2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Solo January Golf Trip

My birthday is in January, I'm not one for big birthday celebrations but if I can use it as an excuse for a quick 3-4 day golf trip I will.

My question is where do I go now? I was just in Arizona in November but prices are basically at peak and wouldn't be very wallet friendly. Do I look for a package somewhere more reasonable like in the Carolinas? Florida? Texas? Vegas? California? Just looking for some suggestions for me to see if worth it or not. I've been wanting to go to the Pinehurst area but might do that with buddies next winter.

I'm up in Toronto, Canada but I could and probably will fly out of Buffalo, NY for costs and usually less likely to transfer flights. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Personally, the weather in the Carolinas can be quite iffy at that time. Why not go Streamsong in Florida? That would be my choice. Not sure what your budget is however.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

11 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

Personally, the weather in the Carolinas can be quite iffy at that time. Why not go Streamsong in Florida? That would be my choice. Not sure what your budget is however.

That is my one hesitation with the Carolinas looking at the weather. I might look to Streamsong and see if they have a decent 2 night package then can just find a cheap hotel an course for the other day(s). But I doubt that with everything I hear about Streamsong. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

This time of year is perfect in Monterey

Pebble

Spyglass

Poppy Hills

Pasatiempo

Bucket list birthday.  American flys right in to Monterey (book to land in the afternoon as evening flights can often be rerouted due to fog/clouds).  Flight out requires showing up 45mins-1hr before the flight at the small airport.  Book a cheaper hotel, and work the phones and the proshop early at pebble to try and get on.

5 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

This time of year is perfect in Monterey

Pebble

Spyglass

Poppy Hills

Pasatiempo

Bucket list birthday.  American flys right in to Monterey (book to land in the afternoon as evening flights can often be rerouted due to fog/clouds).  Flight out requires showing up 45mins-1hr before the flight at the small airport.  Book a cheaper hotel, and work the phones and the proshop early at pebble to try and get on.

Looking at flights very quickly seems like more of a headache with the travel time and cost. Everything is 8-10 hours from Buffalo or Toronto with 1-2 stops either into Monterey or San Jose. Not something I'd want to do right now but a trip like that I'd love to do one day. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Just now, MattM97 said:

Looking at flights very quickly seems like more of a headache with the travel time and cost. Everything is 8-10 hours from Buffalo or Toronto with 1-2 stops either into Monterey or San Jose. Not something I'd want to do right now but a trip like that I'd love to do one day. 

Totally get it.  I have the same issue flying east.  Often not worth the day of travel each way.  Kind of spoiled out of Phoenix.  Direct flight to monterey 1hr45mins. 

Streamsong seems to be the best bet forthe east coast.  Im not sure on availability this close out.  I have stayed at the best western in Bowling Green before, but im not sure how the tee times are now.  All of my other visits have been at the resort.  You could fly into Orlando (better local than tampa IMO)  Stay at a cheaper accomodation in Orlando and play a few rounds there.  Book one night as Streamsong and play the day before and after.  Red>Black>Blue IMO.

• Like 3

I'm in the Buffalo area and Florida would top the list for a quick 3 or 4 day trip in January.  If you're just looking for golf, check out Mission Inn Resort, they have a reasonable stay and play package. It's 45 minutes from the Orlando Airport, but not much else around there.

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

4 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Totally get it.  I have the same issue flying east.  Often not worth the day of travel each way.  Kind of spoiled out of Phoenix.  Direct flight to monterey 1hr45mins. 

I did peak at Phoenix again but looking at course rates not happening. For me going to Charlotte or Florida is the same price wise you probably get to Monterey, actually Buffalo to Charlotte is basically that. 

4 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

I would give Kiawah a glance. That's off peak season. My wife and I have been multiple times the first week of February and the weather is always pretty decent. I would hesitate to go to like Pinehurst in January but South Carolina is typically a bit warmer.

I'll take a look at Kiawah as well have to look into the flights but that would be awesome for sure. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

For a low budget trip consider Myrtle Beach.  It ain't necessarily the flashiest, but there's some decent golf to be had down there and it's off peak.  Weather won't exactly be warm and sunny, but also not intolerable and you could have courses pretty much to yourself in January.

I did a Southern Pines trip in early February 2023. It was really dirt cheap... Didn't play any of the Pinehurst resort courses, but played Tobacco Road, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Mid South, Southern Pines, etc. Often we were the only ones at the course, and if you play 36 holes, the play it again rate is really cheap like $30 to $50, so it makes it worth while. Our weather was pretty good... the first half of the week it got up to plus 15 to 18 C. We had one rainy day, and one frost delay. But still, I wore shorts basically the whole trip. If interested, I used a travel booking company that helped us out, I could share with you.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

22 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Looking at flights very quickly seems like more of a headache with the travel time and cost. Everything is 8-10 hours from Buffalo or Toronto with 1-2 stops either into Monterey or San Jose

Id say better to narrow it down from the least number of connections and direct only. Not sure what that narrows it down to but figure toronto should have a decent amount of them even to the west coast. 

If there is an option to san jose direct that would not be bad as its a short drive to santa cruz where pasatiempo is and monterey not too far from there. 

There has to be direct flight to Dallas which has some good tracks although it can get quite cold. 

Just now, mikedejong33 said:

I did a Southern Pines trip in early February 2023. It was really dirt cheap... Didn't play any of the Pinehurst resort courses, but played Tobacco Road, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Mid South, Southern Pines, etc. Often we were the only ones at the course, and if you play 36 holes, the play it again rate is really cheap like $30 to $50, so it makes it worth while. Our weather was pretty good... the first half of the week it got up to plus 15 to 18 C. We had one rainy day, and one frost delay. But still, I wore shorts basically the whole trip. If interested, I used a travel booking company that helped us out, I could share with you.

I would never tell a Canadian what cold is:)  But that far north be ready for the possibility of 45 degrees for the high and 30 for the low.  Both of my winter trips to North Carolina for golf were chilly with light rain.  Take that with a grain of salt as I am an Arizona boy.

2 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

I would never tell a Canadian what cold is:)  But that far north be ready for the possibility of 45 degrees for the high and 30 for the low.  Both of my winter trips to North Carolina for golf were chilly with light rain.  Take that with a grain of salt as I am an Arizona boy.

Oh yeah for sure. And we did get lucky, but again, we were the only ones playing at some world class courses for probably half price. So I thought it was worth the risk!

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

is Cabot Citrus open yet? Could be a nice option 

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

19 minutes ago, mattt987 said:

I'm in the Buffalo area and Florida would top the list for a quick 3 or 4 day trip in January.  If you're just looking for golf, check out Mission Inn Resort, they have a reasonable stay and play package. It's 45 minutes from the Orlando Airport, but not much else around there.

Just looked at Mission Inn and from the 18th to 21st would run me about $950 then have to factor in flights, rental and actually a hotel on the 17th. Might be out of budget right now unless I do it for the Friday and Saturday night and check out Sunday. 

16 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

For a low budget trip consider Myrtle Beach.  It ain't necessarily the flashiest, but there's some decent golf to be had down there and it's off peak.  Weather won't exactly be warm and sunny, but also not intolerable and you could have courses pretty much to yourself in January.

I'll look into Myrtle, I don't need amazing weather like pants and a 1/4 zip I'd be more than happy to be in. 

10 minutes ago, mikedejong33 said:

Yeah I'm looking at that area next year with buddies between Christmas and NYE and it's dirt cheap for sure, it would be through Talamore Golf but if you have a different company send a PM might be one I use next year.

6 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

Id say better to narrow it down from the least number of connections and direct only. Not sure what that narrows it down to but figure toronto should have a decent amount of them even to the west coast. 

If there is an option to san jose direct that would not be bad as its a short drive to santa cruz where pasatiempo is and monterey not too far from there. 

There has to be direct flight to Dallas which has some good tracks although it can get quite cold. 

I did there was only 1 flight it was almost 11 hours of travel, the coast to coast travel is tough unless major hub to major hub. 

Dallas I've thought of as well, have a buddy there but don't want to crash randomly. 

5 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

45 is tough one, if sunny no problem if cloudy and windy it's beyond hell. 

2 minutes ago, mikedejong33 said:

Oh yeah for sure. And we did get lucky, but again, we were the only ones playing at some world class courses for probably half price. So I thought it was worth the risk!

That's why it's tempting to me right now lol. 18-36 holes for next to nothing I might risk too. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 minutes ago, jjthomp2 said:

is Cabot Citrus open yet? Could be a nice option 

Looked at their website and....no but looks really nice.

6 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Go to Bandon Dunes......why go anywhere else when you can play the best of the best for cheap prices and the weather will be fine!

Why? The travel. I'd need to dedicate a full day of travel there and a full day back to get into PDX or Eugene and 2-3 connections with a golf bag I don't want to stress over on a short trip.

Week long sure but not this short of a trip. But trust me Bandon is on the bucket list but something I'd want to do with friends not solo as well or not even friends just anyone I know golf wise. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Could do Hilton Head, Charleston, Savannah maybe. 

Although the only place in Sav you could get on that's worth it is Savannah Harbor. Not sure what kind of shape its in these days. All are within a 2 hour drive though. 

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

1 minute ago, dfeldss said:

Could do Hilton Head, Charleston, Savannah maybe. 

Although the only place in Sav you could get on that's worth it is Savannah Harbor. Not sure what kind of shape its in these days. All are within a 2 hour drive though. 

Always been on my mind that area, is Charleston the closest large airport? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

6 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Always been on my mind that area, is Charleston the closest large airport? 

Never been to CHS airport, but I would think Savannah/Hilton Head is bigger. Don't quote me on that though. I know SAV has dailies to JFK, so maybe you could connect through Buffalo?

Edit: Just checked, CHS is actually a little bigger/more flight options

Edited by dfeldss

Lefty

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

35 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Looked at their website and....no but looks really nice.

Why? The travel. I'd need to dedicate a full day of travel there and a full day back to get into PDX or Eugene and 2-3 connections with a golf bag I don't want to stress over on a short trip.

Week long sure but not this short of a trip. But trust me Bandon is on the bucket list but something I'd want to do with friends not solo as well or not even friends just anyone I know golf wise. 

Best Bang for your buck is staying at Southern Pines and you can get dirt cheap prices...play pine needles, mid pines and southern pines....prob pay about $400 and replays are $50...throw in tobacco road for $100 and you are playing 4 courses in the top 50

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

2 minutes ago, dfeldss said:

Never been to CHS airport, but I would think Savannah/Hilton Head is bigger. Don't quote me on that though. I know SAV has dailies to JFK, so maybe you could connect through Buffalo?

Quick look and Google Flights says it's basically the same price and travel time, both would have to transfer through Charlotte but Savannah/Hilton Head is more ideal if doing that area, CHS would be for Kiawah Island.

But would want to avoid JFK for transfers especially with a golf bag, Charlotte is a better one to deal with. 

2 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Best Bang for your buck is staying at Southern Pines and you can get dirt cheap prices...play pine needles, mid pines and southern pines....prob pay about $400 and replays are $50...throw in tobacco road for $100 and you are playing 4 courses in the top 50

Oh that's so tempting price wise to do, roll the dice on weather and pack a lot of sweaters lol. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

6 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Quick look and Google Flights says it's basically the same price and travel time, both would have to transfer through Charlotte but Savannah/Hilton Head is more ideal if doing that area, CHS would be for Kiawah Island.

But would want to avoid JFK for transfers especially with a golf bag, Charlotte is a better one to deal with. 

Don't blame you that'd definitely be easier. Even ATL with Delta. 

Not super familiar with Charleston's accessible golf, but Savannah isn't the best other than Savannah Harbor. I'm sure HHI has plenty more (and Harbor Town), but they're really close. Maybe a 45 minute drive/ride 

• Like 1

Lefty

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

Easiest looks to be direct to Orlando or Fort Lauderdale.  I did 3 days of golfing in the Orlando area and enjoyed it.  You don't have to trek out to Streamsong to find good courses.  There are a bunch worth playing. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

4 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Easiest looks to be direct to Orlando or Fort Lauderdale.  I did 3 days of golfing in the Orlando area and enjoyed it.  You don't have to trek out to Streamsong to find good courses.  There are a bunch worth playing. 

If you have any suggestion throw some forward please someone sent me a list of about 12 courses they played and ranked personally but I like to see multiple. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

The standout course for me was Southern Dunes.  Highly recommend.  And it wasn't very expensive either.  I would have been fine doing multiple rounds there. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

24 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

The standout course for me was Southern Dunes.  Highly recommend.  And it wasn't very expensive either.  I would have been fine doing multiple rounds there. 

Looks nice but can only book min 2 golfers according to their sites and I'm flying solo. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Wx is a big risk. I can be cold down to central FL if you get unlucky in Jan. 

Safe bets:

Orlando or anywhere south of that in FL.

Less safe bets but probably ok:

RTJ esp southern Alabama, Highland, Magnolia for ex. 

South Texas (I have no experience there)

If you can book last minute (and be assured of ok weather) then a lot of places NC/SC etc are probably fine.

• Like 2