2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

A Note to You Juniors Out There...

JGalls

Received this pm today regarding my r7 425 tp for sale in BST...brand new might I add.

"i feel stupid asking this and you will most likely say no but, can i have the 425 for free. i am a 13 year old junior golf with a ton of talent. i just cant buy good clubs because of lack of money. let me know."

Just want to let you young golfers know out here that this isn't the way to earn respect or get ahead in life. We've all been in your shoes, wanting the best equipment, etc. My advice is this... Work for want you want and earn the items in life that you desire. Get a job at a golf course and show people that you're a hard worker. People will realize it and help you out from time to time with equipment and other items as long as you aren't ASKING for it. Just show that you're a good kid, a hard worker, and good things will come your way. We've all been there....

Jim

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I think that is a pretty rude with to do. I've always wanted the best stuff I could have, so over the past 3 years I've had 4 different jobs trying to make as much money as I could so I could buy what I wanted. There are people out there that are willing to help you out, you just need to earn their respect. I've earned the respect of a few guys, and they've sent me clubs without even telling me, just so I could try them out.

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

When I was 13 I had a set of hand-me-down Wilson's that I played with until I started working the next year. The following year I started working at a golf course where my pro sold me a set of the previous years demo's for basically a wink and a nod. From that day, I spent 5 years working for him, and he is still my swing coach and the pro at my home course - we have a great relationship and that was all forged through hard work when I was a Junior player.

Also, my first driver when I was 13 was a Tommy Armour Piece o Crap... Working for what you want makes everything that much sweeter. I remember the day my Great Big Bertha came in after we ordered it... it was ultra expensive for a 15 year old kid, but I had a sense of ownership and that was the payoff for my hard work!

Unfortunately, some of us think that life is all about taking off of a silver platter... which is fine, just remember you need to use a little elbow grease and polish your own platter!

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Jim,

This was a very good post. I couldnt agree with you more. Hard work goes a long way. I caddie all summer long and save my money just so i can have the best equipment. I do get help from my parents on the money end of it so the burden isnt completely on me. Juniors, lets show a little self respect. even if you get a job washing carts at a club thats good enough, generally the pro at the club will get you a discount on equipment. I know that my pro never charges me retail only what he gets it for. Instead of asking a total stranger for something free use your connections. everyone knows at least one person who might be able to help them out. You can work things out, say maybe ill work for you for X amount of time in order to work off what i would owe you or something along those lines. I can understand that alot of kids parents arent in a financial position to help them out. But you need to take matters into your own hands. I am lucky that my parents can help me whenever i need it and that they lay out most of the money for my equipment but i always put in towards my equipment because i do know how expensive it is. your never too young to be a caddie. you should go talk to the head pro or caddie master at a club near you and see if they need caddie's. I know my club even has caddie schools so that they can teach young caddies what to do and then they will be sent out on a couple of loops to follo senior or A caddies around the course. Its the easiest way of making money that i can think of. WORK HARD...STUDY HARD...and you'll go far. that what my parents have instilled in me and i would just like to pass that on.

Dan"goose" (cool)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

talk about lowballing (cool) very poor taste on that kids behalf. would have thought someone would have taught them better ways to go about life than looking for handouts.

i know exactly what okie is talking about. worked my Word not allowed off at my golf store and when my first major purchase (R7) came is it felt so good to have seen my work pay off in the form of a kick Word not allowed driver.

I agree what he did was in poor taste but remember he is only 13. I would have e-mailed him back and explained it to him and hopefully he would learn a valuable lesson. I would not have brought his e-mail up in this forum. No point in embarrassing him anymore than he probably already is.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

Not many things in this world are free. When I first started golfing, I had a set of men's Northwestern's. From there I moved to the clubs that I'm still using today. My parents were kind enough to split the price 50/50 with me. And I haven't upgraded much since then. When you buy something you really want with your own money it is a great feeling to know that you worked for it and deserve it.

People never cease to amaze me.......

That is a very bold action, i guess you never know if you don't ask and what if he would have said yes, you can have it.

I would be so ashamed of myself, but some people have no shame. Unbelievable.

Work hard for what you have, you will form a greater appreciation for what you do get.

Very bold especially for a "junior"

I've been given clubs, traded clubs, got deals on clubs but have NEVER asked for a club from someone.

I see guys like Joe Kwok and MapleLeaf and see their club collections in amazement, but then I realize that they worked for what they have, and they chose to have this collection of clubs.

Hell, I just bought new clubs for the first time and i treat them like my babies!!

That is just plain ol' rude!!

My gripe........

We have a Nationwide event at the most expensive club in the area here in Fort Smith. I've seen on numerous times kids going up to the Pros after the event and asking them for handouts. Anything from balls to clubs. These same kids are the offspring of the members, not your first tee types that have no money, these kids come from well to do families who have the money to go out and buy their kids nice stuff. Yet there they are trying mooch off of the Pros.

I can see it if the kids didn't have anything or come from single parent households where their parent is working two jobs or whatever. It just sickens me that these silver spoon kids are doing this.

I can't belive someone would ask for that free. I mow yards and do other work around my house to buy clubs. Now there not the greastest but they work for me. I could see if he tried to work on the price with you or something but that just isn' t right to ask like that. My parents can't afford to go buy me new equipment like that and you don't see me doing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Cmon He's Only 13? I'm Just Turned 13 And I Work My Word not allowed Off every morning and evening every week for 10 euro. im currently saving up for a ping g5. I've a bit too go but I know when ive worked for them i wont throw them after a bad shot etc. AND IT WAS A TOUR PREFFERED VERSION FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!

also i appologise if i am offending the junior as i do not know his situation!

I've coached at junior cycling camps for years, and there sure is a wide spread of kids. There's the ones who expect everything to be given to them, all the way to the ones who truly appreciate any little thing you do for them.

The most frustrating for me was when I gave a bike frame (with fork, seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebars) to one of the juniors I had coached, for FREE. He turned around and immediately sold it, never even talked about giving it back so I could give it to someone else. I haven't helped that one out since (did I mention he's not hurting for money? the last 2 years he's gone and taken cycling trips to Europe during summer). :cheesy:

Ive always worked for everything. And I had someone help me out with my new Nike Blades. I didnt have the full amount at the time and he agreed to let pay 1 sum then and the rest the next week. I have always worked for everything and never asked for someone to give me something. Plus instead of payng the actual price, i've used ebay and found amazing deals. My R7 came to 179 with shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

I am only 13 (14 on March 2) and I think I am very lucky to have some nice clubs. The only reason I do is b/c of eBay. I buy everything off there. My dad got me a brand new 905T 9.5 NV for $200 on eBay for christmas this year. When I got my BH-5's like 2 months after they came out, I only paid $265 brand new and they were going for $499 at TGW. I plan on getting some new irons this b-day to. Everytime I get new clubs I sell the old ones. When I got my 905T I sold my 2004 Big Bertha Ti on eBay. I don't need 2 drivers and like 4 putters. Just need one set. I sold some stuff to like my GBA SP b/c I never used it and it got me some new stuff. Just things I don't need that I could make some money off of. I also like top-of-the-line stuff. When I get a job I probably will keep some old stuff for backups but right now there's no need.

Just a quick one guys, but does anyone know that this actually did come from a 13 year old kid? If it did, then geez, he's got some balls, and I would agree 100% with you. But it just sounds a bit suspicious to me - are we sure it's not just some guy saying that in the hope of hitting the jackpot?

It sure wouldn't be the first time someone has lied over the internet to try and get what they want.

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

Just a quick one guys, but does anyone know that this actually did come from a 13 year old kid? If it did, then geez, he's got some balls, and I would agree 100% with you. But it just sounds a bit suspicious to me - are we sure it's not just some guy saying that in the hope of hitting the jackpot?

It sure wouldn't be the first time someone has lied over the internet to try and get what they want.

That actually wouldn't surprise me either.

But on the other hand, if this is a 13 year old, I agree that that is pretty disrespectful. I'm 17 and feel that the kids who have everything handed to them are the worst off when they enter the world. This kid, like myself, should get a job. I'll be fully honest with you, the main reason I got a job was so that I could have the money to buy the golf things I wanted. Then, I also feel like I earned the clubs sitting in my bag.

Just my opinion on this, but I am having a big problem with how everyone is ripping this kid on this. This could have been handled in a much better way privately. how would you feel about getting blasted on here. If this kid reads this forum it could totally turn him off of golf and this site. Not a very professional way of handling the situation. This is worse than the kid asking for the club in my opinion. He is 13 we are a lot older than that and should know not to rip on this kid.

Just had to get this off of my chest.

Kevin (cpga pro)