2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping Hoofer vs. Hoofer Lite for carrying in the summer, then loading up with extra gear for winter range trips

eric61

Golf season is over here in the Midwest, which means I've been tinkering with the stuff I can mess with indoors: putters and bags. 😅

I walk and carry 95% of my rounds. My Sun Mountain 2.5+ has seen better days, and I'm ready to retire it and move on to a different brand/model. Two major reasons: 1) I carried that Sun Mountain countless rounds, yet never really got the strap system exactly right. And 2) I don't need my bag to be waterproof, but a little bit of water resistance would be nice.

Two I'm looking at are the Hoofer and Hoofer Lite. I think they both solve different problems for me -- but I'm stuck, and somehow I've never owned a Ping bag before, so I figured I'd ask for some advice.

Hoofer Lite: Folks seem to rave about the carry experience of this bag, even though it's a little lighter than the Sun Mountain 2.5+. Like I said, I walk and carry nearly all of my rounds, so saving some weight and carrying well are critical. 

Hoofer: In the winter, on the other hand, I tend to load up my bag with training aids, a few extra clubs or shafts, and some warm winter gear -- my local outdoor range is open year-round, and there are heaters. They don't work very well, but they're good enough that I can go hit balls if it's above 35 degrees or so. Plus, I'm not walking a round, so I don't really care how heavy my bag is. 

The GolfWRXer in me says "then just get both." But the GolfWRXer in me is ... uh, at odds with my wife, who doesn't care how many golf bags I have per se, but does care where I'm going to be storing them! 

My main question here is ... as a carry bag, how much of a difference do you notice between the Hoofer and Hoofer Lite? Is it a tiny difference? Or is it pretty significant? If the difference is small, I don't mind the extra weight in the summer to get the benefits of fitting my use case in the winter. But if carrying the standard Hoofer is a pain in the butt compared to the Hoofer Lite, then I definitely don't want to go that route.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I have no experience with the Hoofer Lite, but the standard Hoofer is easy to carry, has a great strap system, and pockets o' plenty. The club tangle, however, is a damn nightmare, to the point I'm replacing the bag before next season. It's ridiculous that a bag at that price point has zero internal dividers. Just wanted to point that out as it's a major downside of that bag that is rarely discussed.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

The club tangle, however, is a damn nightmare, to the point I'm replacing the bag before next season. It's ridiculous that a bag at that price point has zero internal dividers. Just wanted to point that out as it's a major downside of that bag that is rarely discussed.

What year is your Hoofer? From what I've seen in stores, the 2023 model does have internal dividers that extend from the five on top. If it turns out otherwise, the one I recently ordered will get returned shortly after its arrival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maigre said:

What year is your Hoofer? From what I've seen in stores, the 2023 model does have internal dividers that extend from the five on top. If it turns out otherwise, the one I recently ordered will get returned shortly after its arrival.

Good point, I believe it's a 2022. I really hope they fixed it; it ruins the bag.

• Like 1

I have both and have been a user of both.  I also walk 95% of my rounds carrying. 

The weight difference is negligible but I prefer the shape of the Hoofer Lite tube against my back more.  The HL is also good at keeping what I bring with me to a minimum. 

The Hoofer's tube shape isn't bad, it's just a bit larger.  And, if I didn't have the HL, I might not have noticed.  I don't use a range finder, but if I were to use one, I might find the magnetic pockets in the Hoofer more useful.    

The straps and balance of the hoofer/hoofer lite are just awesome.  Picking it up and placing it down is a breeze.  Other straps I've found can be annoying to take off, annoying to use just 1 strap when going short distances, or struggle to balance properly.

The back padding pocket where the rain cover is stored often goes unmentioned. But, it's genius and I keep an extra microfiber towel in there too that further adds to the padding. 

Due to my preference for keeping my bag free of unnecessary items and the tube shape fitting better on my back, the HL is the bag I use most of the time.  There can be club tangle. But, once I learned to insert/extract only without the legs extended, it became the lesser evil compared to all the good it has going for it.  

Edited by Binson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

D - Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

24 minutes ago, Binson said:

I have both and have been a user of both.  I also walk 95% of my rounds carrying. 

The weight difference is negligible but I prefer the shape of the Hoofer Lite tube against my back more.  The HL is also good at keeping what I bring with me to a minimum. 

The Hoofer's tube shape isn't bad, it's just a bit larger.  And, if I didn't have the HL, I might not have noticed.  I don't use a range finder, but if I were to use one, I might find the magnetic pockets in the Hoofer more useful.    

The straps and balance of the hoofer/hoofer lite are just awesome.  Picking it up and placing it down is a breeze.  Other straps I've found can be annoying to take off, annoying to use just 1 strap when going short distances, or struggle to balance properly.

The back padding pocket where the rain cover is stored often goes unmentioned. But, it's genius and I keep an extra microfiber towel in there too that further adds to the padding. 

Due to my preference for keeping my bag free of unnecessary items and the tube shape fitting better on my back, the HL is the bag I use most of the time.  There can be club tangle. But, once I learned to insert/extract only without the legs extended, it became the lesser evil compared to all the good it has going for it.  

This is awesome, incredibly useful insight. Thank you for sharing it. A couple quick follow-up questions:

Is the back padding pocket for the rain cover on both the Hoofer and Hoofer Lite, or just the Hoofer?

And, is there noticeably less club tangle on the Hoofer, or is it about the same?

• Like 1

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

9 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

I have no experience with the Hoofer Lite, but the standard Hoofer is easy to carry, has a great strap system, and pockets o' plenty. The club tangle, however, is a damn nightmare, to the point I'm replacing the bag before next season. It's ridiculous that a bag at that price point has zero internal dividers. Just wanted to point that out as it's a major downside of that bag that is rarely discussed.

Hoofers have had internal dividers for a long time.  Unless you mean something different then what I think of as internal dividers. 

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

5 hours ago, eric61 said:

This is awesome, incredibly useful insight. Thank you for sharing it. A couple quick follow-up questions:

Is the back padding pocket for the rain cover on both the Hoofer and Hoofer Lite, or just the Hoofer?

And, is there noticeably less club tangle on the Hoofer, or is it about the same?

Rainhood is stored in the hip pocket on both models.  I didn't see any difference in club tangle, but do prefer the 4 way Lite top vs 5 way on Hoofer.  I don't have a need for 2 dividers where I keep my longer clubs.

• Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

17 hours ago, eric61 said:

The back padding pocket is there for both models (as brew4eagle kindly also pointed out). 

I also agree with Brew on similar club tangle and personal preference for the 4 way of the HL over the 5 way of the Hoofer.  But a 5 way is not a deal breaker either. I just personally like having my putter sit on top of my woods in the single upper quadrant.  The putter really never gets stuck in that position (with a Scotty Matador Pistol grip being the largest on my putters) even when the legs are deployed.  The tighter opening can also mean less chatter while carrying. 

I think the deciding factor between the two is if the HL pockets and design is sufficient for your needs. If not, then the Hoofer still is a really comfortable carry.  Giving up a little bit of comfort vs the HL for more pockets and magnetic pockets. 

I've learned to manage the tangle and I don't think it's much of a problem when removing a club with the legs not deployed, but can sometimes lead to an iron in the middle quadrants not quite going fully back into its slot. I just continue on walking with it sticking out a bit.  With how well the bag balances, it doesn't really have a chance to fall out and it usually will resolve itself by the next shot or when the next club is extracted.  

So, yes it can tangle but it's not really even something I think about anymore.  It doesn't affect my play and it's such a nice overall carrying experience that I'm personally not interested in trading some of that way for less club tangle with other options.  If you're using jumbo grips on all clubs with a super stroke on the putter, you may have a different experience though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

D - Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

On 12/1/2023 at 10:00 PM, brew4eagle said:

Hoofers have had internal dividers for a long time.  Unless you mean something different then what I think of as internal dividers. 

I'm talking about the strips of fabric that divide the sections of the bag from top to bottom. Mine does not have this, so once the clubs pass through one of the openings at the top, there's nothing from keeping them from getting tangled together. 

3 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

I'm talking about the strips of fabric that divide the sections of the bag from top to bottom. Mine does not have this, so once the clubs pass through one of the openings at the top, there's nothing from keeping them from getting tangled together. 

What year is the bag?  Hoofers and Hoofer Lites have the fabric dividers now.  They go about 7/8 of the way down.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I find the Lite to be more comfortable to carry due to its more compact overall size, more so than the slight difference in weight.  I actually prefer the 4 way top configuration of the Lite vs the 5 way of the standard Hoofer when it comes to carry a couple extra clubs and shafts to the range.  The biggest difference between the 2 bags in my opinion are the accessory pockets.  The Lite has plenty of room for the essentials including rain gear or a jacket for colder weather.  The standard has a bunch of pockets which is overkill for most unless you're the type player that packs your bag like you're going on a 1 week camping trip.

• Thanks 1

I am very much a Ping guy, so I am a bit biased (this goes back to being a lefty, and Ping is great for lefties). But I have a newer Hoofer Lite and it is perfect. It does everything I want it to, and nothing I don't. It is perfect to carry, works well in a push or power cart when needed. I couldn't ask for it to do much more. I agree with above, the actual body of the bag is much more comfortable than the larger Hoofer. If you walk and carry the majority of your rounds, I would think the Lite would work better. It is just that much more comfortable. Club tangle... meh, I don't find it an issue. Once or twice a round I have to stand the bag up, and all the clubs fall down properly. It happens from time to time, but it doesn't bother me at all. Certainly not a reason not to use the bag, I think it is a minor issue (others seem to find it a bigger deal). I have probably owned 20 Ping bags over the course of my golf life (Hoofers, L8, 4 Under, Moonlites, etc.) and the Hoofer Lite seems to be the perfect size. Again, everything I need and nothing I don't. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

4 hours ago, RobS said:

I find the Lite to be more comfortable to carry due to its more compact overall size, more so than the slight difference in weight.  I actually prefer the 4 way top configuration of the Lite vs the 5 way of the standard Hoofer when it comes to carry a couple extra clubs and shafts to the range.  The biggest difference between the 2 bags in my opinion are the accessory pockets.  The Lite has plenty of room for the essentials including rain gear or a jacket for colder weather.  The standard has a bunch of pockets which is overkill for most unless you're the type player that packs your bag like you're going on a 1 week camping trip.

5 minutes ago, mikedejong33 said:

I am very much a Ping guy, so I am a bit biased (this goes back to being a lefty, and Ping is great for lefties). But I have a newer Hoofer Lite and it is perfect. It does everything I want it to, and nothing I don't. It is perfect to carry, works well in a push or power cart when needed. I couldn't ask for it to do much more. I agree with above, the actual body of the bag is much more comfortable than the larger Hoofer. If you walk and carry the majority of your rounds, I would think the Lite would work better. It is just that much more comfortable. Club tangle... meh, I don't find it an issue. Once or twice a round I have to stand the bag up, and all the clubs fall down properly. It happens from time to time, but it doesn't bother me at all. Certainly not a reason not to use the bag, I think it is a minor issue (others seem to find it a bigger deal). I have probably owned 20 Ping bags over the course of my golf life (Hoofers, L8, 4 Under, Moonlites, etc.) and the Hoofer Lite seems to be the perfect size. Again, everything I need and nothing I don't. 

This is awesome, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you both. (And @mikedejong33, I'm quickly becoming a Ping guy too -- I'm also a lefty, and the flat-minus setting on hybrids and fairway woods is magic.) 

I think I'm going with the Hoofer Lite. Now the next question: Which color?!

The ones I'm considering are blackout: 

image.png.e8346467a4d4ec669b5e18ac8188d4e4.png

...this one with some yellow, which goes with the G430 stuff well:

image.png.04560d39233d07a90fbe537fa334b9eb.png

...and whatever the heck this is. I love it, but hate it, but also love it:

image.png.aa48d3193d54c405f36700eb5bafc3b3.png

5 minutes ago, eric61 said:

This is awesome, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you both. (And @mikedejong33, I'm quickly becoming a Ping guy too -- I'm also a lefty, and the flat-minus setting on hybrids and fairway woods is magic.) 

I think I'm going with the Hoofer Lite. Now the next question: Which color?!

The ones I'm considering are blackout: 

image.png.e8346467a4d4ec669b5e18ac8188d4e4.png

...this one with some yellow, which goes with the G430 stuff well:

image.png.04560d39233d07a90fbe537fa334b9eb.png

...and whatever the heck this is. I love it, but hate it, but also love it:

image.png.aa48d3193d54c405f36700eb5bafc3b3.png

This is mine... its slightly older model, but I really like it.

20211209_105740.jpg.8f997c3781b1e703760e6c425adf9d82.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, mikedejong33 said:

This is mine... its slightly older model, but I really like it.

20211209_105740.jpg.8f997c3781b1e703760e6c425adf9d82.jpg

https://www.golftown.com/en-CA/bags-and-carts/golf-bags/limited-edition---hoofer-lite-stand-bag-40133758.html?dwvar_40133758_color=RED%2FGOLD&cgid=63-golf-bags#start=1

If you can order from Canada, Golftown has some cool Limited Edition colors as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, eric61 said:

Golf season is over here in the Midwest, which means I've been tinkering with the stuff I can mess with indoors: putters and bags. 😅

I walk and carry 95% of my rounds. My Sun Mountain 2.5+ has seen better days, and I'm ready to retire it and move on to a different brand/model. Two major reasons: 1) I carried that Sun Mountain countless rounds, yet never really got the strap system exactly right. And 2) I don't need my bag to be waterproof, but a little bit of water resistance would be nice.

Two I'm looking at are the Hoofer and Hoofer Lite. I think they both solve different problems for me -- but I'm stuck, and somehow I've never owned a Ping bag before, so I figured I'd ask for some advice.

Hoofer Lite: Folks seem to rave about the carry experience of this bag, even though it's a little lighter than the Sun Mountain 2.5+. Like I said, I walk and carry nearly all of my rounds, so saving some weight and carrying well are critical. 

Hoofer: In the winter, on the other hand, I tend to load up my bag with training aids, a few extra clubs or shafts, and some warm winter gear -- my local outdoor range is open year-round, and there are heaters. They don't work very well, but they're good enough that I can go hit balls if it's above 35 degrees or so. Plus, I'm not walking a round, so I don't really care how heavy my bag is. 

The GolfWRXer in me says "then just get both." But the GolfWRXer in me is ... uh, at odds with my wife, who doesn't care how many golf bags I have per se, but does care where I'm going to be storing them! 

My main question here is ... as a carry bag, how much of a difference do you notice between the Hoofer and Hoofer Lite? Is it a tiny difference? Or is it pretty significant? If the difference is small, I don't mind the extra weight in the summer to get the benefits of fitting my use case in the winter. But if carrying the standard Hoofer is a pain in the butt compared to the Hoofer Lite, then I definitely don't want to go that route.

You should really be looking at the hoofer craz e lite. If you walk most round, it’s an awesome bag. 

if you are fixed on the lite vs regular, I would recommend the regular, you gain so much extra vs the lite. The zipper range finder pocket can be one annoying quickly, vs the magnet in the regular. 

I will never get another bag, I have one hoofer that is 22yrs old. My vessel VLS is broken after 2 years. 

I don’t have experience with the hoofer lite but I do have a hoofer and SM 2.5+. Once you put all the clubs in the bag the weight difference is noticeable if comparing side by side but on its own, it negligible. The biggest difference for me is the hoofer has more room to store and carry more stuff so I tend to fill it with more ‘stuff’ which makes it a heavier bag. The SM almost forces me to be more minimalist, which I like. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic here, glad I found it.  I’m in market for new bag and have literally been looking at every bag on market now from Ping, Titleist, Vessel, Stitch, Jones, etc.  I’m going back to tired and true Ping.  No bag is perfect but for me, I walk/pushcart all my rounds.  I want a bag that just makes sense and is not going to tire me out in the middle of August when there’s 100% humidity going on and I’m hoofing the back 9 at my club.    They’re nice looking at these leather/pleather bags but the weight and heat when going gets tough, dunno.  I rarely ride a cart.   The Hoofer lite seems the perfect fit for me all around.   You guys know, the Ping bags on the website now, are these all the 2024 bags they offer as far as color etc or do they release new randomly?   I’ll check w my pro because I’d like to also get my name and logo embroidered on ball pocket which I think they can do.  Thanks