2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2023 Hanwha Lifeplus International Crown, May 4-7

18majors

I expected to pay little attention yesterday given that the final four was all but decided before play began, but instead found it engrossing.  England fought hard, the Chinese players were super clutch and the US/Sweden matches were close.  I'm not surprised that the Koreans and Japanese groups were given little coverage, with that pool being decided on Friday.  Bummer for their fans and those of Australia and Thailand.

Tried to guess the lineups for today just for fun.  Nailed Thailand but was not perfect on any of the other teams.  I'm most surprised by Sweden, I would have probably gone with Nordquist/Hedwall in the foursomes and had Stark and Sagstrom play solo instead of the other way around.  Correctly guessed Kang would play foursomes but I thought she'd remain paired with Lexi.  Was straight up guessing with Australia, expected Kyriacou to play foursomes but nope.

As usual I'm not forking out the few dollars to subscribe to Peacock so I'lll miss the semifinals, but that's okay since I'm playing golf this afternoon anyway and would just end up watching a recording later if it was on NBC/TGC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, postfold said:

I expected to pay little attention yesterday given that the final four was all but decided before play began, but instead found it engrossing.  England fought hard, the Chinese players were super clutch and the US/Sweden matches were close.  I'm not surprised that the Koreans and Japanese groups were given little coverage, with that pool being decided on Friday.  Bummer for their fans and those of Australia and Thailand.

Tried to guess the lineups for today just for fun.  Nailed Thailand but was not perfect on any of the other teams.  I'm most surprised by Sweden, I would have probably gone with Nordquist/Hedwall in the foursomes and had Stark and Sagstrom play solo instead of the other way around.  Correctly guessed Kang would play foursomes but I thought she'd remain paired with Lexi.  Was straight up guessing with Australia, expected Kyriacou to play foursomes but nope.

As usual I'm not forking out the few dollars to subscribe to Peacock so I'lll miss the semifinals, but that's okay since I'm playing golf this afternoon anyway and would just end up watching a recording later if it was on NBC/TGC.

I believe you can watch the streaming with LPGA website,  go to video, and then Live. The trick is that you need VPN. I have been watching with VPN set to Kiyv, Ukraine.

I am willing to pay $20 a month for the Golf Channel if they allows it. I not going to pay $80 for Cable to get the GC.

Edited by khalespace
  • Like 1

Even though I spent two days at the event, I just can't finish watching with this coverage.  It is so awful.  There are only so many shots happening on the course, but we're seeing maybe half in between commercial breaks every 7 minutes.  I've seen only one leaderboard showing the current state of all matches in 45 minutes.  I'm not asking for the big LIV style leaderboard on the left side of the screen, but common, give us some info on a frequent basis. That way I can keep the super low-key commentary on mute.

Edited by subrew
  • Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

22 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I love matchplay, played lots in my (half decent) amateur life in Oz. It's a staple in the UK and commonwealth (and plenty in the US, too).

The Solheim is my favourite event. Think about that, I'm an Aussie, why would that interest me? Why, it's just the best golf 'theatre', I have no Euro/US bias, just love the best matchplay women's golf.

I've enjoyed this Crown event so far but the format is so flawed: the England team debacle and a virtually dead rubber 3rd day...WTF?

Mike Whan is just wrong, we need a women's President's cup with an America's team (yes, Mike, an America's team, so what if there is no America's flag, the UK is no longer part of the EU and each Euro country's player drapes themselves in their country's flag anyway).

Think about an America's team with the best US players plus say Brooke, Gabby Lopez and maybe Maddie Szeryk in the 12 (all who will have some US fan following anyway), vs an international (non-Euro) team with Lydia, Minjee, Jeeno plus the top Koreans, Japanese, maybe Ash Buhai?

That will be a terrific contest. Alternate years to the Solheim, US players get to represent their country every year. Simply the best women's golf, probably even better than the Solheim considering the strength of Asian players.

This Crown event is too flawed, its ok but can be so much better.

Ok, so I have lurked on this forum for over six years, and your comment brought me out of the woodwork.

As a Thai golf fan, I consider your proposal an insult.

If you ask people from the Asian parts of the world: why do we care about golf? After money and winning, the answer would be ‘for the pride of our nation.’ Se Ri, Ai Miyazato, Ariya, Yuka Saso - they are symbols that we belong in a world that always tell us that we don’t. And in women’s golf, we have done enough.

Since 2013, Korea’s 12th best player have been better than the US’s median player at Solheim selection in every year but 2015 (barely) and 2021. Japan as one nation is not much worse than Europe as a continent, and Thailand have six players in the top 100. We have done enough to not be relegated to an ‘international’ team that has to include Australia and New Zealand, that involves putting US-equal Korea with their hated enemy Japan. And for what reason? Because North America is somehow so exceptional that they get to form their own team no matter what?

The International Crown can bring the crowd. We have seen it in 2018, and yesterday Korean fans are lining tee to green to see their eliminated team play. Mike Whan might not get it perfect, but he is very much right on this call. If you want a team-on-team theatre, I suggest drawing the line at West vs East. America + Europe vs the Rest of the World. Now that would be something more appropriate.

Getting tight. U.S. not ready to play for 3rd place just yet. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

17 minutes ago, khalespace said:

Wow, didn't expect this comeback after 9 holes.

Spoke too soon. Ariya was clutch. Birdie on the 17th, and she outdrove Nelly on the 18th. 

Congrats to Thailand. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

3 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Hindsight, but why not put Nelly in singles ? I'd feel good with her and Vu giving my team the best chance to win .. 

I think because of no Captain.  Nelly isn't going out and say I am the #1 player,  I should play single. It is also hard for Lilia to say the same. Danielle and Lexi should have volunteered to play foursomes because they weren't playing well. They are repeating the same mistake in the consolation match.

Edited by khalespace
  • Like 2

Tough call on the final. Thailand could really use a victory. Moriya and Ariya haven't really been on their game recently. Patty is trending, but still aways from her peak form. Athaya has been the best of the bunch, but still oh so close too many times. A win would do them all wonders 

Minjee has had an awful season. Hannah was meh until last week. Sarah barely eaked out a spot on the team and Stephanie best finish this year was T38. A win would really be a shot in the arm. 

Looking forward to a great match 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Ariya and Moriya volatile? 

I'd say that's fairly accurate. Moriya has one top 10 this season, but missed her last two cuts. 

Ariya has missed the cut in two of her last three starts, and has a pair of T14s. Trending up, but still spotty. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I'd say that's fairly accurate. Moriya has one top 10 this season, but missed her last two cuts. 

Ariya has missed the cut in two of her last three starts, and has a pair of T14s. Trending up, but still spotty. 

Volatility I mean they can shoot a 76 almost as easily as a 68.  Ariya is more volatile IMO where even if she is riding a 68 she turns it into a 72.  Moriya much less so, she has bad rounds but if she has a good round she doesn't let it go.  Also, both can paint their scorecard red if you know what I mean lol  This matter much less in this format. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

A win would really be a shot in the arm

A win, any win is great for any tour players!

But, it isn't an official win for any member of the winning team.  In Gee Chun is listed as having 4 LPGA wins, it didn't include her team's triumph at 2018 International Crown.

To put insult to injury:

Race to the CME Globe: 0 Points

• Like 3

Was Pau Gasol the only celebrity in attendance this week?

I know Condi Rice has been involved with the KPMG, has she been on site this week?

Was there any friendly chatter back and forth between any Korean & Japan government official this week? Any friendly wager, if that is something they do within their cultures? 

The interaction with the Giants with Minjee, Hannah and Danielle was great. If I'm not mistaken the LPGA has had interactions with the Giants for several years. 

We learned from the pre event press conferences that Rouning Yin is a big Steph Curry fan. She has attended previous games and went to the playoff game Thursday. My question is between Nike, Puma, Red Bull, ADP, Chevron, the State of California, the LPGA, the USGA and Michelle Wie, Team USA couldn't get floor seats at the Warriors playoff game? It would have been a nice team building event, created a lot of social media buzz and helped raise the profile of the athletes.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Volatility I mean they can shoot a 76 almost as easily as a 68.  Ariya is more volatile IMO where even if she is riding a 68 she turns it into a 72.  Moriya much less so, she has bad rounds but if she has a good round she doesn't let it go.  Also, both can paint their scorecard red if you know what I mean lol  This matter much less in this format. 

I see your points. That is accurate. But I'm thinking they're fairly steady when they play together. 

• Like 1