Adams Tech a4 9015d driver....uhhh, ballspeed!!!!

dlefty

For those of you who have the 9015d in stock flex(r or s), did you notice any difference in height of ball compared to what you have been using? Do you need less, more, or the same loft?

Had a 905r 9.5 with a V2 and I went up to a 10.5 in the Adams based mostly on reports on this board. I was only able to hit a few shots with the stock shaft in x, and I felt the ballflight was about the same. But this is way early in the year for me to really give a good report. Hope this helps.

pops

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who have the 9015d in stock flex(r or s), did you notice any difference in height of ball compared to what you have been using? Do you need less, more, or the same loft?

I currently hit an 8.5* Hyper X Tour, and have no issues with the 9015 8.5*. If anything it launches a bit higher than my current combo.

With that said I have always been a very high ball hitter with a ton of spin aprox 3200-3500 with my current setup. The adams launches a degree or two higher for me and drops my spin to the 2900-3200 range. I get a bit more carry and a ton more roll with the stock 9015 set up.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

+1 to One_Putt_blunder. I've pretty much always played a 8.5* head and in comparison to my last driver (TM TB TP 8.5*), the 9015d that I have in 8.5* has about the same height with less spin. I too tend to hit the ball high with a ton of spin (driver usually over 3,500) and the Adams driver is a low spin head for sure. I was getting spin between 2,700 - 3,000 with it on the LM.

My 9015d just forced me to sell my s91 pro d that wasn't worthy of my 9015. I am tempted to try the R9 but am afraid that this driver will just put it to shame. This driver is the best driver out there !

Smokey, I think you just saved me $399! Was the Pro D shorter distance wise?, less forgiving?

The s91 wasn't controllable I got a few out there but I felt like I was swinging too hard. I didn't like the ball flight at all and it definitely wasn't forgiving. It felt like a rock to me. The 9015d beats it in every way except looks wise. I played 2 rounds last Sunday and the 1st with the 9015d hit 11 fairways avg distance was 288 but my misses were just slightly right which is a plus for me as usually I duck hook em left on misses. Nice mid ball flight which lands very soft for attacking tight fairways. The 2nd round I played the s91 and only hit 7 fairways and misses were all left which I hate and the low bal flight made my misses that much worse so I sold the club Monday LOL. I like the sound of the 9015d and the very open face on it just gives me a little added confidence in my swing. I am a driver addict but the Adams put me in check. I even demo the R9 and just didnt have the same smash factor as the 9015.

Very good to know as the Pro D is quite a looker but I can't run with looks alone. It is no wonder there aren't many good reviews so far on the Cobra Pros. I too have stopped ho'ing drivers since the A4 and the Pro D was going to be the first go at a different driver for a while. Thanks again for the heads up as I'd rather try another shaft in the same head than try a different head that isn't as good.

Long-

Try the S9-1 Pro S..

It's the longest for me out of my top 3, which are the 9015D, 09 Burner TP and now the S9-1 Pro S..

Ballspeed was so high I bought it on the spot.. my Diamana is installed now and drying as we speak!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Forgot to say the Pro S was longer and had less spin for my swing.. had a max ball speed of 183. My best ever.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Guys, thanks for all the info on this site. I just ordered the A4 w/ 70s X-stiff stock matrix ozik. Can't wait to get it. With SS of 102-106, do you guys feel the X stiff was the way to go? I played an aldila dvs stiff and the CPMs are the same as the CPMs in the Ozik X stiff. Weird, but from what I've read on this post, it seems to make sense

It depends entirely on how you swing. My SS is 110-113 and I play a stock stiff. The sticker on the butt end of the club says "256 CPMs's" and that roughly equates to less-than-stiff but stiffer-than-regular and it fits me perfectly for my swing. I'm a swinger, not a hitter. I have a smooth transition so I don't go after it like a gorilla. This shaft is smooth as silk with nice action through impact. Actually, I think it helps me hit it a bit further because it's unloading better. For the record, I've always played driver shafts that were either untipped X's or stiff shafts that were tipped a couple of inches and they felt like boards.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

It depends entirely on how you swing. My SS is 110-113 and I play a stock stiff. The sticker on the butt end of the club says "256 CPMs's" and that roughly equates to less-than-stiff but stiffer-than-regular and it fits me perfectly for my swing. I'm a swinger, not a hitter. I have a smooth transition so I don't go after it like a gorilla. This shaft is smooth as silk with nice action through impact. Actually, I think it helps me hit it a bit further because it's unloading better. For the record, I've always played driver shafts that were either untipped X's or stiff shafts that were tipped a couple of inches and they felt like boards.

I agree that it depends on HOW you swing, not just your swing speed. My normal SS is in the 105 range and the stock stiff shaft was an absolute nightmare from a dispersion standpoint. I am more of a hitter than a swinger. Switched to a Whiteboard 73 (263 CPMs) and this club has been a delight. My ball flight is flatter than my previous set-up (which is good) and I am extremely confident that given a decent swing, it will go where I aim it. The 9015 has a very hot club face and produces great ball speed/smash factor. My take: great head, but like all drivers, make sure you find the right shaft for your swing.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Forgot to say the Pro S was longer and had less spin for my swing.. had a max ball speed of 183. My best ever.

Shoot! I was just about to pull the trigger on a Burner TP '09. Did you get the 8.5* Pro S?

LOL.. you still cant go wrong with the 09BTP! I got the 9.5 S, it launches lower than the BTP..

If you're near the OC you can hit my ProS.. I need to tip my Diamana another half inch I think. Hit it today on the range and it is LONG!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Woohoo - mine arrived today - thanks Sellingers for wonderful service. If the club is as good as the shaft (Kai'li) looks, I'm gonna be one happy bunny. :D

Will take it to the range on the weekend and report back.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

WOW... all these hypes for a single driver!

And with all these posts about kicking every driver there is! :good:

I just wonder how it would do againts the Adams Speedline???

Any of you guys tried the speedline how does it compare to the A4?

I'm now in a dilema between the A4 and the Speedline...

Still waiting for a speedline thread with as much raves as this one :D

Speedline is really good also! You've got some good options discussed in this thread.. and some great feedback.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

WOW... all these hypes for a single driver!

And with all these posts about kicking every driver there is! :good:

I just wonder how it would do againts the Adams Speedline???

Any of you guys tried the speedline how does it compare to the A4?

I'm now in a dilema between the A4 and the Speedline...

Still waiting for a speedline thread with as much raves as this one :D

Speedline is good but more spin and not quite as forgiving as the A4/9015D. The 9015D is more of a "bombers" club whereas the Speedline has the extra spin necessary if a guy really wants to work the ball off the tee. That's the main reason the Speedline is not replacing the A4/9015D, but just another addition to the Adams line-up

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5"

TM Stealth 2+ Rescue 4H at 21°, KBS Proto 95X

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

Last week I bought the A4/9015D proto driver with the Matrix Ozik 60S shaft. I hit some balls on the range and took it out on the course to compare to my Cleveland XL Tour driver with the Diamana Blueboard shaft. My first impression of the A4 is that I can not feel the club head in my swing. The Cleveland XL tour is heavier so I feel it throughout my swing. I bomb the Cleveland driver and it has been the best/longest driver I have ever had. I wasn't hitting drives any further with the Adams driver than my current set up. The Adams driver was some 5 or so yards behind the Cleveland with minimal roll. I like the sound feedback I get with the Cleveland compared to the Adams. The Adams seems more muffled with less sound feedback.

I have been thinking about putting some tape weight on the Adams driver to give it a another go but I have decided that my Cleveland is much better. Anyone want an almost new A4/9015D Prototype driver? It may go in the BST section soon.

I need to try the 9015D. Although like you mention above, the XL Tour is the best driver I have ever hit. How would you compare the height between the 2? Same loft? I know probably different shafts...

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

I need to try the 9015D. Although like you mention above, the XL Tour is the best driver I have ever hit. How would you compare the height between the 2? Same loft? I know probably different shafts...

The Adams was a little flatter in trajectory than the XL Tour. Both drivers have 9.5* loft. What I find with with the XL tour is that the ball has extremely low spin off the driver so when the ball hits the ground it's rolling forever. The ball off the Adams club seemed to not roll as much. Now, I don't know if the shaft is causing that or the club head. My only complaint is that the Adams driver is extremely light. I can see how someone can generate some club head speed with this but I couldn't feel where the club head was during my swing. I like a heavier swing weight in my driver.

Before giving up on your 9015, you may want to look at a different shaft. A good read of this thread will yield an all-too-familiar message: the stock shaft isn't for everybody. In fact, the majority of people that have the 9015 in the bag have switched out the shaft. Like I said a few weeks ago, I swing pretty aggressively at the ball (upper 170s ball speed) and had the exact same complaint you did: I couldn't feel the club at all when I swung it, and that was with the stock X. If you're truly that happy with your XL Tour, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you're looking at making a change, possibly for the better, give this underdog another chance.

Again, just my $0.02.

Matt

I really liked the 9015 with WB 63x it is a bomber of a club but I didnt like the feel of the WB. The numbers were pretty good but I was a little inconsistent with this club. I went to the cobra L4V and while I dont think this "new" club is any longer its definatly more forgiving for me. The 9015 did have a really HOT face.

I really liked it.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

put a rombax z and u'll thank me later :D

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

I've tried the stock 70gm shaft, the real Code 6, and didn't love this driver that much.

BUT..............

Have a new FUJIKURA ATL installed and now I can't see a different driver making any run at my bag this year. I knew it was a great head, b/c my good swings even w/ the other shafts were very very long and hit the ground running, But now, w/ a more consistent shaft, i'm getting the distance but also s much more consistent trajectory and can work it either way. I highly recommend this shaft!

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Last week I bought the A4/9015D proto driver with the Matrix Ozik 60S shaft. I hit some balls on the range and took it out on the course to compare to my Cleveland XL Tour driver with the Diamana Blueboard shaft. My first impression of the A4 is that I can not feel the club head in my swing. The Cleveland XL tour is heavier so I feel it throughout my swing. I bomb the Cleveland driver and it has been the best/longest driver I have ever had. I wasn't hitting drives any further with the Adams driver than my current set up. The Adams driver was some 5 or so yards behind the Cleveland with minimal roll. I like the sound feedback I get with the Cleveland compared to the Adams. The Adams seems more muffled with less sound feedback.

I have been thinking about putting some tape weight on the Adams driver to give it a another go but I have decided that my Cleveland is much better. Anyone want an almost new A4/9015D Prototype driver? It may go in the BST section soon.

I also thought that I didn't have control of the club because it was too long and too light. I cut it down half an inch and put 2 small strips of lead tape behind the weight of the club and and a strip half the size of the other two on each side of the head. It transformed this club to a laser. I now feel where the head is throughout the swing and it still has the very low spin even though I cut the half inch off the butt end instead of tipping it. I've also had a tour issue Hibore XL 8.5* in the past but I like the look and feel of the A4 even better. The whole thing cost me $5.00 since they were able to re-use the grip after cutting the butt end and I also had them add two wraps of tape to that thin stock grip. I'm a tinkerer so eventually I'll change the shaft to a heaver one but for now I'll enjoy this club as it is.

The Adams was a little flatter in trajectory than the XL Tour. Both drivers have 9.5* loft. What I find with with the XL tour is that the ball has extremely low spin off the driver so when the ball hits the ground it's rolling forever. The ball off the Adams club seemed to not roll as much. Now, I don't know if the shaft is causing that or the club head. My only complaint is that the Adams driver is extremely light. I can see how someone can generate some club head speed with this but I couldn't feel where the club head was during my swing. I like a heavier swing weight in my driver.

I've hit it at a golf store with the stock Ozik and did not like it either but with the right shaft I really think this driver is King.

HiBore XL is one of my all-time favorites too, the Adams is comparible in spin (Adams probably a touch lower from my experience) and there is a definite difference is swingweight. If I remember right the HiBore XL is a D5-D6 whereas the Adams is a D1-D2, so you might need to change the shaft and add a 3 inch strip of lead tape to the head to get the swingweight similar to your HiBore XL

I finally hit the 9015D today! Played 15 holes or so with a 9.5* - stock Matrix 60g in a stiff. Yikes :o . I was all over the place with it. The shaft feels whimpy lmao. WTF is that grip? It feels like I am holding a pencil in my hands. I am a 105 +/- swinger, slow on the back, aggressive on the down. I hit some bad fades, and some bad hooks. Once I figured out the setup, etc, I hit some very nice drives with it. Straight or with a hint of draw. Nice drives as in farther than my G10. I absolutely love the sound of this head.

I am officially on the bandwagon. My G10 is now for sale, and I will be purchasing a 9015D! :yahoo:

Here's my problem. The shaft is no good for me, and I am not going to waste my time with the 70g version. I need something to help me control this beast. :help:

Yeah, don't bother with the stock Adams Ozik shafts. For $45 you can put in a Harrison SAGA in the 60g or 70g, whatever your weight preference is, I tell you the SAGA absolutely loves the 9015D...you may also consider Diamana BB 63 or 73, Fuji E360, Accra SC 65 or 75. I've said this a few times regarding the 9015D head, but the mid-launch, mid-spin shafts have worked out very good for my avg. 107mph SS. I had a 9015D w/ a Diamana WB and that is usually a good shaft for me but the 9015D head is too low spin for me to use a WB unless I went up in loft on the head.

Try the SAGA, for $45, you can't go wrong...

how do/did you like the Accra SC75.....thanks

I finally hit the 9015D today! Played 15 holes or so with a 9.5* - stock Matrix 60g in a stiff. Yikes :o . I was all over the place with it. The shaft feels whimpy lmao. WTF is that grip? It feels like I am holding a pencil in my hands. I am a 105 +/- swinger, slow on the back, aggressive on the down. I hit some bad fades, and some bad hooks. Once I figured out the setup, etc, I hit some very nice drives with it. Straight or with a hint of draw. Nice drives as in farther than my G10. I absolutely love the sound of this head.

I am officially on the bandwagon. My G10 is now for sale, and I will be purchasing a 9015D! :yahoo:

Here's my problem. The shaft is no good for me, and I am not going to waste my time with the 70g version. I need something to help me control this beast. :help:

Yeah, don't bother with the stock Adams Ozik shafts. For $45 you can put in a Harrison SAGA in the 60g or 70g, whatever your weight preference is, I tell you the SAGA absolutely loves the 9015D...you may also consider Diamana BB 63 or 73, Fuji E360, Accra SC 65 or 75. I've said this a few times regarding the 9015D head, but the mid-launch, mid-spin shafts have worked out very good for my avg. 107mph SS. I had a 9015D w/ a Diamana WB and that is usually a good shaft for me but the 9015D head is too low spin for me to use a WB unless I went up in loft on the head.

Love the SC75 in this head. Great, smooth feel, very straight, and it has a nice penetrating trajectory that stays in the air with nice carry. Very good shaft!

Love the SC75 in this head. Great, smooth feel, very straight, and it has a nice penetrating trajectory that stays in the air with nice carry. Very good shaft!

thanks for the reply....you have a preference between the Saga and Accra....

thanks for the reply....you have a preference between the Saga and Accra....

No problem...The SAGA is longer, the Accra is straighter...gaming the Accra right now since it's still plently long and I've got it fine tuned where I hit a 1-2 yrd. fade w/ it pretty consistently. It's also smoother than the SAGA...SAGA is GREAT but I like the smoother feel of the Accra

put a rombax z and u'll thank me later :D

+1

If you are a high spin/launch kind of guy.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black