What has GPS "really" done for your game?

LOVE my SkyCaddie SG5. I never would have justified the cost to buy one, but my wife bought if for me as a wedding gift and I'm so glad she did!

On the rare occasion when I forget it, I really miss it. Especially if the course's yardage markings are sparse.

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't yet own one and have never used one... but as a relative newcomer to the game, one of my biggest frustrations is not knowing the course.

We have several courses that are hilly with doglegs... and even though I have the little drawing on the scorecard and the hole marker at the tee, it usually does no justice to the hole. As a result, my target on a lot of shots is ambiguous.

My second and third time around on a course my scores improve drastically. I'm hoping a GPS will alleviate at least some of that by giving me a better picture of the course, overall.

Not all GPS systems give you a hole layout so be careful what you buy if this is your main criterion for purchasing one. Certainly the SG5 (which I use) doesn't have it. Sonocaddie V300 which my wife has does have a depiction of each hole (on some courses only) but it's more an 'artist's impression' using Google Earth, or even the couse layout shown on the scorecard for reference rather than a 'full colour movie' fly-over.

Other systems do have fly-overs, but I'm no expert on those; hopefully there are other BMs who can advise.

Like all things, do plenty of research before handing over the plastic!

Hope this help.

TG - in the UK

Interesting that you have the SG5 and your wife the V300. I own the V300 and I feel it only really lacks the SmartGreen/Intelligreen feature to be the almost perfect Golf GPS system. How do you feel about the V300 compared to your SG5, I guess you have tested both, since your wife owns the V300 ;)

Looks like the new Garmin Approach G5 do out for sale later this year will be a killer. Will give the hole layout and a green view that will enable you to approximate the pin location. I don't knwo if it will have any self-mapping capabilities - I doubt it.

Interesting that you have the SG5 and your wife the V300. I own the V300 and I feel it only really lacks the SmartGreen/Intelligreen feature to be the almost perfect Golf GPS system. How do you feel about the V300 compared to your SG5, I guess you have tested both, since your wife owns the V300 ;)

Hi ClubHoUno

Wifey has one cos I bought it her for Christmas :rolleyes: . Since then the UK has been frozen solid and I've had no opportunity of playing golf for the past 2 weeks and therefore not had the chance to run the 2 GPS systems side-by-side.

Have had plenty of time to sit indoors and play around with the Sonocaddie, so I'll be reasonably familiar with it when I do eventually get out on the course.

I've been impressed with the service offered by Sonostar (parent organisation) in mapping out our home course. I had to provide them with details of the scorecard and then marked out each hole on Google Earth, saved it as a jpeg file and then emailed to them. Few days later received email to say they had done the gps referencing and they were working on the colour course layout.

2 days ago further email to say that everything was complete. Have since downloaded it to the Sonocaddie unit.

Have looked at our course detail on the Sonocaddie and it seems far less detailed than the information on the SG5; it has only one or two hazards on each hole showing plus green F&B, but with the capacity to map our own hazards etc in once we're out on the course, I guess we can get it with as much detail as the SG5.

Where it might not measure up to the SG5 is when playing other courses where Sonostar has only put in minimal information - as with our course. If these are courses you are playing as a 'once-off', then there would be no purpose in mapping in extras as they would be of no value on the day, and of no long-term use if you're unlikely to play there again.

But it's great to have 2 different systems as Sonocaddie has some courses mapped that SkyCaddie hasn't...and vice versa. And as we play golf all over the world it means that we should have coverage on at least 1 unit at most venues.

So these are first impressions from the comfort of my settee - may be different once I'm striding the fairways.

Regards

TG - from the (freezing) UK :crazy2:

Hi ClubHoUno

Wifey has one cos I bought it her for Christmas :rolleyes: . Since then the UK has been frozen solid and I've had no opportunity of playing golf for the past 2 weeks and therefore not had the chance to run the 2 GPS systems side-by-side.

Have had plenty of time to sit indoors and play around with the Sonocaddie, so I'll be reasonably familiar with it when I do eventually get out on the course.

I've been impressed with the service offered by Sonostar (parent organisation) in mapping out our home course. I had to provide them with details of the scorecard and then marked out each hole on Google Earth, saved it as a jpeg file and then emailed to them. Few days later received email to say they had done the gps referencing and they were working on the colour course layout.

2 days ago further email to say that everything was complete. Have since downloaded it to the Sonocaddie unit.

Have looked at our course detail on the Sonocaddie and it seems far less detailed than the information on the SG5; it has only one or two hazards on each hole showing plus green F&B, but with the capacity to map our own hazards etc in once we're out on the course, I guess we can get it with as much detail as the SG5.

Where it might not measure up to the SG5 is when playing other courses where Sonostar has only put in minimal information - as with our course. If these are courses you are playing as a 'once-off', then there would be no purpose in mapping in extras as they would be of no value on the day, and of no long-term use if you're unlikely to play there again.

But it's great to have 2 different systems as Sonocaddie has some courses mapped that SkyCaddie hasn't...and vice versa. And as we play golf all over the world it means that we should have coverage on at least 1 unit at most venues.

So these are first impressions from the comfort of my settee - may be different once I'm striding the fairways.

Regards

Thanks TG, it's also freezing cold here in Denmark, but I can see that it's colder in Germany, UK and Middle Europe compared to Scandinavia right now.

We'll get into the 40's Fahrenheit and 5°-6° Celsius on Friday, so I'll probably play some winter golf there. Was in the golf simulator and on the heated range yesterday, and while it's good fun to practice, while it's freezing cold just outside - I still prefer the real thing :crazy2: - just call me crazy :swoon2:

I don't use my GPS or Laser, when playing winter golf - I only play with a driver, 6 iron and 7 iron, 2 wedges and a putter - and just hit & hope I get the distance pretty correct. Use a lot of knock down shots with my 6 and 7 iron to dial in the shorter distance shots and I actually think it makes me a better player from playing all these funny types of shots, when the real season starts. I also feel like I'm becoming a really good chipper and pitcher of the ball, because I only carry less than half a bag during the colder winter months, when I get the chance to play outdoor (use half set winter bag from December to March). I often miss the green because I don't have the proper iron for the precise distance, so have a lot of small pitch and chip shots from 10-20 yards out side the green and I'm really good at getting up and down saving par - and I think it has a lot to do with the less than half winter bag I carry during the off season. I'm a deadly chipper/pitcher from 20-30 yards and in with my 6 and 7 iron from the fairway or second cut rough and I just love the flop shots from 15 yards and in with my lobwedge - so winter golf can in fact be quite good for ones golf game, hard to believe so :crazy2:

But back on topic - do you find the electronic scorecard of the V300 great or don't you use it at all ?

I miss this feature in the Skycaddie devices and really hope they consider having such a score card feature in their next unit.

I map my own courses and it's really easy with the V300 - I've heard it's a pain in the bu_tt doing that with the Skycaddie SG5 unit, if possible at all :beruo:

Once I get to play a new course, I'll bring my laser range finder, if the V300 hasn't got that course mapped properly.

Also use my Laser from 150 yards and in, because it gives me better accuracy to the pin. I play 5 courses and very seldom play new course, so I just map these 5 courses and I don't have any trouble believing the accuracy, because I've mapped the courses myself. If the Skycaddie lacks self mapping, they really have to make very accurate and precise mappings or I would hate to own it and use it, if I doubted the course was correctly mapped.

Also find that the 30 courses the V300 can hold is great for guys who play a lot of courses, when traveling.

I do plan to take on a golf trip nest year, so maybe the 30 courses on my V300 will come in handy there :)

Hi ClubHoUno

Regards

Thanks TG, it's also freezing cold here in Denmark, but I can see that it's colder in Germany, UK and Middle Europe compared to Scandinavia right now.

We'll get into the 40's Fahrenheit and 5°-6° Celsius on Friday, so I'll probably play some winter golf there. Was in the golf simulator and on the heated range yesterday, and while it's good fun to practice, while it's freezing cold just outside - I still prefer the real thing :crazy2: - just call me crazy :swoon2:

I don't use my GPS or Laser, when playing winter golf - I only play with a driver, 6 iron and 7 iron, 2 wedges and a putter - and just hit & hope I get the distance pretty correct. Use a lot of knock down shots with my 6 and 7 iron to dial in the shorter distance shots and I actually think it makes me a better player from playing all these funny types of shots, when the real season starts. I also feel like I'm becoming a really good chipper and pitcher of the ball, because I only carry less than half a bag during the colder winter months, when I get the chance to play outdoor (use half set winter bag from December to March). I often miss the green because I don't have the proper iron for the precise distance, so have a lot of small pitch and chip shots from 10-20 yards out side the green and I'm really good at getting up and down saving par - and I think it has a lot to do with the less than half winter bag I carry during the off season. I'm a deadly chipper/pitcher from 20-30 yards and in with my 6 and 7 iron from the fairway or second cut rough and I just love the flop shots from 15 yards and in with my lobwedge - so winter golf can in fact be quite good for ones golf game, hard to believe so :crazy2:

But back on topic - do you find the electronic scorecard of the V300 great or don't you use it at all ?

I miss this feature in the Skycaddie devices and really hope they consider having such a score card feature in their next unit.

I map my own courses and it's really easy with the V300 - I've heard it's a pain in the bu_tt doing that with the Skycaddie SG5 unit, if possible at all :beruo:

Once I get to play a new course, I'll bring my laser range finder, if the V300 hasn't got that course mapped properly.

Also use my Laser from 150 yards and in, because it gives me better accuracy to the pin. I play 5 courses and very seldom play new course, so I just map these 5 courses and I don't have any trouble believing the accuracy, because I've mapped the courses myself. If the Skycaddie lacks self mapping, they really have to make very accurate and precise mappings or I would hate to own it and use it, if I doubted the course was correctly mapped.

Also find that the 30 courses the V300 can hold is great for guys who play a lot of courses, when traveling.

I do plan to take on a golf trip nest year, so maybe the 30 courses on my V300 will come in handy there :)

and warm weather is a long way off :russian_roulette:

Knowing the distance you need to hit the ball is priceless. For club selection and for confidence while swinging. The choice between GPS and rangefinder is down to which you feel does the job best/ is most convenient. Personally I've dumped my GPS and have used my Bushnell pinseeker 1500 for the last couple of years.

I carry a rangefinder on the course, and it serves me well. I'm now considering a GPS unit, but would like feedback from the members on what GPS has really done for your game?

Anyway, what has it done for your game? Are you getting your return on investment?

Thanks.

Brian

I've owned a rangefinder since back in the mid-90s, Bushnell 400; and have an SG1 (didn't like it so never used it). I now have and regularly use SG5 in conjuction with Bushnell 1500 Pinseeker tournament; neither provides all that I want that's the reason for both.

Anyways, both help but neither does much when it comes to direct score improvement. Both help me to work my way around obstacles and speed up the game. No more wandering around looking for yardage markers. My wife choses the Bushnell 1500 over the SG5 when she's playing because she likes to keep it simple; and if push came to shove, I'd chose 1500 too.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 3 weeks later...

Basically, the GPS GOLF GURU keeps track of my shots. This allows me to continuously collect and track distances for each club. Since most of us do not have ShotLink or something similar, the GURU does this and more.

As with some of the others on this forum I have a Pinseeker 1500 w/Slope. This is by far the most accurate for getting distances to traps and pins.

But, for ease of use - the GURU is far and above the others. I have marked additional items on certain holes and all I have to do is look at the screen and pick a club. It makes it easier to just think about my swing since I know the average distance for my clubs now.

Unfortunately, I still have to putt!

just got a sg2.5.... hearing everyone blast the subscription fee, I thought it was 50 a month.... I got the cheap one for 30 a year.... 2.75 a month is like a not getting a soda....cheap and well worth it....

anyway the GPS has help me with 2 major things:

1. Knowing when I'm 125, 120, 110, 105, and 100yds help me with my wedges to get close to the hole... cause god knows I cant putt.

2. Knowing how far I hit each club.... I really had a problem with my 9,8, and 7 until the gps....

I've had the original golflogix unit for a year. It immediately speeds you up. No more looking for a sprinklerhead and pacing. You just glance at the unit. Secondly, when you do find yourself down the hill, on the wrong hole, with vision obscurred, you have an accurate distance - again, with no calculation time.

When playing with GPS-enabled carts in the past, I found that it would paralyze the group. Guys who don't even know how far they hit their sand wedge suddenly wouldn't hit without knowing the distance to every rock and tree. That is why I like the golflogix. It gives you three distances per hole, plus front/center/back of the green. One glance and you're done.

Knowing the distance to the front and back of the green does make a difference. Before GPS, I would just assume that all greens were about 30 yards long. Having an accurate measurement can be invaluable in hitting to a tight pin, or when the lake runs right up to the green.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used a skycadddie for 4 years and its priceless.

You know what really grinds my gears? Seeing so many people on this forum complain about an annual fee. Its $30 a freakin year cmon. That is less than most of you pay for a dozen golf balls or one round of golf. What do you think is a better bang for the buck? A dozen Titleists that may last you a week or two or a golf GPS that will give you an exact distance to bunkers/water/green on every golf shot of the year?

Im as broke as the next guy but cmon, this is such a lame excuse.

/rant

You can also get a used skycaddie SG2 on ebay for around $125 last I looked. In the famous words of Cosmo Kramer "Retaiiiiil is for suckers".

the guru saves the concern on distance and club choice on unfamiliar courses, especially in these winter months. I measure my drives and fairway shots, which has been invaluable, during the round. I learned the distance lost depending on the extent of cold temperature and wind.

I believe I gained about 2 strokes per round, as I've hit more greens. However a putting deficiency can easily offset the advantages.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a laser Range finder user had a Bushnell 1500 TE i liked it alot but had trouble getting some things to laser easily and fast. Got a Golflogix GP-7 and loved it from the first use. What i love it that it tells me yardage quick and easy, i dont hunt for markers. I now know the yardage i need and pick a club fast. It helps alot on new courses cause you dont have to guess on things off the tee or on approaches. The fee is nothing 30 bucks a year for unlimited courses and downloads. That is cheap top me. Plus Golflogix allows you to upgrade your unit at half price.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I love the few folks who try to be all pure about it....talking about it helps less skilled golfers but true players know how to gauge distance. I guess that's why tour pros have caddies that have meticulous course books with yardages from every conceivable place on the course.

I have played quite a long time and am quite good at estimating distances.....a GPS gives me more accurate info and has lowered my scores. I can guess or I can know....I'd rather know.

I just traded in a rangefinder and got a gps... but for me knowing the distance easily and quickly saves me a lot of strokes. I get a few older guys that scoff at me using it, but I could care less. They usually shout out how far it is thinking they know exactly the yardage from everywhere on the course. A few holes later when they fly one over the green... I laugh at them :)

Checking the yardage is as much a part of my preshot routine now as addressing the ball.

I traded the Pinseeker 1500 T.E. (non-slope) for a Sky Caddie SG5 and it's probably been one of the best things I've done for my game in 3yrs. I have exact yardage, hazzards, lay-ups and distances on every shot I make.

On more than on instance, I have been standing slap-dab on a yardage marker and my Sky Caddie has been more accurate than the marker itself!

I can't imagine having to play without it...