Do you carry both?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry both as my rangefinder is 6 years old and I have updated to a Bushnell XGC. I am anal and just can't throw away the rangefinder because I have something different or newer.
One reason I got the GPS is I wanted to to know exactly how far I hit my drives and I was just guessing before.
As stated before I am anal and keep my stats ( lenght of drives, fairways hit, greens hit, up and downs, sandies, putts and penalties)

I started with a Skycaddie. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then last year playing in some statewide tournaments, noticed all the really good players/D1 college kids had the laser. I had to get one to find out what was best. I like them both together, they work as a team. I can get say, the exact distance to the back of the green, and know how far the pin is from me too. Just knowing that the pin is in the "back position" doesn't tell me how much room there is between the flag and the edge of the green. For, example, knowing that I only have 5 yards from the pin to the rough behind it can be very usefull information. If I had to give up one, it would be my GPS I suppose, I can estimate better with the laser what the GPS gives me compared to the other way around.

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I think a laser + yardage book would be the ideal combination, and the GPS forgoes the need to carry/maintain a yardage book. The GPS *is* my electronic yardage book, showing me things that the laser cannot. The laser is my caddie, giving me exact distances to pins and targets. So I use both, and I am surprised that there are so many of you doing this as well. They both have strengths, and they really complement each other well on the course.

For example:
How long is the hole playing today? GPS gives this info accurately, and very quickly for better club selection off the tee (except par 3's)
How far to the water hazard before the green? Laser cannot hit it, but GPS gives you layup and carry distances
How far did you hit that drive, or 3-wood? A GPS is the best way to determine this information.

On large greens F/B/C points don't really give enough information. A laser provides confidence here.
There will always be points that are not marked on your GPS. A laser can often ping a bunker, tree, or other landmark for additional information.
On the practice range, a laser gives you precise distances to flags, poles, trees, or other targets that GPS cannot.

I love having both, and I don't allow it to slow down my pace of play as each one is used for different purposes--I'd say I have my yardages decision quicker than most people because I have the right tool for the job no matter what.

I used to to think a couple of yards would make a difference in my game so I bought a rangefinder. I figured it would be more versatile as well since it is a self-contained device (not dependent on someone else's mapped data).

I had a chance to pick up a GPS for practically nothing so I figured "why not?" (I never would have spent $300 or $400 on one).

I don't miss the additional accuracy of the laser... and the GPS gives me yardages to layups, end of fairways, etc. that I can't even see. Plus it just does it; no having to mess with it.

Needless to say I got rid of the Nikon 'cause I just didn't use it anymore.

Use what you feel most comfortable with and confident in.

I haven't used my rangefinder for years, but started to carry both along fairly recently. I will use the GPS mostly, especially for managing my game off the tee on par 4/5s and for 2nd shots on par 5's, pulling the laser rangefinder out occasionally for a pin location here and there, depending on if I deem it a pin I want to shoot directly at or not.

If I had to give up one or the other it would be the rangefinder due to limited usefulness (line-of-sight requirement) while the GPS can give me multiple yardages to multiple targets, seen and unseen, pretty much at a glance.

Don't really use either. If I were to use one, the laser rangefinder would probably be ideal, but I find it more interesting to go into an unknown course and just game it by what I see. I know my distances pretty well and I know how to eye it up, so I don't see a reason for any of that kind of stuff. I also notice after playing with others who do use GPS, while it is effective, it can really slow down play, which is something that doesn't bode with my game to well. When I am in a rhythm with the rest of my group, I don't like having to slow down.

I voted for the Range finders though, because I think for practicality reasons it would be something I'd probably use before a GPS (and for price alone...).

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='Chappie' post='1921565' date='Aug 29 2009, 02:29 PM']I also notice after playing with others who do use GPS, while it is effective, it can really slow down play[/quote]
I can't see how someone who knows how to use their GPS would ever slow down play. If anything, not having to hunt for yardage markers or pace off distances would speed up play. No doubt proper use of both laser and GPS rangefinders can speed up play.

Also, why would you think that laser is cheaper than GPS? Depending on the model, quite the opposite is true--doubly so for the new GPS apps that work on your phone.

[quote name='west coast duffer' post='1921678' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:43 PM']I have an igolf gps and it gives me enough basic information and never slows me down. I feel unless your a scratch golfer or close to it throwing darts at the pin most people don't need that much information to be hitting eveything in sight with a laser range finder.[/quote]

Respectfully disagree. I've played in a foursome where the skycaddie was off by as much as 5-10 yds...could be the difference between clubs IMO. That could mean winding up in a hazard as opposed to being on the floor. To each his own, but I don't see the lasers as "for scratch golfers only" just because they happen to be more accurate on certain occasions. In fact, when I play with GPS users, they tend to go by my marked yardage when similar shots are being hit.

Laser Rangefinder vs. GPS

There is no right or wrong choice; you'll find the users divided on this issue.

The GPS guys love their units, and the laser boys enjoy theirs. And it appears, some, enjoy both!

I’ve had the opportunity to use both technologies, numerous times.

My personal experiences about the pros and cons of a GPS…

(Skycaddy )

Pros:

GPS devices are brainless to operate. Just look at the screen and your information is right there. On “5 star” tracks, many of the hazards are pointed out, and most forced carry distances are also included in the database. After hitting, you can easily measure your shots. Front/center/back green numbers are quite useful, and the constantly adjusting distances are actually pretty nice. The Skycaddy definitely has a “coolness” factor.

Cons:

Specifically, "some" blind hazards are not mentioned, several times for no apparent reason it doesn't/can't get a signal. Precise distances to the flag are "guesstimates" at best.

The data for user-measured tracks is only as good as the person pacing the green.

Not every course is in the database. You can pace off your own course information, but that’s of little help the first time you play a course.

For Skycaddy (and a few other brands) you have to pay an annual subscription fee. The fee is less if you just use courses in one state, if you want a national plan, the fee is higher. This is a recurring cost, you rarely “own” the information. Prior to playing a course, you have to upload the specific course information from your PC to your unit. It’s not at all difficult to do.

One day I got hooked up with a guy who had the exact same unit as myself. Side by side the numbers were very close, but rarely matched each other exactly. That really made me think twice about the accuracy of the unit.

My personal experience with Laser Units…

Bushnell Medalist

Pros:

EXACT distances to flags. This is especially useful on those 100 yards and in wedge shots. I really like the exact number you can get on the Par 3's. Although distances of tee shots is nice to know, my entire skins portfolio is based on my approach shots. For me, I prefer to know precise numbers. I play a few courses, including my home track, where some of the greens are 40-50 YARDS deep. It can be tough to get pin high, when pin high can vary by 3 clubs. (for the record, Quicksilver has GPS on the carts, I rarely look at it)

No uploading courses, you can pull your rangefinder out and measure just about anything, anytime. The ability to play any course in the world, anytime is for me the most glaring difference in the technologies. (An what laser owner here has not measured the distance to his neighbors' house on day 1???)

I have recently upgraded my rangefinder to one that uses “Pinseeker” technology. It is absolutely light years ahead of my old Bushnell 400. I can now capture flags almost instantly from hundreds of yards out.

If you need to know how far ahead the group in front of you is, or exact carry over a trap, or how far your archery target is placed, or anything else you can see. The information can be had instantly. Plus the magnification makes it real easy to check out the cart girl!

Battery life is phenomenal, one 9 volt battery goes many, many rounds. Once the low battery indicator lights, I still have about 4 rounds left before it dies. I've become adept at measuring to/over hazards, carry numbers and lay-ups.

You can measure the information you need for that particular shot. For example, if a hazard crosses the fairway at an angle, you can shoot any part of the hazard to get the carry on your line, not just the part that the GPS unit assumes or has measured.

At the practice range, you can shoot the 100/150/200/etc. signs, or unlabeled flags, traps etc., and find out exactly how far they are from your teebox.

Remember, you can measure anything, anytime.

No recurring fees. Except for a $3 battery you can purchase anywhere, and it will last a long, long time (assuming you are using the one that requires a 9 volt)

I *really* like the no downloading or annual fee feature. I really can't be bothered with that nonsense.

Caye Chapel in Belize is <still> not in any GPS database....

My golf game (bad as it is) takes me to tracks on a moments notice, my Bushnell is ready to fire anytime. Once our roving skins game was headed to a course, one of the guys got there early and found out half the greens had been aerated. Via cell phones the game was moved to another nearby track. My Skycaddy played the role of paperweight that day.

Cons:

Sometimes flags 300 + yards out are difficult to "shoot" (especially red/blue ones). You need a line of sight to the target or, you have to chop the distances. Measuring played shots is a little different as well, i.e., you normally have to shoot the ball washer/tee bench if you want to figure your tee shots from the fairway.

You'll hear GPS proponents say repeatedly "You need a line of site to get a lasered number".

It’s absolutely true a line of sight is needed.

However, I play golf on some amazingly hilly, treed terrain, I still have a line of site for just about all of my shots to the green.

It's rarely an issue. If it’s 5% of my shots, I’ll trade the ability to use it on 100% of all the golf courses for being able to use the device only 95% of the time.

There have been many, many rounds where it's never been a problem.

If I am stuck behind a tree, I can still use my laser to shoot the top of the tree to get a carry number over the tree. (Remember the measure anything, anytime feature)

Trust me, if your main problem is a recurring need to find the distance from 3 fairways over, your issues will not be resolved with any distance-measuring device.

Personally, for my purposes, I prefer the rangefinder. Of course, that's my opinion.

Demo both if you can. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Either device will speed up your game and give you more confidence in your club selection

YMMV

2172724159_07d66425b1.jpg?v=0

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='stevestrike' post='1921618' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:07 PM'][quote name='Chappie' post='1921565' date='Aug 29 2009, 02:29 PM']I also notice after playing with others who do use GPS, while it is effective, it can really slow down play[/quote]
I can't see how someone who knows how to use their GPS would ever slow down play. If anything, not having to hunt for yardage markers or pace off distances would speed up play. No doubt proper use of both laser and GPS rangefinders can speed up play.

Also, why would you think that laser is cheaper than GPS? Depending on the model, quite the opposite is true--doubly so for the new GPS apps that work on your phone.
[/quote]

Because you have to pay for GPS. No matter what you are eventually going to be paying more.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

I currently carry both but only use the GPS on blind shots. When I need accurate distances, I rely on the rangefinder because I don't trust the GPS. A golfing companion and myself both have Sky Caddies. I have seen instances when we are standing side by side on a tee box and are getting differences of up to 16 yards when measuring to the center of green, although most of the time the differences are usually less than 5 yards.

Ping G30 10.5* Driver
Callaway Big Bertha 815 14* Fairway
Cobra Z-Fly 3-4 & 4-5 Hybrids
Mizuno MP30 5-PW
Ping Glide GW SW LW
SC Studio Design 1.5 Black Pearl

I carry both, but I only use the rangefinder when I need an exact yardage to carry a hazard/obstacle or if the GPS reading seems off. I've never actually come up with a time where the GPS was far off enough to make a difference (1-3 yds) so I usually go GPS 99% of the time. Both are good to have as long as they don't slow play. For pace of play, GPS is hands-down better.

I use GPS, which I clip to my belt, off tee on particular holes to water hazards (which are difficult to read with rangefinder) and to pre-mapped lay-up locations on blind dog-leg holes and par-5 holes, and use my Bushnell 1500 any time I'm within my 5-iron distance from green (currently that means within 160 yds) to determine distance to pin. I also always use it on par-3 tees and share the distance measurement with whomever I am playing with. In fact, on par-3 tees I frequently use BOTH rangefinder for distance to flag, and GPS for distance to middle of green. That way I know approx how much distance I have from front of green to pin -- i.e. whether pin is in front or back of green. Helps me decide which club to use to avoid going short, or over, green by using "more" club when pin is near front of green, and "less" club when pin is near back of green.

I have both but don't always use my rangefinder. Only have it in the bag because I got that first then the GPS. Although, sometimes I do use it on par 3's to get the exact distance to the pin. But only if the group ahead is still on the green so I can tag the player when he/she puts the flag back in the hole. Otherwise, I don't have steady enough hands to hit the pin.

Only carry rangefinder, but one additional use is for the second shot on par 5s. I don't tend to go for too many of them, but once in a while I will find out I am much closer to the pin than I thought. More importantly though, knowing I have 285 or 260 to the pin puts the right iron in my hadn to get to my preferred spot for the third shot. The 100 yard marker is not what I want to shhot for with a front or back pin no some of these huge greens par 5s tend to have.

[quote name='overtona' post='1920660' date='Aug 28 2009, 09:11 PM']My golfing buddies say I'm obsessive with knowing the exact distance. Therefore I use both a rangefinder and a GPS while playing. I don't think I'm really holding up play when I use both. Does any on else do this too?[/quote]

I use both. I have a Bushnell Tour V2 laser and GolfLogix GPS-8. I use both in most rounds, but rarely for the same shot. I use the GPS when precise distance isn't critical, and I use the laser when I do want some exact numbers or when I want the distance to a feature that isn't programmed into the GPS.

I find the laser to be the most useful overall. If I only had one, it would be the laser because it is self contained. No subscriptions or dependence on someone else programming the courses. I can shoot any object in sight. I find it an invaluable tool for planning layups, for ensuring that I have the right club to carry bunkers and other hazards, or to be sure that I don't overshoot greens. The GPS can sometimes help with some of those issues, but not all of them all the time.

The GPS is best for a quick reference when I don't need a precise measurement, and for the fairly rare times when I can't see the target.

I have a rangefinder, but recently bought the Golfshot GPS for iphone and love it. Especially the scorecard feature. I have found it to be very accurate. I will pull out the rangefinder on occasion to confirm a distance (or maybe a harzard area) or to locate my ball while waiting on a partners shot. Plus if the battery craps out on the iphone before the round is over, I have a backup with the rangefinder. If I had to choose one....Golfshot GPS (plus I have a backup battery for the phone).

I prefer my laser to the GPS units I've occasionally used, mostly because I enjoy the freedom of knowing I've got the exact right yardage. I've had cart-mounted GPS units vary by 15 yards afte I've moved up a single yard. I've gotten pretty good at aiming at flags, a red or yellow stake in front of a water hazard, the back edge of a bunker, etc., and I never fear that I've gotten an incorrect reading.

My father in law, who owns an older laser, has a really tough time holding the thing steady enough to get a confident reading. He pretty much doesn't use it anymore, and I'm sure would benefit from the lack of "skill" required by a GPS. The need to hold steady is a big deal if you can't do it.

I own both (Bushnell 1600 TE, SkyCaddy SG5). I love my 1600 and use it exclusively on courses that I have played before. I purchased the SkyCaddy to use when I traveled to new courses thinking that having distances to hazards and carrys would come in handy. I am having a little buyers remorse at this time. I have used the SG5 maybe 5 times since I purchased it back in January. For me, it is a very expensive paper weight. I probably will try and sell the unit.

I've carry both because each has it's strengths and weaknesses. SG5 provides yardages to front and back of the green and approximate pin quadrants; Pinseeker 1500 tournament provides accurate yardage to the pin and using both provides yardages from pins to aprons, layup yardages and to undefined targets like tree's and shrubs.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 5 months later...

As of today I will be carrying both. I took advantage of Best Buy's $100 off the uPro. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Callaway+-+uPro+Golf+GPS/9492293.p?id=1218116830396&skuId=9492293&st=upro&cp=1&lp=1

I will more than likely use the uPro and Laser at my home course but when I travel I will probably just use my Pinseeker 1500.

I will have to use my uPro only in events at my club due to the slope mode on my Pinseeker.

I'll be perfectly happy with the laser.

I've been using them for years when for archery hunting and elk and sheep hunting in Wyoming, Montana, and British Columbia. I've found that if I've spent $5000 - $8000 for an elk or sheep hunt I want the accuracy of a laser for knowing how far my shot is.

This familiarity with the laser tells me it is best to be accurate than a rough idea.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]