2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ireland advice

Looking for some opinions on our Ireland trip next year. We have an itinerary in place with all tee times and hotels booked. Just looking for transportation. For reasons I won’t get into, we aren’t using the company who booked our tee times to book our transportation, so we’ve been in contact with several companies on our own to attempt to arrange transport. We’ve been quoted for between $7-8 k for a van to get the 4 of us around for the week. This seems a little steep. Anyone know a good company with reasonable service and prices?  Also, has anyone ever done their own driving by just renting a van?  Is it doable?  We will be having a few beers at dinner but don’t plan on getting hammered either during or after golf, so that’s not an issue. Also, if anyone has any “can’t miss” places to eat/have a beer we’d appreciate it. Thanks! 

Sat 

Arrive AM in Dublin.  

1500 Ballyliffin Glashedy

Overnight @ Bayview Hotel

Sunday 

14:24 Royal Portrush Dunluce

Overnight at Bayview

Monday 

Castlerock 9:00

Portstewart Strand 15:10

Overnight Bayview

Tuesday 

Royal County Down at 10:23 and 1600

Overnight at Slieve Donard

Wednesday 

Ardglass 11:06

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Thursday 

Sandy Hills 8:20

St Patrick’s 13:15

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Friday 

Portmarnock @ 15:30

Overnight @ Brooks Hotel

Saturday 

Fly out of Dublin back to US

6 minutes ago, gaspasr said:

Looking for some opinions on our Ireland trip next year. We have an itinerary in place with all tee times and hotels booked. Just looking for transportation. For reasons I won’t get into, we aren’t using the company who booked our tee times to book our transportation, so we’ve been in contact with several companies on our own to attempt to arrange transport. We’ve been quoted for between $7-8 k for a van to get the 4 of us around for the week. This seems a little steep. Anyone know a good company with reasonable service and prices?  Also, has anyone ever done their own driving by just renting a van?  Is it doable?  We will be having a few beers at dinner but don’t plan on getting hammered either during or after golf, so that’s not an issue. Also, if anyone has any “can’t miss” places to eat/have a beer we’d appreciate it. Thanks! 

Sat 

Arrive AM in Dublin.  

Sunday 

Overnight at Bayview

Monday 

Overnight Bayview

Tuesday 

Wednesday 

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Thursday 

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Friday 

Overnight @ Brooks Hotel

Saturday 

Well...your day 1 is horrid...sorry.  That is a solid 4 hour drive right off the plane.  No way I would wish that on anyone.   But it sounds like you already have it booked.

Then on to the overall trip - again, sorry, that is the most ridiculous itinerary I have ever seen in my life.  Your going to Donegal, then back across to the coast, then back to Donegal then back to Dublin.  Whoever booked that should be strung up by their testicles!!   I am assuming you can't change. But you should try.  

image.png.d381a2146a9401fe5cde8d913fb680f7.png

Yes - you can drive yourself - no issue.  You just have to learn to drive on the other side of the road and be a little more cautious - don't assume same type of drive as US.

For food when you at RCD - Great Jones is the spot.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

in a perfect world, we would start at Portmarnock and work our way around to Rossapenna, but have run into a few problems trying to do so. 

Assuming we can change it, how would you change it?  Anyone have experince rearranging tee times at RCD or Portrush?  

Portrush, RCD,  St Patrick’s and Portmarnock are the “must plays”.  Our tour scheduler told us RCD and Portrush are already completely booked (they called the day they opened and this is the best they could get).  Nothing’s really available Saturday or Sunday AM due to member play, and Ballyliffin has a tournament most of the week we are there, so Saturday is the only day we can play it.  

3 hours ago, gaspasr said:

Sat 

Arrive AM in Dublin.  

Sunday 

Overnight at Bayview

Monday 

Overnight Bayview

Tuesday 

Wednesday 

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Thursday 

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Friday 

Overnight @ Brooks Hotel

Saturday 

Great course lineup, but not very good logistics. I’ve made several annual trips to Ireland for golf and the mistake most make is trying to pack in too much on the front end of the trip. The flight alone is tiring so when you land, traveling bother 4 hours is a recipe for starting off on the wrong foot. If I were making the trip, here is how I would set the itinerary:

Sat

Arrive in Dublin, then play a course in the area. Options would be #1 Baltray, #2The Island, or #3 Portmarnock. I actually try to play Corballis, which is next to The Island, but a fun shorter par 68 course to play my jet lag round. Not to mention, for $40 it’s hard to beat the bargain. Then spend the night in the area. Grand Hotel in Malahide is a good option, but there are several options. If you choose Baltray, you can stay in Drogheda which will take 40 minutes off the drive to Ardglass the following morning.

Sun

Drive up to Ardglass (2hrs) and play the course. Then stay the night there or in NewCastle 

Mon

Play RCD, then drive to Portrush (2hrs) Spend the next 2 nights in Portrush

Tues

Play Portrush, stay the night

Wed

Play Portstewart then Castlerock, then drive to Ballyliffin (1hr) and spend the night

Thur

Play Ballyliffin, then drive to Rosapenna (1.5hrs) spend the next two nights there

Fri

Play Sandy Hills and St. Patricks spend the night

Sat

Drive to Dublin Airport (3.5hrs) 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, gaspasr said:

Sat 

Arrive AM in Dublin.  

Sunday 

Overnight at Bayview

Monday 

Overnight Bayview

Tuesday 

Wednesday 

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Thursday 

Overnight @ Rossapenna

Friday 

Overnight @ Brooks Hotel

Saturday 

Do not bother trying change Portrush and RCD. So Sunday and Tuesday are a lock. 

I would ditch Saturday at Ballyliffin. The Corballis suggestion is good. Stay in Malahide and that gives you plenty of time for Portrush on Sunday. 

I would try to play St Pat's on Monday. If you are desperate for a second course play OTM as its a much easier walk than Sandy Hills. 

Thursday I would head for Baltray or The Island. Might possibly suggest ditching Ardglass and play both The Island and Baltray for Wednesday and Thursday. 

Sounds like guaranteed times for must plays are driving the results and that’s totally up to you. If someone else is doing the driving what the heck if it is a comfortable ride in a small tour bus, but you need to find one - maybe you’ll get suggestions for that. 

I do agree on the first day but having said that don’t know how long you are on the plane and so forth.  And “must plays” are extremely subjective - been there, done that - so many great options, no need to sucked into notions of what “must” be played or what course box needs checking to validate a trip. 

Dublin as a base from which you take different overnights a long ways away and come back only to do it again is odd to say the least but I get it based on your parameters. I’d never do it but it’s your trip. 

If none of you have driven over there before don’t plan on that first trip only taking 4 hours.  

Bite the bullet and hire the driver. If you are collecting quotes then not a lot of reason to think there would be some solution you haven’t already checked out but if you want it to be productive for anyone trying to help, list the providers and the quotes so folks aren’t wasting time with random suggestions.  

Lots of great advice from the guys already.   I think you could make a couple of slight tweaks and make it easier on yourselves.  I'd start with trying to get a warm-up/jetlag 9 on the Bann Course at Castlerock instead of 4+ hours to Ballyliffin and 1.5-2 hours to your hotel.  You can spend the rest of your first day checking out Giants Causeway, Bushmills, etc.  Leave Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as is.  On Wednesday play Ardglass and then head south towards Malahide/Portmarnock instead of Rosapenna.  Just plan on making a Donegal trip in the near future, there is enough great golf there to warrant it.  It is where I'm headed in 2024.  Thursday play The Island and if you want 36, add in Corballis next door.  If not, go enjoy Dublin.  Don't waste all your free time in a vehicle, driving or being driven.  Spend that time checking out the incredible sites Ireland has to offer and the craic.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I’ve taken them to heart and knocked off about 500km of windshield time off our trip. I hate missing St Patrick’s but now I have a reason to come back some day. Maybe with my son when he’s old enough.

Plan now is to drive to Dublin after ardglass on Wednesday. Thursday play Portmarnock and The Island. Play County Louth Saturday am and then enjoy Dublin Saturday afternoon. Anyone have any good recs for places to stay/things to do/restaurants/pubs in Dublin?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gaspasr said:

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I’ve taken them to heart and knocked off about 500km of windshield time off our trip. I hate missing St Patrick’s but now I have a reason to come back some day. Maybe with my son when he’s old enough.

Plan now is to drive to Dublin after ardglass on Wednesday. Thursday play Portmarnock and The Island. Play County Louth Saturday am and then enjoy Dublin Saturday afternoon. Anyone have any good recs for places to stay/things to do/restaurants/pubs in Dublin?  

Very good decision. 

1 hour ago, gaspasr said:

Last question-we have room for one round on our last day. Should we play Co Louth or the European Club?  Staying in Dublin so it’s an hour to get there either way 

You can’t go wrong with either one. I think TEC is more visually appealing, but Co Louth is a more traditional links. 

You are playing some of the very best links courses all week and can certainly add to the list with either of those, but how about sampling one of Ireland's very best parkland courses the last day?  Druids Glen and the K Club (Ryder Cup) courses have recently gone through rehabs to make them even better.  We are doing something similar for our Donegal trip next year, finishing with the Faldo Course at Lough Erne before our last night in Dublin.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

I wasn’t really a fan of my interactions with the European Club last year which makes it the one exception among many courses contacted and/or played in Scotland and Ireland. Check County Louth’s cancellation policy - European Club is strict and can’t cancel within 30 days (and he is up front about it and can have whatever policy he likes). 

7 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

You are playing some of the very best links courses all week and can certainly add to the list with either of those, but how about sampling one of Ireland's very best parkland courses the last day?  Druids Glen and the K Club (Ryder Cup) courses have recently gone through rehabs to make them even better.  We are doing something similar for our Donegal trip next year, finishing with the Faldo Course at Lough Erne before our last night in Dublin.  

I’m looking forward to seeing the changes at Druids Glen after the redesign.

Hopefully not off topic, but any golf advice for an upcoming short trip in late August to Ireland that will include Portrush and RCD?

this is what I’ve gathered so far:

-don’t bring an umbrella

-prepare for and embrace wind and rain

-courses will be tough, so don’t expect personal best scores

Should we use a caddy or forecaddy for either course?

any specific golf changes, such as practice lower flighted shots?

we are mid to high HCPs (12-20) but all love the game.

anything else to consider?

@NewToGolf19 don't take this the wrong way, but at your handicap level don't try to manufacture shots. Just focus on making solid contact and take what you get distance wise. If you have caddies they  should be able to give you good advice on how far shots are playing.

Just to reinforce what "prepare for rain" means, that means top quality rain gear. Don't cheap out on it or you'll be miserable if you get wet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 hours ago, jvincent said:

@NewToGolf19 don't take this the wrong way, but at your handicap level don't try to manufacture shots. Just focus on making solid contact and take what you get distance wise. If you have caddies they  should be able to give you good advice on how far shots are playing.

Just to reinforce what "prepare for rain" means, that means top quality rain gear. Don't cheap out on it or you'll be miserable if you get wet.

I agree that you don't need to try to manufacture shots, but I'd suggest that into the wind you take more club and swing easy.  Take as much unnecessary spin off the ball as you can or you'll see some incredible banana balls.  My brother is an 18 and overswings at everything and I mean everything.  The kid John Daly's his gap wedge.  I watched him float a driver up into the breeze at Lahinch a few times and wow.  100-150 yard bananas.  I felt pretty bad for his caddy that day.  We were bundled up in jackets and he was wearing shorts and sweating.  We played 6600 yards and he probably walked at least 12,000.  

Edited by ajgoodal.704

2024 Bag

47 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I agree that you don't need to try to manufacture shots, but I'd suggest that into the wind you take more club and swing easy. 

This is very good advice.

That said, one of the guys in our group the day we played Lahinch hit an easy PW that travelled forwards about 100 yards before the wind pushed it backwards about 20. I has a perfect side on view and watched it stall at the apex and start going backwards. I was laughing pretty hard.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

38 minutes ago, jvincent said:

This is very good advice.

That said, one of the guys in our group the day we played Lahinch hit an easy PW that travelled forwards about 100 yards before the wind pushed it backwards about 20. I has a perfect side on view and watched it stall at the apex and start going backwards. I was laughing pretty hard.

My first time at Lahinch I hit a 20 yard pitch shot with a gap wedge that the wind moved 20 feet offline.  We were in awe of the power of the Atlantic.  Nothing can prepare you for the wild & crazy that links golf can be.  

2024 Bag

8 hours ago, NewToGolf19 said:

Hopefully not off topic, but any golf advice for an upcoming short trip in late August to Ireland that will include Portrush and RCD?

I would suggest at least a forecaddy at RCD. Some blind tee shots to choked down fairways. I didn’t have a caddy at Portrush, but the two caddies in our foursome were VERY helpful off the tee. So I would say yes at Portrush also

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 6:37 PM, gaspasr said:

Good idea to skip St. Patricks--it is horrible right now. We just got back from a trip to Ireland that included SP, and it was last on everyone's ranking of the 10 courses played.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DLiver said:

Good idea to skip St. Patricks--it is horrible right now. We just got back from a trip to Ireland that included SP, and it was last on everyone's ranking of the 10 courses played.

Was it just burnt out? Or where there other issues?

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Was it just burnt out? Or where there other issues?

There were a couple things. They lost their fairways during a drought earlier this year, so you are presented with a patchwork of brown and green fairways. But the biggest problem is the greens. The are WAAAAY over the top in terms of undulations, mounds and contours. It is really mickey mouse golf. Of course the greens were in rough shape as well, and they were in the process of punching and seeding some of the greens. The fairways had the same kind of movement, so you got very random results from your shots. Good shots were often punished. Doak did the same thing with the greens at Ballyneal. Some in our group said the severity of the greens reminded them of Concession in FL. It was disappointing because our groups was really looking forward to playing the course. Sandy Hills was much better IMO.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, gaspasr said:

Guinness factory; Brazen Head, Etto, St Patricks Cathedral, Trinity College Library, St Stephens Green, Temple Bar (just pick and choose if you see music at a pub), Irish Whiskey museum, check to see if there is a match in Croke park (rugby, other) or try and find a gaelic football or hurling match somewhere.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:19 AM, hammergolf said:

You can’t go wrong with either one. I think TEC is more visually appealing, but Co Louth is a more traditional links. 

@gaspasr  Agree precisely here.  I personally love both for the same reason.  Just a thought, if you end up not wanting the traditional links at the end, maybe TEC would be a good finish to get the visuals.  

But either is great.

16 hours ago, DLiver said:

There were a couple things. They lost their fairways during a drought earlier this year, so you are presented with a patchwork of brown and green fairways. But the biggest problem is the greens. The are WAAAAY over the top in terms of undulations, mounds and contours. It is really mickey mouse golf. Of course the greens were in rough shape as well, and they were in the process of punching and seeding some of the greens. The fairways had the same kind of movement, so you got very random results from your shots. Good shots were often punished. Doak did the same thing with the greens at Ballyneal. Some in our group said the severity of the greens reminded them of Concession in FL. It was disappointing because our groups was really looking forward to playing the course. Sandy Hills was much better IMO.

Mix of green and brown fairways? Were the brown areas dormant due to weather or chewed up? 

Some greens are undulated and sloped, but not quick...so very playable. 

I guess we are on different planets because I think St Pat's is a superb course. The design fits the scale and land movement of the property. Plenty of space to play the game. A bit tricky at first, but the dangerous areas are sussed after a few games. For me it is comfortably the best course at Rosapenna.