July Golf Trip to Ireland

Just now, jdhallissey said:

No I still had to pay my way lol. A guy backed out and I am filling in for him. I am going to splurge at Rosapenna for the golf cart tho. That will be the best money spent on the entire trip.

As much as you are playing, I’d recommend one at Carne, Sligo, and Ballyliffin as well.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

As much as you are playing, I’d recommend one at Carne, Sligo, and Ballyliffin as well.

I was looking to see who actually had carts there is very little info on it. I do love walking but I cart to break it up I wont fight. I will have a caddie for the big boys. So that is just walking, but I am not a push cart guy, I have never been a push cart guy. I feel they wear me out faster. high school and college I never had a push cart. I will bring 2 bungee cords with me just in case I want to give one a shot. 

On 6/23/2023 at 2:13 PM, ajgoodal.704 said:

Wow.  The logistics are a nightmare and you risk missing some very good afternoon rounds.  I can't fathom playing The European Club, The Island and driving to Sligo in one day and then being at Carne so early the next morning.  

Yeah, during the 48hrs of the 20th and 21st spending a minimum of 24 hours at the 4 courses, a minimum of 14 hours on the road, only leaves a few hours for sleeping and eating. I would never ruin my rounds at Carne, Rosses Point, The European Club, and The Island by not being rested.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

They are available at Carne and Ballyliffin. Carne is an absolutely amazing place, by far my favorite course in the world, but it’s a brutal walk. Same with Portstewart, but carts are not available there. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jdhallissey said:

Dude again... I didn't setup the trip. I voiced my concern also. So this is what the other 3 guys wanted to do. I agree with all of what you guys have said. 

Have the other guys ever done a trip like this before? I’ve looked at just the logistics on the travel times. They are almost not possible, not to mention the physical strain the golf itinerary is going to out on them. 

9 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Have the other guys ever done a trip like this before? I’ve looked at just the logistics on the travel times. They are almost not possible, not to mention the physical strain the golf itinerary is going to out on them. 

yes 2 of them have. This trip was setup thru a once of there buddies that owns / runs a golf trip business. Again I am not doubting any of what you guys are saying. I am just along for the ride. There are some very tight schedules.  I am the type of person that loves to play 2 rounds a day but at the same location. Take it all in and enjoy the day. These guys are all about the number of rounds.

So I will have 30hours to do stuff in dublin before everyone else shows up. I am trying to figure out what to do when i get in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdhallissey said:

yes 2 of them have. This trip was setup thru a once of there buddies that owns / runs a golf trip business. Again I am not doubting any of what you guys are saying. I am just along for the ride. There are some very tight schedules.  I am the type of person that loves to play 2 rounds a day but at the same location. Take it all in and enjoy the day. These guys are all about the number of rounds.

So I will have 30hours to do stuff in dublin before everyone else shows up. I am trying to figure out what to do when i get in.

I have a golf travel business as well, but that itinerary is just torture. As long as you’re aware and prepared, that’s all that matters. Just trying to add some sound advice. 

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

I have a golf travel business as well, but that itinerary is just torture. As long as you’re aware and prepared, that’s all that matters. Just trying to add some sound advice. 

Ohh I appreciate it too. If I built the trip It would be like 5 locations. Then lets say we stay at Rosapenna then you can play 54 that day if you want. But only schedule 18 or even 36. What I couldn't figure out with all of this. Is the bouncing around. I understand openings at courses and stuff but man already at RCD why not just stay there for the day? Then Port-rush same thing.

13 minutes ago, jdhallissey said:

Ohh I appreciate it too. If I built the trip It would be like 5 locations. Then lets say we stay at Rosapenna then you can play 54 that day if you want. But only schedule 18 or even 36. What I couldn't figure out with all of this. Is the bouncing around. I understand openings at courses and stuff but man already at RCD why not just stay there for the day? Then Port-rush same thing.

Yeah, that’s what I try to do for my clients. Normally I will have them base somewhere for 3 days and play around that base, then move to new base for the next 3 or 4 days and play those in that area. I. Would have set up the trip like this:

Day 1 Play Portmarnock & The Island

Grand View Hotel

Day 2 Play The European Club & Baltray

Then drive to NewCastle (1.5hr) stay in NewCastle

Day 3 Play both RCD courses

Then drive to Portrush (2hrs) stay in Portrush

Day 4 Play both courses at Portstewart

Stay in Portrush

Day 5 Play both Royal Portrush courses

Then drive to Ballyliffin, (1.5hr) stay there

Day 6 Play the three courses in Ballyliffin

Then drive to Rosapenna (1.5hr)

Day 7 Play the three courses at Rosapenna

Then drive to Sligo (2hrs) stay the night

Day 8 Drive to Carne (2hrs) then to Rosses Point (2hrs)

Stay in Sligo

Day 9 Drive to Dublin airport (2.5hrs) depart.

Edited by hammergolf

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

Yeah, that’s what I try to do for my clients. Normally I will have them base somewhere for 3 days and play around that base, then move to new base for the next 3 or 4 days and play those in that area. 

And that makes sense. But at the end of the day I will suffer thru it and still truly enjoy the hell out of it.  The truly hard part for me is the get done with golf pack up and drive a hour to then play another round of golf. That is going to be the killer for me.

I played sand valley back in sept. It was absolutely amazing. But I was the first off and set the pace for sand valley at 3hrs with 2 other guys and a caddies. Then I had a almost 6 hour wait to play mammonth..... I was hurting then lol.

13 minutes ago, jdhallissey said:

And that makes sense. But at the end of the day I will suffer thru it and still truly enjoy the hell out of it.  The truly hard part for me is the get done with golf pack up and drive a hour to then play another round of golf. That is going to be the killer for me.

I played sand valley back in sept. It was absolutely amazing. But I was the first off and set the pace for sand valley at 3hrs with 2 other guys and a caddies. Then I had a almost 6 hour wait to play mammonth..... I was hurting then lol.

You’re playing some GREAT courses. No doubt the logistics aren’t doing you any favors. I forgot to tell you but you can also take a cart at Rosses Point as well. That’s about 6 or so rounds that will help save your feet, legs, and back a little. Ice and ibuprofen will get you through the rest…

2 hours ago, jdhallissey said:

No I still had to pay my way lol. A guy backed out and I am filling in for him. I am going to splurge at Rosapenna for the golf cart tho. That will be the best money spent on the entire trip.

I do wish you nothing but the best, but really hope your compadres take some time to allow for seeing some of the amazing things there are to see - really no time for that in the schedule - the country, the coast, the small towns and pubs, meeting folks and so forth. Not to mention all the history you’ll be buzzing by. They better be darn good company!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

You’re playing some GREAT courses. No doubt the logistics aren’t doing you any favors. I forgot to tell you but you can also take a cart at Rosses Point as well. That’s about 6 or so rounds that will help save your feet, legs, and back a little. Ice and ibuprofen will get you through the rest…

That is what they make irish whiskey for lol. But yea I have been before and did a bunch of sight seeing. Tho I still like to do it again. I will plan a trip with my pops probably next year and we will do a few days of golf then sight see and a few more days of golf.

Pre-check at all the courses for a Buggy,(power cart for riding), check their website, if not clear send them an email.   IF you booked a caddie and change your mind the day of, you'll be stiffing the caddie, which is not kind, and maybe not allowed.   The few high end ones RP, RCD, Island (maybe others) require a med certificate for a buggy and the caddie drives, PITA.   Carne buggies, at least the ones we had, were deathtraps.......

Many have powered carts for walking (power trollies), a good option, they can pull you up the hills...     

And a little known fact. Bus drivers are limited to the hours they drive, not just driving time, but the day's start to finish..  So you could run up against that.  Our driver told us once to get the f**k off the bus as he had to park it before it was too late.  Good guy, he was just being "specific", lol.  

• Like 1

Sounds like you are crazy people to even attempt this - however I hope you enjoy your trip and keep the forum updated on progress! Good luck!

Want to see the 360 degree camera footage from the back lounge in the Palace bar at the end of the trip - candid interviews of the survivors- could be a Netflix sensation!!

Edited by AltC

7 hours ago, toypor said:

You can also take a cart at European Club which might not be a bad idea. They have 2 bonus par 3 holes making for a total of 20 holes with some back-tracking. It is a fairly long walk with elevation. Even with carts I wouldn’t be surprised if that is a 5 hour round. 

Don’t think there will be time to play the bonus holes or a nice chat with Pat in the lounge if they have to get in the van back across Dublin to Malahide to play The Island (another potential 5 hour round) according to the itinerary! Then to face the 3 hour minimum drive to Sligo in the dark on Irish roads! Hehe

Edited by AltC
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Same with Portstewart, but carts are not available there. 

Carts are available at Portstewart with a medical certificate (doctors letter) and the caddy is the driver.  Needs to be prebooked with Med Cert transmitted in advance.  
Riding with a caddy is not the best experience, (I prefer to drive when on a cart),  but nothing stopping you from walking part of the round and riding where it makes sense, it does give you somewhere to sit and rest….

10 hours ago, AltC said:

Sounds like you are crazy people to even attempt this - however I hope you enjoy your trip and keep the forum updated on progress! Good luck!

Want to see the 360 degree camera footage from the back lounge in the Palace bar at the end of the trip - candid interviews of the survivors- could be a Netflix sensation!!

if  we make it a netflix movie I might be able to financially recover hahahhaha

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2023 at 4:16 PM, jdhallissey said:

Well - head into Dublin; go do the Guiness factory tour.  Then go check out Temple Bar and Grafton street to St Stephens Green, try to make it up to St Patricks Cathedral.  Depending on what you are feeling - try booking Il Vicoletto for Italian, Etto for Italian or Brookwood or Mr S for meat/steak; if you want to splurge then Patrik Guilbaud.   If you want cool pub and food:  Peruke or L Mulligan.   Or traditional: Oneills or Brazen head.

Then have a look for some music at another pub. 

On 6/24/2023 at 4:16 PM, jdhallissey said:

3 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Well - head into Dublin; go do the Guiness factory tour.  Then go check out Temple Bar and Grafton street to St Stephens Green, try to make it up to St Patricks Cathedral.  Depending on what you are feeling - try booking Il Vicoletto for Italian, Etto for Italian or Brookwood or Mr S for meat/steak; if you want to splurge then Patrik Guilbaud.   If you want cool pub and food:  Peruke or L Mulligan.   Or traditional: Oneills or Brazen head.

Then have a look for some music at another pub. 

Plus 1 for the Guinness Storehouse. And I would suggest making a reservation online.

I didn’t read how close the tee times are for your 36 hole days, but I hope you didn’t schedule too tightly. I just got back (the 24th) from playing Ireland/Northern Ireland and the place is crawling with Americans. And 5 hour ( or longer) rounds seemed to be the norm. I think our quickest round was at RCD, 4:40. I can’t remember what course, maybe Royal Portrush,  had gps trackers in the starter shack. It didn’t look like they were being handed out. So I’m guessing they gave up speeding people along.

6 hours ago, AltC said:

Stay in bed as long as possible when you arrive - then go out and hit some decent Dublin pubs ( less tourists the better) then get some quick food and go sleep again cos you are gonna need it!! What you have set up is a marathon trek - be prepared. 

1000 percent not prepared.... But my momma didnt raise no quitter.... I keep going over the trip... My biggest thing is A when are we going to eat and drink. B going to make friends with the medics to get iv bags! hahha

• Haha 1

A few years ago, I went to Ireland with a buddy, we rented an SUV, drove around the island for 3 weeks playing one course a day like RCD, Portrush, Castlerock, Donegal, BB, LH, Tralee, Waterville, and all the other usual suspects. 20 courses in 21 days. It was great fun but we were knackered by the time we got to our last course somewhere near Dublin.
But by comparison with your pancake eating competition it seems quite a basic trip.

You are going to need a helicopter not a bus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Supermac's!!  I hope you each have your own room when you do get to sleep.  The methane created from those sandwiches is enough to keep one awake.  Their burgers put my wife and I's marriage to the test one evening in Cong several years ago.  

• Haha 4

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

4 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Supermac's!!  I hope you each have your own room when you do get to sleep.  The methane created from those sandwiches is enough to keep one awake.  Their burgers put my wife and I's marriage to the test one evening in Cong several years ago.  

I dont know the sleeping arrangements but I am half tempted to just go sleep on the first of the next morning so I dont miss tee times hahha.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party but have to say this will be a miserable experience, especially if there's any sort of weather at all. 36 a day ain't no joke over there and like others have said, travel time is a bigger factor than you think. We just did a group of 12 in April (14 days and 13 rounds) which was borderline nuts; yours is all but unachievable in my opinion.....but we were a group of 35-60 somethings so your mileage may vary.

• Like 1