2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Best grips?

If I ever kept a set of irons for more than a season I'd be playing Best Grips MicroPerfs. I could just blow them on and if I sold the irons I could take them off but it's too much hassle.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19° Hybrid

Ping ISI BENI 3-PW

Ping Glide 58ES

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

15 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

If I ever kept a set of irons for more than a season I'd be playing Best Grips MicroPerfs. I could just blow them on and if I sold the irons I could take them off but it's too much hassle.

It's not that bad.  I have a set of GripMaster Roos that are on their third set of irons.  And, I'll be removing a set of Microperfs to transfer to a second set, in the near future.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Another vote for lamkin crossline/utx. Tour velvets don't last and get slick. Never had to replace a crossline. I've got some on 3 years and you wouldn't be able to feel a difference. Play/practice 2-3 times a week 12 months in socal. Never have to wipe them down or clean them.

• Like 2

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-4g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket @13*, Aldila NV Green 55x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, Aldila NV Green 55x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), Project x Catalyst 60 6.0 +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r Standard

Ball: TP5X 2019/2024

On 3/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, Nessism said:

Best?  At what cost?  Many grips from the big companies are $12+ these days.  Nice, no doubt, but non-starters in my world.  

I use Karma Velour grips, $23/15 grips from Amazon.  They are simple rubber grips.  Nothing fancy, nothing bad.  Golf Pride says their Tour Velvet is the #1 grip on the pro tour.  The Karma's are 90% as nice, for pennies on the dollar.

Sorry for my rant.  It's just that some grips are more expensive than the shafts I use...

I'm definitely ordering these next time I regret. I never heard of them before but they look like a tour Velvet knock off and a fraction of the cost.

1 hour ago, AZBRONCFAN said:

I'm definitely ordering these next time I regret. I never heard of them before but they look like a tour Velvet knock off and a fraction of the cost.

Get the version they denote "oversize".  They are just a tiny bit larger than standard.  Their regular grips are a smig under standard.  If there is a knock on these Karma's, that's it.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

On 3/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, sheppick.dan said:

Looking for opinions on the best grip you’ve used. 

I currently use Winn midsize dri tac LT. 

want a soft grip that does well in the rain. 

Dry Tac 2.0 feels much better than the Lite. Also heavier. I love this grip. $7.25-7.99 at Billy Bob’s Golf.

Edited by ahenderX

45 minutes ago, ahenderX said:

Dry Tac 2.0 feels much better than the Lite. Also heavier. I love this grip. $7.25-7.99 at Billy Bob’s Golf.

I enjoy my dri tac 2.0. Mine is the less taper version as I really likewd the mcc +4 when I had them for the lack of taper. If I could consistenly build it to that spec I would just buy the 2.0 regular and build up the bottom!

• 2 months later...

Golf Pride MCC Plus 4. Align or standard doesn't matter, they are phenomenal. I use the MCC Plus 4 on my woods, and my wedges. Then I use the MCC plus 4 Align on my irons. Not to hard. Not to soft. Work great in the rain. Also, the extra wraps at the bottom provide a ton of aid if you tend to struggle with grip pressure. 

Callaway Paradym 12* - GD Tour IZ 7S

Ping G425 Max 14.5* - MCA Kai'li Blue 70S

Titleist TS3 3/19* - Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Blue 8S

Titleist TSI2 4/21* - PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 90 6.0

TM P790 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F - PX LZ 6.0, Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 56.10J - PX 6.0, Titleist Vokey SM8 60.14K - DG S200

TM Spider Tour 35"

Pro V1

• 1 month later...

I recently regripped all of my clubs using Star Grips.

I installed Sidewinder 360* grips on all my irons, wedges, and woods.

There was only one putter grip option on their site, which I used to regrip my putter.

Installation was simple enough. There was a bit of a learning curve when it came to using my air compressor to install the grips, but after installing a couple of grips it became quite simple.

I also applied several layers of buildup tape (also purchased from Star Grips), which I think made getting the grips on and fully stretched a little more difficult.

I've played 10 or so rounds with them in all kinds of conditions and have been happy.

I am a best grips micro perf guy. They feel amazing and wear so well. I have moved them for club to club and they are just as good as when I first installed them. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9* w/ UST LINQ  White 7F5

Callaway Rogue LS 3 Wood w/ UST LINQ Blue 8F5

Callaway Apex UW 19* w/ UST LINQ Blue 8F5

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/ C-Taper 130X

Vokey 50* w/ C-Taper 130X

Vokey 54* and 58* w/ UST Wedge Proto F5

L.A.B. DF3 Broomstick

On 3/2/2024 at 8:16 PM, Nessism said:

Best?  At what cost?  Many grips from the big companies are $12+ these days.  Nice, no doubt, but non-starters in my world.  

I use Karma Velour grips, $23/15 grips from Amazon.  They are simple rubber grips.  Nothing fancy, nothing bad.  Golf Pride says their Tour Velvet is the #1 grip on the pro tour.  The Karma's are 90% as nice, for pennies on the dollar.

Sorry for my rant.  It's just that some grips are more expensive than the shafts I use...

Dittos. I first tried their putter grip that is soooo close to the Baby T (approx. $3). Karma also has a 360 version.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:17 PM, NRJyzr said:

It's not that bad.  I have a set of GripMaster Roos that are on their third set of irons.  And, I'll be removing a set of Microperfs to transfer to a second set, in the near future.

No arguments from me on this.

There is no equal to Gripmaster Roo grips in my opinion.

They are SUPER tacky, last virtually indefinitely and feel great.

Sure the upfront cost is a little higher, but I’ve had sets that last 10 plus years!

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with the Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid and more specifically the Calibrate model? There's a deal on these available at the moment and was considering them. I don't particularly care for the alignment rib but I've read that it's quite subtle and isn't very noticeable especially if you wear a glove. Another grip I've been eyeing is the Lamkin Crossline 360 (Grey), supposed to be a bit softer then the classic Crossline which I found to be a bit rough on the hands.

24 minutes ago, TacoCarl said:

Grips are so personal. 

Do you like soft and tacky or harder and maybe corded ? 

Tour velvet always does me fine. But with the hot, sticky , humid weather I’m now considering cords. I like the Sugarloaf arrow cord, the GP z grip a little too hard for my liking. 

Unfortunately I have very little hands on experience with different grips. Im playing an old Topflite XL7000 box set I bought 2nd hand and same thing with a couple used woods I have in the bag. Stock grips on the irons (whatever they are) and some worn out Crossline grips on the woods which i actually really like lol.

I’ve held some clubs at a local GolfTown with new Crossline’s on them and they felt quite rough on the hands, didn’t really like them. Crossline 360’s felt better but was wondering if people had any real word experience with them in terms of durability and feel. The iron I held was a demo club after all but the grip felt kind of “powdery” almost like it might of needed to be wiped down. 

I’ve hit a few shots at the range with a friendly strangers clubs that had the CP2 grips on them and those felt really good but they are on the pricier side so not sure I’m going to go down that route. Reviews on the ST+2 grips are generally very good but was just curious if anyone here has tried the ribbed Calibrate version. I’ll have to take another visit down to GolfTown and see if anyone clubs have the ST+2’s on them. 

16 minutes ago, oNLy1 said:

Unfortunately I have very little hands on experience with different grips. Im playing an old Topflite XL7000 box set I bought 2nd hand and same thing with a couple used woods I have in the bag. Stock grips on the irons (whatever they are) and some worn out Crossline grips on the woods which i actually really like lol.

I’ve held some clubs at a local GolfTown with new Crossline’s on them and they felt quite rough on the hands, didn’t really like them. Crossline 360’s felt better but was wondering if people had any real word experience with them in terms of durability and feel. The iron I held was a demo club after all but the grip felt kind of “powdery” almost like it might of needed to be wiped down. 

I’ve hit a few shots at the range with a friendly strangers clubs that had the CP2 grips on them and those felt really good but they are on the pricier side so not sure I’m going to go down that route. Reviews on the ST+2 grips are generally very good but was just curious if anyone here has tried the ribbed Calibrate version. I’ll have to take another visit down to GolfTown and see if anyone clubs have the ST+2’s on them. 

What I’m hearing is you don’t have much experience other than holding worn out, old grips. Ok. 

Just get your whole set re-gripped with basic tour velvet 360 (color doesn’t matter but I like the white better) and I’m sure you’ll like them wayyyyyy more than what’s in your set now. They’re also one of the cheapest on the market. 

16 minutes ago, TacoCarl said:

What I’m hearing is you don’t have much experience other than holding worn out, old grips. Ok. 

Just get your whole set re-gripped with basic tour velvet 360 (color doesn’t matter but I like the white better) and I’m sure you’ll like them wayyyyyy more than what’s in your set now. They’re also one of the cheapest on the market. 

Pretty much haha, I looked into tour vevlet a bit previously and they look to be very popular with many golfers but durability seems to be an issue. I don’t want to have to regrip every season so I ended up dismissing these as an option tbh. I also want more of a firmer grip that’s not too rough on the hands. Having said that I’ll have to see if I can get my hands on a demo iron with them on it next time I swing by a golf shop. 

3 minutes ago, oNLy1 said:

Pretty much haha, I looked into tour vevlet a bit previously and they look to be very popular with many golfers but durability seems to be an issue. I don’t want to have to regrip every season so I ended up dismissing these as an option tbh. I also want more of a firmer grip that’s not too rough on the hands. Having said that I’ll have to see if I can get my hands on a demo iron with them on it next time I swing by a golf shop. 

Honestly, don’t worry about durability. All grips wear out eventually and you should expect to change grips every season (year) or two anyway. New grips are an amazing feeling!

and fwiw tour velvet are pretty durable. For a harder compound look to a z-grip or for corded, z-cord

13 minutes ago, TacoCarl said:

Honestly, don’t worry about durability. All grips wear out eventually and you should expect to change grips every season (year) or two anyway. New grips are an amazing feeling!

and fwiw tour velvet are pretty durable. For a harder compound look to a z-grip or for corded, z-cord

Alright I’ll look into those, thanks. Think I might need to learn how to regrip at home as well to cut down on the cost/hassle of getting them done elsewhere in the future. 

3 hours ago, oNLy1 said:

Alright I’ll look into those, thanks. Think I might need to learn how to regrip at home as well to cut down on the cost/hassle of getting them done elsewhere in the future. 

I actually regrip clubs myself, so I highly recommend learning if that’s something that interests you. It definitely saves money and hassle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oNLy1 said:

I'd suggest reading up on "blowing grips on and off".  I regripped the standard way for many years and everything was fine, it was a hassle but I always got it done.  Fast forward to about 6 months ago and I started blowing them on and off with an air compressor and using masking tape vs double back sticky grip tape.  It's been a revelation and it's so easy that I wonder why it isn't the standard practice.

Bag is in flux

5 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I'd suggest reading up on "blowing grips on and off".  I regripped the standard way for many years and everything was fine, it was a hassle but I always got it done.  Fast forward to about 6 months ago and I started blowing them on and off with an air compressor and using masking tape vs double back sticky grip tape.  It's been a revelation and it's so easy that I wonder why it isn't the standard practice.

Yea I think I definitely will end up going that route, I already have a vice and compressor at home as well. Having said that it's not something I'll have to worry about any time soon as I've just been researching grips to figure out what I should put on a new set I'm ordering from this month.

• Like 1

Previously Lamkin UTx was my goto grip, good feel with excellent gripping character.  When I ordered my new irons the UTx were not an option and I went with the Lamkin Sonar+ based on the demo club I swung.  After playing 20+ rounds with the Sonar+ I have become a convert.  The grips have a firm feel providing great feel and feedback with no slippage.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5