2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Chromesoft x ls vs supersoft

Cbfodalo

I have been playing supersoft for about a year. I know my swing speed is too fast for a low compression ball,  but I really like that soft feel.  I am so torn, I played a round today with the chromesoft x ls, and I could defintely appreciate the short game spin.  My chipping has been so good with supersoft playing the roll out.  Today I really struggled chipping as the chromesoft did what it supposed to and checked up, when my whole approach is built on running it out. 

Also I hated the clicky feel off my forged putter face. My driver speed is around 105, so everything I read says I should be playing a firmer ball, but I love the soft feel of the matte supersoft balls. 

I am going to try some regular chromesoft and practice chipping and putting to see if I can change my chipping approach. Ideally I would want a firmer ball that feels like supersoft matte balls. They are like velvety soft. The perfect ball for me would be about 60- 80 compression, low spin off tee, supersoft like skin,  and maybe a littleore wedge spin. 

I have played the Titliest avx and Prov1, chromesoft x, X ls and reg. Srixon soft feel and Taylor made tour responce.  I keep going back to supersoft.  Any ideas. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

I have been playing supersoft for about a year. I know my swing speed is too fast for a low compression ball,  but I really like that soft feel.  I am so torn, I played a round today with the chromesoft x ls, and I could defintely appreciate the short game spin.  My chipping has been so good with supersoft playing the roll out.  Today I really struggled chipping as the chromesoft did what it supposed to and checked up, when my whole approach is built on running it out. 

Also I hated the clicky feel off my forged putter face. My driver speed is around 105, so everything I read says I should be playing a firmer ball, but I love the soft feel of the matte supersoft balls. 

I am going to try some regular chromesoft and practice chipping and putting to see if I can change my chipping approach. Ideally I would want a firmer ball that feels like supersoft matte balls. They are like velvety soft. The perfect ball for me would be about 60- 80 compression, low spin off tee, supersoft like skin,  and maybe a littleore wedge spin. 

I have played the Titliest avx and Prov1, chromesoft x, X ls and reg. Srixon soft feel and Taylor made tour responce.  I keep going back to supersoft.  Any ideas. 

Chromesoft is an under rated ball. great feel, not clicky at all....flies straight

maybe look at the TP5 or the BXS / BRXS.......at 105 mph the BRXS might be great.....if fred couples can use it.....

My wife's aunt gave me a dozen Supersoft for "our birthday" (same date for both of us) a couple of years ago and I have been playing them ever since. Love how they feel, great to putt with. I started off with the lime green ones and thought "I'll bet the pink ones'll show up even better." Wrong! Couldn't see them at all. Recently switched to the orange ones and I see them great. It's a good time to be alive.

A classic feel vs. performance showdown.

IMO good ideas from @Tanner25. The “thing” about the BXRS and standard ChromeSoft is that you being asked to pay a premium price for models with knowingly compromised performance. If you demo’ed a driver that was 30 yards shorter than a less pleasing version, it’s unlikely many would go for it. Yet the cumulative loss you’re encumbering yourself with in your ball selection is very likely greater than that on a per round basis, and the only distance gains are your short irons, where it’s unwanted.

Try the QST and the Vice Pro. Both cost less, have very little compromise vs. any other ball (or none in the case of the Vice), and have a softer feel than most in their respective performance and compression groups.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

7 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

Funny, I just ordered a box of chromesoft and 

the Bridgestone  b rsx

Gonna spend a little time chipping and putting to see which one I am more comfortable with. 

I wish they used that matte finish on premium balls 

What do you like about a matte finish? Having played a shiny one for 40 years, that's what I prefer. I have tried matte ones and to me they have no feel and they get dirty. Just curious to what you think makes a matte ball appealing. They do look cool.

Edited by Tanner25

The just feel so soft and sticky. I feel. Like they stay on club face longer and now I am used to the soft thud on chips and puts. 

I am chipping so well of late, so playing the chromesoft x ls the other day was so uncomfortable, the clicky noise on chips and puts annoyed me, plus the chips where checking up and dying so I would have to change my chipping approach. I realize that short game spin should be a benefit, but I am reluctant to change balls. 

They do get dirty, but they clean up real easy and defintely look better when used then a scuffed up glossy ball. 

It's personal preference, but to me a glossy ball feels hard and plasticky. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

The just feel so soft and sticky. I feel. Like they stay on club face longer and now I am used to the soft thud on chips and puts. 

I am chipping so well of late, so playing the chromesoft x ls the other day was so uncomfortable, the clicky noise on chips and puts annoyed me, plus the chips where checking up and dying so I would have to change my chipping approach. I realize that short game spin should be a benefit, but I am reluctant to change balls. 

They do get dirty, but they clean up real easy and defintely look better when used then a scuffed up glossy ball. 

It's personal preference, but to me a glossy ball feels hard and plasticky. 

Thanks, for sharing your thoughts. Also, I think there are two types of matte balls, firm and platicky and soft and rubbery. I do like the softer ones better. The first time I used a urethane ball was a huge adjustment. Checking up early is as bad as seeing the ball release past the hole. Like anything in golf, after a few rounds, the new ball or swing thought becomes normal.

I will say, a ball like a soft feel or QST, should not feel hard and plasticky, in my opinion.

Edited by Tanner25

The ERC Soft has been hands down the best performer for me.  Surprisingly, and unbelievably so.  My swing speed is a little slower than yours at around 95 mph.  But after about 6 weeks of playing the ERC Soft against the TP5 and Chromesoft - It's consistently 10 yards longer than the others with the driver, and at times its 20-25 yards longer when I get a hold of it.  

This is with the driver.  I don't notice much difference at all with irons and wedges.  

This only thing I can think of is that I'm getting more optimal spin performance off the driver with the ERC Soft.

It's been a head scratcher for me.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

What do you like about a matte finish? Having played a shiny one for 40 years, that's what I prefer. I have tried matte ones and to me they have no feel and they get dirty. Just curious to what you think makes a matte ball appealing. They do look cool.

I play the Callaway Supersoft and Maxfli Softfli in the matte green color. I feel those two balls really stand out in the grass. That color helps me find my ball much faster. We spend quite a bit more time looking for my partners white ball. I have no problem with the feel or the balls getting dirty. I did buy a dozen of the Softfli matte white and I did not like them. The easily got grass stained and the matte white was hard to find in the grass. I have also tried the Srixon Soft Feel in their green and I had the hardest time finding the ball on the fairway and rough. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 8:21 PM, Cbfodalo said:

I usually use the Supersoft. I'm with you. I am used to the roll out using the Supersoft or the check up and slight roll out.

I like the Chromesoft a lot too. I get the Chromesoft to stop a bit faster for sure. What I have been doing is playing the Chromesoft on fast and or hard greens. I don't have to adjust my chipping or short game when using the Chromesoft on fast greens. With the same swing I get the Chromesoft to stop. When using the Supersoft on fast greens I had to adjust a good bit because they were rolling out a lot farther.

Supersoft on slow greens and same swing on fast greens with the Chromesoft equals the same results for me.

Edited by Greenie

On 5/19/2023 at 6:05 AM, North Butte said:

I sometimes wonder if I'm the last person left in the world who likes a firm click at impact. Especially off the putter or when chipping with irons and wedges from around the greens...a soft, muffled thud is not what I want to hear. 

Nope, you're not he last person.  In fact, I love a firm ball.  Left dash, CSX LS, Z-Star XV and Vice Pro Plus for me all day. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I second the B XS.  Softest tour ball IMO with plenty of spin. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

So test tomorrow if it stops raining. I am going to chip 3 balls each

Chromesoft

Trufeel

Supersoft 

B rxs

Then move to putting. 

I already fee comfortable with supersoft as I have been playing them off and on for a couple years.   The only reason I am even doing this is to see I can hold some more greens on approaches.  I also want to just stop the wondering weather I am missing something by staying with supersoft. 

I have a ton of Prov1 in a bucket so I might throw them in the mix too. 

I think getting some more spin in approaches will probable be biggest benifit, I just have to practice with whatever ball I decide to use. 

I saw test on site, but to be honest, all that really matters is what ever ball makes me feel more  Confidant and right now it's the supersoft.  So that's why I started this thread and bought a few of the suggested balls, to personally evaluate on practice facility.  I will be chipping and putting today. Stay tuned. 

I have used Supersoft in the past (not the current version) and while I'd have no way of knowing exactly how consistent they were from ball to ball, they performed very well for me. Better than previously tried 2pc balls like DT Solo, Soft Feel, Noodle, etc. So while I applaud MGS's efforts at doing careful and thorough quality testing, I know deep down that it probably takes worse issues than a highly variable core softness to make a noticeable difference in my own inconsistent, double-digit handicappers game. 

That said, it's kind of like why I quit ever buying even AAAAA/Mint used balls. If there's even a shred of doubt in the back of my mind about possibly pulling a bad ball out of my bag and putting it in play, it's not worth it. I'm already out there doubting my swing or doubting my club selection (or doubting my sanity for showing up to play golf in the first place) so having one more doubt seems unnecessary. There are plenty balls to choose from out there which I feel (rightly or wrongly) are of consistent quality. 

But I don't think Supersoft is anything like "garbage". I've probably played more than 100 of them over the years and never had any obvious falling out of the sky or flying 20 yards too far or taking funny sideways bounces off the putter or anything I'd expect from a "garbage" ball. 

For me, tinkering with equipment is fun. Eliminating doubt, calming the mind and trusting my target, my swing, my equipment and ball is key to playing well. If I had not read that very poor review, I would probable have never considered changing ball. I am not chasing distance, I already avg 268 off tee, it's holding greens and chipping close that I am after. With a good driver swing  I can get 290 with supersoft. A higher compression ball should result in a little more distance, and  better ball may provide better spin to hold more greens. I am just so dialed in with chipping with ss. It feels so good to me. It does not really check up for me, so I always play the roll out. Playing 1 round with cs x ls was painful. Every chip hit green and basically stopped. Clearly that's technique and on me, ot the ball, but I also just disliked the clicky feel. Off tee and approaches I was fine with csx ls, chipping and putting where so totally different. The putts seamed to explode off face. I am not disparaging csx, just recognizing just how different those balls play on and around greens. I would love to see a higher compression 3 piece ball with ss feel. If I designed the ball it would have around 70 compression, and thick super soft matte cover. So chromesoft with supersoft matte cover. 

This a WRX thread if there ever was one. 🙂

I love the ball I'm playing with.  It's long off the tee, great in my short game and I love the way it feels.  But maybe there is something better out there....

(No judgement at all, I've been there myself)

Edited by mantan

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m with North Butte. Being a double digit handicap and a beginner I doubt the ball will matter in my game right now.   I do like the feel and the visibility (I play the yellow) of the super-soft.  However, I can’t justify paying $72 a dozen for a pro v 1.  Until I improve I won’t play anything but the super soft or the Kirkland. 

So experiment is over. I am playing reg chromesoft. 

Got deal on buy 3 dozen get 1 free so not so bad. 

At any rate here are my observations. 

I really only compared chromesoft to supersoft.

1. Chromesoft is further and just about as straight off tee as supersoft. 

I am averaging 268 off tee right now and have quite a few go out to 303 295 etc. 

2. Approach shots are holding better on greens, not to say I hit all that many in regulation, but when I do they have much better chance to stay

3. After getting used to firmer feel, short game, chipping and putting with chromesoft is way better.

It spins out of sand and on short chips and lobs way better then supersoft. 

After about 10 rounds, I am scoring better and it's down to short game improvement. I still love the matte soft finish of supersoft, but the short game spin and better roll off putter put chromesoft on top. 

I do also believe chromesoft Is longer off tee for me.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:37 AM, Cbfodalo said:

For me, tinkering with equipment is fun. Eliminating doubt, calming the mind and trusting my target, my swing, my equipment and ball is key to playing well. If I had not read that very poor review, I would probable have never considered changing ball. I am not chasing distance, I already avg 268 off tee, it's holding greens and chipping close that I am after. With a good driver swing  I can get 290 with supersoft. A higher compression ball should result in a little more distance, and  better ball may provide better spin to hold more greens. I am just so dialed in with chipping with ss. It feels so good to me. It does not really check up for me, so I always play the roll out. Playing 1 round with cs x ls was painful. Every chip hit green and basically stopped. Clearly that's technique and on me, ot the ball, but I also just disliked the clicky feel. Off tee and approaches I was fine with csx ls, chipping and putting where so totally different. The putts seamed to explode off face. I am not disparaging csx, just recognizing just how different those balls play on and around greens. I would love to see a higher compression 3 piece ball with ss feel. If I designed the ball it would have around 70 compression, and thick super soft matte cover. So chromesoft with supersoft matte cover. 

Maybe some of the tour balls from Volvik?