2022 Pelican Women's Championship (Nov 10 - 13)

Argonne69

Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points

Format: 72 holes

Purse: $2,000,000

Par: 70

Yardage: 6,268 yds

History: This is the 3rd year for the event. In 2021, Nelly Korda bounced back from a triple bogey on the 17th hole with a 21'  birdie on the final hole to force a playoff, and then sunk a 23' birdie putt on the first playoff hole for the victory.

Coverage:

November 10: The Golf Channel 10:00 am - 1:00 pm (ET)

November 11: The Golf Channel 10:00 am - 1:00 pm (ET)

November 12: NBC Sports App (Stream) 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm (EDT)

November 12: The Golf Channel 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm (EDT)

November 13: NBC Sports App (Stream) 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm (EDT)

November 13: The Golf Channel 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm (EDT)

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Ugh. Tape delayed coverage of the final two rounds, but I guess the live stream will have to suffice.

Last chance for players to get within the top 60 on the CME points list to secure a spot in next week's CME Group Tour Championship. Can't believe Ariya is currently outside the top 60.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Boy, short course even for a par 70. Does it play 'longer' than its official length?

Trust we get no silly 300 yard par 5's.......

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Is this the first tournament for 2023?  On their site, it states that it's New Season for Womens Golf..

Official Tournament Site for Pelican Golf.

Looks like lot of top players are finally coming back..

The Pelican Women’s Championship will feature the strongest field in the tournament’s three-year history when 120 of the world’s best professional golfers converge upon Tampa Bay and Pelican Golf Club, Nov. 7-13. Seven of the top-10 and 16 of the top-25 players in the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings are committed to the championship, including Jin Young Ko, Lydia Ko, defending champion Nelly Korda, Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson, In Gee Chun, Hyo Joo Kim, Jennifer Kupcho, 2020 champion Sei Young Kim, Celine Boutier, Xiyu Lin, Hye-Jin Choi, Hannah Green, Leona Maguire, Ayaka Furue, and Madelene Sagstrom. The Pelican Women’s Championship also will feature a number of Tampa Bay-area residents, including Brittany Altomare, Elizabeth Szokol and major champion Brittany Lincicome, who is returning to LPGA Tour competition next week after the birth of her daughter in September. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

Boy, short course even for a par 70. Does it play 'longer' than its official length?

Hmmm, I usually add about 100 yards per stroke going from par 70 to 72 (assumes that 2 average par 4s are lengthened to par 5s).  That would push a par 72 equivalent to near 6500 yards.  That's typically not considered long these days, but I wouldn't call it short.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Hmmm, I usually add about 100 yards per stroke going from par 70 to 72 (assumes that 2 average par 4s are lengthened to par 5s).  That would push a par 72 equivalent to near 6500 yards.  That's typically not considered long these days, but I wouldn't call it short.

You know I respect your comments on here....my key anticipating issue is if we get a few 'faux' (due to forced forward tee) par 5's that bring the course down to say 6300 yards (or worse) unless there is a significant risk/reward element on such a hole.

TBF though, I'm still not really favourable of a course below 6600 yards unless there is lots of terrain rise and fall.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

8 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

You know I respect your comments on here....my key anticipating issue is if we get a few 'faux' (due to forced forward tee) par 5's that bring the course down to say 6300 yards (or worse) unless there is a significant risk/reward element on such a hole.

TBF though, I'm still not really favourable of a course below 6600 yards unless there is lots of terrain rise and fall.

I agree that they shouldn't dink any 5s down to super short unless there is real risk/reward (typically PAs near the green).  Par 72 at 6300 yards would be short for sure. 

However, it is a challenge to setup courses for better women players.  Most of the time a single set of tees won't work.  Typically the correct total yardage can yield par 4s and maybe par 3s that are too long with some par 5s that are good.  Go to a shorter tee and the 3s and 4s work well, but the 5s are too short. The best mix of yardage for men and the best mix for women don't overlap that well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I agree that they shouldn't dink any 5s down to super short unless there is real risk/reward (typically PAs near the green).  Par 72 at 6300 yards would be short for sure. 

However, it is a challenge to setup courses for better women players.  Most of the time a single set of tees won't work.  Typically the correct total yardage can yield par 4s and maybe par 3s that are too long with some par 5s that are good.  Go to a shorter tee and the 3s and 4s work well, but the 5s are too short. The best mix of yardage for men and the best mix for women don't overlap that well.

Geez that's insightful, I didn't realise all of that.

Are there any designer's courses combined with suitable and realistic tee manipulation that can work well for female pros? I'm thinking Donald Ross courses as an example as per last year's Solheim. Others such as Merion off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, 8602081 said:

Is this the first tournament for 2023?  On their site, it states that it's New Season for Womens Golf..

Official Tournament Site for Pelican Golf.

Looks like lot of top players are finally coming back..

The Pelican Women’s Championship will feature the strongest field in the tournament’s three-year history when 120 of the world’s best professional golfers converge upon Tampa Bay and Pelican Golf Club, Nov. 7-13. Seven of the top-10 and 16 of the top-25 players in the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings are committed to the championship, including Jin Young Ko, Lydia Ko, defending champion Nelly Korda, Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson, In Gee Chun, Hyo Joo Kim, Jennifer Kupcho, 2020 champion Sei Young Kim, Celine Boutier, Xiyu Lin, Hye-Jin Choi, Hannah Green, Leona Maguire, Ayaka Furue, and Madelene Sagstrom. The Pelican Women’s Championship also will feature a number of Tampa Bay-area residents, including Brittany Altomare, Elizabeth Szokol and major champion Brittany Lincicome, who is returning to LPGA Tour competition next week after the birth of her daughter in September. 

Unfortunately, some of those listed are no longer entered. 

8 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

If you have enough tees, then one can pick and choose to get a suitable composite course.  Also, I have heard of some architects including women friendly features into their designs.  That's usually for ams, but might include layouts suitable for the pros (don't know).

Women tend to get distance different than men.  Most women are slinging draws and rely on fast fairways to get lots of rollout.  Apex on all shots are substantially lower.  Unless the greens are receptive, you will see alot of bouncing balls onto front green entry areas.

Long rough and firm greens are much more penal to women than men (lower apex, less strength, flatter swing planes, less speed so less spin).  Depending on the course conditions, you may see shorter holes because of soft fairways, or wider fairways if the rough is high and greens firm, etc... .  Setting up a course for women's competitions is just different, even for the pros.

Thanks, that's illuminating.

Your comment "Women tend to get distance different than men" is interesting. I see a few shall we say 'natural' 245y drivers trying to get to 265y and ending up at 255y with that slinging draw but with now with much greater dispersion and so variable event results (good and bad) - much more hot and cold.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

It's at sea level, so it'll play a little longer. 

During one of the Toto rounds, the announcing crew were talking about course length, and I nearly fell out of my chair when they said lengths had increased to roughly 6600 yds over the past few years. Lol. Don't know what tour they've been watching. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It's at sea level, so it'll play a little longer. 

During one of the Toto rounds, the announcing crew were talking about course length, and I nearly fell out of my chair when they said lengths had increased to roughly 6600 yds over the past few years. Lol. Don't know what tour they've been watching

they haven't been watching... i distinctly recall kate(?) mentioned she arrived a week early to enjoy the sushi etc...  after that, i promptly "muted"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Jeeno's reign as as the top golfer will encounter a serious test this week; Jin Young, Lydia and Nelly don't need to win to overtake her as #1 golfer:

I was surprised the RR points for the Toto Japan were as high as they were given the field strength. JYK lost 7.09 total points (Lydia -6.40, Nelly -6.37) for the week while Jeeno gained 0.84 after the 10T . The RR points are going to be higher this week and there is also valuable points for some of the major LPGA awards to play for.  I guess then it's also possible Jeeno could go from RR#1 to as low as RR#4...

4 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

I was surprised the RR points for the Toto Japan were as high as they were given the field strength.

The winner of Toto got 34.00, which is on the low side among all LPGA events.  For example, BMW Ladies in Korea got 43.00 and VOA in Texas got 46.00.  The LPGA contingent at Toto was weak; but all top JLPGA players were in the field, many of them are inside Rolex Top 75.  Jeeno gained 0.84 but her average went down because her divisor went up, 43 to 44. 

You're right, Jeeno could fall to #4 by Monday next week; but she can regain it the week after.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Ugh. Tape delayed coverage of the final two rounds, but I guess the live stream will have to suffice.

Last chance for players to get within the top 60 on the CME points list to secure a spot in next week's CME Group Tour Championship. Can't believe Ariya is currently outside the top 60.

Ugh back to only 3 hrs of live coverage here minus commercial breaks, tournament sponsors interview and the commentary team...so about 2 hrs of actual golf...although we will get coverage of the last round till the finish. Our live coverage is from 4.00am - 7.00am Fri/Sat, 7.00am-10am Sun/Mon with the Champions Tour live coverage later in the mornings....hoping for another good showing from Lydia and Steven Alker.... lot's to play for for the kiwi's this week.

27 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Lydia, what if you're pregnant?

Interesting she only commented about next year.  One could take it day by day (or a year at a time) or have an idea to play X more years (pending something else happening).  Of course, I am biased here so probably picking up more than I should from her exact words.

Anyways, hope she plays well for as long as she plays and that she can make a serious move in the record books/LPGA HoF before it is over.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

to play X more years (pending something else happening)

I've been pessimistic from day one; in that she'll quit the tour 2-3 months after she's pregnant.  The Sean Foley announcement further validated my conviction.

Hopefully, she wins 2022 player of the year, Vare Trophy and one of the next two tournaments to get her 25 of the 27 HOF points.

I suspect at least one native Floridian will be contending come Sunday. Hopefully it's Lexi. Perhaps her win at the Aramco sparked some much needed confidence.

Would really like to see Hye-Jin get that first win this year.

Would also love to see Janet get it done.

Bit of a tossup with a pick this week, could be Lydia, Brooke, Nelly, Bianca, Maria, Muni.. (btw Fassi does have 2 top 20's here 😉)

I like Lexi, Janet or Andrea for the win, Buhai, Sagstrom or Stark for a dark horse sneak attack.

• Like 2