ball first every time. I have no idea how guys swing 100+ with a 7i! Boggles my mind

Striking the inner bottom quadrant of the ball will yield the highest ball speeds. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, DrBrown54 said:

Was wondering if anyone knows what the pro level guys numbers are for 7 irons on a swing monitor? I found some articles but nothing in the modern era to compare notes to. I recently had a lesson and I snapped a pic of one of my best shots of the day on the screen so I could see where my specs are. My 7-iron is a srixon 765 with *edit* 36.0 deg loft. This was not a trackman (whatever GolfTEC has). The swing speed was around 79-84mph. The only info I've found is my launch is bit high and I'm betting it's because my angle of attack is about zero, it has been for a long time. If I rented the range/room for an hour and worked on trying to get the launch angle down I think I could learn some things or "feels" that are relatable to spin and launch. Here's the numbers I had...

[Raises right flipper in sympathy...]

"Lives in a world full of wonder! 

Flying there under under the seaaaaaa!!"

Ack-ack-AACK! (sad dolphin noises.)

I've found it a lot tougher than i would have thought to "work on trying to get the launch angle down."

Since you mentioned Golftec, what did your swing videos show you?

The Srixon 765 seven iron has 32* of loft, according to their spec sheet. 

I had a Trackman lesson in September 2019. I was hitting an old Ping ISI seven iron which has 35* of loft. Using driving range balls, these were my numbers from MyTrackman: Attack angle -3.6, Low point 3.5A, Club path 8.2, Face to path -8.6, Face angle -0.4, Spin rate 5783, Carry 151.3, Total 168.8, Smash 1.42, Club speed 81.0, Ball speed 114.8. 
My instructor put Zach Johnson’s swing on the monitor for me to view. We have similar swing characteristics. Zach’s efficiency is superior to mine. His club speed was 93 mph and his carry yardage was 182.

I started playing Titleist t200 irons last year. The lofts are stronger than my old Pings. I’d be curious to see my Trackman numbers with the new equipment. Especially the spin rate because I am launching my irons much higher. It might be the AMT Black shafts.

1 hour ago, Moonlightgrm said:

The Srixon 765 seven iron has 32* of loft, according to their spec sheet. 

I had a Trackman lesson in September 2019. I was hitting an old Ping ISI seven iron which has 35* of loft. Using driving range balls, these were my numbers from MyTrackman: Attack angle -3.6, Low point 3.5A, Club path 8.2, Face to path -8.6, Face angle -0.4, Spin rate 5783, Carry 151.3, Total 168.8, Smash 1.42, Club speed 81.0, Ball speed 114.8. 
My instructor put Zach Johnson’s swing on the monitor for me to view. We have similar swing characteristics. Zach’s efficiency is superior to mine. His club speed was 93 mph and his carry yardage was 182.

I started playing Titleist t200 irons last year. The lofts are stronger than my old Pings. I’d be curious to see my Trackman numbers with the new equipment. Especially the spin rate because I am launching my irons much higher. It might be the AMT Black shafts.

35* and a smash factor of 1.42 is ridiculously good, PGA guys average 1.32-1.33. What is your 22* iron smash factor ? 

Edited by puresurfr
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Striking the inner bottom quadrant of the ball will yield the highest ball speeds. 

Common misconception. A good tight draw is only 1-3* in to out, which is effectively the back of the ball. Highest ball speeds come from solid center contact and delivering the appropriate amount of loft for your speed. 

14 hours ago, DrBrown54 said:

You are launching and spinning it a bit too much for your speed, you could stand to  deliver a bit less loft. You are currently hitting your 7i like a PGA tour 9i, but can stand to deliver a bit less loft and hit lower with less spin.  However trying to do that on your own just hitting on a launch monitor might not end well. You need to address the swing elements that aren't allowing you to deliver less loft. If you fix those things you will likely increase swing speed, increase ball speed, lower launch, lower spin

On 8/26/2022 at 12:20 AM, puresurfr said:

35* and a smash factor of 1.42 is ridiculously good, PGA guys average 1.32-1.33. What is your 22* iron smash factor ? 

In a side-by-side comparison on MyTrackman in September 2019, here are Zach Johnson’s 7-iron numbers: Attack angle -6.1, Low point 6.1A, Club path 6.6, Face to path -3.2, Face angle 3.4, Spin rate 5574, Carry 182, Smash 1.41, Club speed 93, ball speed 131.1. 

I have looked at several Tour professional’s numbers within the Trackman library and they all have a 7-iron smash factor above 1.40. I am skeptical of the smash numbers provided within the link posted above, which is a 2015 link. However, I’m not losing sleep over it. 😉👍

Edited by Moonlightgrm
Typo

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2022 at 10:40 AM, Moonlightgrm said:

In a side-by-side comparison on MyTrackman in September 2019, here are Zach Johnson’s 7-iron numbers: Attack angle -6.1, Low point 6.1A, Club path 6.6, Face to path -3.2, Face angle 3.4, Spin rate 5574, Carry 182, Smash 1.41, Club speed 93, ball speed 131.1. 

I have looked at several Tour professional’s numbers within the Trackman library and they all have a 7-iron smash factor above 1.40. I am skeptical of the smash numbers provided within the link posted above, which is a 2015 link. However, I’m not losing sleep over it. 😉👍

I get this is a year and a half later so we’ll see if you ever even see this haha - but I’ve been looking for similar numbers for a while (tour pro’s iron trackman numbers) but haven’t had any luck finding any (at least no database with several). Have only been able to find like one offs people post on Instagram etc. Do you have to have a trackman to access that? Just curious mainly comparing some swing numbers I have with different players.

Everyone always points me to the trackman averages, but am more interested in the different individual swings vs. the averages.

2 hours ago, Trilla7 said:

I get this is a year and a half later so we’ll see if you ever even see this haha - but I’ve been looking for similar numbers for a while (tour pro’s iron trackman numbers) but haven’t had any luck finding any (at least no database with several). Have only been able to find like one offs people post on Instagram etc. Do you have to have a trackman to access that? Just curious mainly comparing some swing numbers I have with different players.

Everyone always points me to the trackman averages, but am more interested in the different individual swings vs. the averages.

My instructor created a Trackman account for me. He uses his Trackman every time he gives a lesson. When I first logged into the account, I could look at every Tour Pro in the Trackman library. Since then, whenever he sends my data to my Trackman account he links it to Zach Johnson’s swing library because we have similar swings. As far as I know, I cannot control which professional swings that I can link to, so Zach has become my pro for comparison purposes. I suppose that I could ask him to link me to other Tour Pro swings (I’m built more like Matt Kuchar) but he feels Zach swing is my best match. Sadly, I can only access Zach’s library moving forward. I hope this is clear and answers your question. Bottom line: get a Trackman account.