2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Why is it so hard to provide good pics of all wedge lofts/grind?

IHFN

Every time I start looking for new wedges I get frustrated.  It’s so difficult to find pics of the loft/bounce combinations.  Most OEM pages show a graphic of what the grind looks like from a Birds Eye view, but that doesn’t tell you much about it.  

The real key is seeing the grind at a side view that shows you the leading edge, depth and width of the grind. 

Most golf shops don’t carry every grind either because there is a cost to doing so.  95% of golfers just grab the basic grinds so that’s what they stock. 

I just don’t get why the OEMs don’t provide those basic pictures of every loft/grind option?

Even if it’s computer generated that would be ok.  

How can we “petition” the OEM’s to start doing this?

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

1 minute ago, IHFN said:

Every time I start looking for new wedges I get frustrated.  It’s so difficult to find pics of the loft/bounce combinations.  Most OEM pages show a graphic of what the grind looks like from a Birds Eye view, but that doesn’t tell you much about it.  

The real key is seeing the grind at a side view that shows you the leading edge, depth and width of the grind.

what are you looking for in terms of these specifications? I feel as if most of the descriptions/graphics do a decent job of explaining what the grinds do. There's only so much detail they can give you on a website - if you're looking for that amount of precision you're going to have to do a live demo anyway.

6 minutes ago, IHFN said:

Most golf shops don’t carry every grind either because there is a cost to doing so.  95% of golfers just grab the basic grinds so that’s what they stock.

eh - that has not been my experience. Most big box stores carry the full Vokey, Callaway, and Taylormade stock offerings. That's a lot of grinds to choose from, especially in the LW. There's only so much you can do with a sole - what are you specifically looking for?

10 minutes ago, IHFN said:

I just don’t get why the OEMs don’t provide those basic pictures of every loft/grind option?

Have you tried reaching out to the OEM in question for more info?

LTDx LS 10.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 14* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

TM Spider X Slant

45 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

what are you looking for in terms of these specifications? I feel as if most of the descriptions/graphics do a decent job of explaining what the grinds do. There's only so much detail they can give you on a website - if you're looking for that amount of precision you're going to have to do a live demo anyway.

eh - that has not been my experience. Most big box stores carry the full Vokey, Callaway, and Taylormade stock offerings. That's a lot of grinds to choose from, especially in the LW. There's only so much you can do with a sole - what are you specifically looking for?

Have you tried reaching out to the OEM in question for more info?

I want to know how the grind looks on the leading edge, and how it transitions to the back. 

For instance, where along the bounce is highest peak?  Is it the back edge of the bounce, or in the middle?  

All those details matter in how the wedge actually works. 

Another issue is some OEMs measure bounce from leading edge to highest upoint in the bounce, and others measure it as the width of the bounce. 

It’s why some wide bounces are listed as high bounce but play effectively as a low bounce. 

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I totally agree with your gripe. I can take away so much from their images describing the bounce profile. It just gives you a bare bones idea. I guess is to not to complicate things to the masses but as a wedge guy and knowing how critical the sole profile is, I do wish they would give more details and pictures in different orientation. VokeyAwedgeGrindPhotoWRX.jpgLike seeing the actual camber on the sole would be super helpful. Something like this but zoom in more. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing you're coming at it from the point of view that all of this information is readily available in their CAD tool, why not provide it?   And you'd be right.

I suspect that there are a variety of reasons ranging from not wanting to give away too much of their design details all the way to wanting to only provide what they thing the vast majority will use.

Without knowing your situation in terms of nearby big box golf stores, I've got a GG, PGASS, and WWGolf stores within reasonable distance of my home/office, and all of them seem to have at least one of every loft/grind/bounce combination, at least when it comes to the big 4 OEMs.   Maybe not in every finish, but otherwise I'm able to find them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IHFN said:

For instance, where along the bounce is highest peak?  Is it the back edge of the bounce, or in the middle?

I don't know of an OEM where the answer to your question wouldn't be the trailing edge or wherever the relief is for that particular grind.

1 hour ago, IHFN said:

Another issue is some OEMs measure bounce from leading edge to highest upoint in the bounce, and others measure it as the width of the bounce

I don't think this is true, to my knowledge almost all OEM's provide "effective" bounce ratings.

1 hour ago, IHFN said:

It’s why some wide bounces are listed as high bounce but play effectively as a low bounce. 

any examples? I have not experienced this

The general consensus is to demo wedges before you buy them, preferably on real grass if possible. I have a bigger beef with the wedge fitting process (so few are done on grass) then I have with the pictures and spec they post on the website. I just think you should let the strike quality and the demo determine your grind.

Again - are you looking for a particular geometry or sole?

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

TM Spider X Slant

3 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

I don't know of an OEM where the answer to your question wouldn't be the trailing edge or wherever the relief is for that particular grind.

I don't think this is true, to my knowledge almost all OEM's provide "effective" bounce ratings.

any examples? I have not experienced this

The general consensus is to demo wedges before you buy them, preferably on real grass if possible. I have a bigger beef with the wedge fitting process (so few are done on grass) then I have with the pictures and spec they post on the website. I just think you should let the strike quality and the demo determine your grind.

Again - are you looking for a particular geometry or sole?

FWIW, my son did a fitting at the titleist perf institute, and the guy working with us said the bounce numbers shouldn't be trusted, and are really just on there for marketing purposes.   The wedge fitting portion of that fitting was by far the most valuable part of it.   He had him doing blind tests for many different shots and from sand, rye and closely mown bermuda.   There was a pretty vast difference in the different grinds.

4 minutes ago, TroyB123 said:

FWIW, my son did a fitting at the titleist perf institute, and the guy working with us said the bounce numbers shouldn't be trusted, and are really just on there for marketing purposes.   The wedge fitting portion of that fitting was by far the most valuable part of it.   He had him doing blind tests for many different shots and from sand, rye and closely mown bermuda.   There was a pretty vast difference in the different grinds.

I've heard people claim you should fit based on the letter of the grind and not the bounce # - which I think a case could be made. I just don't think a 3-d rendering or a spec sheet will provide the data you need to make this decision. Your son got fit the correct way - in grass/sand.

Edited by rsballer10

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

TM Spider X Slant

The specs the OP wants are not available because the vast majority of wedge users don't look for, much less understand the subtle nuisances of grinds or bounce.  For that matter, most users don't know how a certain grind could benefit them.  They buy more based on popularity and what they heard on a discussion board. 

Due to sole design/grind and camber, it's also been my experience, bounce numbers are not exact because the person doing the measuring is human and likely not using the same instrumentation that OEMs use.  The same reason experienced golfers have new iron specs measured by their builder, to insure lofts and lies are what's expected.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

3 hours ago, IHFN said:

The way Titleist does it is fine.  Ping used to do the same thing but Taylormade never does anything with grinds.  A quick picture and description of what each grind accomplishes shouldn't be that difficult.

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

The specs the OP wants are not available because the vast majority of wedge users don't look for, much less understand the subtle nuisances of grinds or bounce.  For that matter, most users don't know how a certain grind could benefit them.  They buy more based on popularity and what they heard on a discussion board. 

Due to sole design/grind and camber, it's also been my experience, bounce numbers are not exact because the person doing the measuring is human and likely not using the same instrumentation that OEMs use.  The same reason experienced golfers have new iron specs measured by their builder, to insure lofts and lies are what's expected.

Bounce is for sure just a marketing number on a lot of grinds.  I play the Taylormade LBV and I could measure bounce on it to get several different numbers.  

Manufacturers can probably measure bounce down to .00008 on a good CMM but it'll vary based on playing position so the number 7 that mine has on it really doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

Photograping shiny metal is an an art and a science.

I highly recommend this book in any edition.

Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting 4th Edition

by Fil Hunter (Author), Steven Biver (Author), Paul Fuqua (Author)

Don't forget about Craig Cutler. That guy uses more light sources than anyone in the industry. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

On 7/3/2024 at 8:43 AM, Glock917 said:

I totally agree with your gripe. I can take away so much from their images describing the bounce profile. It just gives you a bare bones idea. I guess is to not to complicate things to the masses but as a wedge guy and knowing how critical the sole profile is, I do wish they would give more details and pictures in different orientation. VokeyAwedgeGrindPhotoWRX.jpgLike seeing the actual camber on the sole would be super helpful. Something like this but zoom in more. 

I couldn’t agree more, and a good photo angle.  Is that a K grind?