2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Elite golf schools video

jomatty

Has anyone seen this video and if so did they have any thoughts?  I’m particularly interested in who is implementing the pelvis/hips in the way they suggest, and if I am even understanding them correctly.  It seems like they want you to start the swing with the pelvis or trail hip moving forward which is different than how I’ve always envisioned what the hips do in the golf swing.  It seems like they want this to happen as one fluid move to start the swing, but perhaps I’m misunderstanding and it is something that is set before the swing.  I’m just not really sure but thought it was an interesting video and was curious who else had watched it and what their thoughts were.

I really like what these guys are teaching, but I think these guys have done a lot better videos vs than the one you referenced about on what they are trying to teach.  I think this youtube video is much more informative.  

But like anything else on the internet, if what you see makes sense and works for you, go with it.  If it doesn't forget it.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 11:38 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

I like it 

Well there you go!  I like it when I ask a question and one of the few guys I believe really knows answers the question.  It sounds like, even though it seems a little counterintuitive, that I’m going to need to explore this rabbit hole a bit more.

As a mechanical engineer I love these guys. They break stuff down for me so I can understand all the physical elements of the golf swing. Amazing detail.

I really wish I could have learned from coaches like them back when I was 12.

But, I showed my less technically minded friend their videos and his eyes glazed over within about a minute. They're not for everyone.

If you're naturally athletic, most of this stuff is probably second-nature and thinking about it would be weird, there's no need for it.

2017 Taylormade M2 (9.5 set to 9.0) Golf Pride Tour Wrap Midsize with 1 extra layer of tape on a Kuro Kage Silver Series 60 S

Ping i15 3 wood (15.5)

Ping i15 3 hybrid (20)

Ping i15 4 hybrid (23)

Mizuno MP-30 irons 4-PW 1150 tour s

Titleist Vokey Oil Can 52, 56

Wilson South Side 34"

I’ve been through 3 lessons with these guys.  

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, Deadaimz said:

How was it?

They’re good.  Break things down simple enough.  I don’t typically agree with 100% of their whole swing motion but I have placed a few of their positions into my takeaway and the rotation aspect.  I’m not into the dip loading move. I don’t need a swing rebuild just need someone I trust to tell me straight up what I’m doing that’s causing issues.  They do that well 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 12/14/2023 at 12:18 PM, Duffer Mark said:

Interesting how different their approach is than someone like Larry Cheung's. 

Larry is one of those super shallow squat type teachers from what I have seen in the past. It's funny all these type teachers when you see their actual swing on the course, they look funny and have EE. Same was for this guy when I saw his swing of him actually playing golf. 

1 minute ago, virtuoso said:

It's pretty easy to hit a ball off a mat in a room, especially with little 7-iron punchies, and make all the alignments look pretty. It usually breaks down outside with a loner club and longer faster swing. Things unravel quite a bit. I've spent some time with some of the popular social media teachers and even some of the teachers well known outside of social media You'd be surprised how poorly a lot of these guys actually hit the ball. They can't really do what they're teaching.....partly because what they're teaching doesn't actually work. You can make a lot of weird stuff appear to work with 7-iron punch shots.

exactly my thoughts as well. Doing those squaty, super shallow 7 iron punches at super slow speed. Things don't hold up under the torques of a full swing and actually hitting to a target. 

@MK7Golf21, a guy I golf in a summer league with took online lessons from Cheung which is how I got turned on to him. Cheung has certainly helped him and his channel features what look to be decent students. Granted, that’s all anecdotal. Admittedly, Cheung’s approach seems different than what might be considered the norm.

Anyway, do you think Cheung’s method is not one to follow?

3 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

@MK7Golf21, a guy I golf in a summer league with took online lessons from Cheung which is how I got turned on to him. Cheung has certainly helped him and his channel features what look to be decent students. Granted, that’s all anecdotal. Admittedly, Cheung’s approach seems different than what might be considered the norm.

Anyway, do you think Cheung’s method is not one to follow?

just depends if it works for you. I’ve tried everything out there probably. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 9:58 PM, stevehj said:

I really like what these guys are teaching, but I think these guys have done a lot better videos vs than the one you referenced about on what they are trying to teach.  I think this youtube video is much more informative.  

But like anything else on the internet, if what you see makes sense and works for you, go with it.  If it doesn't forget it.

To me, very reminiscent of Henrik Stenson's swing.  Especially the lateral shift at the start of the backswing. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:46 AM, jomatty said:

Has anyone seen this video and if so did they have any thoughts?  I’m particularly interested in who is implementing the pelvis/hips in the way they suggest, and if I am even understanding them correctly.  It seems like they want you to start the swing with the pelvis or trail hip moving forward which is different than how I’ve always envisioned what the hips do in the golf swing.

I would like to bump OP for more discussion if I may. Like OP I have also been instructed to start the backswing by moving the right hip back, not forward. I've also been instructed to do something of a Porzak hip bump into my lead side which seems like the polar opposite of this.

The move in question opens up the hips and chest. Monte himself told me to close my shoulders at address. So is the opening bump into the trail side toward the ball mostly a trigger about rhythm more than anything else?

(On a side note: directly after I watched the video in question this video with Milo and lpga Giulia Sergas pops up and low and behold there's Giulia doing the bump in question. Maybe this is one of those things that now that I'm aware of it I'll start seeing it everywhere?)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KD1 said:

I would like to bump OP for more discussion if I may. Like OP I have also been instructed to start the backswing by moving the right hip back, not forward. I've also been instructed to do something of a Porzak hip bump into my lead side which seems like the polar opposite of this.

The move in question opens up the hips and chest. Monte himself told me to close my shoulders at address. So is the opening bump into the trail side toward the ball mostly a trigger about rhythm more than anything else?

(On a side note: directly after I watched the video in question this video with Milo and lpga Giulia Sergas pops up and low and behold there's Giulia doing the bump in question. Maybe this is one of those things that now that I'm aware of it I'll start seeing it everywhere?)

Good questions that I hope someone can answer.  It would be great to hear more of @MonteScheinblum thoughts.  I also use a Porzak bump sort of move.  When I have experimented with this rear hip moving forward sort of a move it feels so different.  Not bad, but very different.  I’m not sure if it is a rhythm/pressure shift move or more than that.  

Have y'all seen the first move Rory makes in the backswing? At very nearly the same time, and before his club passes his right foot (or nearly so), he extends his left knee slightly, and that:

• Opens up his hips and chest a little bit.
  • Pushes him slightly (about 1.4" at pelvis center) to his right).
  • Increases the pressure slightly under his left foot.

You can shift right while slightly (only slightly, and pretty quickly) "opening" up a little.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Have y'all seen the first move Rory makes in the backswing?

Oh okay I didn't see that. I did actually do a quick 10 minute study after my last post and I noted I couldn't see the move in Rory's swing, but I did see it in DJ's and very slightly in Tiger's, Rahm's appears to be an opposite move. But that's about as far as I got in my 'case study' haha... oh and we can't forget about Matthew Wolff!

25 minutes ago, KD1 said:

Oh okay I didn't see that. I did actually do a quick 10 minute study after my last post and I noted I couldn't see the move in Rory's swing, but I did see it in DJ's and very slightly in Tiger's, Rahm's appears to be an opposite move. But that's about as far as I got in my 'case study' haha... oh and we can't forget about Matthew Wolff!

Matt stops, though. It seems to be more of a priming move (for his downswing) for him than the actual start of his backswing.

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

14 minutes ago, KD1 said:

Can ask you @iacas what are your thoughts on this 'hula hoop move' and the rest of the lesson in the first video?

The "Golf Swing Basics" video? I haven't watched it while paying much attention to it — I remember thinking it was a video for beginners before I watched it, and then as I was watching thinking "oh, that's not what it is."

I went back and watched the first little bit until almost 3:00 and… I get what they're going for, but if you actually do that, the center of the pelvis moves toward the ball a bit early in that move (which may or may not be okay for a student). I'm sure they're exaggerating slightly, but you can also shift right a little bit without just immediately spinning (I agree that's a problem for many, as is not turning much at all).

Edit: Sorry, that's not really much of an answer. And I don't know what they're seeing a lot of students do. I don't think the hips have to open up much to start the backswing, but I don't mind if they do a little, again, like Rory.

Edited by iacas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KD1 said:

You think the Porzak lead hip bump is something to start the swing with?  Or a trigger?

Weird, the dozens of videos that cover this only strike me as a setup, not at all something you do to start a swing.  It's no different than lots of instructors wanting the lead hip slightly above trail hip at address.

1 hour ago, CasualLie said:

You think the Porzak lead hip bump is something to start the swing with?  Or a trigger?

Weird

Well hold on there. I didn't say that. And it's beside the point anyway I'd say.

Anyway while we're on the subject, I can't remember but does Porzak have a trigger move he promotes?

Anyone aware of any other instructors that promote this specific hula hoop type trigger move?

@iacas if Rory's move is small is DJs huge?

Edited by KD1

1 hour ago, KD1 said:

@iacas if Rory's move is small is DJs huge?

I'll record both tomorrow if I can remember.

• Like 1