2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Is Ping ChipR worth it?

JP1000

16 hours ago, erock9174 said:

One could say the same thing about your Mini Driver.

"only guys that use those, are guys who can't figure out how to hit a driver in the fairway".  I have read that time and time again on forums.

Way I see it, if it helps a golfer use it.  

I could use my 8 or 9i toe down but my iron shafts are graphite and when I choke down on them to play a chip they feel super light and I lose the head.  With the ChipR, the weight/heft is there.

I am not a great golfer by any means..play to around a 7-9 cap depending on the day, and have used some form of a chipper for about 2-3 seasons now. 

I have no need for a 3w as it would just burn strokes for me.  I took out my 64* wedge for the same reason.  Had a 14th slot so I choose to make it a chipper.  Do I need it?  not really but sometimes I get in a spot on the course where the lie is really tight and I just don't like what I see with the high bounce wedges I game.  I can just bump the chipper and it works out. 

Other times i will get into that no mans land around 20-50 yds and something just doesn't feel right with hitting a wedge so I just play a chipper like a long lag putt.  most of the time it works out and gets me pretty tight.  

Fair enough. Have you ever tried playing the same sort of shot with a hybrid? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Remember that (depending on skill level) players typically leave themselves between 5 and 18 chip shots per round. So, a Chipper is not a 'niche" club.

It's "niche" in that it's a club that only performs one specific type of shot.

If you're a bump and run kind of guy (or a person who should be using that technique), then the ChipR may have a spot in your bag.

I bought one for my wife, as she struggles green side. But once she figured out how to chip with her 52°, the ChipR didn't go back in the bag.

I find a 52° wedge much more versatile green side, if you spend the time to learn different techniques with it. However, for those that like the bump n run technique, the ChipR is an interesting club. I just can't get comfortable with it, though I could never really make a 7/8/9i chip work well for myself either. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kthomas said:

If you're a bump and run kind of guy (or a person who should be using that technique), then the ChipR may have a spot in your bag.

I bought one for my wife, as she struggles green side. But once she figured out how to chip with her 52°, the ChipR didn't go back in the bag.

I find a 52° wedge much more versatile green side, if you spend the time to learn different techniques with it. However, for those that like the bump n run technique, the ChipR is an interesting club. I just can't get comfortable with it, though I could never really make a 7/8/9i chip work well for myself either. 

Exactly.

There are already enough clubs in our bags that only do one thing well (specifically driver and putter). When I learn a new shot I want it to be as versatile as possible and translate to other clubs. The shot encouraged by a chipper is not versatile and doesn't translate to other clubs. 

If you play the same course every time and it happens to be one where a chipper proves extremely useful, then great. I'm imagining a relatively flat course with minimal greenside bunkering. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kthomas said:

Yes, but it's a shot that (depending on skill level) a player should face between 5 and 18 times per round.

The best players are aware of where a missed approach should leave their ball, which is a green side chip shot (not a short side  pitch or lob).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Exactly.

There are already enough clubs in our bags that only do one thing well (specifically driver and putter). When I learn a new shot I want it to be as versatile as possible and translate to other clubs. The shot encouraged by a chipper is not versatile and doesn't translate to other clubs. 

If you play the same course every time and it happens to be one where a chipper proves extremely useful, then great. I'm imagining a relatively flat course with minimal greenside bunkering. 

I believe it depends on whether a player wants to lower his/her scoring average. Consider that if he/she is not consistently getting the ball up and down then leaving chip shots (instead of pitches or lobs) may improve the up and down game. So, the strategy goes back to the approach shot, when a green is missed,  where the player leaves his/her ball.

Augusta National is a hilly, well bunkered course every fan of golf has seen on television. Masters contestants leave themselves lots of chip shots rather than pitches or lobs.

47 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Yes, but it's a shot that (depending on skill level) a player should face between 5 and 18 times per round.

The best players are aware of where a missed approach should leave their ball, which is a green side chip shot (not a short side  pitch or lob).

For sure.

If the bump n run is your technique, and the ChipR helps you accomplish it, then by all means.

20 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I just feel like this POV needs to be represented when this subject comes up. For some reason chipper fans feel threatened by it. That’s not my intent. 

Not threatened. I just believe players with a scoring average above 72 should consider any club (s) that may help lower scores.

Obviously , for green side short shots one can swing wedges, or 8-irons or hybrids or the putter etc... But if he/she is not consistently getting the ball up and down then why not try a Chipper club?

On 10/16/2023 at 6:21 PM, erock9174 said:

One could say the same thing about your Mini Driver.

"only guys that use those, are guys who can't figure out how to hit a driver in the fairway".  I have read that time and time again on forums.

Way I see it, if it helps a golfer use it.  

I could use my 8 or 9i toe down but my iron shafts are graphite and when I choke down on them to play a chip they feel super light and I lose the head.  With the ChipR, the weight/heft is there.

I am not a great golfer by any means..play to around a 7-9 cap depending on the day, and have used some form of a chipper for about 2-3 seasons now. 

I have no need for a 3w as it would just burn strokes for me.  I took out my 64* wedge for the same reason.  Had a 14th slot so I choose to make it a chipper.  Do I need it?  not really but sometimes I get in a spot on the course where the lie is really tight and I just don't like what I see with the high bounce wedges I game.  I can just bump the chipper and it works out. 

Other times i will get into that no mans land around 20-50 yds and something just doesn't feel right with hitting a wedge so I just play a chipper like a long lag putt.  most of the time it works out and gets me pretty tight.  

This is well put. Does it work for you is always the question.  For me, I can hit low shots close to the green with my PW so I don't need one. I make a fool of myself with a 460 driver, so I game mini's. Again this is about you as a player, its not about pandering. 

• Like 3

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

FWIW, I've now tried my 9 iron for chipping (from fairway up to 20-30 yards out) in two rounds.  More upright, toe down a bit, and putter stroke, like several have suggested above.  I like the results, and I'll work on it more in the off season to hone in distance control.  It doesn't work for me so well off close green side rough: there, my 54 degree wedge seems more effective.  Again, thanks for the collective advice provided on this thread.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JP1000 said:

FWIW, I've now tried my 9 iron for chipping (from fairway up to 20-30 yards out) in two rounds.  More upright, toe down a bit, and putter stroke, like several have suggested above.  I like the results, and I'll work on it more in the off season to hone in distance control.  It doesn't work for me so well off close green side rough: there, my 54 degree wedge seems more effective.  Again, thanks for the collective advice provided on this thread.

You might find a little more success with a PW, GW, or also using that SW from that distance. Keep experimenting. In my experience, you'll find one that just feels right because the distance the ball goes matches what you expect in your mind's eye. Good luck.

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

On 10/17/2023 at 11:03 AM, me05501 said:

Fair enough. Have you ever tried playing the same sort of shot with a hybrid? 

I have with 4h, 5h and even a 6i (hybrid style iron) and it never worked out well for me.   I had no distance control or feel.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

On 10/18/2023 at 7:48 AM, me05501 said:

Buying a chipper to fix your short game is identical to buying a putter to fix your putting. It might work for a minute but it isn’t a real solution. 

I question how many people don't need to improve their chipping? My guess is the number is less than 1% of the people playing golf.

It's a shot that nearly all players face a dozen or more times per round. So unless that player has a scoring average of 72 then he/she probably needs to improve their chipping game.

Certainly technique lessons and practice is helpful, and  a club in the bag designed (shaft length, head weight, sole shape etc..)specifically for the chip shot may also be of help.

I know lots of guys who shoot 75 to 83 who consider themselves to be respectable chippers only because they don't chunk or blade their chip shots.

But if they're leaving themselves 10 foot par putts all day and making bogeys, is their chipping game truly respectable?

From the videos I’ve seen, it’s definitely a low, close greenside bump and run club. Some may say that chipping is between 5 and 10 strokes a round; however, bump and run, depending on your course, is probably 1/3 of those strokes. I missed 5 greens yesterday in 9 holes: one was a traditional B&R and one was a very soft short B&R. One was a pitch with 54 and two were lofted 60 degree pitches. Bump and run is the easiest short game shot: stand close, add a bit of shaft lean, pull feet close together, set ball back in stance a bit, use the torso to hit the ball and make sure you are hitting the ball with the back of your lead hand in feel. You can hit a bump and run with any loft club: 9 is popular (42 degrees) but you can adjust the face on any club as well. I used a 60 yesterday when I needed bump and run but very little speed; I just closed the face toe-up a tad and lofted it 3 feet. My coach recommended that I move through the ball with the outside of my lead arm, just to keep arms/torso/hands nice and tight.  

That shot, when working with a good pro, could be learned in 15 minutes. It’s close to a putting stroke. And sure, the ChipR would make that shot easier. But now you’ve lost the versatility of height that you would have by opening/closing a face of a different club and you’ve pulled a wedge out of your bag. Although honestly, anyone who really finds value out of a ChipR probably should leave the lob wedge at home. At my course which runs at 10+ most of the time, you’ll need more loft than the ChipR. I typically B&R with my P or 50; occasionally my 54. With a 42 loft, you’d barely touch the ball with the ChipR and still find it past the hole unless you had a huge runout; it would be one of those situations where no more than 15% of the shot’s distance was spent in the air.  

I’d say go for it if regular B&R is working for you, but as you get better, you should outgrow it at some point as you learn to use your irons to make the same shot. You’ll have more versatility.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

I question how many people don't need to improve their chipping? My guess is the number is less than 1% of the people playing golf.

It's a shot that nearly all players face a dozen or more times per round. So unless that player has a scoring average of 72 then he/she probably needs to improve their chipping game.

Certainly technique lessons and practice is helpful, and  a club in the bag designed (shaft length, head weight, sole shape etc..)specifically for the chip shot may also be of help.

I know lots of guys who shoot 75 to 83 who consider themselves to be respectable chippers only because they don't chunk or blade their chip shots.

But if they're leaving themselves 10 foot par putts all day and making bogeys, is their chipping game truly respectable?

I respectfully disagree. While I may have 5 to 10 somewhat greenside shots in a round, only 1/3 are traditional chips or bump and runs where you can fligtht the ball 20% or less of the distance to the hole. Unless you are just short of the green on our course, you are in greenside rough. I may get 2 typical bump and runs per round that are coming off of a tight fairway-like lie. The rest are in deeper rough that either need more loft or more club to clear the ball; more club means more loft is needed to keep distance in check.   

For example, I was maybe 2 feet off the green yesterday, 20 feet above the hole. I need 3 feet of carry that would roll 10 feet on a flat green. It's rolling 20 as I'm above the hole. And I'm in rough. 

If the ChipR is the only tool in your bag, you don't have a shot here that doesn't result in a 2-putt. Maybe worse as you'll be so far past the hole that you have a 40 footer coming back.  I hit a 60 degree with a bit of shaft lean, bumped it just enough to let it carry that 3 feet, and left myself a 3-footer for par. 

The previous hole, par 5, my second shot was 25 yards from the hole but short sided with a bunker in the way. I didn't have much of a shot and I hit a lofted 60 a 20 feet past the hole and 2-putted for par. That's a good outcome. If I was relying on my ChipR as my bail out club, I am totally screwed here. 

My thoughts are that while it is a niche club and easy to hit, it could be detremential if relied on too much. People will practice primarily with it because it's easy to use in a controlled practice environment. Get out onto the course with a short-sided carry situation or deep rough lie that will require a fuller swing and those that haven't been practicing with those higher lofted clubs and swings will do some serious damage to their score. If you end up practicing with those higher lofted clubs (which is a requirement to be a decent golfer) then you can easily learn to B&R with them as well. 

Now if someone wants to invent a ChipR lob wedge for the constant short-sided shots I always handcuff myself with, I'm all in! 

Edited by RoyalMustang
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, erock9174 said:

I have with 4h, 5h and even a 6i (hybrid style iron) and it never worked out well for me.   I had no distance control or feel.  

Same here.  Rarely see that used by pros, occasionally on the sr tour.  
my issue is the face is too hot, ball goes too far with the stroke equivalent to a putting stroke for the same distance.  Adjusting the stroke to account for the hot face can affect one’s (on the green) putting stroke.

I use the toe down with an iron method, more reliable.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Now if someone wants to invent a ChipR lob wedge for the constant short-sided shots I always handcuff myself with, I'm all in! 

I have a Maroon Dot 60 Ping lob wedge. I recently took it out of the bag but I haven’t ruled out putting it back in. It’s pretty magical. 
About as upright as a chipR. 

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

3, 4, 5 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

7 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I respectfully disagree. While I may have 5 to 10 somewhat greenside shots in a round, only 1/3 are traditional chips or bump and runs where you can fligtht the ball 20% or less of the distance to the hole.

Much of shooting consistently low scores is leaving missed shots with an easy up and down. 

Had the yips in my short game from last fall to mid spring this year.  Out of desperation, I tried both the Ping ChipR and the Cleveland Smart Sole C Chipper.

The Smart Sole was the better of the two for me.   The added loft on the Cleveland SS made it about a 70% carry and 30% roll in most situations.  The ChipR was closer to a 50/50 club.   

Both clubs are very well made, look good at address, and have great feel.  I ended up sticking with the Cleveland and added 1" to the length and I also installed a jumbo Tour Wrap grip on it.

They are both great chippers but I liked being able to carry the ball in the air a little longer with the Cleveland.  My home course doesn't have fringes. It has 1 1/2" gnarly bermuda right up to the edge edge of the putting surface.  

My short wedge game is back for now but the Cleveland will stay out in the garage just in case.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Much of shooting consistently low scores is leaving missed shots with an easy up and down. 

Sure-easier said than done when you are 218 out to an elevated green and the only "short rough" is a small patch right in front of the green. Bunkers line the right side sides and deep rough exists everywhere else. While I may not be short sided, if I'm 10 yards left of the green, I need to pitch or hit a lofted pitch. Anything right is the same or a bunker shot. Yesterday I saved par as I was able to hit a 25-yard lofted wedge up to the green that rolled out another 5 yards and gave me an 8-footer par putt. That's your standard non-GIR 2nd shot on that hole. The ChipR, while useful in some instances, can't help you on that hole unless you leave it just short in a very small landing area.  

I think for chipping, the ChipR makes sense and could take the place of a different club on certain courses, specifically those that don't have a lot of deeper rough, bunkers and terrain around the greens. Plenty of Texas courses are like that, especially those that were thrown out into a prairie without much grass being laid down outside of fairways and greens. But on my course, the club wouldn't get much action. If you don't have a stock pitch shot in your bag here, you are in big trouble. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jarediogolf said:

I have a Maroon Dot 60 Ping lob wedge. I recently took it out of the bag but I haven’t ruled out putting it back in. It’s pretty magical. 
About as upright as a chipR. 

I’ve never even heard of that! Although I watched a video on lofted wedge setups and was much more accurate yesterday. I saved par from about 30 yards to a lofted green and on two other holes, hit my approach from 45 yards to within 8 feet. I think I just had a bad setup and was using too much lower body, creating variance.

Chippers have been made for a long time.  Not monitoring it but seemed a while since I’d seen one.  Ping is probably killing it now but I wonder if they even make it in two years time.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

On 10/24/2023 at 10:51 AM, RoyalMustang said:

I respectfully disagree. While I may have 5 to 10 somewhat greenside shots in a round, only 1/3 are traditional chips or bump and runs where you can fligtht the ball 20% or less of the distance to the hole. Unless you are just short of the green on our course, you are in greenside rough. I may get 2 typical bump and runs per round that are coming off of a tight fairway-like lie. The rest are in deeper rough that either need more loft or more club to clear the ball; more club means more loft is needed to keep distance in check.   

For example, I was maybe 2 feet off the green yesterday, 20 feet above the hole. I need 3 feet of carry that would roll 10 feet on a flat green. It's rolling 20 as I'm above the hole. And I'm in rough. 

If the ChipR is the only tool in your bag, you don't have a shot here that doesn't result in a 2-putt. Maybe worse as you'll be so far past the hole that you have a 40 footer coming back.  I hit a 60 degree with a bit of shaft lean, bumped it just enough to let it carry that 3 feet, and left myself a 3-footer for par. 

The previous hole, par 5, my second shot was 25 yards from the hole but short sided with a bunker in the way. I didn't have much of a shot and I hit a lofted 60 a 20 feet past the hole and 2-putted for par. That's a good outcome. If I was relying on my ChipR as my bail out club, I am totally screwed here. 

My thoughts are that while it is a niche club and easy to hit, it could be detremential if relied on too much. People will practice primarily with it because it's easy to use in a controlled practice environment. Get out onto the course with a short-sided carry situation or deep rough lie that will require a fuller swing and those that haven't been practicing with those higher lofted clubs and swings will do some serious damage to their score. If you end up practicing with those higher lofted clubs (which is a requirement to be a decent golfer) then you can easily learn to B&R with them as well. 

I couldn’t agree more with this entire post. The ChipR is useless when you’re short-sided in the rough. My home course generally doesn’t have much fringe, either — you’re either on the green or in relatively thick rough, unless you landed short in the fairway. I could see even just 4-5 more degrees of loft making the ChipR a much more useful option. 

It seemed to get better YouTube reviews from reviewers in the UK. Are greens generally a little slower there? I’ve never been, and have no idea, just curious because it would explain a lot.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

2 hours ago, eric61 said:

I couldn’t agree more with this entire post. The ChipR is useless when you’re short-sided in the rough. My home course generally doesn’t have much fringe, either — you’re either on the green or in relatively thick rough, unless you landed short in the fairway. I could see even just 4-5 more degrees of loft making the ChipR a much more useful option. 

It seemed to get better YouTube reviews from reviewers in the UK. Are greens generally a little slower there? I’ve never been, and have no idea, just curious because it would explain a lot.

Yes; UK and other areas run slower because courses aren't expected to be putting on PGA events every week. US courses should try it now and again. Instead Joey 30-cap is gonna grind over his fourth putt. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

Any chance anyone with the ChipR take out the toe screw and weigh it for me. Trying to troubleshoot something. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

PING PLD Anser 2D

I have decided to part ways with the ChipR I got last week and go back to my Cleveland Smart Sole C.

If I had room I would keep both of them in the bag as I feel both serve a purpose for me.

As been discussed above, sure any of these shots could be done with another club in the bag, but sometimes it's nice to have the chipper in the bag for certain situations and extra level of comfort.

I found for me that I tend to lean on a chipper closer to the green than for longer bump and runs where I think the ChipR shines.  So for that reason I will go back to using a 6-7-8-9i etc for punch outs and for longer bump and run type shots.   Then when I need the situational help around the green I will use the Smart Sole. 

PING PLD Anser 2D