callaway tour ix

scotte

I agree that they are a bit 'clicky' with the putter, but they hold a green as good as any ball. Stupid long too. I hit some crazy long drives with the ix. I really like the ball, its durability stands out. Two 18 hole rounds and no cuts or anything. I really am loving thr z-star right now, but would not hesitate to play an ix any day of the week. Awesome ball in my opinion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I can ever remember having "a ball." Used to just play any good ball I found on the course or on sale. These do everything right for me...spin enough on short chips to do the one hop and stop, with the added benefit of avoiding the "spin off the green" short iron shots. For me, the i, Pro V1, Platinum etc all seem to have to much zip from 100-120 or so. The ix might back up a touch, but won't pull the string on you.

Bottom line:

Driver--low spin, great feel, Long!

Irons-nice spin, LONG!

Chips--tad firm, but very manageable, predicatable spin

Putts-- does feel clicky, but with an insert putter, it feels great.

I thank you for you comments, it seems to me that guys that play the callaway balls are concerned mostly with distance. Would you guys say this is true? I also notice that slow swingers seem to hit the ix farther, would you say that is true?.

I play Callaway ix because it provides extra distance while giving me hit and stop spin and feel around greens as opposed to ProV1x, undoubtedly due to cover difference.

It's not a slow swingers ball either, so I would be surprised if they hit it farther. I can't imagine why a person with a slow swing would choose any low spin ball, but can understand them choosing ProV or TM TP Black to benefit from how the ball behaves around the green.

On a related note; I think "ix" feels sweet as butter off my putter face, but then again the i7's tour insert is made to enhance feel. One things for sure that combination out performs all the SC putters leaning up against the wall collecting dust in my office.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Because if you look at their site, they don't state that there is a new version. Why don't you do some research yourself. I also work for a golf mag and there has been no report, so your Golf Industry Insider comment is almost spot on...

BTW when I say work for, I mean I work as a developer under one of its senior editors.

I don't know what that means but if you work for a Golf Publication, then I hope you do more research than go to an OEM's web site. Call your connection at Callaway.

I am telling you what I have seen, I am not sure why you are hell bent on proving me wrong, in stead of considering the possibility of an updated model.

You should know as an industry guy that OEMs often release products in the Sunbelt before the rest of the country. We had the original Pro V1 months before they were available in the rest of the country. Sometimes companies make only subtle changes that do not warrant a full bore marketing campaign, i.e. a rolling change.

I played the Callaway Tour ix last year and was looking to reload my bag and found the same model at Golfsmith Duluth, GA for $33. On the shelf next to them were a slightly cosmetically modified box of Tour ix for $44. When I purchased the 08 balls I received a free sleeve of the newer Tour i balls.

As I did not play the Tour i last year I do not know what the side stamp looked like. Nor do I remember if they were 3 or 4 piece balls.

The Tour i balls I received are 4 piece and have the side stamp of:

<•TOURi•>

The Tour ix balls that I recently purchased and used last year have the side stamp:

<TOURix>

To me the "•" on both sides of the Tour i inside of the arrowheads signifies a change. Since I purchased these a few weeks ago I can't remember the exact box changes. If the "•" has always been there then I guess I will be prove wrong, but I also believe the newer Tour ix had the "•" on the side stamp.

I can send a photo if you would like.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I thank you for you comments, it seems to me that guys that play the callaway balls are concerned mostly with distance. Would you guys say this is true? I also notice that slow swingers seem to hit the ix farther, would you say that is true?.

I think this is pretty accurate. I would add that we want distance but with a good amount of greenside control as well. It won't spin as much as some but for players like myself who can't produce a lot of spin, this ball works quite well in that regard.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

i actually like that ball too but after a year have gone back to V1x. id rank the iX vs V1x as follows:

Putting: +1 to V1x as I like the firmer feel (but this is highly personal for each player)

Chipping/Bunkers: +1 V1x, much like putting, prefer the firmer feel

Wedges/Short Irons: +1 V1x as I find with less spin I can control the trajectory better, which is what I use to shape shots more than side-spin

Mid/long Irons: + iX as I feel it has greater spin which makes the shot less hot when it lands

Driver/Woods: about the same although the V1x seems to spin less to me so I'd adjust w/ slightly higher lofted/slightly spinnier shafted driver

if there were no V1x Id take the iX over the V1, which i just dont see anything good about. i think Titleist puts all their technology and thinking into the Vx1 and V1 is more like an after thought.

So the V1x wins by a score of 3-1-1.

also tried the B330's and found them too rockish and the cover wears off and becomes slick after only a few shots.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

ZBigStick,

Have you called Callaway? You haven't said that you did but you keep telling me to?

I'm not really interested in proving you wrong only pointing out that there has not been an announcement. Packaging changes means very little. Stamping doesn't hold much weight either.

I checked their site because they make the balls. Advances in tech usually come with press releases. Basically, if a ball has characteristics better/different than a previous version, there's an announcement. However, the site, golf publications, review sites, none mention a new version which leads me (and others) to believe that there is no new version.

There could be several reasons why you have your experience. From used/found balls, overruns, to promotionals...I don't know.

If you believe it's a new version, continue to do so. If I'm wrong and the info isn't out to the public yet, that's fine. Can we drop this now?

L.A.B. Golf DF3

I like the Tour i ball -- haven't played it in some time since I've worked with the 330RX. This thread has me interested in the Tour i again -- especially since temps are heating up.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

ZBigStick,

Have you called Callaway? You haven't said that you did but you keep telling me to?

I'm not really interested in proving you wrong only pointing out that there has not been an announcement. Packaging changes means very little. Stamping doesn't hold much weight either.

I checked their site because they make the balls. Advances in tech usually come with press releases. Basically, if a ball has characteristics better/different than a previous version, there's an announcement. However, the site, golf publications, review sites, none mention a new version which leads me (and others) to believe that there is no new version.

There could be several reasons why you have your experience. From used/found balls, overruns, to promotionals...I don't know.

If you believe it's a new version, continue to do so. If I'm wrong and the info isn't out to the public yet, that's fine. Can we drop this now?

I will contact them to verify, even though YOU are the one working for a Golf Publication.

It is nice to see that you can't take the word of a fellow GolfWRXer, and not provide any facts other than that you have never seen them yourself, and no I was not buying 'used/found balls'. They were brand new in the box Callaway Tour ix golf balls that were being reduced in price to make way for a newer introduction, similar to what is currently happening with the TM TP line of balls.

Now I will drop this until I find out from Callaway.

Cheers!

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I usually play the Z-star x....ran out and the only thing the shop had was Callaway balls. Got a sleeve of the iX and played a round with them. Was very impressed. They were good in the wind. They were longer than the Z-star x and I had no prob;lem getting them to check up on the greens....I'm not really worrying about what damn sound my putters going to make when I'm putting really. My concentration is on making a good stroke....so if you say they are clicky then I guess they are...of course I say your concentration should be focused somewhere else but......I'm going to give the iX a go for a couple of rounds and see how I like them but my initial thoughts are that they are a nice ball.

I have played golf since the late 70s. I have played so many balls, I can't remember. The Callaway ix is the only ball that I really think improved my game. They also have a very tough hide. A well struck ball sounds good no matter what the brand.

Cobra ZL 10.5 Blur
Burner 09 4 thru PW
Cleveland 52 56 58
Sabretooth
Chrome Yellow Speed Regime 1

Love the ix. If you play in any wind you will like this ball. Goes very far. Also has plenty of spin. I dont understand how anyone can hate it. It is VERY similar to PROV1x. A little less spin all around than prov1x, which is great for my game. But I still like the prov1x. and the b330s, and the tm black....all the tour balls out are great.

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/rating...s?currentPage=2

This last HotList article got me looking at the Tour ix for being being low spin off the driver while retaining above average spin around the greens.

I guess I won't find out until I hit a few. Never seem to see these laying around on the course though. It's the usual assortment of Noodles, Top Flites and MaxFlis.

Anybody out there want to help me out with a complementary sleeve?

This last HotList article got me looking at the Tour ix for being being low spin off the driver while retaining above average spin around the greens.

I guess I won't find out until I hit a few. Never seem to see these laying around on the course though. It's the usual assortment of Noodles, Top Flites and MaxFlis.

I definitely would not say they have "above average spin around the greens"

Definitely they don't have above average spin around the green when compared to just the $40+ balls. But overall, they are the only $40+ ball that can truly compete with the low spin numbers of the cheaper balls and maintain a significant degree of spin around the green.

That's what caught my eye anyway.

LOL do you really want a sleeve?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

For two years I played the HX Tour and then the Tour ix. Went through a club/ball fitting and went to the Bridgestone330 RX. Last weekend for fun I played the ix again. Found that it was a bit longer off the driver with a lower trajectory; 2-3 yards longer off the irons but much harder to control around the greens. Didn't enjoy putting with them at all. Plus...the balls can scuff after being well struck a few times.

I was glad to go back to the 330's and would trade out the distance for the feel and control.

If you're search is purely for distance, probably a nice choice then.

For two years I played the HX Tour and then the Tour ix. Went through a club/ball fitting and went to the Bridgestone330 RX. Last weekend for fun I played the ix again. Found that it was a bit longer off the driver with a lower trajectory; 2-3 yards longer off the irons but much harder to control around the greens. Didn't enjoy putting with them at all. Plus...the balls can scuff after being well struck a few times.

I was glad to go back to the 330's and would trade out the distance for the feel and control.

That is why I play the Tour i, it's noticeably softer with a lot more green side control and nearly as long. The B330s didn't have enough green side spin for me and I HATED putting with it, that said I hear a lot of good things about the RX and I am glad that it is working for you. I actually thought of trying a sleeve just to see but after reading people's comparisons of it and the Srixon Zstar I decided that if I were to try something it would be the Srixon. Right now I am really happy with the Tour i's although super soft balls are always enticing for me (the Tour i is soft). :man_in_love:

Played a round on Memorial Day at a new course for me and nearly lost 3 sleeves....LOL. What a day. The greens we quite hard and fast and unless I hit a mile high wedge -- 2x beauties over trees out of the rough -- I could barely stick to the greens. I'm going to try the Tour i next time I'm there.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

That is why I play the Tour i, it's noticeably softer with a lot more green side control and nearly as long. The B330s didn't have enough green side spin for me and I HATED putting with it, that said I hear a lot of good things about the RX and I am glad that it is working for you. I actually thought of trying a sleeve just to see but after reading people's comparisons of it and the Srixon Zstar I decided that if I were to try something it would be the Srixon. Right now I am really happy with the Tour i's although super soft balls are always enticing for me (the Tour i is soft). :man_in_love:

Darn...

How is the durability on the i's? Every once in a while I'm striking the ball very crisply and then the ix's seem to scuff rather quickly. The Z stars seem to be getting rave reviews on this board...have you tried those?

Before walking 9 last night, I found a Tour ix in the club's reclaimed ball bin. $1 to try it out didn't seem unreasonable. I managed to keep it through 9 holes. That's a decent start. I really liked the way the ball played off the tee. On the first approach shot I noticed the "clicky" issue someone mentioned earlier in the post. It definitely had a different sound and feel from 150yds. Nothing noticable on the green. It seemed to perform well off the putter.

Overall a decent test drive. I'm going to pick up a dozen and give them a try.

I haven't tried the Zstar yet but the durability of the Tour i is outstanding in my experiences. Since the cover is infused with tungsten it tends to get blueish/purpleish marks on it if you really get into it instead of the immense shredding that other balls get.

Even though I can put some hurt on a ball the Tour i take it well. While the Zstar and RX may be super soft balls the Tour i is a soft ball, if you mishit it it will let you know but it won't punish you like the old Hex Tours did/do. A solid "B" grade swing on the Tour i gives a nice, compressed feeling. :yahoo:

First, are you guys playing in tournaments? if so, the mud that these callaway balls pic up is way more than normal dimples. Unless you are playing on coarses that are set up for a pga tour event these balls are worthless.

Also, I would urge you to compare to the new b330s. I don't work for brigestone, but I got all the best players at my club playing them this year. Most were die hard prov1 guys.

First, are you guys playing in tournaments? if so, the mud that these callaway balls pic up is way more than normal dimples. Unless you are playing on coarses that are set up for a pga tour event these balls are worthless.

Also, I would urge you to compare to the new b330s. I don't work for brigestone, but I got all the best players at my club playing them this year. Most were die hard prov1 guys.

I dont notice any mud you talk about. I love the IX, just bought 4 more dozen to stock up. Never been a fan of the B330s (too soft) or the B330 (Hard cover). The IX is the longest premium ball off the tee for me. I got my buddy to try it and he picked up a solid yardage gain over the V1X. I think the lower spin is the difference maker.

Don't notice the mud issue either. No thanks on the B330S for me, way too much spin. I loved the B330 off the tee, off the irons and full wedge shots but the ball is so hard around the greens its nearly unplayable IMO.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

While there are differences it is interesting to note that the new B330s/B330 now use the same 4 piece construction design that the Tour i/ix already have. The B330s spun too much off of the driver and nowhere near enough on the greens for me and it had trouble holding its line on the putting green (yes I did compare it to other balls in a putt-off) and it compressed weird. It was this lack of greenside control and putting that lead me to the PV1 and it was the PV1 that I measured the Tour i against. The Tour i spun less off of the tee and it was VERY comparable in greenside control AND putting. The only thing that the PV1 did better was that it rolled further for the same amount of effort but after a couple of rounds I adjusted to this difference and haven't looked back since.