2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What shaft for the G10 will stop me hooking??

Davie C

I bought a Ping G10 driver at the weekend with a stock TFC 129D stiff shaft and 10.5 deg of loft.

I tried out the V2 High Launch stiff in 10.5 deg before I bought the club but hit the ball miles in the air and mostly to the right. I decided my mechanics were off that day regarding the ball going right but the ball was going so high in the air I just couldn't go with the shaft. The shop at the driving range was just closing so I went with the TFC in stiff as it would bring the flight down and 10.5 deg in loft.

I took the club on the course today for the first time and found I was mostly hooking it quite badly when hitting at my normal speed. In fact even when I was swinging more easily the shots were veering to the left.

The trajectory was mid which is kind of what I want but wondered if I reshaft what would help me stop hooking it?? Ideally even if I were to hit a low fade I'd be much happier as it's usually less damaging than a wild hook! I did absolutely rip one today and drove to the edge of the 280 yard par 4 (uphill) but that was swinging well within myself.

My swing speed is about 100-110mph and I play to 7.7 hcap.

What shaft would you recommend that will def stop the hook and maybe bring the flight down a fraction? Would the aldilla nv65 (green) do the trick maybe?

Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend getting on a launch monitor to get more data regarding your launch angle, spin rates, and swing path. It could very well be your swing or a different shaft may help.

If you decide to go the "ho" route like a lot of us Golfwrx members, you may want to try the Grafalloy ProLaunch Red. It's going to play a little stiffer than the TFC and it should also help keep the ball flight down.

Good luck with your decision.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

Use a weaker grip...completely free.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

This post is just begging for the uber-nauseating "get some lessons" response. I will resist though. I fight this if I swing around my gut rather than downline. The NV is a great shaft for this, but as most Aldila's it is easily overpowered by gorillas. I would suggest a stiffer tipped shaft. The grip comment is good. Strong, tense gripping definitely lead to snaps. Some guys even go to oversize grips for this. Not my cup of tea but some swear by it.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I've always been a fan of the stock shaft in this head, I've posted on this forum numerous times to that effect. But what seems to me to be the case is that many people of average stature and swing speed love the G10 most when they play it at 45" or under. So I would suggest taking it down to 45" or less, and have Ping do it, because they can maintain your swingweight, as it will be decreased by 5 or 6 points through the shortening of the shaft.

The reason I say you should shorten the shaft is that when it is so long, your swing plane probably has a tendency to flatten out around your body more. To get it more upright, use a shorter shaft. You may just be able to correct it on your own with the length it plays at now, but it would be easier with a 45" shaft as opposed to a 45.75" shaft. Hopefully someone here can back me up on this? Maybe someone more learned in the sciences can explain why the longer length equates to a flatter plane/

In any case, I would definitely give the stock shaft another chance, it really is a superb shaft.

PING G410 Max 10.5º w/ Ping Tour 65 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

I would say check your grip and swing to make sure that it is fine. Beyond that I would recommend the Diamana Blueboard 73 or 83, these are very anti-left shafts. However I would have them tippped 1/2" to 1" if you get the g35t or g4t version and no tipping if you get the x5ct version. I believe that the Ping is a .350 tip diameter, so I would recommend using the g35t and tipping it 1/2" to play true to flex and give you a stiffer tip. If the problem is the shaft then this should help in preventing in closing or shutting the face before impact. Just my two cents.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

Thanks to those that have replied so far.

I do have a strongish (ie 3-3.5 nuckles grip) but after playing golf for 20 years I absolutely refuse to weaken my grip! I mean it works for Fred Couples, John Daly etc!

If I am hitting the ball straighter with my older driver - and me using the same grip - to me it suggests a stiffer shaft would fight the hook? I am no expert though so I am sure somebody can correct me here if I am wrong!

I am interested in the comment regarding the length of the shaft as I have read a lot of posts saying that the shaft is longer than the norm so maybe that could answer me problem...?

Would the pro launch red help the clubhead square a fraction later as well as lowering the flight slightly?

Sadly I doubt the place I bought it would let me change to a new shaft for free now though seeing as I have used it...how much would it cost to get this done do you think?

That stock shaft is pretty good, I don't think a shaft change is what you are looking for.

I have the TM Burner driver and it is a similar length and weight. I had some pretty severe hooking problems off and on in the first several months after I got it. It took me a while to figure out why this was happening. But I did figure it out, and in recent months, it has become the strongest part of my game.

I have a slightly strong grip and I haven't changed it.

What I have changed is that I have much better connection and timing between my arms and body. You may be hooking because the club is long and lighter and it is easy to let your arms get ahead of your body, which means you will hit the ball left. With my Burner, which is not much different than the G10, I really work to get my body (hips) open to the target as I come down into impact.

I really recommend working on your timing and move down into impact, versus changing out shafts.

AG

I have the 10.5 degree G10 with stock shaft...nothing but straight balls all day long. I am tall with a wrist to floor of 37.5" [my irons are 3-up because of this] so the stock shaft length of 45.75 is great for me. Try choking down the next time you get to the range to see if shortening the shaft a bit will help you out. Great driver, great stock shaft...might just be a bit long for you.

Good luck.

I am only 5ft 8 - 5ft 9 and I am now starting to think that the long shaft is the problem so I may just take it back and ask to get it trimmed down to 44 1/2 - 45 from the 45 3/4 it is just now.

I'll choke down tomorrow a little and see if that makes a difference but I guess they would trim from the tip rather than the butt if I wanted the flight brought down a little also...?

I have a 37.5" wrist to floor also...however I play a 44" driver. I normally hit a nice draw, but when I played w/ my adams driver at 45.5", I had trouble controlling that big ugly thing...hooking like crazy.

My SS is 92, and I play a reg. flex shaft. I didn't lose any distance to speak of, and my accuracy definetly improved. I would highly recommend a shorter shaft.

Considering most pros play a 44"-44.5"....how in the hell are we going to handle a longer shaft.

I think it must be an EGO issue w/ most people.

I am only 5ft 8 - 5ft 9 and I am now starting to think that the long shaft is the problem so I may just take it back and ask to get it trimmed down to 44 1/2 - 45 from the 45 3/4 it is just now.

I'll choke down tomorrow a little and see if that makes a difference but I guess they would trim from the tip rather than the butt if I wanted the flight brought down a little also...?

Make sure and have them check the swing weight as well....light and long is a recipe for the snaps (for me). Every OTR G10 I weighed came in at C9 or D0. I'm thinking 44.5" and about three or four swing weight points will help you immensely.

I think the posts talking about length are on the right track. However the ping g10 head is also an upright lie. Add an upright lie, along with a longer shaft (makes it even more upright) and you have it going left.

I noticed that when going thru a free ping demo day. Once I went down an inch to 45.75 my hooks became gentle draws. A round with it showed it to be straight or just a bit left.

i am 5'2" on a good day. my G10 is spec'd out to 44.5". i play a 10.5* V2HL regular. driver ss is 95....kind of on the cusp of stiff and reg....but i can move the ball much easier in a reg. i have a strong grip and my natural flight is a baby fade. but i can play a draw just as easy by flattening out my take-away.

get to know your swing.....choke down on that grip until you find the right flight pattern that you are comfortable with...then get it cut.

G10 is a bomb....sooo happy!!!

I'm 5-9 and medium build and I hit the TM Burner at 46 inches down the fairway all day long. This is a standard D5 sw though. I still think it is your method and not the shaft or the length. The length might cause you to scatter a bit but will not cause a hook by itself. It is not the arrow it is the indian!

5'7" here with relatively long arms (32" wrist to floor measurement). The G10 does sit upright with a 58 degree lie angle, and the fact that its 45.75" makes that upright lie angle seem even more upright (all of which is a recipe for the lefts). Have it cut down or choke down on it a bit and that should help.

By the way, my swing speed is 95 mph and I'm on the cusp as well. I have a medium tempo and a somewhat hard transition so I went with the stiff. With the regular, it seemed like I was all over the place.

I'm rather astounded at all the golf tips you are getting. You have been playing 20 years and are a single digit handicap, and you haven't been hooking your previous drivers. Why in the world would you start changing your swing because you are hooking a particular club?!? If it was all of your clubs, that would be a problem with your grip/swing/etc., but not when it is just one club.

Also astounding are the "it's a great shaft so don't change it" comments. There aren't any shafts that work for everyone. If the shaft doesn't work for you, change it. Don't change your swing to fit the shaft.

Now the comments about shortening the shaft may have some merit. What you really may want to try is to tip the shaft, making it tip firmer; 3/4 inch to 1 inch would probably be a good length to try. The combo of a shorter shaft length and a stiffer tip may indeed help with the hooking problem you are having.

As for other shafts that might work, anything tip stiffer is likely to help - yes, the Aldila NV might work. So might the Prolaunch Red. I'm partial to the GD Pershing, especially in the 75 gram weight, and this is a fairly tip stiff shaft. All of those are reasonably inexpensive, but still will run you $100 or so installed. More expensive options might be Diamana; I think the Whiteboard would be a bit tip stiffer than the Blueboard, but I'm not sure.

I would tip the stock shaft first, then look at the other shafts if that doesn't work. Don't mess with your mechanics unless your general game suggests the need.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

You might very well have technique issues. However, the G10 is VERY draw biased. It's also fairly upright which places that weight low and left...not good for a hook. It's the same reason most of their tour staff is back with the Rapture, or never left. It's a good club for some people that need a little help, but if you're really a 6 cap, and have no major swing issues, I would suggest a square face, with less heel bias.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

You might very well have technique issues. However, the G10 is VERY draw biased. It's also fairly upright which places that weight low and left...not good for a hook. It's the same reason most of their tour staff is back with the Rapture, or never left. It's a good club for some people that need a little help, but if you're really a 6 cap, and have no major swing issues, I would suggest a square face, with less heel bias.

Where are you getting that the G10 is "VERY draw biased"? Maybe the draw version, but certainly not the regular...it's a very neutral head in terms of both face angle and weighting.. It is no more draw biased than the Rapture is.

Your statement about what the Ping staffers are bagging is misleading as well....not that it matters.

I bought a Ping G10 driver at the weekend with a stock TFC 129D stiff shaft and 10.5 deg of loft.

I tried out the V2 High Launch stiff in 10.5 deg before I bought the club but hit the ball miles in the air and mostly to the right. I decided my mechanics were off that day regarding the ball going right but the ball was going so high in the air I just couldn't go with the shaft. The shop at the driving range was just closing so I went with the TFC in stiff as it would bring the flight down and 10.5 deg in loft.

I took the club on the course today for the first time and found I was mostly hooking it quite badly when hitting at my normal speed. In fact even when I was swinging more easily the shots were veering to the left.

The trajectory was mid which is kind of what I want but wondered if I reshaft what would help me stop hooking it?? Ideally even if I were to hit a low fade I'd be much happier as it's usually less damaging than a wild hook! I did absolutely rip one today and drove to the edge of the 280 yard par 4 (uphill) but that was swinging well within myself.

My swing speed is about 100-110mph and I play to 7.7 hcap.

What shaft would you recommend that will def stop the hook and maybe bring the flight down a fraction? Would the aldilla nv65 (green) do the trick maybe?

Thanks.

Let your body begin the downswing with the arms lagging behind. Also make sure you finish your backswing before you begin the downswing.

It may also be the wrong shaft. That swing speed should regularly produce 280 yard drives, not just once in a while.

I'm rather astounded at all the golf tips you are getting. You have been playing 20 years and are a single digit handicap, and you haven't been hooking your previous drivers. Why in the world would you start changing your swing because you are hooking a particular club?!? If it was all of your clubs, that would be a problem with your grip/swing/etc., but not when it is just one club.

Also astounding are the "it's a great shaft so don't change it" comments. There aren't any shafts that work for everyone. If the shaft doesn't work for you, change it. Don't change your swing to fit the shaft.

Now the comments about shortening the shaft may have some merit. What you really may want to try is to tip the shaft, making it tip firmer; 3/4 inch to 1 inch would probably be a good length to try. The combo of a shorter shaft length and a stiffer tip may indeed help with the hooking problem you are having.

As for other shafts that might work, anything tip stiffer is likely to help - yes, the Aldila NV might work. So might the Prolaunch Red. I'm partial to the GD Pershing, especially in the 75 gram weight, and this is a fairly tip stiff shaft. All of those are reasonably inexpensive, but still will run you $100 or so installed. More expensive options might be Diamana; I think the Whiteboard would be a bit tip stiffer than the Blueboard, but I'm not sure.

I would tip the stock shaft first, then look at the other shafts if that doesn't work. Don't mess with your mechanics unless your general game suggests the need.

I agree that no one club and shaft combo is best for everybody BUT we are talking about a pretty mainstream driver with standard shaft. If someone is a little low, high, left, right, or short, then yes, perhaps some fine tuning is in order. But if someone is HOOKING a standard driver with standard shaft, then how can it be the driver or the shaft? I think it might be relevant to know the original poster's previous driver. If a person is going to a driver design that is significantly different than what they had before, then some setup or swing adjustments might be in order. I say MIGHT be.