2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ball differences

Bsudgolf

Ok Ive recently changed my swing and hitting the ball much better. I was playing the z star XV cause it was longer. Not this is the crazy part, I've since switched to the reg Z Star and I hit it Further than the XV even though the XV is the "distance" ball. Why would the reg Z Star now be longer for me than the XV which use to be longer for me??

4 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Ok Ive recently changed my swing and hitting the ball much better. I was playing the z star XV cause it was longer. Not this is the crazy part, I've since switched to the reg Z Star and I hit it Further than the XV even though the XV is the "distance" ball. Why would the reg Z Star now be longer for me than the XV which use to be longer for me??

You've changed your launch conditions; and now the Z Star is the longer ball.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Because everything in golf (life) is relative?

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Who knows. It's hard to judge the differences without knowing what has changed about your swing, how the ball flight has gotten better, and what the characteristics of said ball flight were before and after.

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

21 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

But you would think that if the XV is supposed to be the "longer ball" that regardless of any change it would still be longer?

Not sure what your swing numbers are, but from just a numbers perspective, let's say 2400 spin is optimal for you. If you were a little flippy and added loft at impact, it's possible the XV would spin at 2400 and Z star could spin at 2700. If you fixed this flaw, then we could see the XV drop to 2100 spin and not stay in the air long enough, while the Z star is now spinning at 2400.

Like others have said, there's no "longest" ball, just a ball that will fit your swing better than others depending on your numbers.

Edited by BlueDragonKorea
  • Like 1

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

14 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

But you would think that if the XV is supposed to be the "longer ball" that regardless of any change it would still be longer?

Not necessarily. One must remember that distance, especially off the driver, comes from high launch and low spin. That gives the best combination of carry and roll.

The ARE limits though where too high launch and/or too low spin will begin to give less distance rather than more.

Pre-swing change you MAY have produced too much spin and therefore the lower spinning ball worked fine to get you in the "proper" launch window (launch angle and spin rate).

Post-swing change MAY have changed those numbers to less than optimum with the old ball to where now the higher spinning ball "finds" that best launch window (for you) better than the old ball.

Add to that your old swing may have been much less efficient vis-a-vis contact.

Basically there are a lot of variables,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

4 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Not necessarily. One must remember that distance, especially off the driver, comes from high launch and low spin. That gives the best combination of carry and roll.

The ARE limits though where too high launch and/or too low spin will begin to give less distance rather than more.

Pre-swing change you MAY have produced too much spin and therefore the lower spinning ball worked fine to get you in the "proper" launch window (launch angle and spin rate).

Post-swing change MAY have changed those numbers to less than optimum with the old ball to where now the higher spinning ball "finds" that best launch window (for you) better than the old ball.

Add to that your old swing may have been much less efficient vis-a-vis contact.

Basically there are a lot of variables,,,,,,,,,,,

Makes sense, I just know that now the Reg Z Star is noticably longer than the XV by around 12yds. Now I haven't compared that to like a Pro V1x or CSX or any other X type ball. It's just between the srixons 

7 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Makes sense, I just know that now the Reg Z Star is noticably longer than the XV by around 12yds. Now I haven't compared that to like a Pro V1x or CSX or any other X type ball. It's just between the srixons 

I guess one would have to ask where you're getting your numbers.

12 yards longer ? Sounds like a lot, but is that carry or total ?

Are you using a launch monitor, or on course performance ?

For pure #s an indoor LM is superior provided you can make the same swings as outdoors. Some claim they just can't hit indoors.

Swing speed, ball speed, launch angle and spin rates generally tell the story. :classic_wink:

Titleist Pro V1X

The 2 balls I play are ProV1x and DASH -ProV1x.  Technically, the latter is longer, yet at times the former ProV1x is longer, yet spin wise, they are opposites.  

To have the shorter ball suddenly be 12+yards longer than the distance ball, as a result of your swing, is peculiar.  Improved ball striking is only worth a few yards.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

10 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

The 2 balls I play are ProV1x and DASH -ProV1x.  Technically, the latter is longer, yet at times the former ProV1x is longer, yet spin wise, they are opposites.  

To have the shorter ball suddenly be 12+yards longer than the distance ball, as a result of your swing, is peculiar.  Improved ball striking is only worth a few yards.  

I use a PRGR on the Course and Since I've changed my swing it has allowed me to gain 4mph on my SS. I'm sure all this is having something to do with Spin and Launch. I am hitting it higher now therefore I'm carrying it a bit further 

6 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

I use a PRGR on the Course and Since I've changed my swing it has allowed me to gain 4mph on my SS. I'm sure all this is having something to do with Spin and Launch. I am hitting it higher now therefore I'm carrying it a bit further 

OK, if your swing has improved, then the distance ball should be the longer of the two.

I hit Callaway's ChromeSoft (distance ball) longer than both of my ProV1x balls.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

53 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

I thought the CSX was Their distance ball not the CS??

Regular Chromesoft is a distance ball compared to Chromesoft X, which is comparable to ProV1x.  I've never used any other Callaway or Titleist balls.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

I know certain balls are considered the distance ball but I think this is a general overall statement but it can be different based on if you need more spin, less spin, etc. based on angle of attack and other nuances of your particular swing.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

On 10/24/2023 at 9:13 AM, nsxguy said:

For pure #s an indoor LM is superior

This is one thing I wonder about... An indoor LM can tell you all your launch characteristics, including spin (sometimes, depending on LM). However, it is not equipped with aerodynamic models of every ball on the market, so it can't necessarily tell you what that spin will do, right? It uses an aerodynamic model and computes what the launch characteristics will produce WITH that model. 

At least that's how I understand it. 

So two balls with the same launch characteristics but different dimples and different aerodynamic properties will fly differently, but an indoor LM will assume (and give you numbers) that will be identical as it's using a model for that purpose, not the properties of each ball. 

If I'm 100% wrong on this, please tell me. I'm just throwing it out there as this is how I understand the current technology to work...

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 10/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, Pepperturbo said:

OK, if your swing has improved, then the distance ball should be the longer of the two.

I hit Callaway's ChromeSoft (distance ball) longer than both of my ProV1x balls.

This isn't necessarily true.  The harder ball should provide more ball speed, but distance is dependent on lots of other factors, like the aerodynamics of the ball.  I hit the AVX further than the left dash because I'm a high ball hitter and the AVX's lower flight helps me out even though it is softer and gives me a bit less ball speed.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

1 hour ago, grochol17 said:

This isn't necessarily true.  The harder ball should provide more ball speed, but distance is dependent on lots of other factors, like the aerodynamics of the ball.  I hit the AVX further than the left dash because I'm a high ball hitter and the AVX's lower flight helps me out even though it is softer and gives me a bit less ball speed.

That's true with the ProV line, but distance balls are made for anyone.  If the person has the horsepower and uses the driver's sweet spot, the distance ball should be longer; that's what it's designed for.  I don't have the SS I once had, but still muster some horsepower that easily hits distance balls further than my best ProV1x smack.  Each of my low cap buddies does just about the same, only further than me.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

34 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

That's true with the ProV line, but distance balls are made for anyone.  If the person has the horsepower and uses the driver's sweet spot, the distance ball should be longer; that's what it's designed for.  I don't have the SS I once had, but still muster some horsepower that easily hits distance balls further than my best ProV1x smack.  Each of my low cap buddies does just about the same, only further than me.

Wait isn't the Pro V1x a "Distance" ball?? I thought any "X" type ball is that brands distance ball where like say the Pro V and the reg Z Star is not their distance ball. My SS is around 95 so I still swing it pretty good even though I've lost a lot since I've gotten older

Edited by Bsudgolf

46 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Wait isn't the Pro V1x a "Distance" ball?? I thought any "X" type ball is that brands distance ball where like say the Pro V and the reg Z Star is not their distance ball. My SS is around 95 so I still swing it pretty good even though I've lost a lot since I've gotten older

To a degree, all balls are distance balls.  This depends on where the emphasis is in construction, and for what user market.  For slower SS's emphasis is on distance with some spin.  All premium multi-cover balls are long, how long depends on the user mechanics and SS.  Doesn't mean softer AVX or Tour Speed won't be longer. 

ProV1x & -ProV1x have different spin and both are firmer feel profiles, yet both are long like softer ProV1.  How long depends on the users' swing speed, spin numbers, and desired trajectory.  The guy who plays ProV1x (me) or -ProV1x (me) doesn't use softer ProV1 or AVX due to their respective softer profiles.  Doesn't mean we can't make them work.  I carry a few AVX for bad weather, as they are softer therefore easier to compress vs ProV1x or DASH -ProV1x.  But most of the time I use ProV1x, and switch to DASH -ProV1x in hot weather.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey