2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Old School Shafts

jholz

7 minutes ago, rbpwrx said:

I find stiffer and lighter is the ticket for driver. Since the shaft is light, swingweight goes up, which makes it FEEL softer. But dispersion is tight. YMMV.

Yeah, I went that way several years ago. Tried an Xcaliber SL TX - but just couldn't get that thing to work. I know I shouldn't take a single experience as a baseline.

But, I think with more knowledge these days, I might be able to make a better choice. Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

43 minutes ago, jholz said:

But, would love to tame the curve just a bit. Is the only option going stiffer/heavier?

How consistent is the curve?   Is the miss/curve one sided or two sided?   If one sided, which side?

With respect to possible equipment changes (as opposed to swing changes) only testing will tell.  But heavier could potentially apply to both shaft weight or head weight.   Playing length is also always a potential option to work with when it comes to dispersion and shot shape (face) control.  And shorter length doesn't always mean less distance if it improves consistency of face impact.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

How consistent is the curve?   Is the miss/curve one sided or two sided?   If one sided, which side?

With respect to possible equipment changes (as opposed to swing changes) only testing will tell.  But heavier could potentially apply to both shaft weight or head weight.   Playing length is also always a potential option to work with when it comes to dispersion and shot shape (face) control.  And shorter length doesn't always mean less distance if it improves consistency of face impact.

Yeah, I already go shorter (44" playing length) and mess around with head and swing weights quite a bit - lead tape is my friend.

And yes, I have a strong one way miss - draw side - but I can throw the occasional fade side miss in there too. It's just really tough to get a straight ball. 

When I went softer - those misses were larger.

So, the idiot in me tells me that stiffer might make them smaller.

Ultimately, I know the answer is always..."it depends."

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

or
or

1 hour ago, jholz said:

Yeah, I went that way several years ago. Tried an Xcaliber SL TX - but just couldn't get that thing to work. I know I shouldn't take a single experience as a baseline.

But, I think with more knowledge these days, I might be able to make a better choice. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I wouldn't rely too much on one experience. I've gone throughmaybe a dozen low-low TX Shafts to stumble upon an OG Grafalloy Blue X, tipped to the hilt. Actually broke the head off a 905S bore-thru, and stuck the remainder in an old Taylormade 300ti head. So I basically have a driver the length of a 3W, with the head of a mini, the weight of a child's toy, and the stiffness of an X7 SW. it's crazy how well I'm hitting it. I think the combination of short, light, and extremely stiff means that the head doesn't lag behind me at all. I'm using it as a training club, but honestly, it might go in my bag. Might only need one hybrid and then I'm into my irons. Point is, experiments can get you the right fit. Sometimes extreme experiments! Best of luck 🙂 

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

49 minutes ago, jholz said:

Yeah, I already go shorter (44" playing length) and mess around with head and swing weights quite a bit - lead tape is my friend.

And yes, I have a strong one way miss - draw side - but I can throw the occasional fade side miss in there too. It's just really tough to get a straight ball. 

When I went softer - those misses were larger.

So, the idiot in me tells me that stiffer might make them smaller.

Ultimately, I know the answer is always..."it depends."

I've found that 70-something grams is as low as I can go with any wood, including driver; 80g+ is even better.  I have a Phenom NL 60 (67g raw) that I've used, and I have to really back off it to avoid hitting huge sweeping draws or hooks with it.  

The Phenom NL is an X, and I can tell I'm not overloading it.  I've played it anywhere from D5 to D8 or D9, no dice.

Perhaps you just need a little extra shaft weight.  <shrug>

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, jholz said:

Yeah, I guess I'm looking for something that hits the sweet spot between dispersion and distance. I get better dispersion with stiffer shafts, but feel like I give up distance.

So, I try to play my 3w and hybrids very stiff/heavy. They are precision clubs.

Then, I'm willing to get a bit loose with the driver. It's more of a distance club.

This is my general theory.

But, this looseness is killing me. I miss fairways by 6". Every ball curves. Tough to produce a straight shot.

Currently have a stock PX Cypher in 6.0. It is a fine shaft. Well married with the head.

But, would love to tame the curve just a bit. Is the only option going stiffer/heavier?

It's probably not worth gaining a couple yards, if you lose control and accuracy with it.  Try a different outlook and get a driver setup as a precision club.  I would be shocked if your average score is any higher with it...and not surprised at all if they are lower

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

It's probably not worth gaining a couple yards, if you lose control and accuracy with it.  Try a different outlook and get a driver setup as a precision club.  I would be shocked if your average score is any higher with it...and not surprised at all if they are lower

I actually ordered an X stiff Aldila NV 2kxv to play around with. Roughly $60.

• Like 2

or
or

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Green or Blue?

I loved the blue - just now wish they had a version in the ~50 gm range.

I got the Green. I've got previous experience with the original NV Green, so decided to stick with something familiar.

or
or

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to revive this one a little bit.

My new Aldila NV 2KXV came in yesterday. X Flex. ~$54 from Golfworks on sale. Relatively cheap experiment.

Also found out I might have another, slightly more exotic, option on the way too - I'm pretty excited about it and more to follow soon.

So, I'll get the NV 2KXV on the course this weekend and you can look forward to some additional musings on this topic coming sometime relatively soon. 

• Like 3

or
or

I was able to get an adapter installed on the NV 2KXV yesterday evening and got it out to the range after work today.

Could notice a big difference between the X Flex NV the R Flex V2 as well as against the stock Project X Cypher 6.0 that I've played for over a year now.

The NV X feels tight and controlled. My dispersion was greatly improved. While I could still manage to bend a ball deliberately or with a bad swing - the vast majority of shots were straight. What a difference.

Now, I just have to wait until Sunday to get it on the course and compare distances. Should be an interesting round and I will update.

• Like 3

or
or

Over the years I got tired of the look of 440+cc heads, so I picked up a Titleist 975J for giggles. I immediately fell in love with the head shape, size, and feel. And it’s only 10-15 yards shorter than my previous Ping G400. I had played a modern 76g Proforce V2 in that, so I first tried a 975J with Proforce Gold 75. At the same time I really came to love the True Temper EI-70 shaft in 975F fairways, so I picked up a 975J with that shaft as well. The EI-70 won easily. It made the Proforce Gold feel like a lifeless board while also launching lower.  Quite the combination. I’m glad to hear some other folks like playing these classics too.

• Like 1

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

4W| TM V Steel 16.5* DG S300

2i | Ben Hogan ‘99 Apex DG S300

3-P| Maxfli DP-801 DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Maxfli TM-11

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

16 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

Over the years I got tired of the look of 440+cc heads, so I picked up a Titleist 975J for giggles. I immediately fell in love with the head shape, size, and feel. And it’s only 10-15 yards shorter than my previous Ping G400. I had played a modern 76g Proforce V2 in that, so I first tried a 975J with Proforce Gold 75. At the same time I really came to love the True Temper EI-70 shaft in 975F fairways, so I picked up a 975J with that shaft as well. The EI-70 won easily. It made the Proforce Gold feel like a lifeless board while also launching lower.  Quite the combination. I’m glad to hear some other folks like playing these classics too.

EI-70 was a great shaft in the 975J.  That was the first driver I could hit consistently.  983K is a great driver as well - in-between the 975J and 905R in size.  It was a bomber as well - the stock Titleist Speeder in the 983K was a sneaky good stock shaft for its day.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Just wanted to update a bit here...

I've officially prepped two aftermarket shafts now and successfully installed adapters. I feel like I've learned a few things. But beyond that...

Got the Aldila NV 2KVX (65 X) in play for two rounds this weekend. For ~$54, I've got to say that it is a decent buy. Very reminiscent of the original NV - very stable and predictable through the swing. I had one short range session with it initially and put it directly in play. The transition from my old shaft was not a problem. 

On the course - I do think the X flex has helped tighten up my dispersion a bit. Distance did not seem to be overly impacted. Nice mid-ball flight. Feels find through the swing. Had a great driving day the first round - and some swing faults started to creep into the second - but overall I was very pleased.

I'd have to say that given the price - it's a damn fine shaft - and my little experiment continues. Something exotic coming soon...

• Like 2

or
or

• 1 month later...

Years ago I was loving the True Temper EI-70.  I suppose it would be a bit heavy for some these days.  Currently, I'm hitting NV Green NEXGEN, albeit in 55 regular vice the heavier stiff I played in younger days.   I'd happily try an EI-70 again just for fun, though.

Edited by ohioglfr

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I would not call it an OG shaft but UST Attas MK - aka Element Earth is still a great shaft. Even compared with current shafts in the market. 

About 10 years ago, after going through tons of shaft, I settled on UST Attas MK shaft.  When I say tons, I mean tons including Oban Kiyoshi White which at that time was hot shaft along with Devotion.  Fujikura Rombax Z and W, Fuel TS, Motore F1 2.0 (Tour issue), Motore F1 65, Motore Speeder 6.2, Aldila Rip Alpha, Phenom NL, Matrix 7M3 and several more I probably forgot.

Stop playing golf about 6 years ago and starting again recently.  Like 10 years ago , I been trying different shafts 😅 including some new UST lines up along with couple of Diamana shafts.  

The other day, ordered new UST Element Earth shaft for my new Srixon ZX5 driver just for fun to see how it compares to recent UST shafts since there are some on eBay at very good/economical price.  After installing the Srixon Tip, I took it to the range and hit some balls with it.  Let me tell you, it's still a great shaft.  It can compete toe to toe with the some of the new  Lin-Q Shaft.  It's very smooth and very stable shaft. 

Example, I recently purchased is LINQ Purple and if I was to compare it.  I think its just as stable but smoother with lower launch. 

If you need a low launch low spin shaft, at economical price, you should give it a try. 

Another shaft like to mention is UST Launch Control LL.  It's extremely smooth shaft.  It reminds me of current Diamana TB but launches lower.  I have it on Adams Speedline Launch Lab Custom Driver.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 8:49 AM, NRJyzr said:

I feel like we can blame Graphite Design for that.  I think they were the first to increase the prices well past other products in the market, with their YS line.  Such as I remember, that is.

I remember the ProForce shaft being not much over $30.  🙂

I used to buy YS-9 and YS-6 for $69.99 direct...   That changed and I went away from them.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experimenting recently, searching for a shaft for an og Stealth 3hl head.  I shouldn't have been surprised to find that a good'ol Proforce V2 65R, out of some driver I used to have, tipped an inch, seems to be the winner. 

I just seem to make solid, square contact with it, even when swinging aggressively off the fairway.  Nice high, but flat, ball flight.  Could be honeymoon....we'll see (you never can be too sure with fairway woods).

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide