Goldilocks visits the range to help optimize ground force with Brendon and Dr. Scott Lynn. Low tech!

Nels55

Interesting video on finding your best ground force without the use of expensive force plates.

When ever I try these types of test I seem to get mixed results and nothing as cut and dried as we see here with Brendon changing to more torque GF.  I do notice that when I work on adding some torque I tend to hit the ball straighter and I lose my tendency to pull the ball.  This is probably because getting the hips slightly more open at impact is a clubface opener. 

I had to pick up a 3w yesterday and decided to hit indoors to get numbers. The move in this video is one I wanted to try so I exaggerated the move a few times. And my ballspeed picked up 2 mph. 

Another reason I need to get on force plates. My swingspeed and ballspeed are highest when I'm heavy on rotation. But there's a missing link because too much rotation too soon is a power leak.

35 minutes ago, DataGolfer said:

"Be Better Golf" is the poster child of how swing thought addiction can lead perpetual mediocrity.

The guy has had 1000s of lessons with 100s of the best coaches and he's never gotten better.

Ironic name to the channel, as it turns out...

Seems to like to play golf swing rather than actually thinking about playing golf. 

1 hour ago, DataGolfer said:

"Be Better Golf" is the poster child of how swing thought addiction can lead perpetual mediocrity.

The guy has had 1000s of lessons with 100s of the best coaches and he's never gotten better.

Ironic name to the channel, as it turns out...

He makes videos to make money and apparently what he is doing is working.  I don't think that the lesson count is in the 1000's nor is the instructor count in the 100s.  Give him time and he will get there though. 

Anyway, how do you know that his swing / game have not improved as result of all of the lessons and practice?  I would think that practicing as much variability as he has would have made him more skilled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nels55 said:

He makes videos to make money and apparently what he is doing is working.  I don't think that the lesson count is in the 1000's nor is the instructor count in the 100s.  Give him time and he will get there though. 

Anyway, how do you know that his swing / game have not improved as result of all of the lessons and practice?  I would think that practicing as much variability as he has would have made him more skilled. 

This.... it would probably hurt his business model to stick with one instructor/philosophy. I doubt he cares much about his handicap anymore and is more concerned with how he can monetize his content. I'm a little envious because getting paid to take lessons and shoot course vlogs sounds like a dream job.

11 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I had to pick up a 3w yesterday and decided to hit indoors to get numbers. The move in this video is one I wanted to try so I exaggerated the move a few times. And my ballspeed picked up 2 mph. 

Another reason I need to get on force plates. My swingspeed and ballspeed are highest when I'm heavy on rotation. But there's a missing link because too much rotation too soon is a power leak.

So, the opposite of what they are saying here at 17:40

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

11 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I'm definitely a front post player and that move he talks about with the band is what I was feeling while doing my exaggerated early lead side to early 2ndry tilt drill earlier in the year. 

All still goes back to my conundrum of pushing up and back from the loaded lead side opens me up super fast while staying closed a split second longer in transition makes me move laterally enough that I'm a bit "over my skiis" laterally. 

Open early - shaft kicks out. Stay closed shaft comes down before out.

This game is hard...lol.

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I'm definitely a front post player and that move he talks about with the band is what I was feeling while doing my exaggerated early lead side to early 2ndry tilt drill earlier in the year. 

All still goes back to my conundrum of pushing up and back from the loaded lead side opens me up super fast while staying closed a split second longer in transition makes me move laterally enough that I'm a bit "over my skiis" laterally. 

Open early - shaft kicks out. Stay closed shaft comes down before out.

This game is hard...lol.

The confusion is in the first lateral phase of the swing it is right toe pushing out toward the ball. When the rotation phase starts, it reverses to right toe away from the ball.

19 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

Just tried the band drill...a few observations 

Seems regardless of rear post or front post, a key move is the trail knee not moving laterally early in the downswing...?

Also, it would seem that a trail side move like the grf guys promoted would compliment a trail side pusher and the front post compliments a lead side puller?

2 hours ago, naj959 said:

This.... it would probably hurt his business model to stick with one instructor/philosophy. I doubt he cares much about his handicap anymore and is more concerned with how he can monetize his content. I'm a little envious because getting paid to take lessons and shoot course vlogs sounds like a dream job.

The course vlogs don't pay the bills

5 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Seems regardless of rear post or front post, a key move is the trail knee not moving laterally early in the downswing...?

Also, it would seem that a trail side move like the grf guys promoted would compliment a trail side pusher and the front post compliments a lead side puller?

Yes, early downswing, right hip is abducting, knee not kicking in.

He's a media guy in Hollywood. I forget the specifics... but his golf business is making the video content for all these coaches he films with.

A little quid pro quo... respect the hustle.

But he hasn't gotten better at golf in the 3-4 years I've been paying attention. Swing looks better, scores don't.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DataGolfer said:

He's a media guy in Hollywood. I forget the specifics... but his golf business is making the video content for all these coaches he films with.

A little quid pro quo... respect the hustle.

But he hasn't gotten better at golf in the 3-4 years I've been paying attention. Swing looks better, scores don't.

I don't pay close attention, I just watch when he has an instructor I like on, but where does he post his scores? I think the most frustrating thing is how much he interrupts the instructors he has on.

He's been, vaguely, a 3-5 handicap for the entire time his channel has existed.

I think the "interrupting" you're pointing out is the problem... he's living in a world of "A-ha moments" and smiles and nods at every teacher, knows how to say and do the right thing...

But at the end of the day, doesn't synthesize and "know"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DataGolfer said:

He's been, vaguely, a 3-5 handicap for the entire time his channel has existed.

I think the "interrupting" you're pointing out is the problem... he's living in a world of "A-ha moments" and smiles and nods at every teacher, knows how to say and do the right thing...

But at the end of the day, doesn't synthesize and "know"

Unfortunately, he lives in the same space as most golfers…it’s not my athleticism that’s holding me back or lack of commitment to get 1% every week doing this one thing…I’m just lacking one piece of information or a feel that will glue it all together. 

Imo…it’s arrogance that holds people back…myself included. 

12 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

It’s true that Brendon is not a very good host. At the same time; in the last few years he has featured some of the best and smartest golf minds in the world on his channel and it’s free. 

That's exactly why I watch the channel sometimes.

But man, you have the best instructors in the world on and then constantly try to finish their sentences, aha moment or not, it's so tough. I mean at least 50% of the time when he does that, he doesn't even say what they are going to say. If you're gonna have the best minds on, facilitate, don't try and indirectly teach by showing them you think you know what they are going to say next.

15 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Here's a few things to chew on:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JayMas said:

That's exactly why I watch the channel sometimes.

But man, you have the best instructors in the world on and then constantly try to finish their sentences, aha moment or not, it's so tough. I mean at least 50% of the time when he does that, he doesn't even say what they are going to say. If you're gonna have the best minds on, facilitate, don't try and indirectly teach by showing them you think you know what they are going to say next.

I think that part of it is frustrating to everyone who watches. Part of being a good host is to know when to stay quiet and he lacks that awareness. It has been that way since day 1 and not likely to change. I think at this point if you’re going to watch, you have to take it for what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Just did it in my chair and it works without manipulation. 

Does that mean I'm normal? Lol

It's not that what im doing is optimal as much as I was showing that forward hip rotation is caused by the right foot pulling backwards. When Im in the lateral phase in transition is when I'm actually pushing out with the right toe to hold rotation back to let lateral set in for pressures shift to lead foot.

• Like 1