What has GPS "really" done for your game?

Expensive or Priceless?
I can honestly say that there isn't much that I haven't tried in the way of equipment, training aids, etc. to feed my addiction. However, the one prevailing reason for all of the changing is to see an improvement in my game, and ultimately in my scores. I carry a rangefinder on the course, and it serves me well. I'm now considering a GPS unit, but would like feedback from the members on what GPS has really done for your game?

My father-in-law bought one last Christmas, and I asked him today if the purchase was worth it, and if so, how? His game hasn't improved much, and he still struggles with the same aspects of the game as before. Two interesting points he made.

1) The primary benefit to him has been "confidence." He says he feels confident when reaching into his bag for the next shot (PRO).
2) It's hard for him to play without, i.e. lack of confidence in his ability to determine distance (CON).

When asked if it was worth the expense, his response was "priceless." BTW - He uses a SkyCaddie, but hates the annual fee.

Anyway, what has it done for your game? Are you getting your return on investment?

Thanks.

Brian

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After three years of using one, I sold my SkyCaddie and went to a Bushnell 1500 TE... haven't missed it a bit. I actually like the versatility of the laser more since I don't have to download courses, etc. I can use it at the range or any course I decide to play on a moment's notice. The only drawback is on blind shots, but really that isn't that big of a deal, just use the markings from the sprinklerheads.

I had a brief stint with a GPS, and for me it was just expensive. I didn't hit any extra greens, or score any better. I switched to a laser range finder, and couldn't be happier. I can know exact distances at the push of a button. I also really like having the ability to use the range finder at the range. My range has lots of greens with different pins, and it has really helped me get my distances down.

I personally dont own a gps, but a course I play frequently has GPS equipped carts that are very accurate. Its cool knowing how far your drive went I suppose, but to me, it takes away from the game, you know? I like obtaining course knowledge through expierience not technology lol

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I would not trade my Sky Caddie for anything , most of the publc courses i play in the area only have 100 and 150 yardage markers and no sprinkler heads marked and it also has helped me see just how added yards there are on larger deep greens , and it 's still very usefull on courses with yardage markers as it is alot more convienent looking at the gps than searching around for a marker

For newer players I think they're very valuable. Learning distances is a key part of becoming a shooter and a GPS shortens the learning curve. Same thing for learning your own club distances. Taking an extra 5 seconds to jot down every shot (distance and club) over even just 5 or 6 rounds will begin to give you a pretty accurate book on each club's average distance.

Together, knowing how far to the trap or pin, and how far you consistently hit a 6 iron can quickly cut strokes off a beginners game. Now for guys who've been playing 5, 10 or 15 years if they dont' know that stuff by now they never will.

I don't own a golf GPS yet, but I will soon. However I have used them many times, both the hand held and cart based systems and they work well and I really enjoy having one with me. I believe the largest benefit is when playing new courses or courses that you are less familiar with and the confidence the GPS provides by knowing yardages.

Furthermore, some courses I play less frequently, even good courses, are poorly marked and I have spent too much time walking around looking for markers that may not even exist. That becomes a point of frustration that doesn't help my golf game. I have actually avoided playing some courses in my community because they are so poorly marked. With a GPS I will look forward to playing them once in a while. It's nice to play a new course and be confident about distances. That's one less thing to worry about and allow more focus on the game. Also if you're not looking around for markers you can play faster and more efficiently.

I see a few people have said that GPS takes away from the game, however that's like saying a professional caddie takes away from the game. I would argue that the GPS simply allows a regular golfer (like me) to know distances from every conceivable angle on the course, just like a caddie would know.

I also like technical gadgets, but I'm also frugal, so when the devices were $300+ I said no way. Now that there is a handful well below $250, even one at less than $150 I will be buying one in the spring. However I won't buy any device that has a compulsory annual membership requirement just to keep the maps that I've already downloaded!

At under $200, I say priceless.

When walking the course it helps to find distances quicker and is a great aid in shot selection. It encourages me to want to walk the course. I enjoy the process of walking and pulling out my Neo to find distances. Rounds go faster because the distances are literally at your finger tips. No looking for markers and counting steps back and fourth to estimate distances. I find it does help with my scores because I am generally making better club selection.

All in all it is just adds positively to the whole experience

I think the benefits one sees from any 'aid' is dependant on thier ability.

If you have the ablilty to place shots acurately within a few yards , the ability to shape the ball to the hole and/or green shape and the ability to control distance and trajectory then GPS' and rangefinders are priceless.

If your not quite there yet they can still be very helpfull but you won't see the full benefits just yet.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I've got both a rangefinder and a GPS. The rangefinder is now used once or twice a round where no custom mapping exists.

The GPS - Priceless.

Exactly....half time I forget rangefinder in the car. Just speeds play to be able to look at SG5 and go , it's this to front, this over bunker...no pointing and shooting with laser...irreplaceable

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

...look at SG5 and go , it's this to front, this over bunker...no pointing and shooting with laser...irreplaceable

That was always my augment for GPS over range finder...convenient, hands free operation vs pulling out the range finder and zeroing in on some target. Green blind? Now you are out of luck. Yes, ranger finder more accurate and gives exact yardages, but I am not of that skill level. 135 to center works for me, I don't need to know the actual pin is 129.

What's it done for my game? Enhanced the overall experience, made it easier to determine yardages, especially after an errant tee ball. I do find myself coming up short less as I will often use the back of green yardage as my number to ensure I get there. It's like having a little friend with me, right there in my Speed Cart's cup holder.

Priceless for me, but I can definately play without it and often do when I take trips and forget to upload the courses that I am playing while out of town. It is great becuase it gives me specific lay-up yardages and dog-leg yardages that are often not given...and for the me the main benefit is the time savings thought!

I personally dont own a gps, but a course I play frequently has GPS equipped carts that are very accurate. Its cool knowing how far your drive went I suppose, but to me, it takes away from the game, you know? I like obtaining course knowledge through expierience not technology lol

I don't view a gps or rangefinder as taking away from the game. After all, we all look at yardage markers to try and get an accurate distance, all this technology does is make it easier to find those yardages.

GPS is priceless!

I had an older skycaddie that attached to my palm, and I loved it. I won a new GPS a UPRO and have not used it it yet on the course but it is really cool. If you want basic information on alomost any course you do not need a subscription. all basic courses are free and you get all the information on front middle back and hazard distances. If you want the pro mode you can buy courses or buy credits for a decent price.

I have found that I am more confident hitting into the green when I know the distance. I always have trouble when I dont know the distance and I will try to over/under power a shot at the last second just because I am second guessing through out the swing. I am in ohio and a lot of courses are very hilly and you find yourself with blind shots all the time. so the GPS is better around here. If you play where it is flat a range finder might be better?

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I've used my new sg5 for 6 or 7 rounds now. It am much more confident on the courses and make smarter decisions now because of all of the layup points and fairway bunkers marked. It has also shown me that I under club some. I have to agree with others = worth every penny.

It definately speeds up play for our group.

I have owned a laser rangefinder for about 8 years and always found it valuable. It is still in my bag and I pull it out maybe once or twice per round when I really want exact yardage to a pin. Outside of that, I use my Guru all the time. It's too hard w/a rangefinder to get distances to the front/back of greens or traps/hazards. I can get these distances w/a quick glance to my Guru and find this information of vital importance in terms of scoring.

Those that love their rangefinders and see no use for GPS simply have never tried a GPS or don't understand the extent of their usefullness. That being said, some GPS units are rather limited in their function since the mapping info utilized on their units consists of simply green information (front/center/back). When I play a course with my Guru that only has this information, I immediately request a remap that includes all of the hazard info, even if I have no intention of playing that course again (travel, etc).

Priceless. I play on a course that is nearly impossible to find a yardage marker (no 100-150-200 stakes even). One situation I was in was a bad drive left me well to the right of the fairway but I still had a clear shot. I visually gauged distance and was going to pull my 9i, then looked at the GPS and decided to play a PW based on the yardage listed. After the shot was done I realized a 9i would have been too much club and put me off the green. Instead, I was on in regulation and parred the hole.

I have a skycaddie, the biggest advantage to me is seeing the green depth on each hole. Many courses in my area only have the middle of the green marked on the sprinklerheads, so this is a huge benefit.

The only thing I wish they could add to make it that much more superior is if there was a way to get a hole layout instead of targets. Courses I am unfamiliar with, it would be nice to see what is up there besides what the scorecard says or the targets the GPS list.

In my opinion, priceless. For $50 a year its a good deal I think.

I don't yet own one and have never used one... but as a relative newcomer to the game, one of my biggest frustrations is not knowing the course.

We have several courses that are hilly with doglegs... and even though I have the little drawing on the scorecard and the hole marker at the tee, it usually does no justice to the hole. As a result, my target on a lot of shots is ambiguous.

My second and third time around on a course my scores improve drastically. I'm hoping a GPS will alleviate at least some of that by giving me a better picture of the course, overall.

I don't yet own one and have never used one... but as a relative newcomer to the game, one of my biggest frustrations is not knowing the course.

We have several courses that are hilly with doglegs... and even though I have the little drawing on the scorecard and the hole marker at the tee, it usually does no justice to the hole. As a result, my target on a lot of shots is ambiguous.

My second and third time around on a course my scores improve drastically. I'm hoping a GPS will alleviate at least some of that by giving me a better picture of the course, overall.

Not all GPS systems give you a hole layout so be careful what you buy if this is your main criterion for purchasing one. Certainly the SG5 (which I use) doesn't have it. Sonocaddie V300 which my wife has does have a depiction of each hole (on some courses only) but it's more an 'artist's impression' using Google Earth, or even the couse layout shown on the scorecard for reference rather than a 'full colour movie' fly-over.

Other systems do have fly-overs, but I'm no expert on those; hopefully there are other BMs who can advise.

Like all things, do plenty of research before handing over the plastic!

Hope this help.

TG - in the UK

Laser rangefinder or GPS has been suprisingly helpful to me on distances 70 yds and in. I constantly underestimate the distance which kills my ability to get up and down. Another place where a yardage aid is helpful is on the times you ride and play cart path only. You at least have a ballpark number to take the right clubs without taking off your bag and dragging it over to the ball and then strapping it back on the cart. I prefer GPS because I do have trouble with keeping a range finder steady enough to focus on a pin. All in all they have been another source of info that helps me play better and at a quick pace.

Using a GPS has helped me zero in on accurate club distances-my experience (confirmed by many other posts on this board) is that the majority of double digit handicappers over-estimate (often significantly) how far they hit their clubs. It has also given me confidence to take shots that I might otherwise be less likely to as I know accurate (beyond my accuracy with the given club level, accurate) layups, carrys, blinds, etc.

I don't like golfing without one, now.

Not all GPS systems give you a hole layout so be careful what you buy if this is your main criterion for purchasing one. Certainly the SG5 (which I use) doesn't have it. Sonocaddie V300 which my wife has does have a depiction of each hole (on some courses only) but it's more an 'artist's impression' using Google Earth, or even the couse layout shown on the scorecard for reference rather than a 'full colour movie' fly-over.

Other systems do have fly-overs, but I'm no expert on those; hopefully there are other BMs who can advise.

Like all things, do plenty of research before handing over the plastic!

Hope this help.

TG - in the UK

Interesting that you have the SG5 and your wife the V300. I own the V300 and I feel it only really lacks the SmartGreen/Intelligreen feature to be the almost perfect Golf GPS system. How do you feel about the V300 compared to your SG5, I guess you have tested both, since your wife owns the V300 ;)