Would Titleist Left Dash give excessive distance with irons?

Minarets

Played today and the course had a few boxes of left –. Hadn’t seen those in a while, so I picked up a box as I’ve never played them. Thought Titleist wasn’t even making them anymore. Anyway, couldn’t wait to try them out. I know they are supposed to be a low spinning option after doing the Ballnamic fitting earlier this year it fit me into the Bridgestone tour B X and chrome soft LS.  I have been happy with those balls, but always loved the feel of a pro V1, so couldn’t wait to try them.  I definitely could not figure out the feel on the greens while putting. Had to one of my worst putting days in a long time.  Ball feels firm.  I’m a 4.4 handicap, but where I was really confused was I flew 7 greens today long.  Was that just some random ball striking day or is that the ball? I haven’t changed my swing, nor were there any real other variables I’m aware of.  I was flushing them but I’ve never experienced something like that.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

11 minutes ago, nitram said:

Yeah, it's a firm ball for sure. As far as distance increase, maybe, but not more than 3-4 yards, at the most.

That’s what I’d assume.  I can’t imagine any ball getting “that” much distance but shot the worst round of the year for me.  GHIN kicked it out towards my handicap. It was unreal how many balls flew over the green. 3 penalties long.  Just weird day.  But that’s why golf is a 4 letter word, I guess 

I actually really liked the feel off the irons and driver.   Felt firm but not like a rock.  Felt powerful.   Sadly, when putting I had no feel for it.  It did feel like a rock. I need to practice with it. 

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 2

If you are used to a lot more spin (Prov1x etc..) they can give you long balls especially into the wind. Otherwise they should be within a handful of yards.

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

I’m out practicing putting right now with them versus the TP5x. 

There is definitely a feel issue for me with the left –.  The TP5X and my gamer Bridgestone tour B X in yellow feel about the same to me  on tbs greens.  The left - is just so firm.  Hard for me to get any feel with this thing.  I’m killing putts. 

thought it might be in my head as I’m putting three and three and three  so I decided to start rotating balls and I’m consistently long from just about every distance with the left –  

as much as I liked the feel off the driver and the irons and the added distance, if I can’t get a feel with the Potter it’s just gonna have to go bye-bye 

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 1

I love the Left Dash in theory. You are right, even for a slower swing player like myself, the ball feels powerful and the feedback with the driver , woods, hybrids, irons is as good as it gets, but the ball is really not enjoyable to pitch, chip, or putt. 

There is no pleasure in playing the ball around the greens. 

Plus it does not come in yellow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

I love the Left Dash in theory. You are right, even for a slower swing player like myself, the ball feels powerful and the feedback with the driver , woods, hybrids, irons is as good as it gets, but the ball is really not enjoyable to pitch, chip, or putt. 

There is no pleasure in playing the ball around the greens. 

Plus it does not come in yellow. 

I am with you on yellow.  I haven’t played a Pro V1x in a very long time.  Was playing regular Pro V1 forever because of the softer feel before getting fit on Ballnamic and they told Bridgestone Tour B X.  It does come in yellow so I have played that ball and really like it.  Maybe I should try Pro V1x again in yellow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff58 said:

Which version P790 are you playing?

IMO generally P790’s are fairly high launch, fairly low spin. If your shot has a near zero AOA and your ball is a high speed, fairly high launch, fairly low spin, the combination really should be producing the “mini-driver/rocket launcher” thing.

I don’t know how similar our mechanics are, but the standard V1x has always worked well for me / P790’s. The extra spin and stopping power somewhat guards against fliers.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

We're the long balls from fairway or rough? Were they long pulls or pushes? 

Even if the ball dropped 400 or 600rpm, it shouldn't alter carry by more than 3-5 yards... not enough to go from middle of green to over the green. 

And not to muddy it up even more but was it from a hollow body p790 or like a 9i? I found on 7 6 5 etc that slightly higher hits from those kinds of irons can essentially create gear affect such that you can effectively see a flier (higher launch with lower spin). Ball speed stays high but from some light rough that doesn't slow your club down much combined with a little bit of a pull and you can easily add 10+ yards of carry. Any wind could make this worse.

• Like 1

All shots that I hit were from fairway. I was fit for the p790 as I’m an extreme high spin player.   They fit me in these to reduce spin. It’s also why I am fit in to lower spin balls.  I also launch high and with the fitting have a good decent angle for the ball.  

Edited by Minarets

13 minutes ago, Minarets said:

All shots that I hit were from fairway. I was fit for the p790 as I’m an extreme high spin player.   They fit me in these to reduce spin. It’s also why I am fit in to lower spin balls.  I also launch high and with the fitting have a good decent angle for the ball.  

I'd just chalk it up to wind then, and if you pulled the ball a little bit then less loft = more speed and less spin.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'd just chalk it up to wind then, and if you pulled the ball a little bit then less loft = more speed and less spin.  

I def think a little pull could have played in to it.  I was flushing them off the face. Thought they were money and watched them land slightly left of my target but over the back.  

Ive played left dash, but im with the standard pro v1x now.

I think the low spin properties CAN be good, player dependent, but i saw a few drawbacks when playing with the left dash:

• Biggest one was undoubtedly that when I got into a situation with jumpy flier lies from the rough, and even sometimes from longer fairway grass, the ball had the potential to give some mega fliers and that really wasnt confidence inspiring

• Effect of wind.... This ball didnt behave well in wind. It didnt ride the wind with spin, it could fly too flat through the wind, and down wind it didnt give the expected increase in distance i thought it would, presumably as there was less spin keeping the ball in the air

• Shot shaping.... drawing balls wanted to duck out of the air quickly

In theory you could see extra distance off irons with left dash, but its not likely or not really significant enough to be attributed solely to the ball.

Off a driver, absolutely, you will probably see more ball speed and more distance.

You could also end up being shorter due to lack of spin, and not getting the right launch and spin.

Tricky one to answer.

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

I’m getting noticeable more carry and rollout  with the driver with the left dash over Pro V1 and Pro V1X. Not really seeing much, if any gain with the irons.  Regarding putting, it’s working well with an older spider.  The insert on the spider is soft enough to counteract the firmness of the ball.  

• Like 2

I played this one today down at Towhee. The game I had today matched whatever Titleist had drawn up for playability. I play 716CB irons with “traditional” lofts. Basing that off of stock for a 2015 club. I shocked myself at some of the yardages I was getting with these compared to the TP5x I was playing. No issues with any shot on those TiffEagle greens. But they are fairly long. 

Edited by 8overpar

26 minutes ago, 8overpar said:

I played this one today down at Towhee. The game I had today matched whatever Titleist had drawn up for playability. I play 716CB irons with “traditional” lofts. Basing that off of stock for a 2015 club. I shocked myself at some of the yardages I was getting with these compared to the TP5x I was playing. No issues with any shot on those TiffEagle greens. But they are fairly long. 

Haven’t played there in a month.  Have they punched them? Love the new clubhouse.  

4 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Haven’t played there in a month.  Have they punched them? Love the new clubhouse.  

About 2 weeks ago maybe.  They used the smaller tines this time of year. Perfect speed this morning. I need to try the food one day. A few members say the food is great. I'm only 12 minutes from the house so I usually pass.

Just now, 8overpar said:

About 2 weeks ago maybe.  They used the smaller tines this time of year. Perfect speed this morning. I need to try the food one day. A few members say the food is great. I'm only 12 minutes from the house so I usually pass.

I’m in Franklin. Wish they still had the scooters.   I play out there quite a bit.  Never play well there. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, rollen said:

I’m getting noticeable more carry and rollout  with the driver with the left dash over Pro V1 and Pro V1X. Not really seeing much, if any gain with the irons.  Regarding putting, it’s working well with an older spider.  The insert on the spider is soft enough to counteract the firmness of the ball.  

Saw exactly the same! Only played it for first time last round. I found it and didn’t realize it wasn’t pro v1x until a few days after my round… i sharpie the alignment label.

It was a very hot day with no wind. Very  long off tee for me such my regular partners took real notice. In places I hadn’t been before. Though low spin, found it flew very straight. Best driving round and ball striking round I’ve had. Putting feel was more than fine.

Funny thing is I’m a guy who normally low spin doesn’t work well…L-dash launches high and stays in air.

• TaylorMade SIM Max (12°, GD Tour AD IZ 6 S)
  • TBD - 7w
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 4h (22°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 5h (25°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • Titleist T300 (6-G, SteelFiber i110cw R)
  • Titleist SM9 (52°-12F, 58°-10S, Steelfiber i110cw R)
  • Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K (Double Wide Stoke Lab Red)
  • ProV1x

On 9/3/2023 at 8:36 AM, Minarets said:

I’m out practicing putting right now with them versus the TP5x. 

There is definitely a feel issue for me with the left –.  The TP5X and my gamer Bridgestone tour B X in yellow feel about the same to me  on tbs greens.  The left - is just so firm.  Hard for me to get any feel with this thing.  I’m killing putts. 

thought it might be in my head as I’m putting three and three and three  so I decided to start rotating balls and I’m consistently long from just about every distance with the left –  

as much as I liked the feel off the driver and the irons and the added distance, if I can’t get a feel with the Potter it’s just gonna have to go bye-bye 

that's just the sound you're reacting to, you don't compress a ball enough when putting to effect distance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I played Left Dash for about 4-5 months (50 rounds?) when it first came out and then tried it again for a dozen or so rounds last year. Initially I thought the "lower spin" thing meant I should expect the occasional extra-long iron or wedge shot but I really never saw it. No more unexpected long shots with Left Dash than with the regular Pro V1x or similar balls. Certainly not like AVX in that regard.

For me it plays like a slightly firmer Pro V1x that is maybe a couple yards longer off the driver (or maybe not) and seems not quite as likely to stop immediately or suck back a little on a cleanly struck full wedge shot, which Pro V1x tends to do. I like the firm click it makes and the excellent durability but otherwise it really doesn't seem to have any advantage or disadvantage over regular Pro V1x for my game.