2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jones Trouper R Cooler Pocket Review

SageMain

Hello all! I am currently In the market for a new golf bag. Been rocking with a Ping hoofer lite going on 7 years now and am ready for an upgrade. I really like the look and colors of the Jones Trouper R stand bags but am put off by the cooler pocket as I don't see myself using it as intended.

Can anyone share their experience with the bag? Is the cooler pocket a turn off or is it still a convenient way to store balls/tees/rangefinder etc?

Thanks

I’ve had the Trooper R now for about a month and I actually really like the cooler pocket while playing. I can easily fit my snacks and 2 Gatorade squeeze bottles if I wanted to. 

The side pockets next to the cooler pocket do a good job in storing golf balls, tees, ball markers, tape and divot tool. 

I like to walk and carry sometimes, and I prefer the cooler pocket when walking. It’s easy to reach back when carrying to grab the water bottle and put it back. 

There is a pocket on the top right side of the bag that’s perfect for my range finder. Makes it easier to hide so it doesn’t get stolen from my bag, like it has in the past.  

I really can’t think of anything that I don’t like about the bag so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I've had the Utility Trooper for a year now and I really like the cooler pocket. But at the end of the day it's just a pocket. You aren't required to use it for keeping things cold. If you want to stuff it full of balls it will work just fine. It's actually quite a large pocket, so if you aren't going to use it for drinks/snacks, then it provides a lot of additional carrying capacity.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:40 PM, SageMain said:

Hello all! I am currently In the market for a new golf bag. Been rocking with a Ping hoofer lite going on 7 years now and am ready for an upgrade. I really like the look and colors of the Jones Trouper R stand bags but am put off by the cooler pocket as I don't see myself using it as intended.

Can anyone share their experience with the bag? Is the cooler pocket a turn off or is it still a convenient way to store balls/tees/rangefinder etc?

Thanks

Ive had mine for about 3 yrs. Its great to have holds about 4 cans but using standard ice will eventually melt and leak into the bag and make your grips wet/damp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had one for 2 days. It has possibly the worst and most useless lower pocket layout I've ever seen on a golf bag. You are forced to use small zip or tie bags to hold small items that other carry bags have pockets for such as tees and ball markers/etc.

Compared to my wife's Titleist Players 4 and my Nike Sport Lite II it was terrible in comparison.

Not to mention upwards of .5lbs heavier than both, as well.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I had one for 2 days. It has possibly the worst and most useless lower pocket layout I've ever seen on a golf bag. You are forced to use small zip or tie bags to hold small items that other carry bags have pockets for such as tees and ball markers/etc.

Compared to my wife's Titleist Players 4 and my Nike Sport Lite II it was terrible in comparison.

Not to mention upwards of .5lbs heavier than both, as well.

i would highly disagree that it's the worst layout. It all works well but yes a little bag for tees and pencils works nices on the side pcoket. 

3 hours ago, woofelfin said:

i would highly disagree that it's the worst layout. It all works well but yes a little bag for tees and pencils works nices on the side pcoket. 

The cooler pocket sticks out too much and is very rigid due to the lining material. It’s very thin/tall and isn’t good for much on a golf bag except as a cooler. And the two additional side zippers around the cooler pocket have no liner in them and are basically just zippers into the bottom of the bag which make zero sense for storage. I guess some might disagree but to me that’s pretty bad.

The upper half of the bag is pretty good and the large pocket is okay as well.

Another negative is the strap system. Really bad in comparison to Nike or Titleist.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 12/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, jah7838 said:

I’ve had the Trooper R now for about a month and I actually really like the cooler pocket while playing. I can easily fit my snacks and 2 Gatorade squeeze bottles if I wanted to. 

The side pockets next to the cooler pocket do a good job in storing golf balls, tees, ball markers, tape and divot tool. 

I like to walk and carry sometimes, and I prefer the cooler pocket when walking. It’s easy to reach back when carrying to grab the water bottle and put it back. 

There is a pocket on the top right side of the bag that’s perfect for my range finder. Makes it easier to hide so it doesn’t get stolen from my bag, like it has in the past.  

I really can’t think of anything that I don’t like about the bag so far. 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:05 PM, 503Mike said:

I've had the Utility Trooper for a year now and I really like the cooler pocket. But at the end of the day it's just a pocket. You aren't required to use it for keeping things cold. If you want to stuff it full of balls it will work just fine. It's actually quite a large pocket, so if you aren't going to use it for drinks/snacks, then it provides a lot of additional carrying capacity.

curious how you guys like the shoulder straps? I just got my bag 2 weeks ago and its currently -35 here so I wont be using it anytime soon but the shoulder straps are really confusing to me.

The one that goes over the right shoulder is pretty tight and seems like it's geared towards a single strap carry, but the other strap for the left shoulder is way off. Im not sue if that is how it is supposed to feel but the right strap thick part of the padding is in a good spot and the left strap thick part of the padding is not anywhere near covering my shoulder

its definitely possible that I might just be an idiot but I cant get the thickest portion of the padding to cover both shoulders. it was so bad I even called customer service and he said their double strap system is different than most bags

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

I love my bag.  I use the cooler pocket to hold a valuables pouch of ball markers and divot tools, and my rangefinder.  I actually like the pocket because it balances the bag nicely.  I also like the small side pocket around it for balls.  Don’t need to carry a boatload of balls!  Looked at a lot of bags before buying this one, and happy with my choice.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:43 AM, JoeFrigo said:

curious how you guys like the shoulder straps? I just got my bag 2 weeks ago and its currently -35 here so I wont be using it anytime soon but the shoulder straps are really confusing to me.

The one that goes over the right shoulder is pretty tight and seems like it's geared towards a single strap carry, but the other strap for the left shoulder is way off. Im not sue if that is how it is supposed to feel but the right strap thick part of the padding is in a good spot and the left strap thick part of the padding is not anywhere near covering my shoulder

its definitely possible that I might just be an idiot but I cant get the thickest portion of the padding to cover both shoulders. it was so bad I even called customer service and he said their double strap system is different than most bags

They’re not my favorite straps to use on a bag that I’ve had, but I don’t hate them. They’re comfortable enough when carrying.

The 2nd strap can get annoying to reach back and grab at times. I just have to move it to the right spot before picking the bag up to get it over both shoulders. 

I don’t dislike them so much that I’m willing to get rid of the bag over it. The other design characteristics make it easier to get over the annoyance at times. 

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 12/23/2022 at 7:43 AM, JoeFrigo said:

You've nailed my only beef with the bag; the shoulder straps are wonky. I use a pushcart almost exclusively and made the mistake of taking both shoulder straps off right after I got the bag. Sometime later I played a round where I was going to carry and had to put the straps back on. It was a confusing mess and no matter what I did it felt like I was fat guy in a little coat every time I put both straps on. I've since made some peace with the straps and just leave them on so I don't have to go through the trauma of putting them back on in some usable arrangement again.

1 hour ago, 503Mike said:

You've nailed my only beef with the bag; the shoulder straps are wonky. I use a pushcart almost exclusively and made the mistake of taking both shoulder straps off right after I got the bag. Sometime later I played a round where I was going to carry and had to put the straps back on. It was a confusing mess and no matter what I did it felt like I was fat guy in a little coat every time I put both straps on. I've since made some peace with the straps and just leave them on so I don't have to go through the trauma of putting them back on in some usable arrangement again.

yea im so lost on how to make the straps fit comfortably. im only 5'10" 170lbs but its a very tight squeeze trying to double strap it

overall its very light and feels more balanced than my other vessel bags, but its complicated to even carry it from my trunk to the indoor simulator

I made the same mistake already unhooking both straps thinking something must have been wrong. now I have no idea which strap goes on top or how to even properly adjust it

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

• 1 month later...

I'm considering this as my second bag. I have a Sun Mountain cart bag, but finally got confirmed at Bandon for next summer ('24) and need a carry bag. 

How would you compare the Trouper to the Utility Stand Bag? I'll only carry 5-10 times per year so trying to determine if its worth the money. 

• 2 months later...

I really wanted to like this bag. My gripes with it come down to personal preferences/petty things that I didn't know I had until I bought this bag. First and foremost, the strap situation is weird. The straps are uncomfortable, bulky, and feel disconnected for me. If you mainly ride a cart when you play, then this really isn't a big deal.

Second thing, and I'm not sure if it's just my bag, but it does not stand upright. The kickstand legs work fine, but if I just wanted to have my bag stand up, it will lean slightly forward and eventually tips over. Compared to my beginner box set Wilson Ultra bag, the Wilson bag is able to stand up without any issues with all of my clubs and other things in it. 

Third, I think the zipper pockets are a little constrictive. Other than the two small valuable pockets, I feel like the pockets don't really open up as much as I would like. I do get having a small opening for the side ball pouch so that your balls don't fly out, but the big storage pocket where you would keep your rainhood and headcovers feels like it should open up more.

The one feature I do really like about the bag is the tee peg holder. I don't think it's advertised on the Jones website but there are these two straps near the top side of the bag and at first I thought it was purely cosmetic but I can fit four tees for quick, easy access. 

• 3 months later...

I've used the cooler pocket mainly for bulky and rarely-used items: sunscreen, bug spray and a pair of sunglasses in a case. 

Last week it was so hot that I finally used it to keep a couple of drinks cold. I let the cart girl put a couple scoops of ice in there with my Powerade and beer even though Jones doesn't recommend using loose ice. 

Assuming I might use the cooler pocket as intended again in the future, I just bought these long, skinny ice packs from Amazon. 

Now to remember to pull them from the freezer as I head to the course...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWTR3K8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 3 months later...

Bumping an old one but needed to chime in on my experience with the Jone trouper r

I have always played Ping Hoofers but I love the look of the Jones. After 1 season I can say I will never buy another jones.

Pros: the looks are great, very minimal simple looking which is what I love about it. A good carry bag, lightweight 

the offside pockets are nice, 2 valuables pocket and a large garment pocket. 
5 pocket layout 👍🏻👍🏻

Cons: the worst pocket layout. The cooler pocket is massive and while of course it isn’t a must to use it for that, however being insulated and very deep I find myself not using it often. The side slits on either side of the cooler are very frustrating, they’re sizable pockets but very tight and you must dig around blindly to find what you are looking for. 
The stand broke twice on mine, the plastic stopper and washers came off, Jones quickly replaced them but I’ve bever had a stand break like that. 
The most top heavy bag I’ve ever experienced, I don’t carry much in my bag as I walk/carry often and it always feels like the clubs are going to start to spill out. As a former caddy I cannot get past this. It irks me. 
The straps, they’re as awful as people are saying. Even after broke in they still slide around on your shoulders, often magnifying the top-heavy aspect. I went as far as buying their “new and improved” straps, and they’re marginally better. 

YMMV, however, I cannot recommend this bag to anybody who walks/carry even a few times a year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 5:46 PM, ryoustra5 said:

Bumping an old one but needed to chime in on my experience with the Jone trouper r

I have always played Ping Hoofers but I love the look of the Jones. After 1 season I can say I will never buy another jones.

Pros: the looks are great, very minimal simple looking which is what I love about it. A good carry bag, lightweight 

the offside pockets are nice, 2 valuables pocket and a large garment pocket. 
5 pocket layout 👍🏻👍🏻

Cons: the worst pocket layout. The cooler pocket is massive and while of course it isn’t a must to use it for that, however being insulated and very deep I find myself not using it often. The side slits on either side of the cooler are very frustrating, they’re sizable pockets but very tight and you must dig around blindly to find what you are looking for. 
The stand broke twice on mine, the plastic stopper and washers came off, Jones quickly replaced them but I’ve bever had a stand break like that. 
The most top heavy bag I’ve ever experienced, I don’t carry much in my bag as I walk/carry often and it always feels like the clubs are going to start to spill out. As a former caddy I cannot get past this. It irks me. 
The straps, they’re as awful as people are saying. Even after broke in they still slide around on your shoulders, often magnifying the top-heavy aspect. I went as far as buying their “new and improved” straps, and they’re marginally better. 

YMMV, however, I cannot recommend this bag to anybody who walks/carry even a few times a year. 

When I fist got mine it carried a little top heavy as well.

I started using the pocket on the right side of the cooler pocket for balls. I think that’s what this pocket was meant for as it extends down below the cooler pocket and that’s where most of the balls settle. 

The weight of the balls being at the opposite end of the bag from the club heads allows my bag to balance well. I usually carry 6 balls or so. 

I use the pocket on the left side of the cooler pocket for tees and ball markers. It’s perfect for that since it’s slim and tight and the tees stay where they’re easy to reach. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2023 at 6:15 PM, me05501 said:

When I fist got mine it carried a little top heavy as well.

I started using the pocket on the right side of the cooler pocket for balls. I think that’s what this pocket was meant for as it extends down below the cooler pocket and that’s where most of the balls settle. 

The weight of the balls being at the opposite end of the bag from the club heads allows my bag to balance well. I usually carry 6 balls or so. 

I use the pocket on the left side of the cooler pocket for tees and ball markers. It’s perfect for that since it’s slim and tight and the tees stay where they’re easy to reach. 

I agree. Along with putting balls in the side pocket going under the cooler pocket, I also use the cooler pocket for 1 or 2 water bottles. No issues with balance for me.

I think some people might have a hard time with the straps being independent rather than connected with a harness like a lot of brands? I don't have an issue with the straps and actually like them being independent because it is comfortable to single strap as well. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

4 hours ago, PNW said:

I agree. Along with putting balls in the side pocket going under the cooler pocket, I also use the cooler pocket for 1 or 2 water bottles. No issues with balance for me.

I think some people might have a hard time with the straps being independent rather than connected with a harness like a lot of brands? I don't have an issue with the straps and actually like them being independent because it is comfortable to single strap as well. 

Same. Straps don’t bother me at all. Took a little getting used to but love em. I have a Trouper 3 en route and curious to see what the strap upgrade entails

• Like 2

• 2 months later...