2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Retiring in Pinehurst and getting a membership there

BG5

Any advice for me about living and retiring in Pinehurst.  Housing appears to be somewhat reasonable compared to the midwest town I live in now.  I love to golf and am interested in the membership at Pinehurst.  The thought of having access to all those courses is appealing because it appears I would not get bored.  Also being able to golf #2 and #4 is also very cool.  

I am a bit concerned with how busy the courses would get but I its not a deal breaker.  Last I heard dues were about $600 a month which seems like a steal of a price given all the courses you have access to.  I am not sure if there are extra fees but I like to walk so if walking is an option that would be great.  If anyone has information on this about living or being a member there I would love to hear it.  I have heard their initiation fee is like $45,000 but if you buy a house that has a membership its only $25,000.  Thats def not chump change but If I were to spread that out over 40 years its  really not that much cash if ya think of it that way.

I have also considered working there in retirment (Not for money) but more for the free golf if they do that for their workers.  Any idea if workers get free golf for a test drive of the club?

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I'll respond to this one since it looks like you posted the same question across 4-5 different forums...

I'm not so sure that working somewhere in the hopes of getting free golf is a realistic idea for a few reasons:

1) You stated you're 55 now (which isn't too old). However, how long do you really think you'll want to keep working? Aside from starter or pro shop attendant there aren't a whole lot of jobs at golf courses that don't require some sort of physical labor, and do you really think you'll be able to do that sort of work in 5, 10, or 15 years???

2) Best case scenario (at all the clubs I've been a member at) the club you work at allows workers to play once a week (typically on a Monday) when the course might be closed to members. Is working 5-6 days a week just to be able to play once a week worth it? Also, it's not like you would be a member so you couldn't bring guests/family/friends out to play with you.

I think you'd be best served finding a place to retire that you'll be happy in and trying to join a club in that area.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

We considered moving there, but decided there would not be enough for my wife to do. We checked out Pinehurst, and Mid Pines/Pine Needles. The courses looked very nice, but they were busy. I would think they would accommodate members, but I would be very surprised if the rounds are very quick. I really like the Sandhills, but it’s very hot in the summer. I actually called the membership director at Pinehurst, and he really didn’t have time to speak . He said he might have time to speak in about a week. I took that as an indication as to how busy they are. We probably will not relocate, but we decided we would be happier in a medium sized city with some private golf options.

Probably worth a discovery trip. I played # 8 Saturday and the cart attendant had retired a few years back and moved to the Sandhills. He said they do get a discount on golf but the issue is most guys he knows work at the resort and don't have the same days off. So no regular game for him.

However, Pinehurst CC's Men's Golf Assoc just made the Carolinas Senior Interclub finals so there must be a regular game somewhere.

Edited by JRSc

There are always jobs available at Pinehurst, the place is big and always busy - 9 courses, 3-4 Hotels, spa, tennis/pickle ball, pools, 7-8 restaurants, finding a job is easy.  Employees can play most courses for $5, Premiums are like $50 (#2, #4, maybe #8) - Guests can play with members for $35-$60.

That being said, the resort releases tee times and courses to employees the day of, or maybe the night before.  You have to be flexible to take advantage of this and have friends who are also.  It is a nice benefit ...

Pinehurst does have a nice membership and there are many different groups to play with, rotating courses is fun, generally play move along well except on #2/#4/#8 because they are difficult, folks have played big bucks and have caddies, and want to get there moneys worth.  Great driving ranges and practice areas.  Walking/pushing always allowed.

I belong to Pine Needles/Mid Pines/Southern Pines - great membership also but with wait list now...again you have to be flexible.  Can walk anytime...

Neither are traditional Private CC memberships, if you want that try CCNC, Forest Creek, CC Whispering Pines, Foxfire or Pinewild... (although Pinehurst rumored to be buying Pinewild...

Edited by allparz
  • Like 1

Played with a PH member a couple years ago. I was informed the membership was not worth it. Member's tee times are limited to the first hour on 2 and 4, and was told it was basically like a lottery to get one of these. Most members play 1, 5, and 9. Or got offsite to 7 and 8. He said if your dream is to retire and play 2 and 4 a lot, it's not gonna happen. I think he said he play #2 four times the previous year and he felt lucky to do that. 2 and 4 are highly restricted to resort guest play mainly for the financial gain they bring.

That being said, he highly touted and recommended joining MP/PN/SP. Unlimited play for members but you just have to put up with guest play as mentioned. But no limited tee times or restrictions. He was a member there, gave it up for PH and says it was one of his biggest regrets. He's now trying to get back in but it's like a 2 year wait or something. 

That being said, PH does have all the amenities, practice facility, Cradle, etc... I was just warned against it if 2 and 4 were primary reasons for wanting to ever join.

• Like 1

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

• 11 months later...

Man....the closer I get to retirement the more excited I am about possibly moving to a place like Pinehurst to golf my brains out 🙂  The Pinehurst membership is very enticing because of all the courses you get.  I am sure its busy but not a bad place to be a member at 🙂

The Pine Needles, Mid-Pines and Southern Pines membership is also very enticing.  I am not sure what the dues are at these places now a days but lets just say they are around $8000-$10,000 a year.  Not bad considering you can play pretty much year round. 

The other thing I am surprised at is your money goes along way in North Carolina.....housing seems pretty reasonable

Anyone got any feedback about membership at these places?

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Waiting list for membership is currently years long for both Pinehurst and the Southern Pines courses.

Best option for Pinehurst is to buy a house from someone with a current membership and you're allowed to transfer the membership to the new owner for something like 50% of the cost. Houses for sale that have transferable memberships ALWAYS put that nugget in the Zillow listings.  

• Like 1

I would assume they block some tee times for members.  With that being said I doubt you are playing #2 or #4 everyday but if you are flexible then I am sure you can play them a decent amount

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I’ve posted on this before, but I’ll add a few quick notes here:

Supposedly 50% of the times each day are member times across all of the courses, but are not split equitably. Meaning that on a given day there may be few (or non) tee times on certain courses.

That being said, any open resort times become available to members 48 hours out. If you are willing to join a resort group, there are often slots for singles available on 2,4,& 8 each day. I play 2 and 4 around 10-15 times each a year and I don’t live there full time yet. I personally know two members who played over 100 rounds on 2 last year!!!

While the quality of the courses beyond 2,4,&8 is lesser, I would contend that they each add something to the membership that makes it a great deal. 6, 7, & 9 are better than average courses that are challenging and enjoyable. Even 1,3&5 offer something fun and different every once in a while. And as I get older, these non-championship courses become great options if I need a motorized cart or need something with less severe features. For a “destination” golf trip stick with 2,4,&8. For someone playing over 100 rounds a year having a lot of options is a good thing. 

Hit me up with any questions, either PM or in this forum. And definitely let me know when you’re in the area and we can play and take a tour around the member facilities. 

If you were a member during Covid you won the lottery.

I played #2 in April of 2020 during the Covid shutdown. A friend who is a member called me and said they needed 2 more players to fill out their group the next afternoon. Course was the only thing open. I’m sure other courses were open but all facilities were closed.

Ten members and two guests. We basically had the course to ourselves.
I mean it felt like a dream. One of those April days in the Carolinas that’s slightly overcast with the Dogwoods and Azaleas just wanting to pop. A little cool so walking in long pants was comfortable and the greens were on fire. We maybe saw two other groups all day. It was surreal walking up #18 with an empty veranda. 

I have played #2 many times and remember most of the rounds. It is such a special course. But this one takes the cake. 

Funny.. most of those guys are still members but play a majority of their golf at other clubs. Pinehurst is a very busy place. And I love it.