Adjusting PXG Gen3 Irons Swingweight

Nessism

I just received some Gen3 XP irons built -1/2" short.  Swingweights are coming in at about C6.5 or so (other than the PW which is higher.)

PXG says send them back if I don't like them.  They mention that it might be possible to increase swingweight with heavier back weights, but the CSR said I should just send the irons back and order a different set if I wasn't happy.

I see that places like Monarch Golf sell different weights for these heads.  Max size is 4 grams, but these weights are longer.

From an older thread here I found info stating that the threaded hole depth varies; some are deep and would take the 4 gram weights, and others aren't, and obviously, won't.  

Has anyone gone down this road?  I don't mind buying a handful of different weights if it will solve the problem.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I don't think any of the ports will fit the 4g.  The toe ports I think are the medium length weights and the middle and heel weights are the short length weights.  Between the different weight sizes, the t15 bit, and the red loctite which takes a fair amount of heat to remove the weights without stripping, you're far better off sending them to PXG to have it done. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Proof said:

I don't think any of the ports will fit the 4g.  The toe ports I think are the medium length weights and the middle and heel weights are the short length weights.  Between the different weight sizes, the t15 bit, and the red loctite which takes a fair amount of heat to remove the weights without stripping, you're far better off sending them to PXG to have it done. 

Thanks for the comment.

The PXG rep I talked to last night said it's easier to return the set for refund, and then order another set with the request for higher swingweight.  I'm starting to doubt the ability to hit D0 using MMT shafts at -1/2".  The Gen4's, with the large weight in the back, seems like a better design in terms of adjusting swingweight.

• Like 1

My guess is that if you sent them to PXG they would pull them apart, remove the tip weights and re-glue them with heavier tip weights.  They can probably get 2-3 extra swingweights that way.  Then using the weights in the head they could probably add another 1-2 swingweights getting you closer to D0.  Definitely would be easier with Gen 4/5. 

• Like 1

I’d let PXG fix it instead of blowing up your warranty and return rights and everything else.

The build quality / specs on my set of 0211ST irons was extraordinary, so they’re definitely capable. The fitter and I discussed delivery time vs build precision and my only concern was for the latter. He feels the same way and said he’d talk with their head tour player builder about it. Whatever they discussed it came in tighter than any OEM’s stated tolerances. Probably just dealing with so much volume right now. I doubt they’d mess up a re-build. I’ve gotta think their CSR process would flag it or something.

PXG will not take them back to adjust swingweight on the gen 3. I ordered the gen3 with a d2 SW and the best they could do was a high C borderline D. Instructed to send them back and wait for the next series to become available if I was still interested. Told by cs it would become possible to do on gen4 but I didn't want to wait 1.5 years for the price to drop on those. You could order the ebay weights and go that route which some have done according to the fitter I had. This was over a year ago but looks to be a issue they fixed with the last 2 models. 

Edited by tomuch23
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Yes only one weight port is longer and its borderline useless to try to add weights. Can only add like 1-2 grams total if i recall correctly when i went down this rabbit hole. They also say changing any weights voids the warranty. I had Gen 3 with MMT 125 and i couldnt get a decent swing weight on them. 

• Like 1
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

1 hour ago, Albatross85 said:

Yes only one weight port is longer and its borderline useless to try to add weights. Can only add like 1-2 grams total if i recall correctly when i went down this rabbit hole. They also say changing any weights voids the warranty. I had Gen 3 with MMT 125 and i couldnt get a decent swing weight on them. 

In a Gen 3 XP head you can usually add around 5g via the screws and 8g via tipweight.  

• Like 1

Great info guys, thanks!

5 grams via the screws sounds good, but that means I'd have to buy a LOT of screws, and those things are several bucks each.  Anyone know the cavity depth for the screws?  

I'm not a fan of big tip weights in graphite shafts, so it would have to be a combo of screws and small tip weights.  Anyone think this is worth the hassle and cost?

image.png.007e2dac6a75c58a03b777008d8265d0.png

Edited by Nessism

I THINK that the Gen 3 XP's have (3) 7.37mm ports and (4) 4.06mm ports. The problem you're going to run into is that I don't think the weights in the ports are going to be consistent.  Depending on manufacturing tolerances, one head might need a 2.7g weight in the toe to get to standard head weight and another one might need a 1.7g weight.  IIRC most of the small weights I've pulled out of Gen 3 XP have been 0.3g so 4 of the 1.27g weights would get you 4g, but it's been awhile since I've done it.  I feel like the toe weights are usually 1.7g medium length weights, one of the heel weights is a 0.7g medium weight and the 3 middle and 1 heel are 0.3g short weights but I wouldn't make a purchase based off my memory.  I have some Gen 3 T's that I can check the weights on if I can find a T15 but not sure if XP weight layout is the same.  

• Like 3

On 9/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, Nessism said:

Thanks for the comment.

The PXG rep I talked to last night said it's easier to return the set for refund, and then order another set with the request for higher swingweight.  I'm starting to doubt the ability to hit D0 using MMT shafts at -1/2".  The Gen4's, with the large weight in the back, seems like a better design in terms of adjusting swingweight.

Gen4 is way easier to swing weight and worth the extra cost.

I did go down the swingweight rabbit hole with a set of Gen3 irons and it is a bit like playing whack-a-mole trying to find the deeper weight ports and which little weight can fit in each hole.  

Most of the weights in the G3 are minimal and trying to SW each iron became a waste of time and I just went with lead tape.

The large weight in Gen4 is worth the extra money as it makes swingweighting so much easier and the irons look cleaner when done.

• Like 1

The business about the hosel weights is interesting.  I don't see any of those for sale.  Does anyone know what material they are made from?

One other thing I've noticed about these irons is that they are short.  I typically build to length w/o grip, using a Mitchell club length ruler, and these clubs are at least 1/4" short to that spec.  I'm starting to think that I should return these, and have a new set built to standard length, with the heaviest swingweight possible.  Optional to that, is buy one shaft, soft step, then buy some weights and see what I can do myself.  That may be the better play, since at this point, I don't trust PXG.

Edited by Nessism

32 minutes ago, Nessism said:

The business about the hosel weights is interesting.  I don't see any of those for sale.  Does anyone know what material they are made from?

One other thing I've noticed about these irons is that they are short.  I typically build to length w/o grip, using a Mitchell club length ruler, and these clubs are at least 1/4" short to that spec.  I'm starting to think that I should return these, and have a new set built to standard length, with the heaviest swingweight possible.  Optional to that, is buy one shaft, soft step, then buy some weights and see what I can do myself.  That may be the better play, since at this point, I don't trust PXG.

Just return them.  You aren't happy with what you have, to fix it will be a headache whether you buy individual weights, tip weights, or anything else.  Now they are short of what you ordered.  Send back, get your money back and re-order or look elsewhere is the easiest fix, IMO.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

If PXG is willing to take them back, and you can order your desired SW, I'd go that route.  Good luck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

11 hours ago, Nessism said:

PXG measures length the way the USGA does, by fixing the club at a 60* angle.  Mitchell rulers fix the club at a 64* angle.  A PXG club built to 37" should measure 36 3/4" on a Mitchell ruler.

I've decided to customize these clubs myself.  PXG is out of 5 iron Gen3 heads now, and switching to Gen 4 heads is a 50% increase in cost.

Going to order one shaft, tip weights, and ferrules from Golfworks, so I can softstep.  I wanted to do that from the start, but the PXG CSR talked me out of it, and I stupidly accepted.  

Question is: what back weights should I order?  How long/heavy?  And how many?  I'll stuff the back to the extent possible, and minimize the tip weight size.  Maybe I should get off my duff and pull the weights and figure this out myself, eh?  Torx T15 security bit?  

Oh, and I've got a lathe and can cut some hosel weights if there is room for them.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, Proof said:

Same club measured on a USGA ruler and a Mitchell ruler

Length.png

That’s very interesting…at the Detroit PXG store they have a Mitchell ruler but it does have an aluminum block at the end similar to your picture.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

2 hours ago, Sparty4202 said:

That’s very interesting…at the Detroit PXG store they have a Mitchell ruler but it does have an aluminum block at the end similar to your picture.

The ruler part is just a normal ruler that slides into whatever block you're using.  You'll notice it's the same ruler in both, it's just inserted into 2 different blocks. 

Pulled weights out of the 5 iron today and learned the following:

- The screws are regular Torx, not security Torx.  Torch heat for 5 seconds was enough to release the red loctite, allowing easy removal.

- There are 6 screw holes about 4.4 mm deep, holding 4 mm screws.

- 4 mm non-magnetic screws weight 0.5gm, and the magnetic type weigh 0.9gm. 

- There are 3 screw holes 7.8 mm deep, holding 7.5 mm screws.

- 7.5 mm non-magnetic screws weigh 0.8gm, and the magnetic type weigh 2.8gm.

What's got me really confused is the difference between the screw weights and the magnetism.  The lightweight screws must be aluminum.  And the heaver screws are either steel or tungsten.  Steel makes sense for the heavier 4 mm screws, because the weight difference is slightly less than double.  For the longer 7.5 mm screws though, the weight difference is 3.5x, so maybe these are tungsten?  

As to how to adjust these irons is concerned, Monark is the only company selling weights for a half way decent price.  Problem is, they don't sell many sizes.  I might have to buy a bunch of the heaviest jobbies and crank up the lathe to shorten them to a usable length.  If these are truly tungsten, that may prove problematic because it's a biotch to cut.

can confirm that PXG lightweight screws are aluminum whereas the heavier are made from tungsten.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo 19 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

Found a screw seller with the following info.  Screws of the same length, but different weights.  I suspect different materials and maybe, some are relieved in places.  Too bad these screws are so expensive.  No way I'm paying $9/screw.

image.png.e5d4fa38a72916a991d6b8f489327f43.png

5 hours ago, AdamMH said:

If you have the ability to measure thread pitch & size you might be able to go buy generic steel set screws to replace your aluminum ones. Suddenly those 0.5g screws will weigh over 1g and you can get 50 for the same price as a couple of the Monark ones.

My machinist friend said the same thing!   I'll hunt for some this weekend.

The machinist guy also said that grinding the Monark screws would be a lot easier than trying to cut them on a lathe.  He said that we can try, using a C6 carbide cutter, but it won't be easy.  

Edit: the thread size is 1/4-28.  I was expecting metric, but no.

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1

Ordered 50 stainless 1/4-28 set screws for $10 shipped off Amazon.  I'll make a holder and then sit down at the lathe with a beer and whittle out some replacement screws for the 4 mm jobbies.  YES, this is an anal, questionable from a logic standpoint, project.  But I like this sort of thing, so there you have it! 🙃  For the longer screws, I'm going to grab some of the longer tungsten parts from Monarch, and shorten to fit.  I should be able to get in the range of 5-7 gram increase, after all is said and done.

image.png.3fdf7190fa383eac3efac5c43354a30a.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Ordered 50 stainless 1/4-28 set screws for $10 shipped off Amazon.  I'll make a holder and then sit down at the lathe with a beer and whittle out some replacement screws for the 4 mm jobbies.  YES, this is an anal, questionable from a logic standpoint, project.  But I like this sort of thing, so there you have it! 🙃  For the longer screws, I'm going to grab some of the longer tungsten parts from Monarch, and shorten to fit.  I should be able to get in the range of 5-7 gram increase, after all is said and done.

image.png.3fdf7190fa383eac3efac5c43354a30a.png

Call it a labour of love I guess - you must really like these irons! I know I'm enjoying my new 0811x. Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Pulled all the weights...only stripped the head on one!  Drilled the screw head oversize and then pounded in a T20 bit to remove it.  

Pulled the grips too, and that was the most epic pain in the Word not allowed in the history of civilization.  All the grip tape stuck inside the grip.  Got it out, thanks to a couple of Golfworks grip brushes, but the entire process is NO FUN.  It sure was fun to finish, though, so all is GOOD!

• Like 1