2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Calling all Bullseye Fanatics

ijustgolf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

After missing too many 4-footers with my Ping B60, I decided to go back to my ca. 1982 Bullseye wide-flange offset 36-inch shaft. On my first hole, I sank an 8-footer with it. The next day in a tournament, I got up-and-down for par 8 times thanks to some pretty good chipping and sand play and the Bullseye sinking 1-5 footers. I missed my only three birdie putts, but shot 80, hitting just three greens in regulation, and won my flight.

I'm also reading "Dave Pelz's Putting Bible," so I'm sure that helps, but the Bullseye really putts true and has great feel for distance.

I polished it up a little and posted some pics below. I got this putter new when I was about 13 and played with it for 10 years before switching to an Anser, then got the B60 about 4 years ago. I've never been a great putter, but did my best work with the Bullseye.

It seems like the hosel has gotten bent over the years and the putter sits a little flat. How does it look to you guys? The club repair guy at the local Pro Golf store said bending it more upright would risk snapping it, so I'm leaving it like it is for now.

wvbjsz.jpg

25hg2h5.jpg

34h742b.jpg

6e3xh0.jpg

9023nm.jpg

I have the EXACT same putter (stolen from my grandfather's basement)! Unfortunately, the tape underneath the grip has come loose. Whereas Winn grips wear out after one season and eventually turn to oozy wax in your hand on a really hot day, this rubber grip is still amazingly tacky. So, for that reason and for nostalgia's sake, I don't want to change grips. Do you have any idea how to remove, retape, and put this grip back on? I imagine injecting some solution would help get it off, but a complication would likely arise when it comes to putting the grip back on because there's no air hole in the butt end. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

Just got this guy in the mail yesterday. Not bad for a free trial putter. From what I can gather, it is the wide flange model. Will be smoothing it out over the course of the week and hoping to put it in play this weekend.

bullseye1_zps77cec73e.jpgbullseye2_zpsbe9c9f12.jpgbullseye3_zps07c36569.jpg

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

I still game an original Acushnet Bullseye from time to time.

It was my mom's - my dad bought her a set of clubs in the late 70's. She played once and basically hated it and never golfed again. Her clubs were put in a corner of the basement and they never got rid of them. I found the Bullseye in the set and acquired it, so to speak. :) It had hardly patina'd at all. I did need to change the grip - it was a Pingman-like grip that said Bullseye down the front. Had to cut it off...the rubber was actually flaking off.

Still a good club though. Not sure why more guys don't play them.

I got a SC Bullseye Flange 2002 recently. Yesterday, I took it to the practice green for the second time and I had such a nice experience with it. As somebody said in other thread, it must be the lack of forgiveness and alignment aids that makes you to improve yourself to get good putts and I really had very good ones.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2540341]

I have started the refinish on my wide flange. Has anyone else seen how not flat the faces of these can be? Mine started at 340 grams and I am thinking once I am done smoothing out the face, I may be in the 320 range.

Bag - Honma Mini Staff

@ Callawaykid, I really don't think your going to pull off 20 grams unless the gouges are 1/3 of the way into the thickness of the face. The way i have been cleaning up the faces of bullseye putters is to take a diamond file and WD-40 get them cleaned up/ flat withe them.
The WS Augusta i got new is horrible from the factory, haven't filed it yet.
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1421349941' post='10752315']
@ Callawaykid, I really don't think your going to pull off 20 grams unless the gouges are 1/3 of the way into the thickness of the face. The way i have been cleaning up the faces of bullseye putters is to take a diamond file and WD-40 get them cleaned up/ flat withe them.
The WS Augusta i got new is horrible from the factory, haven't filed it yet.
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:
[/quote]

Thank you very much. I am going to the hardware store this weekend to get a better file. The one I am using is pretty worn out from refinishing wedges.

Bag - Honma Mini Staff

• 3 months later...

Dave Billings of Machine made a few years back. I think he it toying with a new milled version. Notah Begay used one of his HOG bullseye putters for some time. They are a bit different, weighing 350g or so, more like a modern anser type putter.

One of my playing partners won't use anything else and he is pretty darn good with it too!

[attachment=2752472:2015-04-25 21.34.06.jpg]

The YES! Olivia MB is a great looking bullseye style. Would game one in a heartbeat.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dorfblee' timestamp='1229628756' post='1379769']
Sorry, to threadjack, but where is the sweetspot on a Bullseye style putter? Is it in line with the shaft along the face or toe side of where the shaft would extend throught the face?
[/quote]

you lightly tap the face of the putter with your fingernail. there will be little vibration sounds at toe and heel. keep on tapping until you get near the middle with a solid muted sound. that is where the sweetspot is.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rlee323' timestamp='1431442381' post='11544828']
are there any custom shops that will make a bullseye in a heavier weight and possible other custom features?
[/quote]

Kari Lajosi makes custom L-Blades (his version of Bullseye) and a L-Flange is on the works. I posted some images in the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1170705-kari-lajosi-library-of-photos/#entry11484861"]photo gallery here[/url]

my favorite Bullseye putter I have ever seen and would kill to have one of these from the Oven

Wow!

post-118170-0-53177000-1380655014.jpg

WOOOOOOW.

I played around with one of these (stock version, obviously) and really liked it, great feel and put a good roll on the ball

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='rlee323' timestamp='1431442381' post='11544828']
are there any custom shops that will make a bullseye in a heavier weight and possible other custom features?
[/quote]

Scotty Cameron made heavy flange versions of his Bullseyes that came at 33/350. I have a Platinum Heavy Flange I bought and extended - that's one way you could go.

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

• 1 year later...

John Reuter Jr. originally made the Bullseye, then Achusnet, then SC Titleist. Lots of individual models were produced over the years.

I have about a dozen different Bullseyes including several early 5A Originals and a few LaFemmes that are all solid brass and feel GREAT! I have one SC Original Flange that is also pretty good.

I had a newer Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Milled face forged steel that I found to be too large and less feel.

I also have two Mizuno 0604 models which are virtually identical to the Bullseye in shape, not sure about the actual meatls composition used, They are both black in color, one is plain with a single white sight line, the other has The Famous Grouse, Finest Scotch Whiskey lettering on the back of the face and the head is slightly thinner than the plain one. The paint has rub off the bottom a little and it appears to have a copper or dark bronze hue to the base metal.

Wilson also made and sold a version named Augusta that was solid brass and looked just like the original Bullseye. I have seen a few other really similar putters made by various brands.

After missing too many 4-footers with my Ping B60, I decided to go back to my ca. 1982 Bullseye wide-flange offset 36-inch shaft. On my first hole, I sank an 8-footer with it. The next day in a tournament, I got up-and-down for par 8 times thanks to some pretty good chipping and sand play and the Bullseye sinking 1-5 footers. I missed my only three birdie putts, but shot 80, hitting just three greens in regulation, and won my flight.

I'm also reading "Dave Pelz's Putting Bible," so I'm sure that helps, but the Bullseye really putts true and has great feel for distance.

I polished it up a little and posted some pics below. I got this putter new when I was about 13 and played with it for 10 years before switching to an Anser, then got the B60 about 4 years ago. I've never been a great putter, but did my best work with the Bullseye.

It seems like the hosel has gotten bent over the years and the putter sits a little flat. How does it look to you guys? The club repair guy at the local Pro Golf store said bending it more upright would risk snapping it, so I'm leaving it like it is for now.

wvbjsz.jpg

25hg2h5.jpg

34h742b.jpg

6e3xh0.jpg

9023nm.jpg

I have the EXACT same putter (stolen from my grandfather's basement)! Unfortunately, the tape underneath the grip has come loose. Whereas Winn grips wear out after one season and eventually turn to oozy wax in your hand on a really hot day, this rubber grip is still amazingly tacky. So, for that reason and for nostalgia's sake, I don't want to change grips. Do you have any idea how to remove, retape, and put this grip back on? I imagine injecting some solution would help get it off, but a complication would likely arise when it comes to putting the grip back on because there's no air hole in the butt end. Any ideas?

I have had over a dozen Bullseyes, mostly early ones from EBAY. I also have found quite a few NOS New Old Stock grips like came on a lot of the Bullseyes. I have a baggie of them that I picked up and are using to preserve the original look and feel. Most are Golf Pride rubber that lasted 40 to 50 years or better, some are Kelmac, some Lamkin. I just recently regripped 3 and have plans to pick up a couple of more early Bullseye from the local GoodWill store.

I still have five or six Bullseyes that still have playable original grips on them, some over 50 years old.