Shoe OCD- Zero drop vs conventional shoes

bm11

I'm sure I'm overthinking this like I do with everything, but still, am I the only one who feels like shoes make a big difference in swing? I have been wearing True's (zero drop) for the past year. I have a "waterproof" pair I wear to golf outside, and a knit pair I wear to practice inside (OCD much?) I play mostly in the early morning here in the northeast, and I am a walker. Due to the dew, waterproofing is very important to me, and it is lacking with the True's. That said, I bought a pair of Ecco Biom G5's, and they feel like platform shoes in comparison, and they feel like they are messing with my swing. Furthermore, zero drop vs conventional drop completely changes your ankle/foot angle. 

Taking it one step further, the difference with a conventional (10-12mm) heel drop changes wrist to floor measurement by about a half inch. Doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to justify being fit into the correct length irons. 

Pretty sure I'm going to go all-in on the True's and order one more pair to be able to rotate them (they take forever to dry out) and just suck up the sub par waterproofing. Everything just feels off from setup/address on a full swing to putting ETC when trying to swap. 

Anyone else find the differences to be significant?

You're looking at heel drop a lot when the thickness of the sole itself on the shoes is a massive difference and for sure can change feel/difference of them in just walking and the swing. Try something with a bit less cushion and could be a better option. 

I wore the True's a bit earlier in the year and there is zero cushion on them just a slab of rubber and the insole so a lot of shoes will feel like platforms compared to these. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

6 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

You're looking at heel drop a lot when the thickness of the sole itself on the shoes is a massive difference and for sure can change feel/difference of them in just walking and the swing. Try something with a bit less cushion and could be a better option. 

I wore the True's a bit earlier in the year and there is zero cushion on them just a slab of rubber and the insole so a lot of shoes will feel like platforms compared to these. 

Yeah, I think I'm used to being right on the ground with the Trues. I haven't had any comfort issues, only waterproofing issues. I see now that they have a 2 year waterproofing guarantee, which I will now pursue. 

2 minutes ago, bm11 said:

Yeah, I think I'm used to being right on the ground with the Trues. I haven't had any comfort issues, only waterproofing issues. I see now that they have a 2 year waterproofing guarantee, which I will now pursue. 

I tired them for like 5 rounds and while I did like them my calves and feet got tired with like 2-5 holes to go depending on course layout which was annoying, switched to something else and have been quite happy since. I guess I need just a touch of cushion but still rigid. 

They do have good CS do I'd definitely contact them they'll probably have a new pair out your way. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Just now, MattM97 said:

I tired them for like 5 rounds and while I did like them my calves and feet got tired with like 2-5 holes to go depending on course layout which was annoying, switched to something else and have been quite happy since. I guess I need just a touch of cushion but still rigid. 

They do have good CS do I'd definitely contact them they'll probably have a new pair out your way. 

Good call. I was going to order a second pair today to rotate out, they had one color of the OG 1.2 for $79.99, but the size 12 is now out of stock. 

Just now, bm11 said:

Good call. I was going to order a second pair today to rotate out, they had one color of the OG 1.2 for $79.99, but the size 12 is now out of stock. 

They have sales all the time just grab them on the next one. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

4 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

They have sales all the time just grab them on the next one. 

The crappy thing is that I ordered the Ecco Biom G5's on Prime Try Before You Buy but never read the terms before trying them out on the course. I do like them and the waterproofing is awesome but they are so radically different that I hate the idea of practicing in True's and playing in those. I ordered a pair of Biom H4's for a practice shoe, but as noted in this thread, I don't like the feel inside. 

17 minutes ago, Warrick said:

The lux tour is 6mm drop, reliably waterproof, lux hybrid seems as well, own both

I had done exactly what the OP has, I went all zero drop and loved it thoroughly.  Have since transitioned, no pun intended, to the transitional drop from True.  Excellent shoes and best of both worlds for me.

i do agree heel drop does have some impact on my perceived lie angle, keeping all my shoes consistent has helped me.

• Like 2

Took me about half a season to get used to the change in height. Changed my lie angle around and thought about going shorter in length. Now I can't go back to my FJ's and my nice pairs will just sit and collect dust. I'll be trapped with True's for a while. 

Side note: I putt better with the true og because I can feel the slope better. 

I am a big fan of lower drop shoes. For golf, I currently settled on Ecco Biom Hybrids, which seem to have a low’ish drop (4mm) and a relatively thinner sole than other options. I have not tried the zero drop True’s but they are in the list for next year. My other big focus is a decently wide toebox. Lots of nice looking shoes out there but for some reason (I’m looking at you Nike, Adidas, and Footjoy) the toe boxes are extremely narrow. 

I do have some True Ripstops that I use primarily for practice. They are ok, but they just don’t feel the same as other low drop shoes I have. Something with the heel cushion is just slightly off. 

drn92

On 11/27/2023 at 11:34 AM, bm11 said:

I'm sure I'm overthinking this like I do with everything, but still, am I the only one who feels like shoes make a big difference in swing? I have been wearing True's (zero drop) for the past year. I have a "waterproof" pair I wear to golf outside, and a knit pair I wear to practice inside (OCD much?) I play mostly in the early morning here in the northeast, and I am a walker. Due to the dew, waterproofing is very important to me, and it is lacking with the True's. That said, I bought a pair of Ecco Biom G5's, and they feel like platform shoes in comparison, and they feel like they are messing with my swing. Furthermore, zero drop vs conventional drop completely changes your ankle/foot angle. 

Taking it one step further, the difference with a conventional (10-12mm) heel drop changes wrist to floor measurement by about a half inch. Doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to justify being fit into the correct length irons. 

Pretty sure I'm going to go all-in on the True's and order one more pair to be able to rotate them (they take forever to dry out) and just suck up the sub par waterproofing. Everything just feels off from setup/address on a full swing to putting ETC when trying to swap. 

Anyone else find the differences to be significant?

How early do you get to the course to put a level on the tee boxes?

Seriously though, I think you're over-thinking the actual height differences -- but I agree that your perception is your reality, and you should go with whatever you think helps you play best.

I feel like I might (might) play better in my G/Fore Gallivanters than I do in my Jordan ADG3s, but I don't think it's so much about the heel vs. no-drop, and more about the spikes and stiffer overall structure of the G/Fores. I think it's maybe easier to get out over my toes too much in the ADGs, and I just feel more planted in the G/Fores. But outside of those things, I've never considered any height differences in them being a factor in anything. After all, the terrain is ever changing course by course, hole by hole, and day by day.

Now, I think Asics and/or Mizuno made golf shoes at one point that appeared to have really tall soles/heels. They might be a different story.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drn92 said:

I am a big fan of lower drop shoes. For golf, I currently settled on Ecco Biom Hybrids, which seem to have a low’ish drop (4mm) and a relatively thinner sole than other options. I have not tried the zero drop True’s but they are in the list for next year. My other big focus is a decently wide toebox. Lots of nice looking shoes out there but for some reason (I’m looking at you Nike, Adidas, and Footjoy) the toe boxes are extremely narrow. 

I do have some True Ripstops that I use primarily for practice. They are ok, but they just don’t feel the same as other low drop shoes I have. Something with the heel cushion is just slightly off. 

drn92

I have a set of Biom C4's that I ordered last week. They are Hybrid's, I think? Either way, they feel really tall at the heel compared to Trues. 

19 hours ago, bm11 said:

I have a set of Biom C4's that I ordered last week. They are Hybrid's, I think? Either way, they feel really tall at the heel compared to Trues. 

I’ve never tried the C4’s from Ecco. But I’m sure they have a higher stack height and drop as compared to the True Originals. The Biom Hybrids are a good compromise for me, especially compared to some of the other brands in the market. 

drn92

On 11/27/2023 at 10:10 PM, drn92 said:

drn92

Adidas ZG23's have a decently wide toe box.

I just bought 2 pairs of the True Feels and after 5 rounds, I’m 100% convinced I putt better in zero drop shoes. Both for reading greens and a feeling of stability standing over the putt. Not really surprising to me as I pretty much live in slip-on Vans. 

I haven’t noticed any difference on regular shots, but I also haven’t tried switching back to my Adidas. I’ll be picking up a couple pairs of their “waterproof” shoes and hoping it’s enough on wet days. 

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

To me the True FS-01 is the best, basically a comfy leather sneaker, spray with Crep, near waterproof, never wet in dew, not used in actual rain, but have Lux Hybrid and Lux Tour for that. I don’t even look at other shoe brands anymore.

I had one new backup pair of white FS-01, but grabbed 2 more on BF, one for $138, second for $99. I am set.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x