2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I230 Thoughts?

BCULAW

I am in the market for new irons. Looking for more forgiveness and easier distance than my current irons (620CB) are offering.   I don’t want to sacrifice feel or consistency. I’ve tried some of the players distance irons (i500 and P790s) and never got comfortable with the gapping. Loved the performance and feel of the ZX7s. They are exactly what I am looking for in terms of feel, forgiveness, and distance, but am not fond of their shape at address for some reason. May go back to them, but currently for something a little different.

I spent some time today with the i230s. Love the look and they felt much better than expected.  Numbers off the matts seemed good - very consistent.  I spin my irons quite a bit, though. I previously had the i210s and really struggled keeping the spin numbers in a playable range. To me, the i230s looked and felt better than the i210s and seem to spin less for me. Am I dreaming?

Can any higher spin players comment on how the i230s work for them?  Any other options like the ZX7s I should check out?

FWIW, I play ZX5’s and love them and am an 8 hdcp. My buddy is a +1 and plays the i230’s and likes them, but doesn’t love the feel. He hit my 4-6 and loved them so much he bought a combo set, ZX5 4-5, ZX7 6-P. He liked the softer feel and distance, but lofts are 2° stronger per club from ZX5 to i230 iirc.

I did a combo set of i230's and G430's last Summer.  I absolutely love everything about the i230's.  I am a low spin player.  Yet, the i230's spin rates are perfect for me.  The consistency and forgiveness exceeds all my expectations.  They launch high and straight for me.  Still able to work the ball if needed.  

The i230’s spin less than the i210’s but they are still a pretty high spin iron for most. You should try them in power spec if you can, would bring launch and spin down a touch. You could also look at the Blueprint S, would at least give it a test. 

As for other irons, I would look at the Titleist T150, Taylormade P770 and Mizuno 245 (or 243). 

The Srixons are great irons, I found them too low spinning for me but I am a low spin player so it sounds like they would work perfect for you, but if you don’t like the look, that can be hard to get past for some. 

I’m playing a combo set of i230 and S55 this year. Absolutely love the i230 long irons! They are incredibly forgiving and easy to hit. 

Treat yourself to a set….. you won’t be disappointed 

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

I gamed the i210 for 2 years and loved them.  I gamed the i230 for a few months last year and was a bit underwhelmed.  I was not getting great turf interaction and they were launching a bit high.  For me, the i210 was a better fit.

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ping Hoofer Lite

I just got a set of the i230s recently.  They  indeed lower spin and lower peak apex for me which is helpful.

i did game the i210s and i do think they got in and out of the turf better than the i 230s.  I also think they felt a little softer.

keeping the i230 because they help me score better due to better control over i210.  Will likely working in 6/7-pw blueprint s at some t

point.

went from i230s to MP245s and couldn't be happier. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

If you don't want to sacrifice feel you shouldn't be shopping Ping, IMO. This is doubly true coming from a one-piece forged club. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

It mostly comes down to what you get along with and what you like to look at. Some clubs just work for some people and some clubs just cause struggles. If you look at a test like this, there's almost nothing in it. The notion that one club spun 200-400 more (or less) and went 1 yard shorter (or 2 longer) impacts score on the golf course is a bit silly when you really think about it. But the fact that one club was easy for Ian to hit right out of the center and another club he struggled with a little bit... that is what's really relevant. Gotta go hit some and just figure out which one is easiest to hit well. Overanalyzing the data is counter productive. 

• Like 4

High spin player here. Currently have a combo set of mkii ZX5’s (4-6) and ZX7’s (7-PW). Also have i230’s 5-PW in power spec. Same shafts in both sets, Modus 105x. Performance is so close, really comes down to feel and how they fit your eye. Kinda wish I had gone ZX5’s all through the set for the added forgiveness, as the ZX7’s are a bit more demanding. i230’s are really sweet though and you can’t go wrong with either. Both sets keep my spin in check, just take your time getting fit into the right shaft. 

• Like 1

Tried I230's but the more compact size in the longer irons put me off them. Slightly lower spinning that I210's as well but for some that's probably not a bad thing as I210's do spin like crazy. 

Srixon's will spin less, possibly significantly less, and should 'feel' better... But feel can be subjective. 

Driver - PXG G4 0811 X 12° - Aldila NV Green 75S 44.5"

Fairway - PXG G4 0341 XF 17.5° - Aldila NV Green 75S 43"

Hybrid - PXG G4 0317 XF 20.5° - Aldila NV Green 85S

Irons - Ping I210 4-U 🔵 - DG 120 S300

Wedge - Ping Glide 4.0 S-12 56° 🔵 - DG S300 

Chipper - Wilson Harmoznized

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado SA

Ball - Vice Pro Neon Lime

1 hour ago, RacineBoxer said:

It mostly comes down to what you get along with and what you like to look at. Some clubs just work for some people and some clubs just cause struggles. If you look at a test like this, there's almost nothing in it. The notion that one club spun 200-400 more (or less) and went 1 yard shorter (or 2 longer) impacts score on the golf course is a bit silly when you really think about it. But the fact that one club was easy for Ian to hit right out of the center and another club he struggled with a little bit... that is what's really relevant. Gotta go hit some and just figure out which one is easiest to hit well. Overanalyzing the data is counter productive. 

Assuming the same set of inputs, all the design computers/AI engines are going to provide more or less identical outputs. All that's left for the humans to do is adjust the resulting design to fit their brand aesthetic. 

The end users are pretty much the same. Some brands look "right" to some players and others look "wrong." Some have an image the user vibes with and others don't.

All the money the brands have spent to carve out a concrete brand image has not gone to waste. It definitely plays into purchase decisions when the products are this similar across the board. 

Just look at that screenshot. If you removed the branding from these heads they'd be more similar than different. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

I don't understand the obsession with these guys, their reviews are mediocre at best, and they are clearly bought and paid for by certain companies. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Catrick_Pantlay said:

I don't understand the obsession with these guys, their reviews are mediocre at best, and they are clearly bought and paid for by certain companies. 

I think they largely built their reputation when they were an independent fitting shop. They release professionally shot and edited content on a very frequent and consistent basis which is why a lot of people are used to tuning in. 

Now they're owned by Club Champion. The content isn't as appealing to me as it used to be. OTOH I wouldn't think Club Champion would want them to be seen as shilling for a specific brand since they sell them all and need to preserve those relationships. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

6 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I think they largely built their reputation when they were an independent fitting shop. They release professionally shot and edited content on a very frequent and consistent basis which is why a lot of people are used to tuning in. 

Now they're owned by Club Champion. The content isn't as appealing to me as it used to be. OTOH I wouldn't think Club Champion would want them to be seen as shilling for a specific brand since they sell them all and need to preserve those relationships. 

You would think that, but you should go get fit there. Everyone ends up being fit into the same thing, I think there is a thread about it. Also their customer service is straight trash, wrong specs, delays for no reason, unresponsive.

Back to the thread, the zx7 for me is super low spin. I really enjoyed the i230 and if the blueprint s didn't come out, I would be in the i230 

• Thanks 1

Switched from i230 to T150's.  different feel and sound and really good for me.  I had been a Ping person multiple times, these I just like better.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

I am going to sell my P770s and look to buy i230s. Ppl seem to be complaining about hitting them too high, but height and spin is what I want/need. Anymore feedback on turf interaction of the I230? Imagine they cannot be worse than the P770s, but would like to have an idea of how they will work in the soft mid-atlantic conditions of Maryland

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

1 hour ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I am going to sell my P770s and look to buy i230s. Ppl seem to be complaining about hitting them too high, but height and spin is what I want/need. Anymore feedback on turf interaction of the I230? Imagine they cannot be worse than the P770s, but would like to have an idea of how they will work in the soft mid-atlantic conditions of Maryland

I had the first gen 770s that they made them foam filled.  IMO those 770s got thru the turf better for me.  I’m shallow and the high bounce of the i230 coupled with the sole width was a bit too much for me.

• Like 1

Ping Hoofer Lite

19 minutes ago, Hougz79 said:

I had the first gen 770s that they made them foam filled.  IMO those 770s got thru the turf better for me.  I’m shallow and the high bounce of the i230 coupled with the sole width was a bit too much for me.

Thanks Hougz, if you are referring to the 2020 770s those are the ones I play as well. I am about 5 down with the 7i so not as shallow as you. My 770s are weird turf interaction wise in that they neither play with the bounce of a Ping nor get through the turf like a Titleist T100 etc. Kind of a no mans land design imo. If the i230 digs less than P770, that would be great for me.

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

51 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Thanks Hougz, if you are referring to the 2020 770s those are the ones I play as well. I am about 5 down with the 7i so not as shallow as you. My 770s are weird turf interaction wise in that they neither play with the bounce of a Ping nor get through the turf like a Titleist T100 etc. Kind of a no mans land design imo. If the i230 digs less than P770, that would be great for me.

Sounds like you might be in luck.  I’d definitely give them a try then.

Ping Hoofer Lite

4 hours ago, Hougz79 said:

I had similar issues with the sole width of the i230's as well. On mats at an indoor fitting, the numbers were the best of the different options. However, I had trouble with the turf interaction when it came to taking them on the course. I've found that I get through the turf and strike the ball much better with a narrow sole. This is going to be person and swing dependent. Great iron for the right individual though. I loved them indoors.