2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

It was the weirdest round. My first nine I hit it so so bad, putted great. Then I kind of found something on the turn and had birdie putts of 13’, 13’, and 14’ and three putted two of them and played them two over. At that point I knew I was out of it and then I lost that ball on 5 and kind of gave up on that hole and really just wanted to walk off but I hung in there to finish the round. It’s the kind of round that makes you not want to play for a while. But I do want to figure my driver out. I’m driving it so so bad this year. 

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

13 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

It was me! I had to play with him! Super nice guy, but he played comically bad. People were ducking for their lives left and right. He had plenty of time to hit all 114 though as we were waiting on every shot. It was not a good experience. The par was a screaming chip in on the first hole of the day that hit the middle of the pin hard. It was all downhill after that. By the time I lost my ball on 5, I was super over it. 

OK I am super curious about this guy. From what you could tell, did he seem like a normally-decent player who just completely blacked out and forgot how to play? Or was he a terrible player who signed up for craps and giggles?

edit: I think its hilarious the forum edited craps and giggles to craps and giggles.

Edited by Hardrain
spelling
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dancin said:

Not bad Joel. Only missed playoff by 2. I pity whoever had to play with this poor soul who shot 114. At least they got 1 par.

https://www.golfgenius.com/tournaments2/details/1426250888?round_index=&player_stats_for_portal=true

Whoaa Whoaa....there is nothing wrong with a 114.  The way my first two range session have gone I might take that...!  🤣

Edited by CDM
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

The 114 shooter didn't have a handicap before this tournament and the tournament score is the only thing he has posted. Very strange.

There is nothing wrong with not posting scores....    😃 🤣

Edit: wonder if a friend or someone put him up to it to play the event...

Edited by CDM

12 minutes ago, Hardrain said:

Just had a thought...everyone hates how long the CGA events take and some of us know how miserable a slog it is when you don't play well and know you won't make the cut/qualify.  CGA should offer something like a $25 credit toward a future event for players who want to bail after 9. Speed up pace of play!!

0 chance the CGA would give up money to improve pace of play

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hardrain said:

OK I am super curious about this guy. From what you could tell, did he seem like a normally-decent player who just completely blacked out and forgot how to play? Or was he a terrible player who signed up for craps and giggles?

He said he was returning to golf after a 14 year break. Probably not the best place to do that. But again, he didn't hold anybody up, which is saying something.

• Like 3

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

3 hours ago, Hardrain said:

Just had a thought...everyone hates how long the CGA events take and some of us know how miserable a slog it is when you don't play well and know you won't make the cut/qualify.  CGA should offer something like a $25 credit toward a future event for players who want to bail after 9. Speed up pace of play!!

I very seriously considered walking off after my 9 on 5 (my 14th). The parking lot was right there, and there was absolutely no point in me playing the final four holes, other than I guess that's what you're supposed to do? Never give up! At that point we were already 4 hours in with 4 holes to play. 

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

55 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

He said he was returning to golf after a 14 year break. Probably not the best place to do that. But again, he didn't hold anybody up, which is saying something.

Ha. I haven't played for 14 years, but no point in wasting time playing locally somewhere. I'll just sign up for this CGA amateur qualifier and go to the range a couple times. I'm sure the game hasn't left me.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

Bobby, your Driver explanation in your signature is world class.

Haha, I am in serious self-pity, self-flagellation mode. I am usually a proponent of positive self-talk, and I will become a much better driver of the ball, but I think there are appopriate times to wallow in misery. All part of the process.

31 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Ha. I haven't played for 14 years, but no point in wasting time playing locally somewhere. I'll just sign up for this CGA amateur qualifier and go to the range a couple times. I'm sure the game hasn't left me.

I think the group behind us had it the worst. If you're familiar with Collindale... on the par three eighth (used to be the 17th), his tee shot went right over the 7th green where one dude was putting and he had to back off of it. Next hole, the group behind us is on the eighth green, my man pull blasts a drive off nine right past their heads again, whacks those trees that line the creek, ball goes bouncing back by the eighth green, he tried to hit his second shot literally through that same wall of trees, it hits the trees, goes straight down into the creek, all while they are putting, his fourth shot he goes straight back through the wall of trees and miraculously it gets through them, fifth advances up the fairway to about 150 out, sixth is shanked over by the putting green, seventh comes up short of the green, eighth past, two putt for ten. Those were pretty typical holes.

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

That's just insane. I'm leaning towards CDM's assumption that his buddies must have had a bet where he got something for putting himself through that. If not the guy must be mentally damaged somehow. You're paying double or more what it would cost to play the course on a normal day to torture yourself.

Does the CGA at least prevent idiots like this from entering future events without proof of improvement like the USGA does?

Edited by Dancin

15 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Haha, I am in serious self-pity, self-flagellation mode. I am usually a proponent of positive self-talk, and I will become a much better driver of the ball, but I think there are appopriate times to wallow in misery. All part of the process.

I think the group behind us had it the worst. If you're familiar with Collindale... on the par three eighth (used to be the 17th), his tee shot went right over the 7th green where one dude was putting and he had to back off of it. Next hole, the group behind us is on the eighth green, my man pull blasts a drive off nine right past their heads again, whacks those trees that line the creek, ball goes bouncing back by the eighth green, he tried to hit his second shot literally through that same wall of trees, it hits the trees, goes straight down into the creek, all while they are putting, his fourth shot he goes straight back through the wall of trees and miraculously it gets through them, fifth advances up the fairway to about 150 out, sixth is shanked over by the putting green, seventh comes up short of the green, eighth past, two putt for ten. Those were pretty typical holes.

WOW.... !  So as your watching this unfold hole after hole what is going through your head?

On 6/21/2023 at 7:14 PM, Dancin said:

That's just insane. I'm leaning towards CDM's assumption that his buddies must have had a bet where he got something for putting himself through that. If not the guy must be mentally damaged somehow. You're paying double or more what it would cost to play the course on a normal day to torture yourself.

Does the CGA at least prevent idiots like this from entering future events without proof of improvement like the USGA does?

So was the event full? 

if it was not some form of a bet, I am wondering did he show up to play and they said sorry we have an event but we have openings and he jumped in.....?

Edited by CDM

13 hours ago, Dancin said:

Not to my knowledge. All you need is a credit card! Shame and dignity should filter out, like it's going to filter me out, until I figure out my driver...

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

First golf round of the summer in Sweden is on Sunday. I'm mentally preparing myself for a similar 114. My in-law's course is so bleepin' difficult unless you can consistently throw straight darts at the target.

Edited by pseudoswede

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

23 hours ago, Dancin said:

For those who have played Eagle Ranch, is it a manageable walk with pushcart? For reference I consider walking Fox Hollow, Walnut Creek and BN no problem. TPC Colorado is a little bit of a slog since it ends up being more like 19 holes due to transitions, but I still consider it not bad at all.

Sonnenalp is SICK and a good (but not great) walk.

3 hours ago, CDM said:

So was the event full? 

if it was not some form of a bet, I am ondering did he show up to play and they said sorry we have an event but we have openings and he jumped in.....?

Ha. CGA (and usga for that matter) events don't work that way. Basically they take over the course till 2-4pm with however many people signed up and the course can't do anything until the CGA tells them they are done for the day. There is no showing up and playing. Registration usually ends about a week or so before the event.

Edited by Dancin

On 6/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Sounds like they'll play the Purple Tees (listed at 7,759 on the scorecard). I think that sounds about right. That course plays too short from blues and, on the other hand, the tour tees are pretty insane (there are a couple holes with a forced 290 carry over sage brush scrub, a couple par threes that would play 275 over canyons, etc.).  I think that's also smart to play native areas as lateral hazards. Will be interesting to see how that works out. I think one of the biggest issues would be whether you can say for sure that your ball is in a native area. Probably most of the time it will be obvious, but sometimes you're not sure where exactly it went or went in or if it went in at all(blind tee shot) and it can be surprising because of some of the slopes and hillocks. It should speed up play for sure, but I wonder about rules controversies...

Joel, are you autoqualified? I'm signed up for the one on Tuesday at Collindale, although I'm not sure I will be able to play even if I qualify, but I'd still like to try adn then see what happens.

I was talking with one of the guys I play with the other night and remembered your post. He’s the first alternate and I mentioned you had said they were going to play from something close to 7,800 yards. He was not thrilled with that news. 

17 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I was talking with one of the guys I play with the other night and remembered your post. He’s the first alternate and I mentioned you had said they were going to play from something close to 7,800 yards. He was not thrilled with that news. 

Haha, I could see that. If they play 2, 4, or 5 from Purple Tees, my calculations are that it would be around a 230-250 forced carry over the scrub (barranca?) to get to where the fairway starts. I could see a few guys who score low enough to play in that event with very consistent, straight tee shots and approach shots and iron shots who, nonetheless, don't have the distance off the tee to reliably fly it 250...

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 6/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yo Joel, sorry I didn't stick around. Tee time was 8:21, turned in my scorecard at 1:35, well past my allotted hooky time. Terrible, terrible slow round. Totally lost focus and interest. Also, I suck. I was 1/14 on fairways. Had an inexplicable lost ball on 5 (my 14th) that did me in. F that qualifier. So brutal. How'd you do?

No worries man. I struck it decent but I flat out couldn't make a putt from anywhere. Record-setting 7 lip-outs for me, whomp whomp.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, Dancin said:

Not bad Joel. Only missed playoff by 2. I pity whoever had to play with this poor soul who shot 114. At least they got 1 par.

https://www.golfgenius.com/tournaments2/details/1426250888?round_index=&player_stats_for_portal=true

Brutal. The two guys that shot 95 and 97 were in front of me and were behind pace early on until about 4 holes into our second nine.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

OMG. That. is. brual. I just noticed the last name and figured maybe he was Parker Edens' brother.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:14 PM, Dancin said:

I have no idea if the CGA does this. I was also under the impression that there was a handicap minimum to even register. Maybe that isn't the case?!

On 6/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, Dancin said:

Ha. CGA (and usga for that matter) events don't work that way. Basically they take over the course till 2-4pm with however many people signed up and the course can't do anything until the CGA tells them they are done for the day. There is no showing up and playing. Registration usually ends about a week or so before the event.

This is partially true. Most all of this statement is true except for "the course can't do anything until the CGA tells them they are done for the day." I don't know how it really works but I can say one thing, public play heads out after the last group tees off. I saw public playing before we were done and I had a middle tee time, not one of the last ones.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

I heard this news directly from Lewis, who is the tournament director for the CGA. Sean Thomas and I were chatting with him for about 20 minutes after we got knocked out of the match play on the Tuesday before last.

Just got back from a long golf trip in northern Michigan at Treetops. Northern Michigan has some awesome resorts with multiple courses and their stay and play packages are quite inexpensive.  We do a trip every year with 20 of us and rotate resorts. Definitely a great time. It's a nice change playing at sea level despite not having my distances fully dialed in. Rather than hitting driver a handful a times per round as I do in CO, you end up hitting it nearly every par 4 and 5, and don't have a wedge in hand for your approach. Played decent but not great though I did have a kick in eagle, played remarkably well from the sand with two sand saves, and drove the ball well until my driver shaft broke 🤬. Fortunately, that didn't happen until the final round on the front 9. 

With that, I now need to get a new shaft. Do you know any fitters that don't use a universal system to fit their shafts? I have last years Cobra LTDx LS which I'm guessing most fitters don't have anymore with this years Aerojet. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

7 hours ago, Joelness said:

I heard this news directly from Lewis, who is the tournament director for the CGA. Sean Thomas and I were chatting with him for about 20 minutes after we got knocked out of the match play on the Tuesday before last.

He’s obviously a good player. But 7,800 is going to a big obstacle for him. I think he told me he’s hitting about 280. 250+ carry is going to be a task to do consistently.