2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2008 Nike SUMO2 Tour

I must have one! Anybody tried or gotten one with an epic?

I have a Sumo2 Tour 9.5 degrees with an Epic stiff on order right now, should have it in my hands by the end of this week... can't wait!

I noticed that you play a NV75s in your Sumo, how is that set up? What's your ss, tempo? I've been tempted to try that in mine since they are so cheap right now. I wanted to try that and if I like it try in the Sumo2 Tour!

gregcindyh, I will say it is one mean combo! I launches med with low spin and then hits and runs! That is exactly what I wanted from this set up. When I get after it she is long, but with my ss I would say I lose some distance with an average swing, but it is straight, and I do mean straight! There are holes on my course I haven't hit a driver on in years for fear of OB, not the case with this combo.

Swingspeed is about 104, my tempo is smooth but a bit quick. My swing is a bit upright, so I launch the ball high with pretty high spin, but this combo has done a nice job of holding both of those numbers down. My launch is 14 to 15 degrees with about 2800 to 3000 rpm of spin.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just set up our new Nike fitting system yesterday, and we have 3 tour heads, 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5. They look really really good. No alignment marking on top, slightly deeper face, slightly less breadth from front to back, and slightly open face. Other than that, the 5900 and the tour look identical. I'll be taking one out tomorrow with either the ProLaunch Red or a diamana, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Oh, and if anyone has the fitting system near them, go right now, really. It's seriously the coolest piece of equipment I've ever laid my hands on. We don't have the launch monitor or laptop hooked up yet, but the system basically directs the fitter based on your stats to the right shaft and head combo best suited for you. Awesome. Plus, there's a dozen different high end shafts and all flexes (x flex only in a few, though)

Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
Yes! Ann 34"

according to the list I got last week,

Aldila NV 55, 65, 75, VS Proto 65

Fujikura Tour platform 26.3

Grafalloy Prolaunch blue 65, prolaunch red, epic

Graphite Design YS6+, Pershing 65

UST Proforce V2 65, 75

Mitsubishi Bassara 63, Diamana Red Board 63, Blue Board 63, 73

lousy shaft selection! No whiteboard, no blue board 83, among other great shafts.

One of the guys at the golf shop just got his Sumo Tour and he ordered it with the Diamana Blueboard 83 X so it is available to my understanding although the Nike rep that was there just told me June 15th delivery on the Blueboards. :wacko:

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

It's the Nike SQ Sumo2 Tour. There is no 5900 tour. The heads look very similar, and that's the only reason people are using the 5900 designation to describe them. It has a MOI of around 5000, but I don't think Nike has stated an official number.

Yes! Ann 34"

Sumo2 Tour with Epic just landed today!

Hit it a little on the range to compare to my 5000... Here's my first impressions (no launch monitor data yet):

- the Epic has a very "crisp" feel, a bit like steel or like some of the Fujis. I prefer the feel of the NV in my 5000, but I'm a Aldila guy.

- sounds exactly like the 5900, the 5000 sounds better in my opinion.

- the club doesn't really feel like it "pops", but it is long. Not sure if that's the head or shaft, I think it maybe a combo of both.

- a much lower more penetrating ball flight than my 5000, I think this is more the shaft than head.

- it seems that the distance is about the same between the Tour and the 5000.

In conclusion, I don't think I have the swingspeed to see much difference between the two clubs (100-104mph)... I must admit I'm a bit sad about that. I thought this setup would be perfect for me, but then again, the Epic doesn't launch nearly as high as I thought it would. I was looking for a high launch with a strong penetrating flight, got the flight, but with a lower launch. I hit the Tour head early last month with an NV, VS Proto and Blueboard, they all seem to launch higher than the Epic.

Anyhow, I will play it on the course tomorrow, then we can really see what it's all about..... but I have a funny feeling there maybe a Sumo2 Tour with an Epic stiff available for sale in the very near future. :wacko:

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Hit it a little on the range to compare to my 5000... Here's my first impressions (no launch monitor data yet):

- the Epic has a very "crisp" feel, a bit like steel or like some of the Fujis. I prefer the feel of the NV in my 5000, but I'm a Aldila guy.

- the club doesn't really feel like it "pops", but it is long. Not sure if that's the head or shaft, I think it maybe a combo of both.

- a much lower more penetrating ball flight than my 5000, I think this is more the shaft than head.

In conclusion, I don't think I have the swingspeed to see much difference between the two clubs (100-104mph)... I must admit I'm a bit sad about that. I thought this setup would be perfect for me, but then again, the Epic doesn't launch nearly as high as I thought it would. I was looking for a high with a strong penetrating flight, got the flight, but with a lower launch. I hit the Tour head early last month with an NV, VS Proto and Blueboard, they all seem to launch higher than the Epic.

Anyhow, I will play it on the course tomorrow, then we can really see what it's all about..... but I have a funny feeling there maybe a Sumo2 Tour with an Epic stiff available for sale in the very near future. :wacko:

AWESOME !!!!!!!!! ... I will tune back in for your future reviews !!!!

At the fitting system tutorial, our Nike rep explained that with the forward center of gravity in the tour your ball speed needs to be at 155+ mph to take advantage of the head. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'll be taking one out tomorrow morning so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Yes! Ann 34"

At the fitting system tutorial, our Nike rep explained that with the forward center of gravity in the tour your ball speed needs to be at 155+ mph to take advantage of the head. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'll be taking one out tomorrow morning so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The Tour Sounds Interesting but an expensive proposition. Then again, it will be rare -- so it does have that going for it.

(For mere mortals, try the Adams XTD Pro if you want to save some bucks and don't have the qualifying ballspeed.)

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Who fitted you with the EPIC ?

In conclusion, I don't think I have the swingspeed to see much difference between the two clubs (100-104mph)... I must admit I'm a bit sad about that. I thought this setup would be perfect for me, but then again, the Epic doesn't launch nearly as high as I thought it would. I was looking for a high launch with a strong penetrating flight, got the flight, but with a lower launch. I hit the Tour head early last month with an NV, VS Proto and Blueboard, they all seem to launch higher than the Epic.

Ok, so I took out the 10.5 tour head with the ProLaunch Red extra stiff today. I didn't play with it, just took it to the range after the round. I was hitting my BTY really well on the course, so I was set up to make a pretty good comparison.

First things first, this is easily one of the longest drivers I've ever hit. Literally effortless distance compared to the Adams. The ball gets up quick and just seems to hang in the air, very nice ball flight. The shafts out of the fitting cart have half inch marks near the top of the grip so you can get fit for length as well, and it felt most comfortable to me at the full 45.5 inches. I was swinging with some pretty decent right to left wind at times, but I had no trouble hitting a fade. Definitely not hard to work the ball either direction. I'm a pretty high spin player, so ballooning off the tee can be an issue for me if I have the wrong shaft or head, and I didn't experience any of this with the Tour.

My favorite part of the club, though, is how much feedback you get from the head. I was pretty consistent as far as hitting the center of the face, but even a little miss high or low, heel or toe, and you know it. The amazing part is that I didn't experience any more than 5 or 10 yards distance loss regardless of where I struck the ball. Even hitting low on the face wasn't nearly as punishing as I've seen with a lot of heads. My only misses came on my first couple of swings where I didn't get the head around and pushed it to the right, but even these would have stayed in play, they didn't fade any futher off line.

So, yeah, needless to say I'll be getting one of these asap. I'm still going to go through a fitting (we haven't set up our launch monitor yet), but I would be surprised if I can find a shaft combo better for me than this.

Oh, one more thing. It may have been because I was using the club from the 360 fitting system (screwed together), but the Tour head sounded a little higher pitched than the 5900 that I've hit. Does anyone know if epoxy will dampen the sound at all?

Yes! Ann 34"

I've had mine since the 10th and here's what I've found:

The 2* open face looks much better than the retail at address and the 2* flatter lie angle sits much better. I got mine with Blueboard 83-X and it plays great. You can work it if you really want to, but, otherwise its just point and shoot with most misses being pushes or pulls but still in play. The flight is great, jumps off the face and goes like a rocket. Even into the wind I don't have a problem with it ballooning and downwind you can still launch it high for maximum carry and then get the roll when it lands. The head says Tour instead of 5900 and the cover says tour as well.

I ordered mine on the 8th and put Nike's $75 dollar expedite service on it and got it in less than 48 hours from when I ordered it.

The best driver out there in my opinion.

CT

for everyone who has it or has hit it, how would you compare it to the sasquatch tour?

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Well, first off it definitely launches a little higher. They're pushing the more forward center of gravity with this head but don't be mistaken, it gets up real quick. You'll notice more forgiveness on off center hits (obviously). You won't have the traditional feel or sound that you get in the SQ tour, but this one is still solid, with really really good feedback.

As far as working the ball, the sq is more willing to go either way, but the newer tour can be moved around a little bit. Definitely wants to go straight though. My typical miss is a push to the right that usually fades off line a little bit more, but with this head, the fade part of that ball flight disappeared. It just kind of hung out there a little bit. It would have left me in a better position on the course than my gamer.

My suggestion is just find someone near you that has the fitting system. They'll have 3 different lofts, along with a few shafts: diamana, pershing, v2, nv, vs proto, pro launch red...off the top of my head.

I don't really know what else to say about it other than this head is great when paired with the right shaft, and everyone that can should go through a fitting with this and their current driver to see what they're missing.

Yes! Ann 34"