2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New Tip Weights for Small ID Graphite Shafts

As a club builder and graphite player myself, I've always felt there should be better tip weight options for small inner diameter graphite shafts. I came across something new, tungsten tip weights (not the rubber tungsten) with a small diameter, even smaller than the smallest diameter brass ones that I have found.

6 gram tungsten, 8 gram tungsten, 10 gram brass (for size reference)

IMG_0997.jpg.f17e21f90ec3ceb58a7255bcf07afce4.jpg

The brass is slightly over 0.150 and the tungsten is under that

IMG_0998(1).jpg.1525ba730a535ec4d3cd5d8c9b4aec8d.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting, although a couple things would make me nervous about that.

The length of that long boy there easily gets into a part of the shaft that will flex, and brass ain't flexing. I'd be concerned about shaft wear/breakage if it were to flex against that weight at all, especially since in order for that weight to fit snuggly and NOT buzz (@g_nw know's what i'm talking about here 😅) it would need to be tight. You'd need the diameter of the weight to be small enough to allow for shaft flex, but also have something soft AND firm enough to put around it to keep it in place. Seems like a lot of work when you can use the rubber tungsten weights which can be shaped to fit as necessary.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Wishon offered 9g tungsten weights for years, not sure if they still do.

Edited by Bad9

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

Interesting, although a couple things would make me nervous about that.

The length of that long boy there easily gets into a part of the shaft that will flex, and brass ain't flexing. I'd be concerned about shaft wear/breakage if it were to flex against that weight at all, especially since in order for that weight to fit snuggly and NOT buzz (@g_nw know's what i'm talking about here 😅) it would need to be tight. You'd need the diameter of the weight to be small enough to allow for shaft flex, but also have something soft AND firm enough to put around it to keep it in place. Seems like a lot of work when you can use the rubber tungsten weights which can be shaped to fit as necessary.

There is nothing to be worried about when it comes to the length.  Shaft breakage from epoxy or whatever extending beyond the top of the hosel is an "old wives tale."  I'm sure you can remember the Harrison Shotmaker shaft insert.  Same goes with any internal shaft dampening device.  Never an issue with breakage.

The buzz on the other hand, can be a problem.  I have seen the longer ones buzz and you need to make sure it is snug in the shaft. Usually with masking tape on the top end to make a tight fit.  Not my ideal way of setting something up.  Much better to use the rubber tungsten weights.  I buy the biggest ones and trim off the fat end first.  

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

21 minutes ago, Socrates said:

There is nothing to be worried about when it comes to the length.  Shaft breakage from epoxy or whatever extending beyond the top of the hosel is an "old wives tale."  I'm sure you can remember the Harrison Shotmaker shaft insert.  Same goes with any internal shaft dampening device.  Never an issue with breakage.

The buzz on the other hand, can be a problem.  I have seen the longer ones buzz and you need to make sure it is snug in the shaft. Usually with masking tape on the top end to make a tight fit.  Not my ideal way of setting something up.  Much better to use the rubber tungsten weights.  I buy the biggest ones and trim off the fat end first.  

The Harrison shotmaker was graphite though, yeah? And super light, i'd assume it could flex where brass wouldn't. That is just an intuitive feeling though, I never did believe the "epoxy above the hosel" one anyway because the little tube of epoxy that we've all removed or drilled out of a club is usually very light and often a little flexible. Never made sense that could break a shaft, but if it were something as inflexible as metal I might have.

Agreed with everything in the second part though, that's exactly how I do it.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

I’ve always done the masking tape approach and it generally works well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valtiel said:

The length of that long boy there easily gets into a part of the shaft that will flex, and brass ain't flexing.

The shaft immediately above the hosel really doesn't flex enough for that to be a problem.   It's still part of the reinforced tip section designed into the shaft to handle the high stresses there near the top of the hosel.  As long as you bevel the edges when cutting down to a smaller amount (don't leave any sharp edges or burrs), there wont be any problems.

The buzzing certainly is a potential issue.

And another thing is that it's easy for the tip weight to get glued into the shaft and become a PITA to remove if you want to reuse the shaft in a different head that needs a different amount of tip weight.   They can't be simply drilled out like lead or the tungsten rubber weights.

Despite that I still use the long brass tip weights  for graphite (if I need more than 4 gm) as they are the lesser of all the graphite tip weight evils compared with the heavier tungsten rubber weight that takes up a large portion of the hosel depth (IMO).

But I just don't bother with the smaller diameter versions (brass or tungsten).  I still have plenty of the larger diameter ones on hand and I don't have any problems or concerns drilling out the ID to fit the ~0.170" diameter weights from Billy Bob's.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

The shaft immediately above the hosel really doesn't flex enough for that to be a problem.   It's still part of the reinforced tip section designed into the shaft to handle the high stresses there near the top of the hosel.  As long as you bevel the edges when cutting down to a smaller amount (don't leave any sharp edges or burrs), there wont be any problems.

The buzzing certainly is a potential issue.

And another thing is that it's easy for the tip weight to get glued into the shaft and become a PITA to remove if you want to reuse the shaft in a different head that needs a different amount of tip weight.   They can't be simply drilled out like lead or the tungsten rubber weights.

Despite that I still use the long brass tip weights  for graphite (if I need more than 4 gm) as they are the lesser of all the graphite tip weight evils compared with the heavier tungsten rubber weight that takes up a large portion of the hosel depth (IMO).

But I just don't bother with the smaller diameter versions (brass or tungsten).  I still have plenty of the larger diameter ones on hand and I don't have any problems or concerns drilling out the ID to fit the ~0.170" diameter weights from Billy Bob's.

For the tip weight getting stuck in the shaft, i have been pretty successful avoiding that. I don't epoxy put epoxy on the tip weight stem (i don't think most people do anyway). But then I put a dab of epoxy on the head of the tip weight. When I pull the shaft at a later point in time, the head of the weight tends to get stuck to the bottom of the club head hosel and pull clean out of the shaft. Then its an easy job to pull the weight out of the head. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

(i don't think most people do anyway)

I agree - but it's still difficult keeping the epoxy from flowing through the channels used to let the air escape - at least it is for some models.  The ones I used have that channel on the side of the stem - instead of a hole through the middle.   How the weight is designed to allowed the air to escape could certainly make a big difference in how often they might get stuck.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 8:51 PM, dlow206 said:

As a club builder and graphite player myself, I've always felt there should be better tip weight options for small inner diameter graphite shafts. I came across something new, tungsten tip weights (not the rubber tungsten) with a small diameter, even smaller than the smallest diameter brass ones that I have found.

6 gram tungsten, 8 gram tungsten, 10 gram brass (for size reference)

IMG_0997.jpg.f17e21f90ec3ceb58a7255bcf07afce4.jpg

The brass is slightly over 0.150 and the tungsten is under that

IMG_0998(1).jpg.1525ba730a535ec4d3cd5d8c9b4aec8d.jpg

Where did you find these?

13 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Billy Bob's. they are relatively new. 

Those look awesome. I resorted to drilling out the ID but this seems like a good fix. 

edit: Billy Bob’s really is for the people. Always coming out with the stuff needed for us amateur builders to swingweight effectively. I have a crazy heavy back weight in my sim2, only way to get to d2.5. From none other than Billy bobs 

Edited by ChristopherMcDonald

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Fourteen DJ-5 54 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro