2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

True aim ball marker

Z1ggy16

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 12:13 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

People interested so far. I might miss a name or two, sorry in advance. 

Z1ggy16

Golfcrzy

Subfour34

Flubberlange

STank734

Retsof2021

3puttpar2

Marmot8

Madhoshi

Gr8_brandino

Jdubya13

CSagan

@Z1ggy16Please add me. 

@SE Gamer please share file dimensions? I might have a try at making one. I live in UK so trying to lower shipping cost

On 12/31/2022 at 4:13 AM, Z1ggy16 said:

Z1ggy16

Golfcrzy

Subfour34

Flubberlange

STank734

Retsof2021

3puttpar2

Marmot8

Madhoshi

Gr8_brandino

Jdubya13

CSagan

Peddy

Doaner84

JAMH03

I am interested in testing as well

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 7:13 AM, Z1ggy16 said:

Z1ggy16

Golfcrzy

Subfour34

Flubberlange

STank734

Retsof2021

3puttpar2

Marmot8

Madhoshi

Gr8_brandino

Jdubya13

CSagan

Peddy

Doaner84

JAMH03

Pgetzen

Drza3

Ac168

Cj3000

Please add me to the list.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 2/8/2023 at 4:22 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

Ok our list is at 20 players. Going to hold off on more requests for now since SEGamer is doing this in his free time, etc. 

We can open a larger list once we hear back from him.

Sorry guys. Lot of stuff going on. Last few weeks have been a blur. But now have some time. First batch is largely done.

Will post a more detailed post tonight after dinner with the family. 

Short version, they should be ready for purchase, with shipping out next week. 

Pic is of them painted. Used enamel paint (which should be pretty tough and hold up well). Applied it with a needle bottle. Overfilled each line and then will sand them down to clean up the wayward paint you can clearly see currently. 

1143541137_ScreenShot2023-02-10at5_55_04PM.png.854281feba43a0646cadfac3d4378f50.png

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Sorry guys. Lot of stuff going on. Last few weeks have been a blur. But now have some time. First batch is largely done.

Will post a more detailed post tonight after dinner with the family. 

Short version, they should be ready for purchase, with shipping out next week. 

Pic is of them painted. Used enamel paint (which should be pretty tough and hold up well). Applied it with a needle bottle. Overfilled each line and then will sand them down to clean up the wayward paint you can clearly see currently. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/77eb201fb57c5d7b71b40e7acbff78272325cf3e79ee7a18f51d4c5432ac90b7/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/77eb201fb57c5d7b71b40e7acbff78272325cf3e79ee7a18f51d4c5432ac90b7/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/1143541137_ScreenShot2023-02-10at5_55_04PM.png.854281feba43a0646cadfac3d4378f50.png

Looking great!! Appreciate it tons.

Pm the first guys on the list with the monetary topic... Probably don't want to post that here. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Well, I think that sums it up. Will send some PMs tomorrow to work out who still wants one. Feel free to post any other questions in this thread. As others may benefit from the discussion, and it'll hopefully mitigate too many duplicate PMs. 

Thanks guys!

You have absolutely no need to apologize!

The attention to detail is appreciated and I look forward to giving this a try. Well done!

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K w/ Black Tour 2.0 65X, 75X, or GDBB 6X

Ping G425 LST 3W Atmos Black 7X

Ping iCrossover 2 Atmos Black 9X or G425 5W GDBB8X/Atmos Black 8X or G425 2H Atmos Black HB 9X 

Ping iCrossover 3 (20º) AMT White S300 or ZZ65 or Atmos Black 9X

Ping i230 4-6 green dot, Blueprint S 7, Blueprint T 8, 9  AMT White S300

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46ºSS, 50º SS, 54º ES, 58º ES TI S400

Putter - depends on the phase of the moon

Caddy - Snacks the Wheaten

@Z1ggy16 Is your list from page 2 the most up to date for those interested. If so, is it in order from top to bottom?

Once you confirm, I'll start to get some PMs together for folks. Thinking I may throw in a couple of my "reactive" cups in each package.

What are those, you might ask? Well, they're designed for putting on carpet. Undersized by an inch (3.25" vs the standard 4.25" hole). And they kind of dance around when you roll a ball over them. Especially if you drill one right in the heart. Enlisted my 6 year old to show how they work...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SE Gamer said:

@Z1ggy16 Is your list from page 2 the most up to date for those interested. If so, is it in order from top to bottom?

Once you confirm, I'll start to get some PMs together for folks. Thinking I may throw in a couple of my "reactive" cups in each package.

What are those, you might ask? Well, they're designed for putting on carpet. Undersized by an inch (3.25" vs the standard 4.25" hole). And they kind of dance around when you roll a ball over them. Especially if you drill one right in the heart. Enlisted my 6 year old to show how they work...

IMG_5322.MOV 23.58 MB · 0 downloads  

Yes up to date and in order of people who asked. Design looking great, can't wait.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Again, apologies for the delay. Suffice it to say, it's been a busy few weeks. Even yesterday my plans of posting this more detailed update were foiled by a sick 5 month old. Nothing like getting puked on a couple times lol. 

Spent some time this evening doing all the sanding/finishing. And the first dozen are officially ready for new homes! With taht in mind, I figured I'd detail the design/build for those who are interested. 

So, as discussed, the final iteration contains an embedded rare earth button style magnet. Not only does this create a nice "heft" to it, but the magnet can serve a purpose for those who want to clip it to something metallic. To give you an idea of what this design looks like prior to assembly, below is a design pic of the two halves.

1734535039_ScreenShot2023-02-12at1_28_04AM.png.bc51f0d7621e3e9c2d004d91da383dde.png

Since each is printed in two parts, the design included some indexing posts to aid in aligning the two halves together. On that note, I like to overbuild things. So the final assembly is bonded in two ways. First with CA Glue (very common and effective for 3d prints). Which alone would be more than adequate. But, again, I like security. So once glued, I then "welded" the seam with a soldering iron. While this might not be the best for perfect cosmetics, I prefer to not take any chances with one coming apart. And this method makes it virtually impossible to disassemble. Short of you actively trying to destroy it. It's never coming apart.

As mentioned, the result of "welding" means that it looks like a weld (go figure). But the sides serve no cosmetic function. So I'm assuming folks will be happy with the trade-off of function over form in this regard. Still, I want to represent these properly. So below is a pic of what the welded seam will look like. I even tried to capture the least visually appealing weld of the bunch.

1366968366_ScreenShot2023-02-12at1_37_42AM.png.1f382d1d905815bf048b75f719d692a9.png

Once they were all assembled, it was on to painting. As mentioned in my last post, I opted for an enamel paint. Little more expensive, but should hold up really well. In the event a touch up were ever needed, I used Testors brand if anyone is interested (GL Red, FL White, and GL Light Blue).

For painting, I used a needle bottle. With little care for staying in the lines. As once it all dried (which takes 48-ish hours for this type of paint), I was going to sand it down. I hand sanded each one in ascending grits from 240 to 1,200 so that there'd be a nice smooth finish. Below is a pic of a "raw" one next to another done with the first sanding grit. Then another pic of the final sanding. 

1080828145_ScreenShot2023-02-12at1_44_44AM.png.e717a1465ed035bca14b386c9b04f053.png

194298328_ScreenShot2023-02-12at1_44_18AM.png.45a4d45fe65e7b0c15c92c50494ea4f1.png

And that's about the gist of it. A dozen markers ready to go. Beyond the above, I figure folks will potentially have two questions. 

1) How accurate are the indexing lines, comparatively, to the OEM model?

2) How strong is the magnet?

As for question 1, a picture will hopefully tell the story. Below is my CAD design, overlaid on an image of the metal version. Biggest difference is mine has a slightly larger front to back footprint to accommodate the large button style magnet.

1907049113_ScreenShot2023-02-12at1_49_21AM.png.6e1bce432a7902f8ca42a37efe04023f.png

As for question 2, I took the very non-professional video of the marker attracting a 3/8" bolt with 6 nuts threaded onto it. I even put it on a scale, and the bolt/nuts came out to nearly 1/4 lb. Bottom line, the magnets I used are pretty darn strong. For some added security, if anyone is interested, I can throw a strip of friction tape on the back of the marker. Just so that it won't slide around whatever surface as easily. 

Well, I think that sums it up. Will send some PMs tomorrow to work out who still wants one. Feel free to post any other questions in this thread. As others may benefit from the discussion, and it'll hopefully mitigate too many duplicate PMs. 

Thanks guys!

Those turned out incredible. Great Job!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

On 2/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, SE Gamer said:

Sent a message to everyone on @Z1ggy16's list from page 2. 

Feel free to reach out if you weren't on the above list and are interested in one. Thanks!

Really like to get in on this. Been wanting to try this. I use Aim Point some and this could be very helpful. Great job on yours!! Please let me know how to get one of yours. 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Really like to get in on this. Been wanting to try this. I use Aim Point some and this could be very helpful. Great job on yours!! Please let me know how to get one of yours. 

Think there are a couple other folks who have experience with Aim Point. Will be interesting to see how this marker can pair with and/or enhance that process. 

FWIW, I'm working on a chart that'll illustrate the point of aim (POA) in relation to the hole for putts of varying length; based on the indexing line selected.

Shared this with @Z1ggy16. Very early and still needs a lot of work. But hopefully it'll illustrate what I'm aiming for.

1031819073_ScreenShot2023-02-13at3_41_05PM.png.f16249c785c9fb5ac0cbde9b727805a2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:02 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

Let's get a tester list going here... Not sure how to do it, maybe if you're interested, do an @ mention to SE Gamer? 

@SE Gamer Id love to try.  Someone gave me the SC version where it goes in front of the ball, not a fan of that, but like the idea of the concept.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

@SE Gamer Id love to try.  Someone gave me the SC version where it goes in front of the ball, not a fan of that, but like the idea of the concept.

Send me a message and I'll give you the details. Printed a dozen in the first batch (all claimed), but have a new batch started that'll be available very soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Think there are a couple other folks who have experience with Aim Point. Will be interesting to see how this marker can pair with and/or enhance that process. 

FWIW, I'm working on a chart that'll illustrate the point of aim (POA) in relation to the hole for putts of varying length; based on the indexing line selected.

Shared this with @Z1ggy16. Very early and still needs a lot of work. But hopefully it'll illustrate what I'm aiming for.

1031819073_ScreenShot2023-02-13at3_41_05PM.png.f16249c785c9fb5ac0cbde9b727805a2.png

Weather is supposed to be nice here tomorrow, I will try to do some testing. I will get my digital level out and see if I can get some good comparisons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vokeys SM9 56,60

3 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Weather is supposed to be nice here tomorrow, I will try to do some testing. I will get my digital level out and see if I can get some good comparisons. 

Interested to hear bc the main thing I want to confirm is how much slope percentage each line corresponds to. I'm praying it's 1* bc otherwise I'd need to retrain myself on how to equate slope to POA, which in this case would be the lines on the marker. Currently, for aimpoint each finger width is roughly 1* of slope.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Interested to hear bc the main thing I want to confirm is how much slope percentage each line corresponds to. I'm praying it's 1* bc otherwise I'd need to retrain myself on how to equate slope to POA, which in this case would be the lines on the marker. Currently, for aimpoint each finger width is roughly 1* of slope.

Thinking I'm going to chalk line on the green using the marker then measure off 5' and 10' then measure % slope to see how close it comes. For me aimpoint has never been exact anyway you still have to calculate for putt speed and uphill or downhill. So, there are still variables that need to be accounted for. 

• Like 1

Vokeys SM9 56,60

17 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Thinking I'm going to chalk line on the green using the marker then measure off 5' and 10' then measure % slope to see how close it comes. For me aimpoint has never been exact anyway you still have to calculate for putt speed and uphill or downhill. So, there are still variables that need to be accounted for. 

Very good point about the nuance and variables in any "system". For instance, I have a putting area set up throughout my office/sim room. One particular putt is right about 10 feet, with a nice break to it. And there are two very different ways to go about holing the putt. One is to start it around 2-3" outside the hole, and hit it with some good pace. The other way is to throw it about 10" outside the hole and let it die down into the hole. 

Really hoping once folks get some use with these that we can start sharing tips/tricks. But I do think each will kind of have to adapt it to their specific environment, tendencies, preferences, etc.

• Thanks 1