2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Help Me Stop Swinging Down So Hard and So Early

Brenkj

I've been told several times that the reason I can't get any decent distance is because I don't shift my weight/pressure to my front side enough, or early enough.  I've been trying to fix this for almost a year, and I seem to be completely incapable of doing so.  Recently it has occurred to me that the reason I'm having so much trouble is because, when I get to the top of my backswing, every fiber of my being wants to immediately swing the club back down with my arms without giving my lower body a chance to shift forward.   As a result, I swing off my back foot with very little power.   Sometimes I feel like the club is swinging me instead of vice versa.   

Not only do I swing down really early with my arms; I also swing really hard.   Even if I concentrate on swinging nice and easy, I still swing down really fast/hard.   I've tried slowing down my backswing, but that seems to make the downswing even faster and more violent.  I've tried both shortening and lengthening my backswing with not luck.   I've tried the "step drill," and all that happens is I swing down early and hard, before I have a chance to step.   

Any wisdom, advice, drills, words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Down swing needs to start with the lower body with the arms and hands trailing but not too much.  Starting down strictly with arms is death.  It's more complex than that, but that's as simple as I can explain it. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

14 hours ago, Brenkj said:

I've been told several times that the reason I can't get any decent distance is because I don't shift my weight/pressure to my front side enough, or early enough.  I've been trying to fix this for almost a year, and I seem to be completely incapable of doing so.  Recently it has occurred to me that the reason I'm having so much trouble is because, when I get to the top of my backswing, every fiber of my being wants to immediately swing the club back down with my arms without giving my lower body a chance to shift forward.   As a result, I swing off my back foot with very little power.   Sometimes I feel like the club is swinging me instead of vice versa.   

Not only do I swing down really early with my arms; I also swing really hard.   Even if I concentrate on swinging nice and easy, I still swing down really fast/hard.   I've tried slowing down my backswing, but that seems to make the downswing even faster and more violent.  I've tried both shortening and lengthening my backswing with not luck.   I've tried the "step drill," and all that happens is I swing down early and hard, before I have a chance to step.   

Any wisdom, advice, drills, words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I used to shoot archery competitively and did a lot of teaching. In target archery, there's a phenomenon called "target panic". The long and the short of it is that the archer will release their shot the moment the pin in their sight touches the bullseye. Generally speaking, you want to be able to hold on the bullseyes then slowly add tension until the shot breaks, but someone with bad target panic literally cannot keep from releasing the shot.

The way to fix this is called blank baling. The archer will shoot at a large target with no bullseye on it, focusing only on the shot execution and not where the arrow goes.

It sounds like you might have the same mental phenomenon going on. I'm talkin' out my azz, but if I were you, I would start taking practice swings with no ball and your eyes closed. Only focus on what's going on physically and nothing about the ball/turf.

Might help. I also might be full of shiz. 

Edited by ApostateDrive
  • Like 2

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

13 hours ago, Brenkj said:

I've tried the "step drill," and all that happens is I swing down early and hard, before I have a chance to step.

Combo of hitting impluse and bad sequence. First, find it in you to see that the ball isn't going anywhere, it's just sitting there, no rush. And to get a better sequence, I'd work on the step drill, initiating your swing with your feet together and making a conscious step towards the target before even starting your transition (or even better yet : don't even start your transition), just working on this until it becomes ingrained.

I had the same problem a year ago.  I had a very very fast transition and it threw everything off. I tried to "hit" the ball "hard".  I also had to learn to shift to my left side before transition.  At the beginning that was a total disaster.  When I got to the top I had zero idea where to go from there.  The shift toward the target was totally not natural at all.

What worked was slow 1/2 swings. Thousands of them. 8 irons to the 100 yard flag. Concentrating on smooth transition and weight shift.  One day everything just fell into place. The weight shift became a by product of moving the hips correctly and transitioning smoothly.  I no longer even have to think about weight shift, out just happens when I swing correctly.  Again, the practice was 1/2 swings done slowly at first. Then lengthening and speeding up . One year later I'm still doing 90% of my range time with 1/2 swings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.   Great stuff to work on.   I've found two training aids that seem like they might help:    

1.  The Pressure Plate from Why Golf:   https://whygolf.com/products/pressure-plate?utm_source=google&utm_medium=&utm_id=19961766940&utm_content=&utm_term=&creativeId=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkuyVq5Tm_wIVUoJbCh1mEAfrEAAYASAAEgJH8_D_BwE

2.  The Lag Shot Driver and 7 iron:  https://lagshotgolf.com

Any thoughts on whether those might be worthwhile purchases for my particular issue?

14 hours ago, Brenkj said:

For one thing, just based on this description, your concept of when to start that shift/recentering to the left is waaay too late.  It needs to start much earlier than at the top of the swing, at least for most ams who barely do it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brenkj said:

Thanks for the responses.   Great stuff to work on.   I've found two training aids that seem like they might help:    

1.  The Pressure Plate from Why Golf:   https://whygolf.com/products/pressure-plate?utm_source=google&utm_medium=&utm_id=19961766940&utm_content=&utm_term=&creativeId=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkuyVq5Tm_wIVUoJbCh1mEAfrEAAYASAAEgJH8_D_BwE

Any thoughts on whether those might be worthwhile purchases for my particular issue?

I made one of the pressure plate things to try at home.  Didn't work for me at all.  Felt all out of synch. The only thing that worked for me on weight shift was tons of 1/2 swings. There's really no substitute or short cut.  I had to force the weight shift in the beginning but all of a sudden one day it worked.  For me, as I stated above, the weight shift became a by product of the swing. 

I highly recommend spending $37 on @MonteScheinblum's Power Shift video series. He goes into great detail on exactly this issue, and it includes many helpful drills. It could be the best money you've ever spent on your golf game:

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/powershift

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brenkj said:

I've heard great things about the Lag Shot. Been thinking about getting them since I have the same issue. 

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

I start every session with the orange whip. It's perfect for me to get my tempo in check because it will feel terrible if I try to yank with the arms before the backswing is finished. 100% agree that 1/2 swings will help you figure out sequencing as well, maybe even 1/2 swings with a pause at the back. If you're sequence is bad you won't be able to hit the ball at all from that position. Lastly something I believe has really helped with my sequence is speed training. Just fast swings with my driver not even with the sticks or stack. It's impossible to get faster with bad sequence and quick arms from the top. It really teaches your subconscious where fast comes from which has translated to my entire bag. YMMV

I'll add that if you're swinging off your back foot (and are having problems getting shifted onto your front side), then you're likely shifting your weight back over and beyond (past the outside of) your trail foot in the backswing. If you get your weight out past your trail foot such that your trial foot rolls at all, it's nearly impossible to get to your lead side.

I've had similar issues. A desire to hit hard from the top, using muscles and strength to force speed into the club head. It felt quick and rushed but I couldn't stop the desire to hit hard. The swing was so much freer and faster without a ball there.

Recently I've taken the hit out of my swing by consciously not pulling down with my hands and arms in transition. I feel as if the hands and arms do nothing and I leave them at the top of my backswing. Impact, for me, is now from transition all the way through to the finish. This takes great conscious effort on my part but there is a new freedom to my swing and my strike has never been better. It's amazing how my arms and wrists move when I'm not TRYING to move them.

• Like 1