921 HMP vs 923 HMP. Hit them both today.

JermWRX

Bought the 921 HMP in February. Love them. Project X LZ 6.0. Well of course I needed to test the 923 HMP even though I definitely don’t need new irons. Big mistake. They’re awesome. I said I’d sleep on it, but I don’t know who I was trying to fool. My pro shop said the same thing, since they know me all to well. So I’ll be placing an order first thing in the morning. I tested them with Project X IO 6.0. They’re 110 grams instead of 120, but they felt so smooth. The only thing I didn’t like about them is the white paint fill. I’d rather it was black. Maybe I can find someone to change that in the off-season. Someday maybe I’ll learn to avoid the pro shop🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, dlow206 said:

Details on what was more awesome?

The dispersion was fantastic. Of course that could be shaft related. Poor contact wasn’t disastrous. Hit a few very low on the face and wasn’t punished nearly as much as I expected. Pulls stayed left but didn’t wanna hook. Same with pushes. It just wanted to go straight. Looks are very similar. Except for the paint fill, like I mentioned. Not crazy about that. Head shape and size is identical, at least to my eye. I doubt most people will see any major performance differences between the two, but I like to get new stuff. 

Edited by JermWRX

Sounds more like the shaft than the head.

I really like my JPX 921 HMPs so mine are staying but I'll wait for the askgolfnut YouTube review to see how the ball behaves on parts of the iron face. Jason does a great job, even liked it so much, I used his review to weigh heavily in consideration before getting my JPX921 HMPs.

I think it will be interesting

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

1 minute ago, Landy said:

Wonder how much softer the 923 HMP are vs the 921's.

I always felt the 921 HMPs as harsh...

I didn’t find the 921 harsh, but I’ve always played cast clubs so I’m used to that “clicky” kind of impact. They were certainly softer than Ping G, Sim, Rogue, etc. I’ve owned all of those irons in the past and thought the HMP felt significantly better. That being said, the 923 felt even better. Low strikes had no vibration at all. Hit a few lower heely shots, and still got great results and the feel was nice. Flushed shots felt awesome. I went back today for a full fitting and ended up getting them with DG 120 S300. I can’t wait until they arrive.

17 hours ago, benz5521 said:

That’s exactly how I ordered my 923 HMPs. Project X IOs 6.0. I normally play a heavy shaft but that’s what the Mizuno computer recommended so I’ll try them. 

I went back today for the full fitting and ended up going with DG 120 S300. I did love the IO, but the numbers were consistently quite a bit different. I spun the IO a little too much. Got optimal spin, launch and peak height with the DG, so I went with them.

3 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I didn’t find the 921 harsh, but I’ve always played cast clubs so I’m used to that “clicky” kind of impact. They were certainly softer than Ping G, Sim, Rogue, etc. I’ve owned all of those irons in the past and thought the HMP felt significantly better. That being said, the 923 felt even better. Low strikes had no vibration at all. Hit a few lower heely shots, and still got great results and the feel was nice. Flushed shots felt awesome. I went back today for a full fitting and ended up getting them with DG 120 S300. I can’t wait until they arrive.

Thank you for your feedback @JermWRX I am playing the ZX5s and played the full 5 series prior.  Looking for more forgiveness as I'm playing less but still enjoy a soft feeling iron and dont like that harsh cast feel.  But I will demo and see what happens...

12 minutes ago, black bnr32 said:

Thanks.  Not gonna sugar coat it, that kinda sucks.

No problem. I know that’s a major issue for lots of folks. For me coming from Ping G irons with huge soles, I don’t even notice. The head looks so much smaller than what I’ve generally played my whole life. 

On 9/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, SwingBlues said:

Sounds more like the shaft than the head.

I really like my JPX 921 HMPs so mine are staying but I'll wait for the askgolfnut YouTube review to see how the ball behaves on parts of the iron face. Jason does a great job, even liked it so much, I used his review to weigh heavily in consideration before getting my JPX921 HMPs.

I think it will be interesting

I agree. He’s excellent at what he does. I just finished watching his full review of the 923 line. 

Yeah, 42.5 is pretty strong especially if you don’t offer a set gap wedge. That’s probably the biggest gripe I would have if the 923 HMP were on my radar. 

• Thanks 1

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

Looks like they can be bent up to 2 degrees weak. Anybody go that route with HMPs in the past? I’d love to see a picture that shows how bending them weak affects offset, etc.

Going 2 degrees weak on the short end seems to allow some space for better long end gaps, too. Somebody could go something like: 

4 — 19 (standard) 

5 — 22 (standard)

6 — 26 (1 weak)

7 — 30.5 (2 weak)
8 — 35 (2 weak)

9 — 39.5 (2 weak)

PW — 44.5 (2 weak)

… and then on to a 48 or 50 degree gap wedge.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

8 hours ago, Arlin964 said:

Yeah, 42.5 is pretty strong especially if you don’t offer a set gap wedge. That’s probably the biggest gripe I would have if the 923 HMP were on my radar. 

I just ordered the HM GW. That’s what I used with my 921 HMP. I never had any gapping issues

• Like 2

8 hours ago, teedub21 said:

42.5 PW is an issue for me on the HMP’s since no gap wedge is offered. Currently using Cleveland CBX Zipcore wedges and they don’t make anything lower lofted than a 50 in left hand. So I’d have a forgiving set of irons, a less forgiving gap wedge then more forgiving wedges. 

The 923 HM GW is 48 degrees. I ordered that as the GW. That’s what I did with 921 also. Then I get to Zipcore 52 & 56. MG3 60. I never had any issues with the 921 gapping, so I’m not expecting any with the 923. The difference between 921 PW to GW was 5 degrees (44-49). Now it’s 5.5 degrees (42.5-48). I don’t see that being a problem for me.

6 hours ago, eric61 said:

Looks like they can be bent up to 2 degrees weak. Anybody go that route with HMPs in the past? I’d love to see a picture that shows how bending them weak affects offset, etc.

Going 2 degrees weak on the short end seems to allow some space for better long end gaps, too. Somebody could go something like: 

4 — 19 (standard) 

5 — 22 (standard)

6 — 26 (1 weak)

7 — 30.5 (2 weak)
8 — 35 (2 weak)

9 — 39.5 (2 weak)

PW — 44.5 (2 weak)

… and then on to a 48 or 50 degree gap wedge.

For me personally, I don’t think I’d like the change in the bounce.

Just to touch on the GW comments:

There was an issue I had with the 921 HM GW. The offset was the same as the HMP 6 iron. I hated that. Took some getting used to, but the gapping was fine. 

The offset in the 923 GW is more in line with what it’s supposed to be. The 923 HM GW offset is less than the HMP PW. Maybe they heard enough complaints about it, and designed set wedges that actually flow with both HM and HMP.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

There was an issue I had with the 921 HM GW. The offset was the same as the HMP 6 iron. I hated that. Took some getting used to, but the gapping was fine. 

The offset in the 923 GW is more in line with what it’s supposed to be. The 923 HM GW offset is less than the HMP PW. Maybe they heard enough complaints about it, and designed set wedges that actually flow with both HM and HMP.

i thought the offset was going to be like the 921 in the gw, so i ordered a ping glide wedge but i should have waited to see the specs. So i now ordered a 923 hm gw as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

Good clarification.  Someone in the pre-release forum on the JPX 923 thread said to check out the AskGolfNut youtube channel on these irons, and one thing he said piqued my interest.  His assessment of the JPX line being really friendly to those of us who miss out on the toe of irons has me thinking about a possibility of trying them.  I've been on an iron search for what feels like two years, but it's only been one.  I've gone from Apex 21 to ZX7 to T200/T100s combo set to trying ZX5 in the 5 & 6 with the rest ZX7.  I'm not in love with any of those yet, but I feel a full set in ZX5 might be the leading candidate.  I can get pretty steep, so the srixon V-sole works better for me than the T200/T100s combo set soles.  ZX7 is just a wee scoshe too thin in the short irons, which is why I'm leaning toward all ZX5.  Apex 21 had a bit too much offset for my comfort and overall just didn't work great.  Maybe it's a shaft issue too.

HMP would probably be my best fit, but offset looks to be relatively similar to Apex 21.  Maybe they would hide it better though.

Sorry for the threadjack.  Where's the Club Ho's Anonymous thread?

• Like 2

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

Thanks for the heads up on Jason's 923 reviews. Last I saw was his new LM Studio and his update on his other projects. IMO, Jason is one of the best detailed reviewers out there, I wish he had more following and hits, he deserves it... anyway...

While this is the 923 Hot Metal (not Pro) review, the toe "miss hits" continue to impress

I love my JPX 921 HMP specifically because of my toe hits so it looks like the 923 WILL continue this... or so it seems till Jason releases his assessment on the 923 HMP.

image.png.bdd528c2667b67ebda64279726ea7575.png

He has a benchmark of 173 carry with the 921 HMP 7 iron on the toe, be interesting to see what the 923 HMP will be like in comparison...

image.png.8648d489ff1f78f9dcb4177037f1a95f.png

Great to see Mizzy continue to AMAZE with the 923 line 👍

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing